Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

eames posted:

Actually that's i9s. i7s have fewer PCIe lanes, gimped AVX implementation and as it turns out they're 7900X binning rejects not only in terms of working cores but also in terms of voltage/heat output/efficiency.

That explains why the heat output from 6 to 8 to 10 is so similar and doesn't scale anywhere near as linearly as one would expect.
Yea that. Sounds like really terrible rejects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

eames posted:

Actually that's i9s. i7s have fewer PCIe lanes, gimped AVX implementation and as it turns out they're 7900X binning rejects not only in terms of working cores but also in terms of voltage/heat output/efficiency.

That explains why the heat output from 6 to 8 to 10 is so similar and doesn't scale anywhere near as linearly as one would expect.

I was just referring to them all cause they are the same chips :shrug: I honestly think the AVX and PCIe things are less of a deal to the actual customers. I dunno tho, i'm def not a target customer. My logic for that is that the 7800/7820 is fine for single graphics card and 10Gb NIC. And if you need to get a 4x titan/quadro kind of render box, the CPU is such a minor part of your costs that you would be getting a 7900x (or multisocket) anyway.

e: (Im talkin about the LCC skylake-x's btw, not the HCC ones)

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 2, 2017

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
I keep looking at a x299 + a 7900x or a 7820x but i just keep getting pissed off by the TIM the gimped pcie lanes and now the loving vrms of the mobo being a issue, ffs what a poo poo platform all round

(Performance is killer tho)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I think the VRMs can be fixed easily, just add a real heatsink to that area. The PCI-e lanes are variable with the CPU so.. you gotta spend like a grand to get the minimum cpu with all the lanes. It's an OK platform but like you I won't spend a grand on a CPU just to get all the PCIe lanes I need. Rotten place to be.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Like take this mobo for example

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/39404/gigabyte-x299-aorus-gaming-9-motherboard

3m.2 slots at 4x per comes to 12 right? Add in 2 sli 1080tis to be say 8x each thats 26pci lanes off the cpu you would need to use them all with out gping through the chipset right?

So at a minimum you have to buy a 7800x or a 7820x to have some pci laned left over to make use of anything else.

gently caress the concept of having a mobo that big parts of it you just cant use is loving retarded just because intel cut pcie lanes off

3peat
May 6, 2010

Aren't the six and eight cores the same chip as the ten core, which means they should be able to have the full pcie lanes? Why cut that down, when threadripper has the full 64 lanes for the entire lineup

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

3peat posted:

Aren't the six and eight cores the same chip as the ten core, which means they should be able to have the full pcie lanes? Why cut that down, when threadripper has the full 64 lanes for the entire lineup

"gently caress you, that's why" - Intel

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Intel CPU and Platform Discussion: X299 and Skylake-X out now, look inside for *Fiery Hot Deals*

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

3peat posted:

To get you to pay them more, duh.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Scarecow posted:

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/39404/gigabyte-x299-aorus-gaming-9-motherboard

3m.2 slots at 4x per comes to 12 right? Add in 2 sli 1080tis to be say 8x each thats 26pci lanes off the cpu you would need to use them all with out gping through the chipset right?

So at a minimum you have to buy a 7800x or a 7820x to have some pci laned left over to make use of anything else.

gently caress the concept of having a mobo that big parts of it you just cant use is loving retarded just because intel cut pcie lanes off

Typically only one M.2 slot is connected straight to the CPU, with the rest being from the chipset PCI-E lanes. Some very expensive boards have multiple CPU M.2 ports to use with VROC, but it's atypical. Unless you're hitting all your M.2 SSDs heavily at the same time the DMI bottleneck isn't an issue.

The 7740x and 7640x can do SLI + M.2 just as the consumer versions.

I really hope manufacturers make cheap Kaby-X only X299 motherboards, close enough to Z270 prices. The 7740X has substantially better overclocking and DDR4 support, and only loses to the 7700K due to the motherboard cost. G.Skill has a 2 channel only set that is QVL'd at 4800MHz, where the best you can get on Z270 is 4266MHz on literally two boards (Z270 Apex or Z170M OC formula) with lots of tweaking. Plus all overclocking reports I've seen so far have 5.1GHz as the minimum overclock with 5.3-5.4 possible for great to golden chips.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
But how hot would the VRMs run for those?

