Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Some of the TMS changes were good and some of them were dumb because they really wanted a T rating for a game that 12 people were gonna buy anyway. The dumb ones were also the least effort, worst looking ones coincidentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Removing the face touching was definitely just a benefit in fire emblem fates though.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

irlZaphod posted:

Nobody was pressuring anyone to remove or change anything from games. What happened was that they changed a few costumes in TMS #FE for Western release and some weirdos started flipping their poo poo over it. The same thing happened with FE: Fates and the removal of the face touching game. (Why is it always Fire Emblem-related games?)

That was the one where you could stroke your sister a bunch right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_wyaHeJ-e8&t=24s

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Andrast posted:

Removing the face touching was definitely just a benefit in fire emblem fates though.

But this is fine, right?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rexroom posted:

But this is fine, right?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Is Binding of Isaac worth $30? I'm on the fence from gameplay videos but I like the idea of it being random with each play through.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Is Binding of Isaac worth $30? I'm on the fence from gameplay videos but I like the idea of it being random with each play through.

Binding of Isaac didn't click for me until I got it on the Switch. I think it's actually my most played game now, beating out LoZ. There's a shitton of stuff to unlock, the game is randomized, and since there's so many new items getting unlocked, each playthrough feels fresh for me.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Doing a hearty lol at this still.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Spellman posted:

Boob size should be determined by your answers to stranger's questions on a train

I want Rover to interview me about the town I'm moving to again but this time on the Switch :sigh:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Okay, everybody go take a cold shower, it's again starting to sound like people are getting horny about video games.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

just do what i do and not buy Tokyo mirage emblem at all

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

The same thing happened with FE: Fates and the removal of the face touching game. (Why is it always Fire Emblem-related games?)

A touch more was removed than the mini game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA6A-ySMHYI

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Night Blade posted:

A touch more was removed than the mini game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA6A-ySMHYI

that's just bad localization, not really removal of stuff

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
please learn the difference between a bad localization vs. censorship, i beg you

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

This is censorship I tell ya!

*posts extremely verbose fan translation to make a point*

These treehouse suckers suck a big one!

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Andrast posted:

that's just bad localization, not really removal of stuff

An entire conversation was literally removed.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Healbot posted:

This is censorship I tell ya!

*posts extremely verbose fan translation to make a point*

These treehouse suckers suck a big one!

The localization of fates is pretty bad though.

Not that the source material was great in the first place.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

An entire support convo being only ellipses from both soldiers is funny as hell

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

When FE7 gets rereleased I hope Rath & Jaffar can support and all three of their chats be sitting quietly

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Lube Enthusiast posted:

An entire support convo being only ellipses from both soldiers is funny as hell

I mean isn't the C rank supposed to be them first talking ever? Makes sense two paranoid assassins don't want to go full anime and share every little detail they can

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Lube Enthusiast posted:

When FE7 gets rereleased I hope Rath & Jaffar can support and all three of their chats be sitting quietly

I hope they add some memes in FE7 as well. The humor was so dry in fates.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Andrast posted:

That was the best part about the whole thing.

Even when you do an entire fan-retranslation that sticks to the source material by the letter, you're still gonna end up with a really dumb main story, with main characters who do stupid things and believe other characters for the worst reasons.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Viewtiful Jew posted:

That was the best part about the whole thing.

Even when you do an entire fan-retranslation that sticks to the source material by the letter, you're still gonna end up with a really dumb main story, with main characters who do stupid things and believe other characters for the worst reasons.

I'm not talking about that particular support, just the overall quality of the localization. The fan translations also aren't any better (in fact they are significantly worse).

The support convos (and the story is horrible) in fates are bad and the bad localization really doesn't help. Compare it to awakening, which has a stellar localization that makes the game better.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Fursonally it's my favorite game on the Switch, no shame in my 205 hours played

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Andrast posted:

I'm mostly annoyed they made such juvenile sounding characters out of the children, there's no reason they needed to sound like actual children with "slappyface", "super dupity", and "waggity, waggity, waggity".

