Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

1stGear posted:

IIRC, this is literally the defense people gave when people were yelling Sieg Heil and giving the Nazi salute during that one Richard Spencer speech.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised.

"It's just a joke lol" they say while marching them into the ovens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Groovelord Neato posted:

his videos about nostalgia critic and spoony one were actually pretty sane and interesting but his one about linkara started fairly normal and got super weird and transphobic and then i saw that garbage like what i linked in my sidebar. then i realized he was internet aristocrat who i had only heard of in some mocking video since it seemed like a made up character to parody people like sargon.

Mister Metokur came about when he got bored doing Internet Atistocrat (who did anti SJW videos).
He stopped posting videos until the Bundy Ranch thing where he started posting seven hour live streams. And a lot of people were watching them.
He then did some BLM hangouts and loads of people were watching that.
So he now picks a topic worth talking about, and gives his usual dry sarcasm on it

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Just watched his video on the JonTron drama. He points his ridiculous it would be for the half Iranian son of immigrants to be a white nationalist. But fails to point out that JonTron in fact is one because JonTron is loving stupid. So he's a dishonest gently caress.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The thing that makes me angriest about these people is that none of them bothered to learn anything about video production. They're stupid and dishonest and use the worst possible equipment to make videos that look like garbage, while the people they see themselves battling put actual work into good arguments that are presented well and look good. Ignorance is no excuse. Contrapoints was a part-time philosopher and taxi driver but he still learned about cameras and figured out how to light something right.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

nickmeister posted:

Just watched his video on the JonTron drama. He points his ridiculous it would be for the half Iranian son of immigrants to be a white nationalist. But fails to point out that JonTron in fact is one because JonTron is loving stupid. So he's a dishonest gently caress.
i liked the video where he talked about a person who went on a shooting spree due to untreated mental illness, acknowledged the problem, and then concluded the video with "all that we can do for these people is mock & laugh at them"

because if anything helps the mentally ill feel encouraged to be open about their issues and seek help, its ridicule and contempt

though he puts on a pretty clean face compared to other Skeptics, diversifying his content while sprinkling in the frog-pandering videos once in a while to keep the nationalism-bucks flowing

business hammocks posted:

They're stupid and dishonest
yes

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Contrapoints was a part-time philosopher and taxi driver

Now I'm just imagining someone getting in a taxi only for the doors to lock, smoke to start pouring out and Contra just turning to look at them from the driver's seat in their costume du jour and announce that today's ride will discuss the merits of immigration to the welfare system.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tesseraction posted:

Now I'm just imagining someone getting in a taxi only for the doors to lock, smoke to start pouring out and Contra just turning to look at them from the driver's seat in their costume du jour and announce that today's ride will discuss the merits of immigration to the welfare system.

I want this for Christmas.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It would be an actually good version of that old Discovery Channel game show that took place in a cab.

"Quick, define the concept of meritocracy that you used in answering that last question about color-blind college admissions policy. But don't let it lead to contradictory outcomes or...you lose. You have until this light changes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It would be an actually good version of that old Discovery Channel game show that took place in a cab.

"Quick, define the concept of meritocracy that you used in answering that last question about color-blind college admissions policy. But don't let it lead to contradictory outcomes or...you lose. You have until this light changes.

It's too bad that Contra is not a goon and will never read this.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Was it this thread or another where I wondered if Always Sunny was going to be our cultural artifact a la Shakespeare or Aristophanes

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Was it this thread or another where I wondered if Always Sunny was going to be our cultural artifact a la Shakespeare or Aristophanes

It has to be Seinfeld, doesn't it? Or the Simpsons?

The Simpsons was the major influence on almost everyone under 40 doing animation or comedy in the US right now.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Eh, no one really thinks about the plays Shakespeare mined for ideas.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It's Naruto. Post-apocalytic molerats are going to discuss Naruto as the cultural touchstone for analysis of the last few decades of the pre-civilized era. It might be DBZ if we're lucky, or 2.5 Men if they want to discuss how exactly everything fell apart, and one mole will write an essay called "Lord of the Rings: a study on the mythologisation of prejudice in the previous world" that no one will read.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ragnar34 posted:

It's Naruto. Post-apocalytic molerats are going to discuss Naruto as the cultural touchstone for analysis of the last few decades of the pre-civilized era. It might be DBZ if we're lucky, or 2.5 Men if they want to discuss how exactly everything fell apart, and one mole will write an essay called "Lord of the Rings: a study on the mythologisation of prejudice in the previous world" that no one will read.

I'd read that LOTR piece because, unlike the other things you listed, LOTR was good and had actual meaning.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tolkien is actually a major influence on the reacto worldview by virtue of inspiring a million paperback imitators that transmitted a mythological model of a pure white culture and the script for a clash of civilizations in which massing dark hordes pressure a noble society in decline from a perfect golden age into battle.

Look at the Golden One's bookshelves in the background of his videos and know at least 33% of why he turned out that way.