E: Also I can't seem to find X299 motherboard QVLs anywhere

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 3, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

The whole VRM temperature thing would be a non-issue if motherboard manufacturers put decent heatsinks on them like they did 10 years ago.
I guess they either didn't expect SL-X to clock as high as it does or simply didn't have time to come up with something better than a few inches of simple extruded aluminum on top of a 3mm thick thermal pads.

or like this: (yes this was an actual retail product)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's me, the goon bitching up a storm that I'd have to spend 400$ more on a CPU so that I have leftover PCIe lanes for my ~~~*SLI 1080Ti + 3 m.2 SSD SYSTEM*~~~~

# of PCIe lanes is the stupidest possible choice (OK maybe very marginally less stupid than some of the virtualization features they turned off for K series i7s vs the non -K versions) for intel to differentiate a product stack on, but still just lmao listen to these posts.

e: Side note, but over 1/3 of that linked motherboard page being descriptions of all the different LEDs and LED controls is really funny to me too

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Bitching about things being taken away from products 7800x with 28 pcie lanes vs 6850k with 40 pcie lanes is a valid thing not to mention the primary issue of loving thermal paste being used instead of soldier

As a consumer you should be pissed that intel is offering products with artificial limits and a thermal solution thats just so terrible

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
As a consumer, I'm not buying one.

e: I don't do anything that needs >4 cores at home, and by the time I do, we'll be in Zen2+ territory which by all current appearances will be a really very good chip. I just can't get over how funny the outraged :spergin: is over something so dumb as fuckin PCIe lanes, because of *course* we're all building home machines with SLI and mass PCIe-SSD raid arrays. Bad TIM jobs on the chips are actually loving terrible though, which would definitely drive me to buy from Silicon Lottery if I were in the market.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 3, 2017

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

But how hot would the VRMs run for those?

E: Also I can't seem to find X299 motherboard QVLs anywhere

G.Skill announced the kit working with the ASRock X299 OC Formula. They only launch stuff at a rated speed if there is a motherboard that can do it. They've had DDR4 capable of 4500+ for years but there haven't been motherboard consistently capable of doing it. There are articles from 2015 of them launching 4500MHz kits that never reached market for this reason.

And the VRMs do not get hot in the slightest for the Kaby-X SKUs, they're way way lower power than the big chips.

And I'm not saying that I don't think the PCI-E lane restrictions is anti-consumer as gently caress, because it is, but the amount of lanes that 99% of people buying even the enthusiast platform need is often overstated. It's an important distinction to take into account the chipset lanes. If you're spending a load of money on all the poo poo you need to connect straight to your CPU it's probably not the end of the world to stretch to threadripper or i9.

It's stupid and objectively lovely from a consumer perspective though.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Scarecow posted:

I have to buy a $400 processor to go with my $850 motherboard and $1600 worth of graphics cards and $400 minimum m.2 drives?

Madness.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

BurritoJustice posted:

G.Skill announced the kit working with the ASRock X299 OC Formula. They only launch stuff at a rated speed if there is a motherboard that can do it. They've had DDR4 capable of 4500+ for years but there haven't been motherboard consistently capable of doing it. There are articles from 2015 of them launching 4500MHz kits that never reached market for this reason.

And the VRMs do not get hot in the slightest for the Kaby-X SKUs, they're way way lower power than the big chips.

Oh, you meant the Computex news article. I found that while looking for a spreadsheet PDF on any motherboard vendor's official X299 page, but those aren't up.

Point taken on the Kaby dies being relatively lower power. Still weird that its ceiling is higher at 112W despite no iGPU and a giant heatspreader--hopefully we'll find out why later.

eames
May 9, 2009

I don't think a 7700K actually uses 91W under full load, it probably uses ~20W more. :ms:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Call me naive, but wouldn't it throttle down as soon as its sensors detect that it's using that much power? I'm aware that measuring actual voltage/power might show a little egress over the ceiling, but not 20 watts of it....

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Palladium posted:

...If you are a not a massive data crunching overlord and aren't fazed by a virtually zero gain in general real world responsiveness going to NVME.

I figure my main boot ssd is probably getting on in years, so I have to upgrade it, why not go for the newer tech.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Microcenter's got 7700k's for $100 off and I think I'm going to bite the bullet. I've never accounted for PCIe lanes in a build before and the 7700k is listed as having 16; how much will that really impact expandability? I've got one 980Ti and don't plan to SLI, but the board I'm looking at has two M.2 ports and I'll probably have both of them filled up eventually,. will that effect the speed of the video card?

I tend to do a bunch of gaming/recording/streaming and while Ryzen sounded great in theory everything I've read on it so far still reeks of a very gen-1 offering. I'm using a 3770 right now and I'm starting to hit a CPU wall.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not worried about running even the next generations videocards at pci-e 3 8X https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_PCI_Express_Scaling/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Gen 4 is coming any day now :getin:

(Probably not for consumer gear until late 2018/early 2019 though)

And then Gen5 right after.. 32GT/sec per lane, baby.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

H2SO4 posted:

Microcenter's got 7700k's for $100 off and I think I'm going to bite the bullet. I've never accounted for PCIe lanes in a build before and the 7700k is listed as having 16; how much will that really impact expandability? I've got one 980Ti and don't plan to SLI, but the board I'm looking at has two M.2 ports and I'll probably have both of them filled up eventually,. will that effect the speed of the video card?

