Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Soothing Cacophony posted:

I bought Life is Strange on a lark and ended up absolutely loving it. Anyone have any recommendations for something similar? More for the characters than for the gameplay -- I also tried the Telltale Walking Dead game and that wasn't too engaging.

I think the closest in feel I've gotten to LiS has to be Oxenfree, I got it for free on Twitch Prime and enjoyed it enough to play it twice.
You can try Remember Me which was done by the same studio as Life is Strange - though it's mostly a fighting game with a few sequences of memory manipulation like the time fuckery bits in LiS.
The other good Telltale games are Tales from the Borderlands (for space action comedy) and The Wolf Among Us (for fairy tale noir.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

-Blackadder- posted:

Ok! I'm finally done putting together my Steam Cart. It's very different from what I posted earlier, mostly due to suggestions I got here on the forums about what games to add/remove. I've gone through it myself five or six times and culled about much as I can on my own. Ignore whether a game is on my wishlist or not, I was mostly just using it as a bookmark.

If you goons can do me a solid and take a chainsaw to it, I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on whatever's left.

I have sent you a PM that might trim the list by a tiny furry bit.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Do what's saved me countless dollars this sale: Go item by item and ask yourself whether you'll either finish it, or even play it before the Thanksgiving sale.

If not, and there's no other extra reason to get it (price will increase, this is the first time it's on sale, DLC, etc.) then let it lie.

I very badly want Rise Of the Tomb Raider and Star Crawlers and the Baldur's Gate games, but I know I won't finish or play them until at least this Fall.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I very badly want Rise Of the Tomb Raider and Star Crawlers and the Baldur's Gate games, but I know I won't finish or play them until at least this Fall.

I swear I bought the Tomb Raider reboot really cheaply a year and a half after the game came out. This one is still over $20 dammit.

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

I think the closest in feel I've gotten to LiS has to be Oxenfree, I got it for free on Twitch Prime and enjoyed it enough to play it twice.
You can try Remember Me which was done by the same studio as Life is Strange - though it's mostly a fighting game with a few sequences of memory manipulation like the time fuckery bits in LiS.
The other good Telltale games are Tales from the Borderlands (for space action comedy) and The Wolf Among Us (for fairy tale noir.)

Picked this up, looks great, thanks!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

I swear I bought the Tomb Raider reboot really cheaply a year and a half after the game came out. This one is still over $20 dammit.

I picked up the GOTY edition for $15 some time ago. You probably got in on the same deal. Also got Deus Ex HR GOTY for $15 from the same site I think.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

markgreyam posted:

I have sent you a PM that might trim the list by a tiny furry bit.

Special thanks to markgreyam for Ring Runner and Dust!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Speaking of goon-made games, The Consuming Shadow is half-off, and is a product of Yahtzee, who made Zero Punctuation reviews and offered Lowtax first dibs. Lowtax offered to pay him in exposure, and he took his talents to South BeachThe Escapist, where they actually pay their writers.

It is EXTREMELY low-budget, just barely above the stuff that showed up on XBox Indie Games, and has some very bad and childish art assets.

That said... if you can get past that, it does a PHENOMENAL job at creeping you out. It very much feels like a spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness; what you perceive not only may not be true, but may be the game actively loving with you/your controls.

No real jump scares, just excellent writing and mood/tone management.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

-Blackadder- posted:

Ok! I'm finally done putting together my Steam Cart. It's very different from what I posted earlier, mostly due to suggestions I got here on the forums about what games to add/remove. I've gone through it myself five or six times and culled about much as I can on my own. Ignore whether a game is on my wishlist or not, I was mostly just using it as a bookmark.

If you goons can do me a solid and take a chainsaw to it, I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on whatever's left.

• Superhot: It's fun, but I'd probably wait on a deeper discount unless you want the VR version. Story mode is short and kinda dumb, and is really an intro to different challenge modes, where most of the meat of the game is. Chances are good it'll be in a bundle at some point too (it was in a humble monthly already)
  • Salt & Sanctuary seems ok, but it's got a little bit of jank to it
  • Zombie Army Trilogy: It's fun, but probably too difficult/a bit of a slog if you're playing it solo
  • Sniper Elite 3: I'd go for the bundle that includes the season pass for 4 more missions
  • Call of Duty World at War: why
  • RAGE: gently caress yeah it's a good deal for $2.50 and has visceral combat and good physics in it as well as one of the best video game shotguns (shotgun + pop rocket ammo). There's mixed opinions on the vehicle bits, but most of it isn't necessary if you don't like it (I didn't).

