Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

trapt posted:

I'm new to this game (highest level is 20) and I have a few questions.

1) OP mentions a free 5*... How do I get it? I only have 3* from story mode.

At some point Dr. Mog teaches you how to use relic draw and thats a guaranteed 5*. Pretty sure that's early on though?

As for a reccomended pack: pull on mogs banner 2. The relics are considered a bit outdated but have a lot of great staples for newbies like Shout or Sentinels Grimoire.

Alternatively a highly anticipated banner is popping up tonight for ff7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

trapt posted:

I'm new to this game (highest level is 20) and I have a few questions.

1) OP mentions a free 5*... How do I get it? I only have 3* from story mode.

2) I'm at 45 crystals, almost ready to pull and I have no idea which pack to get. Are they all the same?

3) I auto all fights with no loss, when does it get harder?

1) You should have a tutorial relic draw at some point, that hands out one of three fixed 5* weapons. Dunno how the game handles it these days, but it should be pretty much forced. You either get Danjuro (XII), Blitz Sword (VIII) or a Zantetzuken (VI)

2) When you're starting out, pretty much any character relics are going to be a huge boon. We're a few short days (or hours) away from an excellent FF7 themed banner, which might be worth waiting for. Or alternatively if you want to pull right now, the Summer Festival banner is fairly strong too, and goes away today. The FF12 stuff ain't half bad either, if you're a huge fan on the game. However, DO NOT pull on the two Keeper's Choice banners. Both are heavily power creeped at this point.

3) Realm Dungeons are going to be a slog for a while. They're basically a place to grind out of Mythril and Stamina now, and they're pretty boring at the start. Power creep has gone way past the early content, and it'll be super easy. Real meat and bones of the game is under Event Dungeons, which can be fiercely difficult. You'll reach a progression wall pretty fast there. Just try out everything you can, push for higher difficulties, and keep an eye on when you hit the wall, then ask for advice, etc.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Yeah Keeper's Choice 1&2 are really not worth pulling on at all any more. Shout and Sentinel Grimoire are great but getting good BSBs off the new banners is generally gonna serve you better.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Also only ever do the 11x draw which costs 50 mythril. It guarantees you at least one 5* relic. The 100 gem pull (that you can only do once) is also great value and only costs $1. No guarantee for a 5* from it, however.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Attestant posted:

Ice is a rough element for everyone who hasn't been pulling a lot on FF8 stuff. It's been surprisingly rare on banners.

Vivi/Shantotto/Palom/Lulu have tri-element BSBs if you pulled them, and Serah/Reynn also have Ice-based BSBs. On the physical side, Celes offered two BSBs in the last event, and Steiner recently had his tri-element OSB. Delita also has a quad-element BSB. Snow also has an ice-based BSB. None of the physical stuff is Enelement other than Squall's, but you can still manage it with enough buffs/debuffs.

Ice isn't nearly as common as Lightning/Holy, but it's definitely common enough as of late. If anything, it's just pretty hard to take advantage of in general because of the lack of +Ice equipment and with only two Ice Imperils around (one of which was only just released).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I dunno - you still need Lifesiphon and Wrath to get USBs up

Nope. They're buffing SB generation on abilities across the board (except Lifesiphon and Wrath) and notably not buffing the SB generation of BSB commands. Assuming this is more than just +5 SB gain (I'm expecting 5 star abilities to go from 60 to 80 or so), it's a major buff to characters without Lifesiphon/Wrath access and really devalues those two skills across the board.

quote:

And a lot of the USBs actually make BSBs even better, which is why they need the ability buffs so badly.

The majority of BSB commands are already worse than abilities. They're going to be very close to universally worse after the buff -- the exceptions will be the truly irreplaceable ones like Raines/Alphinaud command 1.

quote:

Like I got Shantotto's Chain during this fest and my best option playing around with it is almost always to use BSBs after I start it, then Cid OSBs when it's about to finish.

Apples and oranges. You're comparing Global's now to Japan's next week.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Zurai posted:

The majority of BSB commands are already worse than abilities. They're going to be very close to universally worse after the buff -- the exceptions will be the truly irreplaceable ones like Raines/Alphinaud command 1.

Yeah, it was pretty much just them being theoretically infinite and not requiring insane amounts of Orbs to hone that made them "better," as well as generally having more hits to play nice with Faith and Boost meta. But yeah, I can also confirm a lot of the USBs don't play nice with their BSBs, just off the cuff I experimented with Squall's USB and BSB for a bit after getting them and ultimately decided it's not worth trying to use them together. Now that they're doing the buff, though, I might consider honing up a Flare Strike to use with his USB.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

so basically the gist is save up all the orbs (assuming you can beat the current difficulties), see how the changes shake out, and buy those things that woulda been insane not long ago (flare strike, holy, etc)

trapt
Sep 21, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

At some point Dr. Mog teaches you how to use relic draw and thats a guaranteed 5*. Pretty sure that's early on though?

As for a reccomended pack: pull on mogs banner 2. The relics are considered a bit outdated but have a lot of great staples for newbies like Shout or Sentinels Grimoire.

