Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
It is safe to assume that all demons are apostles. This no reason to think otherwise. However, mythical creatures like trolls, fairies, and merfolk are not demons and not apostles. Mozgus appears to be something other, like angels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zeruel posted:

Was Mozgus really an apostle priest? Huh.

Apostle spawn. Just like the slug-count's guard captain in the Black Swordsman arc, but significantly more badass.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

EmmyOk posted:

I forgot his body turned into an old man! I wonder about Zodd so.

There's a crazy fan theory that Zodd is Guts' dad, based entirely on the fact that they have similar hair and ears.

Personally, I'm fine with never learning what Zodd's deal is. I don't really want to find out that he, too, is just a lovely old man or like a useless baby or something. Zodd is fine as Zodd and if he ever dies I hope his corpse just gets exploded before we can see it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
That's dumb, Zodd's been alive and sighted on battlefields for centuries. It's like the first thing the manga ever says about him.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I probably won't read the Millennium Falcon Arc until next weekend but that gives me plenty of time to let the previous two arcs percolate in my brain. My current pet theory or more accurately what I am currently trying to make sense of in my mind is the Skull Man. When the gang descended the tower to save Griffith the princess dropped a torch and it landed on a corpse with the sacrificial brand at the bottom of the pit. At the time I assumed it meant this would be where the eclipse occurred as it was a holy demonic site but then I forgot about it when they escaped with Griffith. The following I know are facts

At the bottom of the pit there are many bodies at least one of whom has the brand and presumably they all do.

An emperor unified all of the warring midlands to make a great empire but its capital city was smashed up by God and thrown into the pit

The Skull Man is supernatural and does not like the inhumans. He's also all but explicitly (possibly even explicitly stated to be the emperor)

So my theory initially was that the Emperor offered up his entire city to the Godhand to gain immense power as a demon. This explains why the Skull Man is now supernatural and also why that amazing city effectively disappeared overnight. The problems with it though are that the Skull Man hates the Godhand and is actively fighting them which wouldn't make sense if he had sought power from them. Perhaps he gained power from them and wanted to overthrow them which is why he saved Guts too, an ally in his war with the Godhand. In this scenario he's not actually a good guy he's just looking for allies to aide his own evil machinations. I don't think that's right though because he also saved Luca which was totally unnecessary and not what you'd expect from a secret baddy. This leads me to believe that somehow someone else sacrificed the whole city for power but this leaves two new questions. Firstly it is understandable that the emperor could sacrifice his demesne but it'd be weird if one of his citizens or even ministers did it. Secondly if he didn't offer up his kingdom or something as sacrifice then where did he get his power from? I'm guessing either way that ancient city was on the receiving end of a similar event to the one where Griffith became Femto.

Nuebot posted:

There's a crazy fan theory that Zodd is Guts' dad, based entirely on the fact that they have similar hair and ears.

Personally, I'm fine with never learning what Zodd's deal is. I don't really want to find out that he, too, is just a lovely old man or like a useless baby or something. Zodd is fine as Zodd and if he ever dies I hope his corpse just gets exploded before we can see it.

That would be quite strange and I hope it's not the case because I prefer Guts being all human and standing up to these supernatural beings despite being "just human". Zodd has been around 500 years or so therefore if he was Guts dad it'd be after he became a demon.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's dumb, Zodd's been alive and sighted on battlefields for centuries. It's like the first thing the manga ever says about him.

It is very dumb and goofy. The ear thing is the only real link between them but "kind of pointy ears" doesn't mean they're any more related than Grunbeld and Isidro who both have red hair.

EmmyOk posted:

Secondly if he didn't offer up his kingdom or something as sacrifice then where did he get his power from? I'm guessing either way that ancient city was on the receiving end of a similar event to the one where Griffith became Femto.

Skullomania is a cool and mysterious dude. He seems to know a lot about the brand and has a beef with Void.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Being centuries old doesn't render you unable to gently caress. Just ask Slan.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Being centuries old doesn't render you unable to gently caress. Just ask Slan.

