Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

IuniusBrutus posted:

I wish there were an Android TV option that didn't blow. I'd love to have something with full Chromecast integration that I could still use my Harmony remote with.

ShieldTV.

Not sure about an IR Harmony remote, but I know the Harmony Hub connects via BT with no issues. Though I did have to add "Mac PC" profile so I could get a "menu" button since the Nvidia profile only has a "Home" and "Back" function which matches the Shield Remote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Roku added Boomerang tv. Does anyone subscribe to it? If so, does it have a lot of the older cartoons or just their newer versions?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Yep the only way to get Jeopardy for me is from the local NBC affiliate which I pick-up OTA since not on Vue.

Edit:

Also if you have an Echo you should be playing Jeopardy everyday on it.

Gotcha. I can figure out the OTA, but is there an easy way to DVR that or not? It sounds terrible to say, but literally Jeopardy with DVR can be a deal breaker. We watch it every day, and we both work till 7-8pm.

I have cameras, Nest Thermostat, I have the Philips lights, etc, but I haven't been willing to get an Echo or google home. In part I don't think it would hook up right with my Sonos system, and in part it just doesn't appeal to me. I also never, ever use Siri on my phone.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Duckman2008 posted:

Gotcha. I can figure out the OTA, but is there an easy way to DVR that or not? It sounds terrible to say, but literally Jeopardy with DVR can be a deal breaker. We watch it every day, and we both work till 7-8pm.

I have cameras, Nest Thermostat, I have the Philips lights, etc, but I haven't been willing to get an Echo or google home. In part I don't think it would hook up right with my Sonos system, and in part it just doesn't appeal to me. I also never, ever use Siri on my phone.

Plex DVR will do it, but you're paying for PlexPass (5bux a month). Kodi can do it too, but it's a lot more work to get the PVR working with guide data. If you want to just spend all the money you'll have to spend in one hit, a Tivo Roamio with a lifetime subscription tends to go on sale fairly often.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Trip Report:

Now a full 6 months out, and DTVN is goddamn amazing on Roku. I can see why they delayed the app to make it less lovely than the awful FireTV implementation, and/or the service itself has drastically improved its streaming capability.

All the On Demand stuff works flawlessly without any hiccups, the streams are excellent with legit surround sound and while it doesn't have DVR stuff down it's not a feature either myself or my fiancee miss at all, but then again she's a casual (albeit avid) watcher and I'm mostly in it for the On Demand for current shows and the cheap as gently caress HBO access.

It's frankly ridiculous that we're only paying $40 a month for it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

They make cheap OTA DVRs that you can just plug a portable hard drive into.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Trip Report:

Now a full 6 months out, and DTVN is goddamn amazing on Roku. I can see why they delayed the app to make it less lovely than the awful FireTV implementation, and/or the service itself has drastically improved its streaming capability.

All the On Demand stuff works flawlessly without any hiccups, the streams are excellent with legit surround sound and while it doesn't have DVR stuff down it's not a feature either myself or my fiancee miss at all, but then again she's a casual (albeit avid) watcher and I'm mostly in it for the On Demand for current shows and the cheap as gently caress HBO access.

It's frankly ridiculous that we're only paying $40 a month for it.

Yeah, the service got way better after launch and the AppleTV app has been rock solid. The FireTV app was just awful and I think it was a mistake to launch with such a buggy app in the first place.

I use a mix of AppleTV and Roku apps in my house and am very pleased with the performance.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

IuniusBrutus posted:

I have a Roku Premiere+ and the YouTube app is a giant buggy piece of poo poo. This is one of my two primary methods of media consumption so this is unacceptable. Googling indicates that I am not the only one with the issue. Has anyone else had this issue and managed to fix it? If not, am I stuck going to an Apple TV?

I have an older Roku 2 XS and YouTube worked flawlessly for a few years but once YouTube/Alphabet (Google) started pumping out more and more awful/ghastly ads it started crashing/freezing reliably every single day.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, the service got way better after launch and the AppleTV app has been rock solid. The FireTV app was just awful and I think it was a mistake to launch with such a buggy app in the first place.

