Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Does Galactus count? I never read that series, so I dunno if he counts as 'deadbeat'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Exit Strategy posted:

I'm just saying that if I need a permit to carry a pistol, maybe the government should have oversight over the man with laser eyes that can cut buildings in half. You know. Know where he lives, maybe do a criminal background check before he's allowed in public, stuff like that?
Sounds like someone hates the 2nd Amendment. Wait, hold on, uh - before we make a call here - what, uh, cultural background is the mutant in this example?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Exit Strategy posted:

I'm just saying that if I need a permit to carry a pistol, maybe the government should have oversight over the man with laser eyes that can cut buildings in half. You know. Know where he lives, maybe do a criminal background check before he's allowed in public, stuff like that?

Moving the metaphor for mutants to homosexuality rather than race, haven't people tried to make this argument about people with AIDS on account of those deadly deadly blood cells they carry around?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

FredMSloniker posted:

Does Galactus count? I never read that series, so I dunno if he counts as 'deadbeat'.

Galactus and Galacta get along really well, actually. Just because he's always away on work doesn't make him a deadbeat.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
EDIT: Nothing to see here.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fuego Fish posted:

Galactus and Galacta get along really well, actually. Just because he's always away on work doesn't make him a deadbeat.

Yeah, I mean, Gladiator just sent his kid to the worst boarding school, he's still involved with him though.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Fuego Fish posted:

Don't tell me they actually put her in continuity.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Elfface posted:

Moving the metaphor for mutants to homosexuality rather than race, haven't people tried to make this argument about people with AIDS on account of those deadly deadly blood cells they carry around?

Yeah, people have unironically argued for concentration camps for people with AIDS, along with religious right nutjobs saying AIDS is God's punishment for homosexuality.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, people have unironically argued for concentration camps for people with AIDS, along with religious right nutjobs saying AIDS is God's punishment for homosexuality.

Yeah, pretty much pick a right winger from the 80's and you'll find those comments. Of course they were at the same time staunchly defending Apartheid, so hey, mutants get to be metaphors for lots of things.

Speaking of, here's Cyclops and Havok wrasslin' from X-tinction Agenda, when Genosha was enslaving and getting all concentration camp-y with the Mutants from that era (I think this is where Havok ended up after going through the Seige Perilous?)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Kalli posted:

Speaking of, here's Cyclops and Havok wrasslin' from X-tinction Agenda, when Genosha was enslaving and getting all concentration camp-y with the Mutants from that era (I think this is where Havok ended up after going through the Seige Perilous?)

Blasting each other's clothes off is bad enough, but..."make each other stronger?" Are they pumping each other up?

"Our daddy always taught us to be proud of our blasts, 'specially seeing as they're such a nice size and all."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Mutants are a Metaphor for any Oppressed Group really.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mutants are to superheroes what oppressed minorities are to people.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The best was when mutants were a standin for the homeless and mentally ill and then they got tired of that so they drowned them all.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

makoto20 posted:

In that specific case it's the Fantastic Four's money and Johnny's Storms natural charisma. If Johnny had no powers he'd still be a well loved competitve stock car racer who gets his face in the papers while the internet loathes him for "being famous for being famous. Sunspot is an unknown unlikable dickbag who bullied a kid for having powers that were useless in a fight.

I remember Sunspot basically being a stereotypical hot-headed (lol pun) jerk in the early new mutants comics. I think he's had some character development since then, but comics do have a bad habit of forgetting about character development .

Jerkass Sunspot.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's more superbillionaire playboy these days. They kept his friendship with Sam pretty intact though. :3:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Bongo Bill posted:

Mutants are to superheroes what oppressed minorities are to people.

People always talk about mutants being a minority or homosexuals, but it rarely comes up that mutants can be a stand in for youth.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Open Marriage Night posted:

People always talk about mutants being a minority or homosexuals, but it rarely comes up that mutants can be a stand in for youth.

EDIT: You know what never mind.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Synthbuttrange posted:

He's more superbillionaire playboy these days. They kept his friendship with Sam pretty intact though. :3:

Also his love of Magnum P.I.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Doesn't matter what they were when it was created, mutants are long past being a standin for anything.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kalli posted:

The best was when mutants were a standin for the homeless and mentally ill and then they got tired of that so they drowned them all.

Being killed in a genocide or mass extinction level event is like the second most common cause of death if you're a mutant in the Marvel comics.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Alhazred posted:

Being killed in a genocide or mass extinction level event is like the second most common cause of death if you're a mutant live in the Marvel comics.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Until an entire island populated with non-mutants are incinerated or ordinary people are put in concentration camps mutants are more at risk than any other Marvel character.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Alhazred posted:

Until an entire island populated with non-mutants are incinerated or ordinary people are put in concentration camps mutants are more at risk than any other Marvel character.

Uncle Ben.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I remember well when the island full of Uncle Bens was genocided

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

purple death ray posted:

SHOCKER!!

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Every mutant is a clone of Uncle Ben.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

purple death ray posted:

Is that why they no longer sell their cajun rice sauce?

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 4, 2017

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

purple death ray posted:

Ah yes, Benosha

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dacap posted:

Ah yes, Benosha

:bisonyes:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dacap posted:

Ah yes, Benosha

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Dacap posted:

Ah yes, Benosha

We should all strive to be more like Dacap.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dacap posted:

Ah yes, Benosha

holy poo poo dude

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Dacap posted:

Ah yes, Benosha

:monocle:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Game recognize game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alhazred posted:

Everyone in Paris died during Fear Itself (or at least they all got turned to stone, a bunch of the statues were broken and there was never any talk of turning them back), Paris has a comparable population to Genosha. Of course that never got brought up ever again and it's also not genocide.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Everyone in Paris died during Fear Itself (or at least they all got turned to stone, a bunch of the statues were broken and there was never any talk of turning them back), Paris has a comparable population to Genosha. Of course that never got brought up ever again and it's also not genocide.

Odin turned them back. In the marvel universe the casualties in Paris were equal to a Wednesday in New York

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Everyone forgets when Hickman had Perth get hit by a evolution asteroid from Mars in his Avengers.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

TwoPair posted:

Everyone forgets Perth

and people say comics aren't realistic.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Well, there was that one time when half the entire world was killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
There's always Slorenia.

And Busiek had Kang blow up Washington DC. Did that kill everyone there? It's been a while since I read the Kang Dynasty. (I love that title for the storyline.)

prefect fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 5, 2017