Oh you know I read that differently, I thought they were saying that Zodd was Gambino. :v:

I guess he could be Guts' biological dad, but, uh, there's no particular reason to think so.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The prevailing theory is that Skullomania is indeed King Gaiseric, but he and his kingdom were sacrifices for Void. He's basically walking the same path that Guts is on, just much further down.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Begemot posted:

The prevailing theory is that Skullomania is indeed King Gaiseric, but he and his kingdom were sacrifices for Void. He's basically walking the same path that Guts is on, just much further down.

Yeah that's where I am at the minute because he Void is the one he refers to directly. I wonder how he's become supernatural then. I wonder if Guts will get any new Demon fighting gear now that Griffith is back.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

By the way the Millennium Falcon arc is like, twice as long as the Golden Age iirc.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

So my theory initially was that the Emperor offered up his entire city to the Godhand to gain immense power as a demon. This explains why the Skull Man is now supernatural and also why that amazing city effectively disappeared overnight. The problems with it though are that the Skull Man hates the Godhand and is actively fighting them which wouldn't make sense if he had sought power from them. Perhaps he gained power from them and wanted to overthrow them which is why he saved Guts too, an ally in his war with the Godhand. In this scenario he's not actually a good guy he's just looking for allies to aide his own evil machinations. I don't think that's right though because he also saved Luca which was totally unnecessary and not what you'd expect from a secret baddy. This leads me to believe that somehow someone else sacrificed the whole city for power but this leaves two new questions. Firstly it is understandable that the emperor could sacrifice his demesne but it'd be weird if one of his citizens or even ministers did it. Secondly if he didn't offer up his kingdom or something as sacrifice then where did he get his power from? I'm guessing either way that ancient city was on the receiving end of a similar event to the one where Griffith became Femto.

I am fairly sure that they address this somewhere in the tower of conviction arc - Gaiseric (the emperor) imprisoned a high ranking priest who then sacrificed the kingdom to become Void. Gaiseric somehow survived (and was likely branded too) and became the Skull Knight over time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

IN A WORLD full of death, one man would sacrifice everything in order to achieve his dreams.

BERSERK. Coming to theaters this fall.

temple posted:

It is safe to assume that all demons are apostles. This no reason to think otherwise. However, mythical creatures like trolls, fairies, and merfolk are not demons and not apostles. Mozgus appears to be something other, like angels.

Is it safe to assume? Apostles are dudes from earth. During the eclipse it seemed like there were a poo poo ton of demons just chilling in the not-reality space that the godhand exist in. Non-human demons.

I could be wrong though. Could be those demons were all the apostles from like years and years and years built up.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 4, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zodd being an old Apostle who's been going around for centuries having dust ups with Skully and looking for great fights is all he needs to be and anything beyond that would be less good.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Zaphod42 posted:

IN A WORLD full of death, one man would sacrifice everything in order to achieve his dreams.

BERSERK. Coming to theaters this fall.

Is it safe to assume? Apostles are dudes from earth. During the eclipse it seemed like there were a poo poo ton of demons just chilling in the not-reality space that the godhand exist in. Non-human demons.

I could be wrong though. Could be those demons were all the apostles from like years and years and years built up.

I think they were all apostles, you can see the Slug Count and the hot woman apostle Guts kills on like the first page of Berserk during the Eclipse.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Zodd being an old Apostle who's been going around for centuries having dust ups with Skully and looking for great fights is all he needs to be and anything beyond that would be less good.
Oh shitballs. What if Void-Skullknight-Zodd parallels Griffith-Guts-Casca?

Why are Zodd and Skull Knight fighting anyway? Zodd presumably fights "the powerful" "just because", but was made an apostle. SK has a clear thing with Void, but conversations with Zodd don't negate some previous event, particularly if SK no longer really cares. Prior to the intertwining of the planes, however, only Zodd, Wyald, the Count, and the Egg are noted as apostles, though I guess others talk of many of the new band of falcon's members in the past tense after the fact. Since the Godhand only seem to require some sacrifice to grant apostlehood, nothing prevents a weird situation where Zodd became an apostle at the same time Void went Godhand, or shortly thereafter. "May not want what you want", says Skull Knight, of Casca... but in reference to what past experience?