I use a mix of AppleTV and Roku apps in my house and am very pleased with the performance.

Unfortunately the Vue app is the opposite. Much better on FireTV. I also still use my AppleTV 4 (I moved it to my bedroom). Fingers crossed for a new AppleTV soon with 4K. Once that happens I'm giving the FireTV to my daughter.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

TheScott2K posted:

Plex DVR will do it, but you're paying for PlexPass (5bux a month). Kodi can do it too, but it's a lot more work to get the PVR working with guide data. If you want to just spend all the money you'll have to spend in one hit, a Tivo Roamio with a lifetime subscription tends to go on sale fairly often.

What's the best way to catch the Tivo deals? Just keep an eye on their site/get on their mailing list or are they through third parties? We're ditching cable soon and the Tivo DVR is what I"m going to miss the most.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you want it soon, probably not through their mailing list because their month-long (I think?) sale ended last Friday. Don’t think they had OTAs on sale, though.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

What's the best way to catch the Tivo deals? Just keep an eye on their site/get on their mailing list or are they through third parties? We're ditching cable soon and the Tivo DVR is what I"m going to miss the most.

r/cordcutters tends to make some noise when the TiVo boxen are up for sale.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
Kind of curious, has anybody else become incapable of watching commercials years after cord cutting? I cannot look directly at a TV playing a commercial for more than 5-10 seconds before something short-circuits in my head and makes me look away, I've been wondering whether this is just me.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Kind of curious, has anybody else become incapable of watching commercials years after cord cutting? I cannot look directly at a TV playing a commercial for more than 5-10 seconds before something short-circuits in my head and makes me look away, I've been wondering whether this is just me.

Same here. If I am watching actual TV somewhere, I'll either turn it off, or change the channel soon as one comes on.

Was at my parents house recently when they were watching The Walking Dead.. I simply cannot believe how much there is now. Out of curiosity I timed it. There were just over 3.5 minutes of show then followed by 5 minutes of commercials. The next segment lasted slightly over 4 minutes, before yet another 5 minutes of commercials. With the sheer amount of commercials the episode itself couldn't have been more than 40 minutes long.

They live in a only slightly rural area, but have no broadband access whatsoever. So its either satellite TV or nothing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I put on Colbert as there was a guest on I wanted to see, and I timed the commercials as it seemed insane. In 14 minutes of airtime, there was just under 2 minutes of actual content.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Iirc, a half hour TV show is 21 minutes long, an hour show is 42.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

IuniusBrutus posted:

I have a Roku Premiere+ and the YouTube app is a giant buggy piece of poo poo. This is one of my two primary methods of media consumption so this is unacceptable. Googling indicates that I am not the only one with the issue. Has anyone else had this issue and managed to fix it? If not, am I stuck going to an Apple TV?

The YouTube client on AppleTV sucks. If YouTube is important to you, go with Roku or FireTV.

Edit: I was thinking you said Tivo, not Roku. I've never had problems with the YouTube client on my Roku 3.

CygnusTM fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 5, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CygnusTM posted:

The YouTube client on AppleTV sucks. If YouTube is important to you, go with Roku or FireTV.

Edit: I was thinking you said Tivo, not Roku. I've never had problems with the YouTube client on my Roku 3.

What's so bad about it in your opinion? I use it loads, and while there's a few things I'd change, it's never felt that bad. I used to have a version with extra features that disappeared which was a shame, had the ability to manage playlists and things, not sure what happened there.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

CygnusTM posted:

IIRC, the Youtube "app" on Roku is just a wrapper around youtube.com/tv. And combined with Roku's anemic hardware compared to other platforms, it makes for a craptacular experience.

Its also important to note that the FireTV "app" is also a wrapper for youtube.com/tv, however it seems to be a bit more stable and faster compared to Roku. (well at least it used to be, it's been awhile since I used the FireTV platform)

Out of all the ones I've used, I still say the AndroidTV Youtube client as used on the Shield and other Android TV boxen is the least lovely of all of them. It is the Android YouTube app with the "leanback" interface. Not just a wrapper for a website.

