Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

watching adult swim as a pre-teen or young teen and feeling like you're getting away with something is a millennial nerd rite of passage
I would sometimes stay up to watch Lupin the 3rd and Case Closed.

They aired at like 5 AM though, and because I'm just loving stupid it never occurred to me to just wake up an hour before I usually did at the time to watch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Raxivace posted:

I would sometimes stay up to watch Lupin the 3rd and Case Closed.

They aired at like 5 AM though, and because I'm just loving stupid it never occurred to me to just wake up an hour before I usually did at the time to watch them.

Holy loving poo poo. Are we the same person?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Covok posted:

Holy loving poo poo. Are we the same person?
Possibly. I haven't looked in a mirror lately.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Raxivace posted:

Possibly. I haven't looked in a mirror lately.

Seriously, I wonder how many teenage weaboos lived like that. Pretending to be asleep when your dad gets home from work because you stayed up past 12 to watch Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Inuyasha. Oh, and S-Cry-Ed! Oh, and Tenchi Muyo!

Covok fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 5, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Or they could just skip to after the End of Z and use the potential having Uub and Pan as regular characters would bring.

You know, like GT

Only not stupid.

I think the best route, and maybe even the next thing to happen straight after the current arc, is to skip forward and subtly redo the end of Z a little to work in smaller elements like Beerus and Whis. Also don't have Goku leaving permanently because that really made no sense at all(what was stopping Gohan or Pan or Goten from just flying up to the Lookout, or Goku just instant transmissioning to Chichi for dinner? Argh!), just have him taking a more backseat role in events with him more focused on training all of the younger fighters and not just Uub. Start to work Goten and Trunks back into the show into a more serious way and have Bulla and Pan be cool new characters.

I mean the show feels super overdue for a time skip, we've all made fun of Goten and Trunks being 10 years old for like a decade now, but also they've introduced both Pan and Bulla and, for Pan especially, it seems like they have big plans for her future that means she can't be a cute baby for ever. Not to mention the increasingly overt hinting of bringing Uub into proceedings.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Do they really need to modify much besides Goku leaving? I mean, Beerus and Whis could have just not been visiting that day.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Neko Majin Z confirmed Goku visted his family and vice versa.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Do they really need to modify much besides Goku leaving? I mean, Beerus and Whis could have just not been visiting that day.

I guess not but I feel like they are always around at any non-important event eating away and looking at the end of Z I can just imagine them somewhere in the stands fighting over a hotdog.

Covok posted:

Neko Majin Z confirmed Goku visted his family and vice versa.

Oh, I guess that's fine then.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

khwarezm posted:

I guess not but I feel like they are always around at any non-important event eating away and looking at the end of Z I can just imagine them somewhere in the stands fighting over a hotdog.

Oh, I guess that's fine then.

You fool, earth food is the only thing keeping our planet alive.

Exposing Beerus to stadium food would make him hate us forever. One rancid stadium hot dog or stale pretzel and he destroys everything.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Beerus and Whis are always on earth post ToP because after the multiverse gets compressed into one universe, Beerus is made middle manager of what used to be U7

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Holy gently caress this rules.

Only minor problem again is Lavenda at the end being in 2 places at the same time but maybe it will turn out to be a doppelganger after all.

Or just animation woops.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 5, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

TFRazorsaw posted:

Exposing Beerus to stadium food would make him hate us forever. One rancid stadium hot dog or stale pretzel and he destroys everything.

Dude thinks cup ramen is a good enough representative for our universe's food in his and Champa's eternal rivlary slapfight.

He'd love the poo poo out of stale popcorn.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I'm thinking the way the tournament is going to go, is that Goku will keep trying to get a fight with Jiren, but constantly being distracted or dragged into another battle. Eventually, near the very end, they'll have their own battle, and the shockwaves of power from them will start to drive everyone else off the platform. It starts to come down to everyone in the stands watching these final two warriors fight, everyone amazed at the poo poo they're pulling out. In the end, regardless of which one wins, the Zen-Os will love it so much that they'll declare that they need to have one of these every (time frame here), and the Grand Priest will be like "but that can only happen if we don't erase them" and the Zen-Os will be like "oh, ok!", and that'll have been the Grand Priest's plan all along.

Thus it will turn out that Goku pushing for the tournament actually saved everyone and he's the biggest hero ever.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Dude thinks cup ramen is a good enough representative for our universe's food in his and Champa's eternal rivlary slapfight.

He'd love the poo poo out of stale popcorn.