^^^ Oh yeah, slut woman quasi-apostle or something. Well, it still seems strange that there aren't really apostles "around" other than Zodd until after Griffith ascends.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think apostles have to be grand, those demons could all be regular people that received a behelit.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Googled Femto and wikipedia has this to say about femtograms. "The HIV-1 virus weighs about 1 x 10−15 g or 1 fg"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Also I'm pretty sure Rosine from Mist Valley shows up at the Band of the Hawk's injured people camp before the eclipse but I don't think she shows up during it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

temple posted:

I don't think apostles have to be grand, those demons could all be regular people that received a behelit.

Oh no they're not all grand. It just seems like a ton of demons if they're really all people who got behelits. That's like, thousands of thousands of behelits.

Would make sense to me if there were demons just living outside of reality, or if the godhand could just manifest demons at will that don't require a human origin.

GodFish posted:

I think they were all apostles, you can see the Slug Count and the hot woman apostle Guts kills on like the first page of Berserk during the Eclipse.

Yeah definitely could be.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

^^^ Oh yeah, slut woman quasi-apostle or something. Well, it still seems strange that there aren't really apostles "around" other than Zodd until after Griffith ascends.

Yeaaaah, but Miura's been pretty honest that he was making up a ton of the story as he went along. The band of the hawk didn't even exist until several issues into the series. He kinda filled in that story later so it could be that there are apostles all around pre-eclipse its just they weren't really shown because of retcons.

Or alternatively pre-eclipse they were all in hiding and pretending to be humans / saints / angels whatever, and it was the eclipse that brought them all out of the woodwork. The eclipse definitely summoned a ton of apostles to the scene so that's feasible.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Why are Zodd and Skull Knight fighting anyway? Zodd presumably fights "the powerful" "just because", but was made an apostle. SK has a clear thing with Void, but conversations with Zodd don't negate some previous event, particularly if SK no longer really cares. Prior to the intertwining of the planes, however, only Zodd, Wyald, the Count, and the Egg are noted as apostles, though I guess others talk of many of the new band of falcon's members in the past tense after the fact. Since the Godhand only seem to require some sacrifice to grant apostlehood, nothing prevents a weird situation where Zodd became an apostle at the same time Void went Godhand, or shortly thereafter. "May not want what you want", says Skull Knight, of Casca... but in reference to what past experience?

Zodd serves Griffith and the Godhand, so before Femto he probably just did Void's bidding and probably hosed with SK because Void told him to. Or maybe just because SK is the biggest badass around :)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 4, 2017

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh no they're not all grand. It just seems like a ton of demons if they're really all people who got behelits. That's like, thousands of thousands of behelits.

Would make sense to me if there were demons just living outside of reality, or if the godhand could just manifest demons at will that don't require a human origin.

I'm pretty sure there are actually thousands of behilits. You can see a bunch of them being made by the Idea of Evil in the deleted chapter. Turning into an apostle seems to prevent death by aging, so unless apostles are being killed at regular intervals, you are going to have a ton of them by the time the Eclipse happens 800-something years after the first member of the Godhand was born. If anything, the number of apostles there for the Eclipse seems too small.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Begemot posted:

I don't think Skull Knight has a brand, which I guess is why he isn't outside of fate like Guts and Casca.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

RatHat posted:

I don't think Skull Knight has a brand, which I guess is why he isn't outside of fate like Guts and Casca.

How would you tell? He's a skeleton completely encased in armor! :v:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

How would you tell? He's a skeleton completely encased in armor! :v:

That's how he beat the brand! He took his skin off.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

GodFish posted:

Also I'm pretty sure Rosine from Mist Valley shows up at the Band of the Hawk's injured people camp before the eclipse but I don't think she shows up during it.

