Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I think Dead Reckoning would have a point if there was only one drug company and California had to make sure the deal was made with them. The company could tell California to gently caress off, and the state would be screwed. But, that is not the world we live in and there is more than one drug company, so there will always be someone wanting to cut a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
...have you never heard of a patent or something

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Mordiceius posted:

I think Dead Reckoning would have a point if there was only one drug company and California had to make sure the deal was made with them. The company could tell California to gently caress off, and the state would be screwed. But, that is not the world we live in and there is more than one drug company, so there will always be someone wanting to cut a deal.

Yes, because the FREE MARKET will fix all of the problems when it comes to health care.

If California wants to fix this problem they need to make a state owned pharmacy distribution system so that the state of California becomes a monopsony to negotiate with PhRMA. Anything else is just a half assed attempt that will probably lead to failure.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I'm for it. We can nationalize (state-ize?) PG&E while we're at it.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I'm for it. We can nationalize (state-ize?) PG&E while we're at it.

this but also SCE

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

karthun posted:

If California wants to fix this problem they need to make a state owned pharmacy distribution system so that the state of California becomes a monopsony to negotiate with PhRMA. Anything else is just a half assed attempt that will probably lead to failure.

There seems to be a lot of Californian chauvinism going on when thinking about potential single-payer. "We're California! We're so big and important that no drug company would dare turn us down!"

I hate to break it to you, but drug companies can and do decline to sell their drugs at the rate that single-payer plans are willing to pay. There are certain drugs/treatments that you just aren't able to get in certain countries (unless you're willing to go private and pay out of pocket). That's one of the trade-offs of a single-payer system. So the arguments should be about if this trade-off is worthwhile, not trying to argue that it won't exist in California (unlike every other single-payer system in the world).

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Instant Sunrise posted:

If you're Merck, are you really going to let a customer with 38 million patients walk away from the table to switch to a different medication that Phizer offers just because you're too intractable about prices?

Mordiceius posted:

This logic only works if you assume that each company produces a line of drugs that are 1-to-1 substitutes for every other company's similar drug for every patient. Which is not the case. Also, if we assume that California decides to only supply Merck brand painkillers or whatever because Merck offered the best price, are all the people with an allergy to the Merck formula going to be told to get hosed? Are they going to be out of pocket for the Pfizer brand pills?

Instant Sunrise posted:

Yeah the amount per patient is in all likelihood going to be lower, but you're still dealing with losing 40 million customers at once.
If it avoids undercutting your pricing model for 400 million other patients, it absolutely would be a sound financial decision. Especially if you believe (correctly) that California will have to blink first.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

LanceHunter posted:

There are certain drugs/treatments that you just aren't able to get in certain countries (unless you're willing to go private and pay out of pocket). That's one of the trade-offs of a single-payer system. So the arguments should be about if this trade-off is worthwhile, not trying to argue that it won't exist in California (unlike every other single-payer system in the world).

I've never heard of these, so if we're going to argue about the trade-off, could you give an example of what would be traded off: a drug or treatment not covered by a single-payer system?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

karthun posted:

Yes, because the FREE MARKET will fix all of the problems when it comes to health care.

Nationalize (Statize? Stationize? Stateez?) the Pharma industry

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

And now we're back at "nation states have options for cost control that California does not."

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

And now we're back at "nation states have options for cost control that California does not."

I almost wish we could look into a parallel dimension where the California bill moved ahead just so we could see how the federal government twists the commerce clause to prevent CA's system. That poor clause resembles a pretzel after all these years.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Lol Rendon's voice mail for SB562 is now full

I called back to speak to staff and they put me on hold for a minute but I got through

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sundae posted:

we could see how the federal government twists the commerce clause to prevent CA's system.

part of republicans healthcare plan is to force insurance to be sold across state lines. its not clear if that would have to apply to CA'S SP system but lol you can bet like hell they would try

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Doc Hawkins posted:

I've never heard of these, so if we're going to argue about the trade-off, could you give an example of what would be traded off: a drug or treatment not covered by a single-payer system?