Alternatively a highly anticipated banner is popping up tonight for ff7.

Ok, got my 5*! I'll also wait for the ff7 banner.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

trapt posted:

Ok, got my 5*! I'll also wait for the ff7 banner.

Current festival banner seems better to me. Tons of BSBs (important to new players) and wall. The OSB for Tyro is garbage though.

Wall increases party defense and resistance 200%.

Half of the VII banner isn't very good. Cloud's 6* relic is amazing, but only if you have a lot of support for it. Which you don't have.

Make sure you play the weekly events as far as you can. Those go away forever and give lots of xp eggs, mythril, and free characters.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

LornMarkus posted:

Yeah, it was pretty much just them being theoretically infinite and not requiring insane amounts of Orbs to hone that made them "better," as well as generally having more hits to play nice with Faith and Boost meta. But yeah, I can also confirm a lot of the USBs don't play nice with their BSBs, just off the cuff I experimented with Squall's USB and BSB for a bit after getting them and ultimately decided it's not worth trying to use them together. Now that they're doing the buff, though, I might consider honing up a Flare Strike to use with his USB.

Yep. Also coming with the ability revamp is a change to daily dungeons such that each orb type is its own dungeon, so you can farm for the exact orbs you want. You'll also be able to farm for crystals (there's a new EX+ difficulty where the magic pots drop crystals instead of orbs), so finally 6 star abilities will be reasonably honeable for non-whales.

Pander posted:

so basically the gist is save up all the orbs (assuming you can beat the current difficulties), see how the changes shake out, and buy those things that woulda been insane not long ago (flare strike, holy, etc)

I wouldn't worry too much about saving up orbs since it'll be so much easier to farm up orbs you're missing around the same time the ability revamp drops. Definitely take advantage of global's months of foresight though; we'll know what all the abilities got changed to on the 11th-12th (Enlir, the guy who maintains the comprehensive spreadsheet, has a copy of every 5 and 6 star ability for just this sort of eventuality, so it's just a matter of him going through the mind-numbing process of entering a battle with every ability equipped and recording the changes).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
So those ability updates are gonna be, what, sometime around December for us?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Gonna agree that new guy should pull on the summer relic festival phase 5 banner because at worst even if he whiffs it should give him the sentinel grimoire which will serve him a lot better than clouds usb will for a long while

Also new guy should note that this banner disappears in 6 hours

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I have Agrias BSB and have never used it :v: I see people chase it frequently but I have Orlandeu OSB and that edges her out for "FFT Knight with Holy Damage with Spellblades Also"

Yeah I'm not too broken up about it, which is why I only did one pull instead of chasing it. I've already got her enholy SSB and her OSB, so she still kicks rear end against anything that's holy weak, and the upcoming 5* buffs will make BSBs a lot less useful. Having an imperil holy would be really nice though.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
https://youtu.be/hCEQYPkqDG8

The intern who makes these is definitely trying to see how many he can get away with.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Eiko's BSB is just +crit rate and not +crit damage as well right?

HPanda posted:

Why not both?

Sure, not as much use against already weak to holy bosses, but a hell of a combo otherwise. My default kill squad is Agrias (SSB, BSB), Beatrix (SSB, SSB, BSB), Orlandeau (BSB), Ramza (Shout), and Eiko (BSB). Gotta switch it up for Apoc+, but this team handles just about everything shy of that.

Orlandu with just his BSB isn't very good though because the commands are long charge times. If you have his OSB then going OSB->BSB lets you completely shred bosses though. :iia:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Orlandu with just his BSB isn't very good though because the commands are long charge times. If you have his OSB then going OSB->BSB lets you completely shred bosses though. :iia:

Since I lack his OSB I just give him R3 powerchain and R3 full charge and just have him use them until he builds enough charge to BSB.
Or I lifesiphon up enough for about 2 bars, then powerchain, BSB, SSB, then spam CMD1 until I have enough to SSB again.

Orlandeau's fun, even without his OSB!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Evil Fluffy posted:

In a full throttle situation, though, Powerchain/BSB or TG Mode materia BSB is a thing.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

CaptainPsyko posted:

In a full throttle situation, though, Powerchain/BSB or TG Mode materia BSB is a thing.

I'm looking forward to trying Jump Start with Shout + Chant + TG mode RM + Cloud USB RW + Orlandeau BSB with +holy sword and +holy armor. His 4.0 multiplier burst command x2 (double power crit) x 1.4 (holy boost) x 1.3 (EX Soldier damage buff) = 14.56 Multiplier. It's like using his OSB every round. Granted, against hard content that'll still be way less than 100k per round, but it should still be fun.

Throw in Imperil Holy from Agrias/Beatrix BSBs for much fun. 1.4 from 2x holy imperil gets that multiplier up to 20.38, and now you might start getting into the 100k per turn range.

Problem is that won't work for non-Jump Start fights, and the JS fights are always easier than the r+, so you'll probably already have a different strategy worked out...