I think Rickert sees her on the lake? Along with a bunch of other monsters; having to escape from them is what keeps him from entering the Eclipse IIRC.

Maybe the area around the Eclipse was a little affected too, like it bent reality around itself just enough to let them run a little wild? The fantasy stuff being around a little prior to the world transforming always confuses me a little when I reread...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

It's incredibly questionable whether "being outside of fate" is even really a thing given Guts' actions ultimately led to Griffith's physical rebirth.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Genocyber posted:

It's incredibly questionable whether "being outside of fate" is even really a thing given Guts' actions ultimately led to Griffith's physical rebirth.

Nah, Eggbert would have done that eventually anyway. What Guts and Caska bring to the table is the Baby following them around, and Eggs adding the Baby to the mix was definitely not part of the plan.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah definitely could be.

Yeaaaah, but Miura's been pretty honest that he was making up a ton of the story as he went along. The band of the hawk didn't even exist until several issues into the series. He kinda filled in that story later so it could be that there are apostles all around pre-eclipse its just they weren't really shown because of retcons.

Or alternatively pre-eclipse they were all in hiding and pretending to be humans / saints / angels whatever, and it was the eclipse that brought them all out of the woodwork. The eclipse definitely summoned a ton of apostles to the scene so that's feasible.

What? Of course there were apostles pre-eclipse. We directly see two of them, Zodd and Wyald, and that eclipse doesn't, like, fundamentally change the world or anything. There are old legends about behelits, and just based on the number of God Hand there were FOUR other eclipses.

Narratively, it makes perfect sense. Guts is slowly introduced to the sort of nightmare of these weird demons first with Zodd, and then with Wyald, and then in the eclipse. After that, he is literally going around hunting apostles. That's why there are more apostles in the series. He's not a mercenary going around fighting in wars, he's specifically hunting down monsters.

The reason there are so many apostles at the eclipse when it doesn't seem like there are that many before is that the world is big. The God Hand could summon every apostle on the whole planet to the eclipse, to celebrate the induction of a new member. It's a weird alternate dimension, that doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility. Across the WHOLE WORLD, there could be hundreds of apostles but they wouldn't necessarily be super common in every day life.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Begemot posted:

Across the WHOLE WORLD, there could be hundreds of apostles but they wouldn't necessarily be super common in every day life.
This also makes sense when you consider (lost chapter spoilers) the reason they exist, which is to give humanity a reason to explain why bad things happen. They exist to give flesh and bone to the horror stories that we create to explain loss, suffering and the unexplainable. The Idea of Evil creates these to feed these ideas, thereby also making itself stronger over time. So it makes sense that they are rare since they do their work best as stories spread through mankind as opposed to being regularly seen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Begemot posted:

What? Of course there were apostles pre-eclipse. We directly see two of them, Zodd and Wyald, and that eclipse doesn't, like, fundamentally change the world or anything. There are old legends about behelits, and just based on the number of God Hand there were FOUR other eclipses.

Narratively, it makes perfect sense. Guts is slowly introduced to the sort of nightmare of these weird demons first with Zodd, and then with Wyald, and then in the eclipse. After that, he is literally going around hunting apostles. That's why there are more apostles in the series. He's not a mercenary going around fighting in wars, he's specifically hunting down monsters.

The reason there are so many apostles at the eclipse when it doesn't seem like there are that many before is that the world is big. The God Hand could summon every apostle on the whole planet to the eclipse, to celebrate the induction of a new member. It's a weird alternate dimension, that doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility. Across the WHOLE WORLD, there could be hundreds of apostles but they wouldn't necessarily be super common in every day life.

I *never* said there weren't apostles pre-eclipse so I have no idea where you're getting that. Re-read my post or something.

The thing we were discussing was whether ALL the demons were apostles. That would thus require all the eclipse demons to have been apostles from pre-eclipse. I was saying that's entirely possible but its also possible there are non-apostle demons.

No part of that has anything to do with "no apostles pre-eclipse" what the gently caress dude.

