Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Did Nomura do that Final Fantasy Tactics A2 costume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The character seems to be carrying a mascot around in the helmet which makes me think that your gear probably won't change your appearance which I'm hope I'm super wrong because uggggghhhh that design

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey EA

Bad Company 2 port. Ancient, good looking game. Heckin' fun. Make it happen.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought Nomura was just doing a couple of the bad guy factions designs.

One thing I liked about Chronicles X is you could choose the armor you wanted for effect separately from what you were wearing aesthetically, so I didn't have to have characters wearing ridiculous poo poo. It was all khakis or jeans and a shirt with a sensible leather jacket.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Calaveron posted:

The character seems to be carrying a mascot around in the helmet which makes me think that your gear probably won't change your appearance which I'm hope I'm super wrong because uggggghhhh that design

Is it another Tatsu? Cause I really don't want another Tatsu.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Night Blade posted:

You can really see the Nomura in the stupid parachute pants + shorts combo.

That's very obviously a romper and oversized chaps

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Golden Goat posted:

What's the ball pod on the back of the main character in Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

I don't know, but I know this is a sci-fi fantasy game because you touch a girl in it. :v:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

reading this thread makes me very glad that when I was a kid I played final fantasy tactics instead of fire emblem

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Augus posted:

reading this thread makes me very glad that when I was a kid I played final fantasy tactics instead of fire emblem

:same:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Augus posted:

a correct choice

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Here's an idea: Diablo 3: The Eternal Collection on Switch.

However, I have a feeling Blizzard is working on the next Diablo game with cross platform.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Should have played both since both are excellent SRPGs

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Apparently Xbox 360/One controllers and arcade sticks work on switch no problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td2ZydzHjss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6CZIip90ws

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Housh posted:

Here's an idea: Diablo 3: The Eternal Collection on Switch.

However, I have a feeling Blizzard is working on the next Diablo game with cross platform.

Your favorite game that's not on the switch...

but on the switch.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

IMO, bad localizations are bad, it's OK for women characters to have visible hip bones, and face petting minigames may not be the hardcore action gameplay we hardcore Western Gamers demand but removing them just to avoid an unflattering Kotaku article is dumb

It was removed because Japanese players thought it was annoying and the devteam was already half and half on it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Motto posted:

It was removed because Japanese players thought it was annoying and the devteam was already half and half on it.

No it was Kotaku, it's always Kotaku.

I've a choice between Splatoon 2 and ARMs before I take a extremely long flight at the end of the month, how is ARMs holding up?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Motto posted:

That's pretty interesting actually. Where did you find this out?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kotaku Vancouver

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Golden Goat posted:

I've a choice between Splatoon 2 and ARMs before I take a extremely long flight at the end of the month, how is ARMs holding up?

It's holding up well and it's a good game but I'd still buy Splatoon 2 over it.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Motto posted:

I don't know what the players in Japan thought, but it was actually the QA-team who were split on the whole face petting system.

They reached a compromise by turning the cursor to a generic pointer.

Why they removed it for the west, we will probably never know.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Night Blade posted:

That's pretty interesting actually. Where did you find this out?

I don't have hard player data or anything, but it's a take I've heard from a decent number of players and one common enough for Sakurai to write one of his famitsu columns about it.

quote:

I recently took a look at user reviews for Fire Emblem Fates, and what stood out to me was the overabundance of comments saying “I don’t need this; I don’t need that, either,” especially in comparison to reviews of other titles.

One such feature users commented on was the ability to invite your companions into your house and stroke their heads and faces to raise your affinity level. Basically, you bring them into your room—regardless of whether you’re married or not—and give them a rubdown. Even I chuckled to myself the first time I played: “What is this, Pokémon? Nintendogs!?” Some reviewers, however, went one step further and said, “We don’t need this!”

http://sourcegaming.info/2015/08/07/dont-need-this-dont-need-that-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-485/

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Like whatever I understand people like different things and FE has always been one of Nintendo's weirder franchise re; relationships but I'm still baffled that they decided to include a minigame that involved just rubbing a person's face until hearts appear
Like if it were literal foot fetish poo poo or just good old implied dtf I'd be less weirded out

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm just glad Nintendo decided to make a spiritual successor to The Rub Rabbits.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

The face touching stuff was loving weird and stupid and I only wish they had been a little cleaner in excising it. Just have some normal dialogue boxes or something instead of the close up on the face and one of like two total voice lines, making it glaringly obvious that there was something else there that got unceremoniously ripped out. FE has undeniably developed something of a strange vibe as of late for sure with some of the pandering and they need to knock it off.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Motto posted:

I don't have hard player data or anything, but it's a take I've heard from a decent number of players and one common enough for Sakurai to write one of his famitsu columns about it.

http://sourcegaming.info/2015/08/07/dont-need-this-dont-need-that-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-485/

Huh. Well, fair enough

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Gumdrop Larry posted:

The face touching stuff was loving weird and stupid and I only wish they had been a little cleaner in excising it. Just have some normal dialogue boxes or something instead of the close up on the face and one of like two total voice lines, making it glaringly obvious that there was something else there that got unceremoniously ripped out. FE has undeniably developed something of a strange vibe as of late for sure with some of the pandering and they need to knock it off.