There are examples of this in the UK all the time. (Here's another.) Ultimately, there has to be a cost/benefit analysis done and some treatments just don't make the cut. It's still better than a lot of what we have now, but it seems like a lot of people seem to think that single-payer is some perfect solution, not recognizing that it definitely has its own problems.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
You misunderstand, the progressive agenda in California cannot fail, it can only be failed.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

The Glumslinger posted:

You already have the State of California doing a massive amount of biomed research at state universities and massive number of patents that are created only to be sold off to Pharma for massive amounts of money. California could just decide to keep and develop its state owned assets rather then selling them to the highest bidder. Forget about some cocked up attempt of nationalization of a patent that the State of California sold off. Not to mention that 80% of all medication is out of patent generics. There is no reason to nationalize a generic medication, just make the drat pill. It isn't quite a sexy as burn PhARMA to the ground but its the State of California that wants to have its cake and eat it too, they want a billion dollars cash for the patent of a drug which will sell 100,000 pills in a year and are surprised when the pills cost 1,000 each for 10 years. If California were to instead put the pill into production at a state owned generic pill factory then it would cost $0.50 per pill. But then you don't get to have the billion USD of deficit reduction to continue to pay for the stupidity that is California tax law.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

There are examples of this in the UK all the time. (Here's another.) Ultimately, there has to be a cost/benefit analysis done and some treatments just don't make the cut. It's still better than a lot of what we have now, but it seems like a lot of people seem to think that single-payer is some perfect solution, not recognizing that it definitely has its own problems.

That seems like the same decisions that insurance companies are making now, but without their profit motives. It's still people not getting the treatment they need, just less of it than we have now.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Assembly Speaker Rendon's social media staff really hasn't caught on that trying to post articles defending his actions on Facebook is just giving people more posts to comment on. Anyway, just called, pressed 3, and said, "This is urgent. Move the bill forward and amend it."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

snyprmag posted:

That seems like the same decisions that insurance companies are making now, but without their profit motives. It's still people not getting the treatment they need, just less of it than we have now.

I think you'll find that the many many more people denied treatment by private insurance are just lazy.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dead Reckoning posted:

You misunderstand, the progressive agenda in California cannot fail, it can only be failed.

I'd don't know about you, but I'd rather that single payer in CA fail because it gets tried but ultimately proves unworkable than because it was procedurally ratfucked by a single assemblyman.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'd don't know about you, but I'd rather that single payer in CA fail because it gets tried but ultimately proves unworkable than because it was procedurally ratfucked by a single assemblyman.

To be fair, it's likely to be procedurally ratfucked by some other politician instead. The one strong argument Dead Reckoning has is that we are not a sovereign country and anyone can simply stick their boot up our rear end and then blame it on us. That's politics.

Not that that means we shouldn't do it, of course. Poor optics are worth potentially preserving and extending health coverage to millions of people. DR simply doesn't understand trying and failing is better than not trying, despite the thousands of aphorisms designed to help him learn it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Here is your semi-regular reminder that California is objectively The Best State.

vox posted:

California decided it was tired of women bleeding to death in childbirth

The maternal mortality rate in the state is a third of the American average. Here's why.

Her pregnancy was so exceptionally complicated, it inspired a scientific journal case study. But it’s also emblematic of how unpredictably dangerous birth can be, even for healthy women — and how the deadliest pregnancy complications are survivable when hospitals prepare for them.

The Stanford doctors and nurses who treated her were ready with a precise set of steps to manage her care. Among them: hemorrhage guidelines created by a doctor named David Lagrew as part of Stanford’s California Maternal Quality Care Collaborative (CMQCC), a revolutionary initiative to make births safer for moms in the state. A decade into their project, they’ve proved that even within America’s imperfect health system, death in childbirth is not an inevitability.
California has managed to buck America’s grim maternal death trend

In the US, childbirth has been growing more dangerous recently. Maternal mortality — defined as the death of a mother from pregnancy-related complications while she’s carrying or within 42 days after birth — in the US soared by 27 percent, from 19 per 100,000 to 24 per 100,000, between 2000 and 2014.

That’s more than three times the rate of the United Kingdom, and about eight times the rates of Netherlands, Norway, and Sweden, according to the OECD.

It's a stunning example of how poorly the American health care system stacks up against its developed peers. More women in labor or brand new mothers die here than in any other high-income country. And the CDC Foundation estimates that 60 percent of these deaths are preventable.

But as the mortality rate has been edging up nationally, California has made remarkable progress in the opposite direction: Fewer and fewer women are dying in childbirth in the state.

So how did California manage to buck the trend? I was curious, particularly as American women’s health is under assault, with the GOP push to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act.

I went to California to learn about what they were doing right, and found that all roads led to CMQCC, the multi-disciplinary health collective (based out of Stanford).