I literally said

quote:

so it could be that there are apostles all around pre-eclipse its just they weren't really shown because of retcons. Or alternatively pre-eclipse they were all in hiding and pretending to be humans / saints / angels whatever, and it was the eclipse that brought them all out of the woodwork. The eclipse definitely summoned a ton of apostles to the scene so that's feasible.

What do these words mean?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 4, 2017

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ah yeah, I totally misread, my bad. I don't think the eclipse really changed anything for apostles in general though, they just didn't appear in the story because that's not where the focus was.

Also I firmly believe that all the demons in the eclipse are apostles, if only because at that point in the story there was no other kind of monster they could be. Trolls and goblins and whatnot were all introduced later. If they were retconned, it would be away from apostles, not to them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Begemot posted:

Ah yeah, I totally misread, my bad. I don't think the eclipse really changed anything for apostles in general though, they just didn't appear in the story because that's not where the focus was.

Also I firmly believe that all the demons in the eclipse are apostles, if only because at that point in the story there was no other kind of monster they could be. Trolls and goblins and whatnot were all introduced later. If they were retconned, it would be away from apostles, not to them.

yeah that's what I was saying, its not what Guts was looking for before then, he didn't even know about them. He knew Zodd but he wasn't really looking for Zodd and didn't fully know what Zodd was.

Like I said, its totally possible they're all apostles. And I don't think they're trolls or anything. What I was saying was I think they're demons from the god hand dimension that never started as humans. The god hand are referred to like they're the authors of fate, they can manifest whatever they wish into reality (with some limits) so I don't see why they couldn't just create demons from thin air too if they wanted. But certainly at least a few of them are apostles, that can't be denied. Its just a question of some or all, and it seems like it could go either way.

At least until we see the godhand create demons or something like that, its probably safe to assume they're all apostles.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Pyrotoad posted:

I think Rickert sees her on the lake? Along with a bunch of other monsters; having to escape from them is what keeps him from entering the Eclipse IIRC.

Maybe the area around the Eclipse was a little affected too, like it bent reality around itself just enough to let them run a little wild? The fantasy stuff being around a little prior to the world transforming always confuses me a little when I reread...

They show up early, I assume because they just live in the general area? Her and slug dude. I think she says something about being greedy or impatient for it to start when the skullknight shows up and saves Rickert. I always thought the implication that the Eclipse was a big deal and just called Apostles from all over the globe, hence why there were like thousands. Because a lot of the dudes that were there at the finale show up again in later chapters serving Griffith.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I think Griffith's eclipse was meant to be a big deal so there was ceremony and all the apostles. They don't do that for other demons and they appear to be egalitarian. So, apostles could be made every day but it not going to be as monumental as the eclipse. Plus, there were so many because there wasn't anyone going around and thinning their numbers.

At this point of the story, I bet eclipse turnout would be significantly smaller.:unsmigghh:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Is it even a certainty that the behilits still function as they once did in Fantasia? There's no tunnel to make, the astral plane is already omnipresent.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Only the shallower levels of the interstice overlap with reality, the majority of the astral planes are still fairly far removed from the physical realm, as I understand it.

Thinking about it, reaching Elfhelm might have been significantly trickier if the fantasy nuke hadn't gone off (thanks skull knight).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The fusion depth has to be fairly significant, elsewise the Godhand wouldn't be fully manifested in the real world.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
It's also possible there's some time fuckery going on and when a member of godhand is welcomed at an eclipse and all the apostles that ever were show up because reality is broken at this specific spot.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Zasze posted:

It's also possible there's some time fuckery going on and when a member of godhand is welcomed at an eclipse and all the apostles that ever were show up because reality is broken at this specific spot.

If that was true we prolly would have seen wyald there.

I'm thinking all apostles that could get there went there. Zodd showed us that they dont have to go. We didn't see any kushan apostles there either. Well we only know of the emperor and shadow mask guy, but they werent there. (prolly because miura hadn't thought of em yet)

Captain_duck fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Wasn't it hinted at that the Skull Knight turned into a spectral being by excessive use of the berserker armor?