Fire Emblem has always been super weird. "Geneaology of the Holy War" is a particularly good example of that.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's this idea that stuff gets removed to appease some internet clique of "SJWs". The reality is, stuff gets removed or changed because:
-It may bump up the ESRB/PEGI/whatever rating, which affects sales potential
-It may alienate a demographic that the company wants to market the game to
-It could lead to severely negative press if the content is objectionable enough (imo XCX very well could have blown up in their faces if left unchanged)
-It may affect the IP's reputation in the long-term (ie, a series becoming known primarily for cheesecake could give it niche appeal but hurt it in the broader market)

It's always a matter of business and branding, not the shadowy influence of culture-war infiltrators within the company.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

There's this idea that stuff gets removed to appease some internet clique of "SJWs". The reality is, stuff gets removed or changed because:
-It may bump up the ESRB/PEGI/whatever rating, which affects sales potential
-It may alienate a demographic that the company wants to market the game to
-It could lead to severely negative press if the content is objectionable enough (imo XCX very well could have blown up in their faces if left unchanged)
-It may affect the IP's reputation in the long-term (ie, a series becoming known primarily for cheesecake could give it niche appeal but hurt it in the broader market)

It's always a matter of business and branding, not the shadowy influence of culture-war infiltrators within the company.

Well SJWs do influence what's inappropriate this generation, but people who advocate for supposed decency in games and other media have always existed

The censorship/localization debate predates the acronym for the clinically offended, though

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/inticreatesen/status/882343414498459649

Shantae and Shovel Knight are coming to Blaster Master Zero and they both will be free for the first 2 weeks. Shovel Knight could even do the shovel drop and fish.:3:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Spellman posted:

Well SJWs do influence what's inappropriate this generation, but people who advocate for supposed decency in games and other media have always existed

The censorship/localization debate predates the acronym for the clinically offended, though

Lol source your quotes.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Spellman posted:

:chloe:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I can't believe we still have a few people furious at evil SJWs here in 2017.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wendell posted:

I can't believe we still have a few people furious at evil SJWs here in 2017.

GBS still exists unfortunately

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The KKK took my waifu away

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Bloop posted:

I guess it is dumb marketing, since we know how it turned out, but who the hell is buying a new console because of how the console looks?

I specifically waited for the white PS4 before making my purchase. :iia:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Spellman posted:

Well skeletons do influence what's inappropriate this generation, but people who advocate for supposed decency in games and other media have always existed

:gb2gbs:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Alright Nintendo, you don't want to give us info about Stardew Valley that's fine, whatever.

Where's my goddamn Octopath Traveler info?

SweetBro posted:

To be fair that "stylized" character looks like a creepy uncanny valley mannequin so I'm not sure objectively is the word you wanna use there.

Don't worry she actually is a creepy uncanny valley mannequin because everyone is in stasis and mind controlling robot versions of themselves. Also despite being highly advanced enough to do something like this, they aren't advanced enough to trace signals from their robot bodies back to their actual bodies in a timely fashion, when that's something modern humans can do pretty goddamn easily even without using law enforcement technology like Stingrays.

XCX gets points for trying to do a lot of neat stuff (Skell combat could be cool if it wasn't so hilariously imbalanced and if combat didn't have layer upon layer of bullshit) but holy poo poo their story is bad even by anime-as-hell jRPG standards. It doesn't help that the faces for characters in the game are just unbelievably bad.

:perfect:

Golden Goat posted:

Is it another Tatsu? Cause I really don't want another Tatsu.

I could forgive a lot if XC2 involves a cameo of Riki and Tatsu and Riki is just shaming Tatsu endlessly for being such an awful character.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*checks thread title* nope, not the Vita thread. The amount of creepy anime talk is equivalent however

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Does Mario Kart take up much space when downloaded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I hesitate to call them SJWs because why let them hijack a good thing when they're just outrage bloggers, but lol if you don't think there's a very strange brand of very selectively prudish bullshit in the games press. Game creators changing poo poo because they're afraid Kotaku or Polygon or Vice or any of the other lovely blogs masquerading as actual games media might cry about it is a thing, and what's more, these sites actually pat themselves on the back for this poo poo. Point being, if Nintendo stripped the religious iconography from Castlevania today, half the loving mooks in the game blogs would be writing about how it's actually cool and good because it makes the game more inclusive to atheists and people who might be triggered by Christian symbols.

• Locked thread