I guess people lobbed that one at Tolkien after the whole Hitler thing, though.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a list of movies that the alt-right have appropriated over the years as part of their meme lexicon? I've noticed that their taste aligns almost exactly with the IMDB user base's top 250, but that's probably because they are both composed of twenty-something white males of average intelligence: The Dark Knight, Fight Club, Idiocracy, The Matrix, et cetera. I imagine most of the filmmakers behind these movies (besides Mike Judge) would be aghast at the ways they have been embraced by the Internet far-right.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Hmm yes, the famously good-natured and sincere Blair White.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Edible Hat posted:

Is there a list of movies that the alt-right have appropriated over the years as part of their meme lexicon? I've noticed that their taste aligns almost exactly with the IMDB user base's top 250, but that's probably because they are both composed of twenty-something white males of average intelligence: The Dark Knight, Fight Club, Idiocracy, The Matrix, et cetera. I imagine most of the filmmakers behind these movies (besides Mike Judge) would be aghast at the ways they have been embraced by the Internet far-right.

Let's make the list now. Add American Psycho, American History X.

Basically add any satire of various sub-types of white American masculinity in the late 20th century. Especially if the satire was originally penned by a white guy himself.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They LOVE Mel Brooks because he's the cypher that makes funny antisemitism ok by putting it under the banner of playful transgression. For some reason they never really seem to think about what exactly he was transgressing or why, but are certain that they're acting in the same tradition and you're a hypocritical censor for suggesting otherwise.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Hmm yes, the famously good-natured and sincere Blair White.

If you guys are gonna keep calling me a nazi, well poo poo, I guess I have to become a nazi. :shrug:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Edible Hat posted:

I wonder if Starship Troopers is on the list. They definitely like the original book.

Also it bears repeating that the siblings behind The Matrix are two transwomen who used to have professional BDSM mistresses.What did the rear end in a top hat traitor say in the first movie? "Shove that red pill right up your rear end!" That would be a good representative of their feelings on all this, I imagine.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zach Snyder is probably in that list.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

If you guys are gonna keep calling me a nazi, well poo poo, I guess I have to become a nazi. :shrug:

If only you bitches had been nicer to me and had sex with me I would be a feminist. But you were rude and hurt my feelings and now I am a nazi and it's your fault.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

NikkolasKing posted:

I wonder if Starship Troopers is on the list. They definitely like the original book.

Also it bears repeating that the siblings behind The Matrix are two transwomen who used to have professional BDSM mistresses.What did the rear end in a top hat traitor say in the first movie? "Shove that red pill right up your rear end!" That would be a good representative of their feelings on all this, I imagine.

I wish I could remember who pointed it out to me, but the core action behind Neo "taking the red pill" is "a woman and a black man explain to a white man that he's wrong about literally everything."

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zach Snyder is probably in that list.

Oh, yeah. How could I forget 300? Molon labe, indeed.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Edible Hat posted:

Back when the internet was still young and full of newsgroups, filmmakers posted under their real names and assumed they were talking to well-adjusted fans rather than angry manchildren.

The Star Trek DS9 guys turned Gul Dukat from a monstrous villain with actual depth and motivations into an incoherent raving loon in the last season because they thought that Star Trek forums posters going "Gull Dukat did nothing wrong, other than not putting enough people in concentration camps" meant they had accidentally made the space nazis look too good, and not that people on the internet are terrible.

Innocent times :kiddo:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nickmeister posted:

it's like how people defend sheriff clarke when you call him a white supremacist with "but he's black!!"

that doesn't somehow delete everything he's said and done.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have a half-Latino cousin (who looks like he's from Northern Europe) who calls the Latino side of his family "spics." It's probably more common than you'd expect.

Heretic Void
Jan 31, 2015

Always lurking, rarely posting
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/882385088457134080

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I doubt they would, since they never were.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Of course the Sun likes him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"British star" seems to be overselling him a little. Also he's probably one of those people who insists on calling himself English.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I can't believe noted Witcher 3 berserker Ian Miles Cheong has been published in the Sun, jesus

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Scum attracts scum.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did he get the space they used to reserve for teenagers with their tits out?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Did he get the space they used to reserve for teenagers with their tits out?

Thats from the website.
I think you need to be at least a ZZ lower celebrity to get printed in the actual newspaper.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

I wish I could remember who pointed it out to me, but the core action behind Neo "taking the red pill" is "a woman and a black man explain to a white man that he's wrong about literally everything."

Oh god the illusion of the sterilized world of the Matrix is privilege

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

1999 really was the apex of human civilization (for white American men), wasn't it?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Also the Switch character was originally going to be explicitly trans (presented as male in the matrix, but female out, or vice-versa, can't remember/doesn't matter) hence the handle "Switch." I think it had to be cut for time, sadly.

She still has the best pre-death words ever. "Not like this.

not like this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

1999 really was the apex of human civilization (for white American men), wasn't it?

Go re-watch American Beauty and you'll see that we at least thought it was.

• Locked thread