Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

As a dog owner I can say that brownies taste better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo. A loving hymnal tune. Church of Trump

How will this sit with Eric Trump's firm belief in Jesus?

https://twitter.com/MrPlinkett/status/822693243410378752

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StashAugustine posted:

also the trick is to wear patriotic shirts that still piss people off, see if you can dig up some "sherman's southern tour" ones

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

will the dems ever stop being stupid and/or useless no

Grassley's a Republican, though...?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

i will follow this version of mitch mcconnell into hell!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

consumed by normies posted:

blagojevich still got him beat damnit

Frank Murkowski is probably best remembered today for appointing his daughter to a vacant Senate seat in a blatant act of nepotism, which she still holds to this day.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

what the gently caress did bob taft do

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

:thunk:

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

got stuck in a tub (of ranch)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol I bet KJU wasn't expecting a "jeez don't you have something better to be doing on a summer evening?" response from the US

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Raised sales tax so of course everyone turned on him.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The article talks about the exact composition of the Roman concrete and how it changes over time, blah blah blah, probably very educational.

But let's be real here. The reason Roman concrete construction was good and modern concrete construction is bad despite two millennia of materials science advancement has nothing to do with the material composition of the concretes and everything to do with the fact that if some contractor in ancient Rome tried to cut costs and produced a piece of poo poo for the state that fell apart soon after it was built he and his extended family would be crucified as an example of what happens when you try to pull a fast one on the Senate and People of Rome whereas today he gets earmarked for another contract.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

looks like bribery or something.

Coingate scandal[edit]
See Coingate scandal.

During Taft's governorship, the Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation (BWC) invested hundreds of millions of dollars in high risk or unconventional investment vehicles run by Republican Party supporters who had made large campaign contributions to senior Ohio Republican officials. One was a rare coin investment fund run by Tom Noe which attracted particular scrutiny since two coins worth more than $300,000 were reportedly lost. Further investigation revealed that other state-backed coin investments worth $10–$12 million were missing and that only $13 million of the original $50 million invested could be accounted for. Tom Noe was convicted of running a criminal enterprise, stealing $13 million, and of keeping a second set of books to cover it. Governor Taft and Noe took 45 golf trips together, which went unreported, resulting in Taft's criminal conviction (see below) for undisclosed gifts.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Addamere posted:

The article talks about the exact composition of the Roman concrete and how it changes over time, blah blah blah, probably very educational.

But let's be real here. The reason Roman concrete construction was good and modern concrete construction is bad despite two millennia of materials science advancement has nothing to do with the material composition of the concretes and everything to do with the fact that if some contractor in ancient Rome tried to cut costs and produced a piece of poo poo for the state that fell apart soon after it was built he and his extended family would be crucified instead of given another contract.

i also played the new order

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

if trump responds to the next fluff up by kim jong un by telling him to get a real job then i'll have to reassess my opinion on trump's foreign policy.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

punchymcpunch posted:

got stuck in a tub (of ranch)

The Bob Taft in that article is the great-grandson of President Taft...and the grandson of the Republican Senate Leader in the 1940s-50s Bob Taft...and the son of 1970s Republican Senator Bob Taft. He's a fourth-generation Ohio Taft politician.

This Bob Taft decided to invest the money for the state Worker's Comp fund into a rare coin collection.

(Not a joke)

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

but the CIA is staffed entirely by patriots doin' their duty so there's no wrongdoing really!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Republicans must be getting pretty mad at NK for all this, kinda makes them look dumb because they can't respond because this particular war isn't supposed to start for another 6 months at least to boost ratings going into 2018 elections

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

:smae:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Patter Song posted:

The Bob Taft in that article is the great-grandson of President Taft...and the grandson of the Republican Senate Leader in the 1940s-50s Bob Taft...and the son of 1970s Republican Senator Bob Taft. He's a fourth-generation Ohio Taft politician.

This Bob Taft decided to invest the money for the state Worker's Comp fund into a rare coin collection.

(Not a joke)

Jesus that bloodline needs stamped out

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

Republicans must be getting pretty mad at NK for all this, kinda makes them look dumb because they can't respond because this particular war isn't supposed to start for another 6 months at least to boost ratings going into 2018 elections

speaking truth on this 4th of july i do not expect the us to actually fight nk

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Don't take me on

I won't be gone

IN A DAY OR, TWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Austria-Hungary shall rise again!! (this time as Hungary-Austria)

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X9LvC9WkkQ

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

TeriZCa8!a posted:

Is this real?
You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Addamere posted:

speaking truth on this 4th of july i do not expect the us to actually fight nk

I doubt it too, but it's betting that Trump will just ignore the whole thing because it's complicated and hard instead of betting that Trump just tries to steamroll and ignores that it's a complicated situation

I'm not putting money on either outcome

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Baloogan posted:

turdfuzz posting:

cromartie ftw

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i know a little old hungarian lady who's a little too into the german defense of hungary against the soviets, which is extra funny bc the germans invaded hungrary and couped out their leader to replace him with a lunatic nazi because they tried to get a seperate peace with russia just a few months before

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yo baloogan how about that fuckin nuke shot in TP8 eh???

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

Jesus that bloodline needs stamped out

His grandfather, Republican Senate Majority Leader Bob Taft (nicknamed "Mr. Republican"), lost the 1952 Republican primary to Dwight Eisenhower, who basically hadn't been a Republican until the day he decided it'd be an easier path to run for President through the GOP than through the Dems.

It's one of the more important primary battles in American history because Taft was an isolationist while Eisenhower wanted the US engaged all over the world in the Cold War.

EDIT: Bob Taft, the 1940s-50s Senator, also is the father of Taft-Hartley, a direct cause of the collapse of American labor.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

that is one low-energy nickname

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Patter Song posted:

His grandfather, Republican Senate Majority Leader Bob Taft (nicknamed "Mr. Republican"), lost the 1952 Republican primary to Dwight Eisenhower, who basically hadn't been a Republican until the day he decided it'd be an easier path to run for President through the GOP than through the Dems.

It's one of the more important primary battles in American history because Taft was an isolationist while Eisenhower wanted the US engaged all over the world in the Cold War.

I know a lot of Republicans who claim to be isolationists but I've never actually met or seen a Republican isolationist

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

I doubt it too, but it's betting that Trump will just ignore the whole thing because it's complicated and hard instead of betting that Trump just tries to steamroll and ignores that it's a complicated situation

I'm not putting money on either outcome

The beauty of it is that either solution of the two you chose would play well with his base. Ignoring it keeps us from getting involved in another quagmire. Steamrolling it with a strategic nuclear strike accomplishes the same. Especially among Trump voters, Republicans do not actually want to "fix" any of the problems that U.S. foreign policy has traditionally addressed inasmuch as they would like to see those problems just either go away or not involve us. Ignoring it, or killing everyone involved, accomplishes that. And killing everyone involved (without even putting U.S. boots on the ground!) provides a wonderful opportunity to rally around Commander-in-Chief StrongDaddy.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

aw yeah beers, beers

• Locked thread