I dunno, fates wasn't very good anyway, I brute forced conquest on phoenix mode and got bored in birthright and stopped playing. I'm glad echoes was better in every way.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Nintendo's own version of the Bomberman multiplayer chaos, now localized as Flip Wars, arrives - in Europe at least - on Thursday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdE9Km28Rkw

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I'm mostly annoyed they made such juvenile sounding characters out of the children, there's no reason they needed to sound like actual children with "slappyface", "super dupity", and "waggity, waggity, waggity".

I dunno, fates wasn't very good anyway, I brute forced conquest on phoenix mode and got bored in birthright and stopped playing. I'm glad echoes was better in every way.

Conquest is probably my favorite fire emblem game ever. I loved the gameplay.

Let's not talk about the story though.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

bloodysabbath posted:

I still don't think Japanese creators should be pressured to change their games to appease the handful of neogaf sadasses and patreon funded "cultural critics" who will be outraged if the fictional anime pixel waifu has tits and "vag bones."

That is my hot take and I need some cooling ranch dip to soothe my burns.

Also the switch is perfect.

Dawg you're mad about people you'll never meet who have no influence beyond the internet, whay the hell is this

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Zelder posted:

Dawg you're mad about people you'll never meet who have no influence beyond the internet, whay the hell is this

He is mad for people who aren't even mad themselves.

It's impressive

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The truth is nine times out of ten the creators of these games don't give a gently caress. NoA or whoever doing a localization calls and says "can you alter the model with the following changes?" And then they call back and are like "Ok that'll be x hours of work. By the way you should really use the change request ticketing system, I don't know why we're doing this over the phone."

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think people conflate stuff too much. There's a difference between a bad localization and censorship.

But, self censorship is also a thing. The changes to TMS may not be censorship as in the Government of Nintendo said "no bikini teens or you all go to video game jail" but pretty clearly they thought that certain elements wouldn't be appropriate for American audiences and removed them.

IMO, bad localizations are bad, it's OK for women characters to have visible hip bones, and face petting minigames may not be the hardcore action gameplay we hardcore Western Gamers demand but removing them just to avoid an unflattering Kotaku article is dumb

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

What's the ball pod on the back of the main character in Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I don't think Nintendo is changing things to avoid scathing kotaku critiques

Golden Goat posted:

What's the ball pod on the back of the main character in Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

I really like the xenoblade series but I dunno if I can deal with those pants (yes I'm aware that different equipment will probably change your actual equipment)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Golden Goat posted:

It looks dumb but if it's anything like regular Xenoblade you'll see it for maybe an hour before you get a different chest piece that totally changes the guy's look.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think people conflate stuff too much. There's a difference between a bad localization and censorship.

But, self censorship is also a thing. The changes to TMS may not be censorship as in the Government of Nintendo said "no bikini teens or you all go to video game jail" but pretty clearly they thought that certain elements wouldn't be appropriate for American audiences and removed them.

IMO, bad localizations are bad, it's OK for women characters to have visible hip bones, and face petting minigames may not be the hardcore action gameplay we hardcore Western Gamers demand but removing them just to avoid an unflattering Kotaku article is dumb

No it isn't there is literally no reason to include a supplementary system that serves no purpose if you don't think it will play well to the audience.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A backpack I think

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Zelder posted:

I don't think Nintendo is changing things to avoid scathing kotaku critiques

I really like the xenoblade series but I dunno if I can deal with those pants (yes I'm aware that different equipment will probably change your actual equipment)

In my experience kotaku would be all in on that creepy poo poo.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Golden Goat posted:

Helmet, I believe.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

A backpack I think

I thought it might be a helmet.

also I didn't really like it that much but I do kinda want another Chronicles X game.

Legin Noslen posted:

Helmet, I believe.

So like a divers helmet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

You can really see the Nomura in the stupid parachute pants + shorts combo.

• Locked thread