Read the whole article, etc.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

Lemming posted:

Lol Rendon's voice mail for SB562 is now full

I called back to speak to staff and they put me on hold for a minute but I got through

I called Harris and Feinstein. For shits and giggles I called Pelosi, too, since she's my house rep (and the only one that picked up). The person on the other side was really not very pleasant. Seemed to be in a great hurry to end the call.

Me: "Can Rep Pelosi offer and social pressure or public comments to move the bill forward?"

Office: "It's a Senate Bill, not a house bill."

Me: "I'm aware. I'm not asking for a vote on it, I'm asking for her help in pressuring Rendon."

Office: "It's Rep Pelosi's policy not to interfere in Senate issues."

Me: "Could I get at least a comment on whether or not it's a bad thing?"

Office: "All of Rep Pelosi's stances are on her website."

Me: "Is this block a good thing?"

Office: "I cannot speak for Rep Pelosi."

Me: :sigh: "Okay. Thanks for your time."

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
"If you can't speak for her why do you answer her phone? Give me the # for her direct line"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

"You work for her. Can you ask her, please? I will be calling again until you are able to give me an answer."

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Are we mixing up state representatives with US reps?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Possible they are calling about the Death Bill in the Senate right now and not 562.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

CopperHound posted:

Are we mixing up state representatives with US reps?

Definitely distinct. I don't fault them for being particular. I still would like her to call him out on Twitter or _something_.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

I guess The Intercept is now on the side of the neoliberals. 2017, eh?

https://theintercept.com/2017/06/30/california-single-payer-organizers-are-deceiving-their-supporters-its-time-to-stop/

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
So the bill is dead yes?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Put up a prop that makes a single payer tax immune to 98 and also not touchable for any reason other than healthcare. Two birds with one stone to make it pretty possible and also shut down the "BUT THEM STATE GUYS DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT TOUCH MONEY."

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Woof Blitzer posted:

So the bill is dead yes?

It's merely sleeping forever, silly voter. Also shut the gently caress up.

A political campaign exaggerated something! We need to stop trying to give people healthcare.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Woof Blitzer posted:

So the bill is dead yes?

Serious question: I thought we had until the 13th to call about it, no? Is it actually dead? :(

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, we do. See my response to Stone Cold above. Once you enact single payer, you create an entitlement that obliges California to provide people certain drugs. Pharmaceutical companies are not obligated to sell California those drugs, so California has to blink first. California can beg for them to sell at a lower price, but has no means of actually compelling them the way Canada does.

Expand. You appear to be hand waving it away. What can Canada do? Surely pharma can skull gently caress Canadians to ensure Germany pays up.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pharmaceutical companies would absolutely blink first, the idea that they could deny 40 million people drugs at profitable prices because they want to squeeze even more profit out of the corpses, and survive the PR backlash is ludicrous. They would have no choice but to suck it up, just like they do for Medicaid and the VA, and they know it.

There's a reason they spent $100 million to defeat the initiative and why they're always buying legislators to make sure Medicare is banned from negotiating drug prices.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jo posted:

Serious question: I thought we had until the 13th to call about it, no? Is it actually dead? :(

Rendon can move it to committee at any time, he just won't because a ballot measure means the legislature can wipe their hands of it

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Rendon can move it to committee at any time, he just won't because a ballot measure means the legislature can wipe their hands of it
Is a proposition on the table?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cicero posted:

Is a proposition on the table?

And if it isn't, how do we get it on there?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No, don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Not that that means we shouldn't do it, of course. Poor optics are worth potentially preserving and extending health coverage to millions of people. DR simply doesn't understand trying and failing is better than not trying, despite the thousands of aphorisms designed to help him learn it.
"Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all" is what you tell your kid when they're nervous about going out for the softball team. It is not a rationalization for spending millions of dollars on quixotic projects that are incomplete, poorly thought out, or doomed to fail (all three, in this case) because of some pearl-clutching "we have to do *something*!!" mindset. No matter how lovely the status quo is, it is irrational to endorse change if there is no logical reason to believe it will actually improve things.

Boot and Rally posted:

Expand. You appear to be hand waving it away. What can Canada do? Surely pharma can skull gently caress Canadians to ensure Germany pays up.
IIRC, the Canadian Patent & Trademark office has a committee that can investigate drug prices and mandate lower prices in some cases. They can do this because they are a sovereign country. California cannot do this, because it is an administrative subdivision of the United States; Cali can only say how much we are willing to pay. We cannot force the manufacturer to sell at that price. This is why I think single payer is something we should be focusing on at the federal level.