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ragequit posted:

I picked up the GOTY edition for $15 some time ago. You probably got in on the same deal. Also got Deus Ex HR GOTY for $15 from the same site I think.

Yeah, that's how I got DX:HR as well. The good old days :smith:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

If you're determined to get Recettar, definitely play it for an hour right away and find out if you need to refund it, because it is very divisive. I could not get past the ear-splitting screech of RPGMaker chiptunes and chirpy Japanese girls.

Outland still feels overpriced at a dollar. It's an incredibly bland platformer (granted with a nice and uncommon art aesthetic), Dust is better in every way, Rayman better still.

You have entirely too many lovely zombie games on that list.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Speaking of goon-made games, The Consuming Shadow is half-off, and is a product of Yahtzee, who made Zero Punctuation reviews and offered Lowtax first dibs. Lowtax offered to pay him in exposure, and he took his talents to South BeachThe Escapist, where they actually pay their writers.

It is EXTREMELY low-budget, just barely above the stuff that showed up on XBox Indie Games, and has some very bad and childish art assets.

That said... if you can get past that, it does a PHENOMENAL job at creeping you out. It very much feels like a spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness; what you perceive not only may not be true, but may be the game actively loving with you/your controls.

No real jump scares, just excellent writing and mood/tone management.

Seconding this. It feels deeply unpleasant to experience - just like how you want horror to work! The actual gameplay is fun, too!

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
More thanks to markgreyam for Beat Hazard and Dive Kick!

And a reminder I've still got some old bundle games laying for anyone interested...

See something you like, just add me and send a message up on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/-blackadder-/

Amnesia The Dark Descent
Starwolves 2
Death to Spies: Moment of Truth
Warlock 2: The Exiled
Broken Age
Alien Breed Trilogy
Fable: Lost Chapters
Shadow Run Returns
Trine 2: Complete Story + Goblin Menace Pack
Dropsy
Orbital Gear X3
Dungeon of the Endless - Crystal Pack
I am Bread
Switchcars
JumpJet Rex
Volume
Penarium
Steredenn
Wasted
Nova-111
Stikbold
GRAV
Shantae and the Pirates Curse
Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty
1993 Space Marine
Vertical Drop Heroes HD
Avalanche 2: Super Avalanche
Teddy Floppy Ear - Mountain Adventure X2
Between Me and the night bonus game X2
200% Mixed Juice Bonus Game

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 5, 2017

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I've been playing Linelight which is an excellent chill puzzle game. It's reviews on steam(168/2) and metacritic are very positive and it deserves the praise. It's only at 33% off but worth wishlisting for future sales.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/469790/Linelight/

Koburn fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 4, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Quick question, is Watch_Dogs worth playing? And is the season pass just a collection of the rest of the DLC combined? Making the "Complete Package" deal a bit of a ripoff since it's the season pass AND all the DLC included at a higher total price than just getting the season pass by itself?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hooray I got the stellaris Deluxe bundle for $45 before the sale ended! Bless Gaben! :pcgaming:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jerusalem posted:

Quick question, is Watch_Dogs worth playing? And is the season pass just a collection of the rest of the DLC combined? Making the "Complete Package" deal a bit of a ripoff since it's the season pass AND all the DLC included at a higher total price than just getting the season pass by itself?
Watch_Dogs 1 is bad, don't buy it. Creepy protagonist (in a bad weird way) that they expect you to relate to, dumb story, luckluster combat, super bad driving, boring city. The only things the game has going for it are the hacking mechanics that let you clear enemy locations without even stepping into them and spying on npc's phones gets some funny results. Both things get old pretty quickly though. Apparently the sequel turns things around but I haven't played it.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Jerusalem posted:

Yes, Watch Dogs is excellent fun, but the protagonist is ... odd and the story is trash, but the game itself is great and the MP game invasion stuff is awesome (although I met more than a few actual hackers which was a shame).

The only thing worthwhile in the Season Pass is the Bad Blood expansion, but it's really worth it, so either get that and save yourself a buck and a half or just go completionist I guess but really none of the rest of it is worth anything.

Edit: damnit I wanted to beat what I knew was going to be a negative response. Ignore that guy, he keeps on blowing out the same match over and over, are you really going to take his advice???