The Youtube For AndroidTV app can also be sideloaded onto the FireTV, but I believe it requires root and all that..

I am a huge Youtube nerd, so I ended up going for all Android TV boxes. 1 Shield and 2 Nexus Players.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
You guys have sold me on DTVNOW. We have a Roku 3 in the bedroom and I'll pick up a premier+ for the living room and cancel cable.

Plex, Amazon, Netflix, DTVN. All set.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

What's so bad about it in your opinion? I use it loads, and while there's a few things I'd change, it's never felt that bad. I used to have a version with extra features that disappeared which was a shame, had the ability to manage playlists and things, not sure what happened there.
The dealbreaker for me is that there is no way to tell it to refresh its lists. On the youtube.com/tv based apps, when you select a page in the menu, it reloads that page. On the AppleTV, sometimes it will reload, but most of the time it doesn't. I use Watch Later a lot. Often, I'll throw something on my WL list on my phone or PC, then go to the TV app to watch it. On AppleTV sometimes it shows me an updated list, but often it doesn't.

stevewm posted:

IIRC, the Youtube "app" on Roku is just a wrapper around youtube.com/tv. And combined with Roku's anemic hardware compared to other platforms, it makes for a craptacular experience.

Its also important to note that the FireTV "app" is also a wrapper for youtube.com/tv, however it seems to be a bit more stable and faster compared to Roku. (well at least it used to be, it's been awhile since I used the FireTV platform)

Out of all the ones I've used, I still say the AndroidTV Youtube client as used on the Shield and other Android TV boxen is the least lovely of all of them. It is the Android YouTube app with the "leanback" interface. Not just a wrapper for a website.

The Youtube For AndroidTV app can also be sideloaded onto the FireTV, but I believe it requires root and all that..

I am a huge Youtube nerd, so I ended up going for all Android TV boxes. 1 Shield and 2 Nexus Players.
Yeah, I knew about the youtube.com/tv thing. Like I said, I have no issues on a Roku 3. I can't speak to older or lesser Rokus.

I remember the leanback mode, but now youtube.com/leanback redirects to youtube.com/tv.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

You guys have sold me on DTVNOW. We have a Roku 3 in the bedroom and I'll pick up a premier+ for the living room and cancel cable.

Plex, Amazon, Netflix, DTVN. All set.

If you sign for 2 months DTV will give you Roku Premiere

https://www.directvnow.com/rokunow

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

FCKGW posted:

If you sign for 2 months DTV will give you Roku Premiere

https://www.directvnow.com/rokunow

Welp, looks like I'll be upgrading the 3 in the bedroom! I need the premier plus for HDR/ethernet in the living room, but this is a sweet bonus and I can give my 3 to mom and dad.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

TheScott2K posted:

For anyone out there waffling on Kodi with whatever backend/frontend combo and getting the EPG somehow vs. plex. Plex is dead easy to setup and use.
I have used TVheadend to NextPVR to trying mythTV (backend/frontend on separate devices) and getting everything to work right was a 12 - 18 hour project each time, and each time always a giant pain.
PlexDVR - worked like a champ and the easiest thing to set up of everything I have tried.

If you are hesitating on the cost of plexpass - at $35/year subscription, it is only $10 more than a year subscription to SchedulesDirect and gets you the same information. The ease of setup is well worth the increased cost.
The DVR works great and has not randomly died on me like NextPVR started doing. PlexDVR also provides suggestions on things you are trying to record, which is actually pretty nice.

My only issue is the limited tuner options - I would like to be able to mix and match the tuner types - but I'll survive in the meantime.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CygnusTM posted:

The dealbreaker for me is that there is no way to tell it to refresh its lists.

Yeah if I was to have listed the little things that bugged me, that would've been high on the list. At least you can double tap Home, close, and relaunch it quickly enough but it shouldn't need that.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Proteus Jones posted:

ShieldTV.