To think me cooking eggs, bacon, and pancakes could win a god's favor.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it'd be cool if this tournament got rid of Goku so we can focus on the next generation

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Isn't Japanese cup ramen supposed to be significantly better than the like we get here?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Isn't Japanese cup ramen supposed to be significantly better than the like we get here?
It's certainly fancier but I wouldn't call it "better."

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Kurui Reiten posted:

I'm thinking the way the tournament is going to go, is that Goku will keep trying to get a fight with Jiren, but constantly being distracted or dragged into another battle. Eventually, near the very end, they'll have their own battle, and the shockwaves of power from them will start to drive everyone else off the platform. It starts to come down to everyone in the stands watching these final two warriors fight, everyone amazed at the poo poo they're pulling out. In the end, regardless of which one wins, the Zen-Os will love it so much that they'll declare that they need to have one of these every (time frame here), and the Grand Priest will be like "but that can only happen if we don't erase them" and the Zen-Os will be like "oh, ok!", and that'll have been the Grand Priest's plan all along.

Thus it will turn out that Goku pushing for the tournament actually saved everyone and he's the biggest hero ever.

I'd be down with this with the Grand Priest just being a dad that wanted to motivate his goddamn kids by pretending he'd throw their poo poo out if they didn't pull it together.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Well yeah, it's better but that's not saying much.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it'd be cool if this tournament got rid of Goku so we can focus on the next generation

no

Covok
May 27, 2013

Goku is a cool and good character. :colbert:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

TFRazorsaw posted:

Beerus was marking out over instant ramen, he'd probably have no problem with lovely stadium hot dogs.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

Beerus was marking out over instant ramen, he'd probably have no problem with lovely stadium hot dogs.

The dude would likely slurp down the dirty water they cook it in and call the chef a gourmet.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

Goku is a cool and good character. :colbert:
I agree

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That scene in the first episode with the alien food very well implies he has some discerning taste.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

That scene in the first episode with the alien food very well implies he has some discerning taste.

It seems to imply not that Earth food is particularly good but that food everywhere else is just that bad.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It seems to imply not that Earth food is particularly good but that food everywhere else is just that bad.

That's how I always took it. It's basically going that mankind's greatest contribution to the multiverse is being the most amazing chefs by virtue of everyone else being utterly atrocious.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Covok posted:

That's how I always took it. It's basically going that mankind's greatest contribution to the multiverse is being the most amazing chefs by virtue of everyone else being utterly atrocious.

Since "everyone else" is just 28 more planets and the people of one of them don't eat food, the achivement of having the best food in the universe isn't as impressive as the title makes it sound

Covok
May 27, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

Since "everyone else" is just 28 more planets and the people of one of them don't eat food, the achivement of having the best food in the universe isn't as impressive as the title makes it sound

It was also impressive to Champa, remember? Meaning DBZ humans have the best food in two universes.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I hope once the ToP arc is over we get a Tournament of Cooking filler mini arc to settle this argument while we wait for the next arc

Frieza is invited

Beerus as Gordon Ramsay

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 5, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Monaghan posted:

SAO abridged is amazing since it turns a lovely show into a great one. It fills in plot holes and actually has character development!

I assume y'all were raving about the one by something Witty entertainment. That's what came up when I search and it got 7 million views, but these series always start off rough so it's hard to tell from one episode.

lezard_valeth posted:

I hope once the ToP arc is over we get a Tournament of Cooking filler mini arc to settle this argument while we wait for the next arc

If DBS rips off the bakery competition arc from Wakfu as an inter-universe tournament, DBS may become the greatest anime ever.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Covok posted:

It was also impressive to Champa, remember? Meaning DBZ humans have the best food in two universes.

Yeah but mortal-wise Universe 6 is barely better.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The Tournament of Flavor, where 10 restaurants from each universe compete in a buffet royale. Featuring a wacky subplot where we find out that the Zeno twins don't know what food is

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Kelp Plankton posted:

The Tournament of Flavor, where 10 restaurants from each universe compete in a buffet royale. Featuring a wacky subplot where we find out that the Zeno twins don't know what food is

Nani kore? Kekkon desu ka?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

I assume y'all were raving about the one by something Witty entertainment. That's what came up when I search and it got 7 million views, but these series always start off rough so it's hard to tell from one episode.

That'd be the one. It's a bit rough at the start, like you said, but it goes through a bit of a revolution at episode 4 and after that it just keeps running.

Though episode 3 is also a giant favorite of mine for giving Kirito ANY KIND OF LASTING CHARACTER ARC

Covok
May 27, 2013

Burkion posted:

That'd be the one. It's a bit rough at the start, like you said, but it goes through a bit of a revolution at episode 4 and after that it just keeps running.