I tend to do a bunch of gaming/recording/streaming and while Ryzen sounded great in theory everything I've read on it so far still reeks of a very gen-1 offering. I'm using a 3770 right now and I'm starting to hit a CPU wall.

It's going to depend on your motherboard, but chances are that the 16 lanes are going to the 2 16x slots on the motherboard (16 lanes on slot one if only one is in use, 8 lanes to each slot if both are in use). This doesn't effect video card performance in any meaningful way.

Your M.2 slots are probably connected to the motherboard PCH which is connected to the CPU by DMI 3.0 which is essentially 4 lanes of PCIe 3.0. These don't count against the 16 lanes we were just talking about. All devices on the motherboard share this bandwidth (sata ports, ethernet, sound cards, USB, M.2 Slots, other PCIe slots).

In most cases, you are not going to see any performance issues. Your M.2 slots are the only thing that could saturate that DMI link on their own and chances are you are not going to be maxing those out while doing much with other devices at the same time. Even if you did, you probably wouldn't notice the decrease in speed.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

craig588 posted:

I'm not worried about running even the next generations videocards at pci-e 3 8X https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_PCI_Express_Scaling/

I do wonder how 8x affects minimums/percentiles though. Unfortunately TPU only measured average FPS :(

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

repiv posted:

I do wonder how 8x affects minimums/percentiles though. Unfortunately TPU only measured average FPS :(

I'm interested in this too.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
They'll probably do another comparison when Volta comes out, they seem to do one with every card generation, if a bunch of people bug him on Twitter or emails about adding minimum and low percent frame times he might add that for the next one.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
This release seems incredibly rushed and lovely overall.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Dumb double post.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Thanks for the sanity check guys, I just grabbed the parts and will be assembling today.

eames
May 9, 2009

"but nobody games in 720p!"

"..."

all of the benchmarks are here (machine translated):

http://translate.google.com/transla...n&langpair=auto

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

eames posted:

all of the benchmarks are here (machine translated):

http://translate.google.com/transla...n&langpair=auto

My biggest question: Why is the 6850K ahead of the 7800X?

eames
May 9, 2009

lower bandwidth and higher latencies of the 50% smaller L3 cache due to the new mesh- instead of ringbus architecture

It should be noted that computerbase — like the other EU press — did not receive SL-X samples at launch and arguably has a bone to pick with Intel

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Those benchmarks at stock clocks? If so, I sure hope they lower the prices on remaining stock of the Broadwell-E considerably.

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah, stock clocks and PC-2400/PC-2666 RAM with pretty loose CL17 timings all around. I am curious what the benchmarks would look like with PC-3200 CL14.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
SKL-X should be doing better than that. Pretty sure there were BIOS issues with some of the boards that heavily impacted gaming performance, Computerbase might have benched on the old BIOSs.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IIRC the x99 platform was kind of a mess early on too, wasnt it? I would probably hold off on getting anything for few months honestly.

It looks like Intel has another launch coming afterall, too. This apparently was from a Intel presentation to asian resellers on May 23rd:

The rumor is that the August launch will be 3 SKUs and 1 chipset (Z370). Chips are rumored to be a 6C/12T and 6C/6T at 95W, and a 4C/4T 65W i3, all unlocked.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Tom's Hardware just published a review The Skylake-X Mess Explored: Thermal Paste And Runaway Power. Some interesting tidbits:

1) Skylake-X at its stock settings can barely be cooled during normal operation.
2) There’s barely any room for enthusiasts to overclock.
3) Although we're using some of the highest-end and most expensive cooling hardware available, we still measure up to a whopping 71 Kelvin difference between the cores' reported temperature and the heat spreader's top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cygni posted:

IIRC the x99 platform was kind of a mess early on too, wasnt it? I would probably hold off on getting anything for few months honestly.

It looks like Intel has another launch coming afterall, too. This apparently was from a Intel presentation to asian resellers on May 23rd:

The rumor is that the August launch will be 3 SKUs and 1 chipset (Z370). Chips are rumored to be a 6C/12T and 6C/6T at 95W, and a 4C/4T 65W i3, all unlocked.

A 6C/6T Kaby Lake chip is going to suddenly make it a really competitive mainstream market and all come down to price, right?