Not sure about an IR Harmony remote, but I know the Harmony Hub connects via BT with no issues. Though I did have to add "Mac PC" profile so I could get a "menu" button since the Nvidia profile only has a "Home" and "Back" function which matches the Shield Remote.

I'm using my shield with an IR remote (logitech 300) and it works really well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Shield depends on which model run you have.

If it's the original, Pro or not Pro, it has an IR receiver.

If it's the latest gen, only the Pro has the IR receiver.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I have the Shield 2017 (no IR) and the harmony bluetooth remotes work great on them. Can't imagine using my setup now without one, honestly.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
drat I just got an email Vue is going up $10 in 3 months.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

nate fisher posted:

drat I just got an email Vue is going up $10 in 3 months.

Is that because you're getting locals, or is that just a general price increase?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

Is that because you're getting locals, or is that just a general price increase?
Looks like just a general price increase. This sucks but not enough to get me to cancel... yet.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It's the elimination of Slim packages. So if you live in an area that had live locals, your price hasn't changed.

I imagine they're consolidating things as they seem to have locked down more and more regional network agreements. It sucks rear end that it appears that people where locals weren't negotiated are going to be stuck with the higher rate.

Even though I'm in an area that has live local networks, this is edging me closer to killing my sub and only activating it during college football season (the multichannel view on the PS4 seriously rocks for sports).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The resemblance to cable is striking

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Vue keeps dropping channels and increasing its price. Makes me edge ever closer to canceling.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So it looks like I'm gonna un-cut the cord :(
3 weeks ago my DSL went weird and now my ping is anywhere from 300-800ms and my D/L is around 3Mbps but will shoot up to 15 Mbps. I've had 2 techs come out multiple times and the last time the dude said "Well we only guarantee UP TO that speed..." because the dude can't figure out what it is. I mean admittedly it sucks to not be able to figure it out right off the bat but to tell me that basically I was hosed was annoying. Dude said he'd be back out yesterday but never showed and told me on the phone today he wasn't gonna come out anymore so...
Windstream up to 24Mbps or Xfinity up to 75 with 10 channels (basically what I get with my OTA antenna) are the same price.

gently caress I hate Comcast. Then again, if it's really 3 times as fast I guess it'll be alright. I'm just not stoked about the 1TB cap.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I assume you have DSL? I had a similar problem, the wires were apparently soaked with water and the whole line had to be replaced. I had to cancel service, it took months after I and a bunch of my neighbors did the same to actually get it fixed.

Semi-related, they just installed AT&T Fiber in my house so I changed all my account and now have Unlimited Plus cell with Fiber 1000 which means I justified that to myself by getting DirecTV Now with HBO for $10 a month. It's OK, I mean I spend 3 days a week here but as far as I can tell the only way to log into HBO is the DirecTV Now app and the show selection seems to be limited, am I missing something?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Three Olives posted:

I assume you have DSL? I had a similar problem, the wires were apparently soaked with water and the whole line had to be replaced. I had to cancel service, it took months after I and a bunch of my neighbors did the same to actually get it fixed.

Semi-related, they just installed AT&T Fiber in my house so I changed all my account and now have Unlimited Plus cell with Fiber 1000 which means I justified that to myself by getting DirecTV Now with HBO for $10 a month. It's OK, I mean I spend 3 days a week here but as far as I can tell the only way to log into HBO is the DirecTV Now app and the show selection seems to be limited, am I missing something?

You should be able to log into HBO GO with your DTVnow credentials.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

gret posted:

Vue keeps dropping channels and increasing its price. Makes me edge ever closer to canceling.

Same here.

I was planning on upping my plan to Core once football season started so I could get RedZone again, but I think I'm gonna seriously consider my options because losing the viacom channels and only getting one local channel is not worth an extra 15 bucks a month for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If you want it soon, probably not through their mailing list because their month-long (I think?) sale ended last Friday. Don’t think they had OTAs on sale, though.

Yes, they did, but only briefly. The TiVo Roamio OTA was on sale over a weekend in late June for $300 (no monthly fees).

I follow TiVo on Facebook and they posted about all the sales.