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The sequel is far superior. Like AssCreed 1 to AssCreed 2 superior. And you're not even missing any story beats there.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

watch dogs 1 was fine, but in a world with sleeping dogs and sr4 fine doesn't really cut it. wd2 is fantastic though.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Watch dogs 1 was utter poo poo and i even got it for free.

The second one is a legitimately great open world game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I might just skip straight to Watch_Dogs 2 since it sounds like it has the best parts of the first game and none of the negatives.

Also I will always believe in Agent Dale Cooper's word :shobon:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I should actually get Watch_Dogs 2 since it's on sale and I heard good things about it so thanks for mentioning the series. I felt like the first one had potential but just squandered it not knowing what it wanted to do - copy the gta recipe or do something more original. So it ended up being this weird annoying gta knock-off that didn't do anything particularly well.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

How is Watch Dogs 2 on the PS4? I can get it for console cheaper than on Steam.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

al-azad posted:

It's not on sale but from what I've seen Exanima is exactly that from an isometric perspective. It also hasn't updated in 5 months and I don't expect it'll ever be finished but eh, $15.

Added to wishlist and I'll keep an eye on it, thanks

Chargrilled Face
Nov 4, 2008
I've seen a few people saying that Hollowknight has weird/imprecise controls. Not sure if that's just a subjective thing for most people but I found that having vsync enabled in the game regularly made it drop my inputs. After I turned vsync off it felt much smoother. So give that a try if you thought it felt a bit weird. :)

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Antti posted:

How is Watch Dogs 2 on the PS4? I can get it for console cheaper than on Steam.

I've only played it on the PS4, so I can't compare it to the PC, but the PS4 version is totally fine -- looks good and controls well, everything works fine with the PS4 controller. I wouldn't have any hesitation about getting the PS4 version if you're interested in the game.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Edmond Dantes posted:

I've read a lot of bad stuff about Seraph since the sale started. I had it on my wishlist for some reason and have since axed it.

For all the praise it's getting, Dead Cells is still in Early Access, so you could probably hold on until next sale.

I've seen a lot of conflicting opinions about Salt and Sanctuary and Dust, so maybe wait for someone to chime in on those?

I'll throw in another point of view on dust and salt.

Dust only kept me interested for a couple hours then it was just too easy and lots of platforming. From what I remember controls were good and the game did look nice. Can't see much for replay ability but again I didn't get far enough to really tell.

Salt and Sanctuary is much darker and as people usually mention it's 2D Dark Souls. Combat is varied (depending on weapons/build) but very good IMO however it is not a great looking game. I have ~50 hours into it but I'm a huge Dark Souls fan. Lots of replay ability, tons of hidden stuff and I loved the environment with minimal (only one section really) platforming.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

-Blackadder- posted:

Me personally, I wasn't a fan of what I played of Sublevel Zero. Maybe it gets better, but early on you're fighting a bunch of static, bland looking enemies and the entire aesthetic didn't really do it for me. If you want a 6DOF shooter I think you're better off waiting for Overload to come out, which is being made by the actual Descent guys.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

As somebody who thought Fallout 4 was fun, should I pick up Fallout NV? I never tried it back when it came out. What about the DLC, is any of it really worth it or should I just get the main game?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

19++

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 2, 2017

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah, that's how I got DX:HR as well. The good old days :smith:

Whoops I meant Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - the latest one.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
So I picked up both Dishonored 2 and Prey from this sale and haven't played the former and have only done the first hour of the latter. I've loved it so far. But the real problem is that during this sale I picked up Sol Trader and haven't been able to put it down.

But first, let me also tell you about AI War (85% $2.54). So this one's a kind of Tower Defense + RTS with a chess-like layer of thinking ahead. It's best played in co-op because of just how vast everything tends to be and the fact that you'll want to keep your eyes on multiple things at once. The gist is that you're the last humans after an inevitable AI uprising and you're trying to defend yourselves while deep-striking the AI's cores. The TD part of this comes from managing the huge waves of ships the AI will send at you every so often, many times in response to what you've done. This leads to the thinking ahead aspect. There are several key targets across the galaxy that are advantageous to hit, some grant you research, some grant you a reduction in the AI's pressure, others are just special factories the AI has you'll want to shut down. But every time you do something aggressive, the AI's progress ramps up and will send more and badder guys your way.