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 4, 2017

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

It might be worth holding on to for the Jump Start torments. Are we going to stop getting the Jump Start versions of the A+ fights eventually and just have the Torment jump starts, or will the Jump Start A+ fights be a permanent fixture?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I just realized Orlandeau's BSB entry doesn't take much longer to cast than his BSB commands. So I could spam his BSB entry 3 times... the entry is a 10 multiplier, and with triple imperil, that's 10*2*1.4*1.6*1.3 = 58.24 multiplier. :getin:

Zonko_T.M. posted:

It might be worth holding on to for the Jump Start torments. Are we going to stop getting the Jump Start versions of the A+ fights eventually and just have the Torment jump starts, or will the Jump Start A+ fights be a permanent fixture?

We're still getting JS versions of the A+ fights with the Japan events, so I think it's a permanent feature.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Can't wait to flush the last of my Mythril tonight chasing Cloud USB. Ah, capitalism :911:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

IllegallySober posted:

Can't wait to flush the last of my Mythril tonight chasing Cloud USB. Ah, capitalism :911:

I have one shot left after only needing two to get SG so I'm rolling the dice!

Zero dupes and a lot of the other stuff looks pretty good so it seems like a good banner to spend my last 50 mythril on.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I started bringing Deployment Tactics on a heal bot Alphenaud in MP fights. It's surprisingly great, especially in the final push for most fights.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
3/11

Cloud BSB2, Cait Sith BSB, Barret SSB

No grand prizes, but I'll save my Mythril for other stuff now that I have 4 dupes.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Did a pull. 1/11 Rufus garbage.

Did a second. 1/11... Disco!!! Cloud USB!! The happiest 1/11 I've ever had.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I pulled once on Cloud! I got... Vincent and Rufus' SSBs.

I'm debating a second, but, this is risky.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Green Megaphone/11, not even a good support SSB.

I've still got 157 mythril here, tell me what else is coming up that I might want to pull on before I do a second pull looking for some wind damage

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Post them friend codes if you've got 'em time to fill my RW list up

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

There's a decent X banner in a week and a great IV next month. Some decent stop Gap synergy banners for XI, XV, and VIII coming up but nothing crazy top tiered there.

Cloud USB friend code: WPfE

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
I think I would have liked Zack's wind chain even more than Cloud's USB, but at any rate on two pulls I got two Ultima Blades and one each of Sephiroth and Cait Sith's BSB (and a dupe Green Megaphone), so I think I have everything on the banner now except the 6*s and Cid's Javelin. I figured I was coming out of this with a billion SSB dupes, so I think I'm going to cut and run while I still have some mythril left. It's not like I lack for good banners to pull on in the future.

edit:

ZiegeDame posted:

Green Megaphone/11, not even a good support SSB.

Untrue, it's a breakdown-strength Full Break on a support/dancer class who can off-heal. I still use him a lot.

MikeSevigny fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 5, 2017

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
1/11 Vincent Shotgun. I did it. I got the worst roll.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
First pull was 4/11:
Green Megaphone
Javelin
Shortbarrel
Enhancer

Not bad

Second pull:

That'll do, FFRK, that'll do. Time to dust off Cloud and feed him some motes for his LMs too. :toot:

Got Cid's Goggles (two of them, but I combined them months ago :smithicide:) too so I think I might have to try to setup a wind murder team. Also have Alphinaud and Fujin's BSBs.

e: Everything (except the javelins, due to my 1st pull) is new in the screenshot too.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 5, 2017

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

2/11

Gun Arm
Gun

:derp:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

MikeSevigny posted:

Untrue, it's a breakdown-strength Full Break on a support/dancer class who can off-heal. I still use him a lot.

Would have preferred a penta-break, not this get overwritten by a 5* poo poo.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

spent my last 50 for a shot:

vincent shotgun, cait sith burst.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
The second VIII banner is really good actually. Especially if you need ice and wind element.

Rinoa's BSB2 and CSB, and Edea's BSB are some of the top ice element mage relics.
Fujin OSB + BSB + attach wind SSB lets you mage meta Golem. You want to mage meta Golem if you can, since he has hefty shield against physical.
Raijin's SSB is actually worth using occasionally because blink + party fastcast is good.

For water save up for Edge's USB. The upcoming X banner does have water BSBs but they are kinda terrible. No enWater, no dark bargain, just plain outdated relics.

But it really depends on which elements you are lacking. What do you need to be able to tackle the magicite dungeons?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Pulled again, and not great. Sephiroth's BSB, which is pretty good but not game changing, and the crappy green megaphone that just puts together two abilities into a soul break. Weee

So this banner was a big ol disappointment for me. Guess my luck was too good on the previous banners. At least I can RW Cloud USB reliably with native wall now.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Trip report: tried Cloud's USB out for the first time with TGC's BSB with minimal setup and hit the Jammer Armour for 200k :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Heck yeah, Cloud USB is mine! Also green megaphone :geno:

acumen posted:

Post them friend codes if you've got 'em time to fill my RW list up

Mines 74sE, Eiko USB usually optimized for each event if I have synergy.

• Locked thread