Though episode 3 is also a giant favorite of mine for giving Kirito ANY KIND OF LASTING CHARACTER ARC

I actually just finished that one, but it seems like it was immediately negated.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

I actually just finished that one, but it seems like it was immediately negated.

Aahahahahah

stick around don't you worry

unlike the actual anime

Covok
May 27, 2013

Burkion posted:

Aahahahahah

stick around don't you worry

unlike the actual anime

Alright, I just finished it. Got the vibe that guild dying off was filler, but the abridged tried to make it, and all the other filler (like Yuei and the ghost), part of the overall narrative. I thought that was a nice touch. The main character was loving unlikable as poo poo, but they managed to make him work by the end. Hell, the love story even kind of worked, despite it being about two thoroughly unlikable people. Jokes were on-point. Editing on the mouths...could have been better, especially in side-shots. I liked how they redid the "big reveal" as I heard it was hyper lovely in the actual series.

Overall, pretty drat good. I really enjoyed it and felt like I was watching a "legit" thing by the end and not a parody. Would watch again.

Anyway, Dragonball.

Edit: Actually, I want to amend something. The pair starts out really unlikable (but funny), but, by the end, you do kind of like them. They do grow a lot from two shits into almost halfway decent people.

Covok fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 5, 2017

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I feel like people overstate how good that abridged series is, because it's kinda informed by knowledge of how bad the source material gets later on.

SAO, as a show starts with a pretty strong first half season, but it made the mistake of going on and then become really bad, but people couldn't stop watching because they are nerds who can't quit when they know something isn't good for them, so they develop some serious resentment instead.

I harbor no love for SAO, but no resentment either. It kickstarted a new generation of MMO animes, most of which have been fantastic (log horizon, overlord and konosuba especially) when all we had before was .hack.

And that was truly terrible.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

I feel like people overstate how good that abridged series is, because it's kinda informed by knowledge of how bad the source material gets later on.

SAO, as a show starts with a pretty strong first half season, but it made the mistake of going on and then become really bad, but people couldn't stop watching because they are nerds who can't quit when they know something isn't good for them, so they develop some serious resentment instead.

I harbor no love for SAO, but no resentment either. It kickstarted a new generation of MMO animes, most of which have been fantastic (log horizon, overlord and konosuba especially) when all we had before was .hack.

And that was truly terrible.

Never seen SAO. I was just saying that, especially for an series made by some youtubers, I thought it was pretty good and I found it entertaining. It wouldn't win an award or something, but I was entertained and that's all I ask for.

As for, why continue? I never saw SAO, but I know it was a big thing when it launched. If almost every new series is ripping off a key aspect of your series (in this case, being set in a MMO), then you must be popular. It can be HARD to stop a gravy train when it's rolling.

For a prime example and to get back on topic, look at Dragonball. A lot of people like to say that it would end at Freeza, but that's only partially true. Dragonball was originally meant to be a miniseries and end with Pilaf. But, due to the popularity and Toriyama's interest, he continued it. Continually, he'd end story arcs hinting that this might be the last issue. At some point, it almost certainly became a joke for both him and the viewer. Hell, there are anecdotes that suggest many didn't believe the series was actually over when it ended because of this running joke. However, I do think that, originally, it was serious since, once again, it was never meant to last more than 8 issues.

Toriyama kept with it because it was popular. While I'm sure he must have liked working on it somewhat since, otherwise, he would have ended everything sooner, the popularity and its benefits made him and the company continue it. It can be hard to end your meal ticket when, you know, you still need to eat. I can only imagine how many attempts are made to talk down authors from ending successful series in the industry since the company fears losing customers.

What I'm saying is, it was a mistake for SAO to keep going, apparently, but I'm not surprised. When you're that successful and influential, it is easy to want to leverage that. It's not like being an author is associated with high or even just steady paychecks. You're never guaranteed a second (or even a first) hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad you discovered enjoyment in it, it's not that. I just think that not everybody would give it the fair shake you did.

And yes SAO is still pretty popular despite doing some things really poorly, and it honestly isn't the worst out there.

As for theme of being set in an MMO that's just kinda the times man. These coincidences are all over the place, look at the current onslaught of isekai light novels.

A long while ago it was alchemy(buso renkin and full metal alchemist), magical girls, ninjas, death gods... All seemingly written around the same time. You'd think they were drawing lotteries for what kind of stories to write.

• Locked thread