There are also tactics to use like establishing a beachhead away from home to try and do deep strikes, doing a suicide mission with transports you're trying to protect jump after jump to hit a deeply embedded target, temporarily shoring up a system to get research and then pulling out before the AI hits you, etc. The AI doesn't pull any punches (instead of trying to make the AI pretend it's a human opponent they can just full on let it decisions based on all its info and such) and there highly customizable difficulty levels so you can make the game as easy or hard as you want. You can also customize the AI itself with many different personalities. This one's more aggressive, this one prefers to destroy your turrets, this one uses space trains to disrupt your poo poo (the game has some beautiful weirdness to it). It's a fun, massive game (my first game took 24+ hours in-game) and it's a great co-op experience with support for several players.

But for me (so far) the gem of the sale has been Sol Trader.

Sol Trader (75% $4.99) This is a one-man game with the tagline, "It's not what you know, it's who." This is an RPG lite game that puts you in the future of our solar system and lets you loose to do odd jobs for people in hopes of fulfilling one of many lifetime goals. Each character is generated and simulated with their own personalities and likes and dislikes (think Crusader Kings 2) and they each have their own information and opinions. It's a game largely of imagination (the conversations are kind of given as topics, not actual conversations) but I've been unable to put it down this whole sale. I had someone in a bar ask me to get information on their friend and when I asked them where their friend was they said the last time they saw them was on a completely different planet. So I went and rented a ship, flew to that planet, and started asking around. Sure enough, some people had heard of who I was looking for and gave me the last place they had seen them. So I checked it out and asked the employee there and they told me another location to find this person. I finally found them, and started up a conversation with them. I asked them about themselves, their job, how life was going, all that. I loaded up my rental ship with some commodities at the market and set off for home. Getting back, the person who asked me to do this wasn't in the bar, so I asked around and found them at their place of work, telling them all the information they wanted.

It's a weird game. It's janky. Very janky. But for some reason the fact that information is a kind of loose currency, the fact that all the characters are actually simulated people (again, think Crusader Kings 2), and the fact that you have to know how to talk to people (loosely speaking) make this a bizzare and interesting RPG-esque game that I can't put down after buying with my trading card money.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Palpek posted:

I should actually get Watch_Dogs 2 since it's on sale and I heard good things about it so thanks for mentioning the series. I felt like the first one had potential but just squandered it not knowing what it wanted to do - copy the gta recipe or do something more original. So it ended up being this weird annoying gta knock-off that didn't do anything particularly well.

If you do get it, don't bother playing it until the 10th. The 4th of July 'event' is ... not pleasant to experience on most sound systems.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Is the Steam Link worth it for $15? I usually have no problem with latency when Steam streaming my wireless laptop to wired PCs at home, but hooking things up is often a pain in the rear end when visiting friends or family. Reviews seem to be mixed over whether it's unbearably laggy or no lag at all.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Bought Dead Cells and Death Road to Canada, only played the latter so far because it's so addicting. Played today (July 4th), Uncle Sam showed up, died, exploded into an avatar of patriotic fury called MUSCLE EAGLE :911:

Buy Death Road to Canada.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

raditts posted:

Is the Steam Link worth it for $15? I usually have no problem with latency when Steam streaming my wireless laptop to wired PCs at home, but hooking things up is often a pain in the rear end when visiting friends or family. Reviews seem to be mixed over whether it's unbearably laggy or no lag at all.

I've only heard terrible things about it when it's used over WiFi. I love it but I've got everything on Ethernet.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Xaris posted:

No friend, you did it correct. Bethesda/Steam hosed up pricing

Base game: $2.50 (you did this correct)
DLC: The Knife of Dunwall + Brigmore Witches. ($3 x2)
Total: $8.5

These are the only two DLC you should get. They are their own mini-campigns but are two parts of a DLC campagin so you finish one and then it picksup right afterwards in the next one. They are also really good

The Definitive Edition includes Dunwall City Trials (mostly stupid) and some lovely Void pack which you don't need at all: $10

You saved yourself $1.5! Go sales

Thanks, just picked up the two DLC, the game has been great so far!

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I've only heard terrible things about it when it's used over WiFi. I love it but I've got everything on Ethernet.

I've heard some people say that it's okay over a decent 802.11ac connection (with the host on ethernet), but I've also heard people insist the 1366x768 TN monitor they fished out of a dumpster is perfectly fine, so I'm not really sure what my point is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Is this the thread to desperately trade steam cards in before the event ends?

• Locked thread