Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

https://twitter.com/martin_anward/status/882247509690785793

Oh hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

All the other changes to robots from Wiz's feed are really cool too - combined, they could make it possible for a spiritual empire with retarded synths to generate an AI crisis through their mistreatment. It removes the issue whereby a materialist empire, which should love robots, would need to actively gimp itself by putting them in shackles to generate the crisis.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I'm glad as a spiritualist you can run with robot slaves after the update. Always annoyed me that you couldn't have regular robots with no intelligence whatsoever.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Could y'all please help me figure out what is and isn't diplomatically possible in my single-player situation? Here are the relevant empires:

- Holy Terapyne Assembly, whom I'm playing. Egalitarian/Spiritualist/Xenophile turtles, members of the Sphere of Thunder
- Free Systems of Nawamezh. Pacifist/Materialist/Xenophile fungal towers, leaders of the Sphere of Thunder
- Phom. Fanatic Materialist/Xenophile flowers, members of the Sphere of Thunder
- Hateno Dominion. Fanatic Militarist/Xenophile elves, associates of the Sphere of Thunder

- Iztran Consumer Products. Fanatic Materialist/Authoritarian ibises, in a three-way defensive pact
- Klu'uk Foundation. Fanatic Pacifist/Xenophobe chickens, in a three-way defensive pact
- Enlightened Ghirisian State. Authoritarian/Spiritualist/Pacifist monkey-sphinxes, in a three-way defensive pact

ICP just declared war on the Hateno Dominion. Since they're only associates in the Sphere of Thunder and none of us have defensive pacts with them, right now the war is just one-on-one. I'd love to help the Hateno out, but is there any way to do that without getting the Klu'uk Foundation and the Enlightened Ghirisian State to also declare war on me? If so, will the rest of the Sphere of Thunder come to our aid, or will that only happen if I have defensive pacts / if I get a unanimous vote of war from the Sphere? I'm more than happy to go to war with the Klu'uk, having already kicked their asses once and generally despising them, but I'm hoping to maintain at least somewhat-positive relations with the Ghirii as long as I can

EDIT: On a related note, is there any way to convince the Enlightened Ghirisian State to abandon their defensive pact with the other two empires? They're both hateful slavers that the Sphere of Thunder will be happy to unanimously declare war on, but I'm more than happy to veto any declarations of war against the Ghirii if it comes to that

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 4, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

This new game sure bit me on the rear end; playing Idyllic Agrarians, ground out my first Ascension perk super fast, picked Mastery of Nature because of course, and beyond the two guaranteed nearby planets, I have found exactly 5 planets of my habitable class on my quarter of the galaxy. Really, really wish there was a way to swap it for World Shaper.

Jenny Angel posted:

[I]s there any way to do that without getting the Klu'uk Foundation and the Enlightened Ghirisian State to also declare war on me?

No. You cannot join a war in progress, so the only way to get involved is to declare war on the ICP yourself, which will obviously bring in their defensive pact allies. You could just throw a ton of minerals at them and hope for the best, but Stellaris wars are so one sided it likely won't make a difference unless they're very evenly matched already.

quote:

If so, will the rest of the Sphere of Thunder come to our aid, or will that only happen if I have defensive pacts / if I get a unanimous vote of war from the Sphere?

As above, the only way to intervene will require your whole federation to come along.

quote:

EDIT: On a related note, is there any way to convince the Enlightened Ghirisian State to abandon their defensive pact with the other two empires?

Nope. Even if they only formed it because you rivalled them both (which of course is unlikely to be the case in this instance), they likely still wouldn't drop it if you unrivalled them.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 4, 2017

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

So put down a Frontier Outpost to claim dibs on them and colonize the planets with the most space, you can always backfill and colonize the remaining planets after the others are built up and placed into a sector.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PittTheElder posted:

This new game sure bit me on the rear end; playing Idyllic Agrarians, ground out my first Ascension perk super fast, picked Mastery of Nature because of course, and beyond the two guaranteed nearby planets, I have found exactly 5 planets of my habitable class on my quarter of the galaxy. Really, really wish there was a way to swap it for World Shaper.

No. You cannot join a war in progress, so the only way to get involved is to declare war on the ICP yourself, which will obviously bring in their defensive pact allies. You could just throw a ton of minerals at them and hope for the best, but Stellaris wars are so one sided it likely won't make a difference unless they're very evenly matched already.

As above, the only way to intervene will require your whole federation to come along.

Nope. Even if they only formed it because you rivalled them both (which of course is unlikely to be the case in this instance), they likely still wouldn't drop it if you unrivalled them.

This is why I take world shaper first

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you for the info! Is there any way to see what the war demands of a war between NPCs are? If ICP are demanding something minor, I might just let this whole thing pass

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

It used to be before, then they turned it off, now it's on again.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jenny Angel posted:

Thank you for the info! Is there any way to see what the war demands of a war between NPCs are?

Nope.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Stuff like Assimilation and the Utopia expansion are why I was so excited for Stellaris, even when the original product was a little bare. Paradox knows the exact type of sci-fi poo poo I want in this game.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

For now, no. It's something we're working on though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Chexoid posted:

Stuff like Assimilation and the Utopia expansion are why I was so excited for Stellaris, even when the original product was a little bare. Paradox knows the exact type of sci-fi poo poo I want in this game.

Can't wait for the Alien loving DLC

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I also hope for more megastructers or something equivalent but assimilation has been my #1v desire since i got this game

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Been wanting to play round with Devouring Swarms and Hive Minds now that I've got the hang of the game so looking forward to the new patch.

Wow though, just saw Wiz's tweet about it and they've hammered Inward Perfection into the ground. Understand it needed reworking since it was pretty cheesy (my first games have been mass early private colony ship spam), and it offers a different way to play, but Beacon of Liberty just seems so much better than it now.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Just out of curiosity, which traditions do most people pick? I usually start with Expansion for the half priced frontier outposts and +2 core size, then Supremacy for the larger border range and military bonuses for the inevitable war of conquest I started, then Harmony to try and keep the group of pissed off aliens I just conquered under control. I hear people talk about prosperity for the private colony ships but I've never seen the benefit. Early on I normally have way more minerals than I do energy, so paying for a colony ship with energy doesn't sound like a bargain at all.

Diplomacy is a waste for me since I'm usually pretty warlike, Discovery tends to skew survey bonuses over research bonuses which isn't as useful, and Prosperity has some nice economic bonuses but by the time I'd get around to selecting prosperity it'd amount to a rounding error for my empire.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Wow though, just saw Wiz's tweet about it and they've hammered Inward Perfection into the ground. Understand it needed reworking since it was pretty cheesy (my first games have been mass early private colony ship spam), and it offers a different way to play, but Beacon of Liberty just seems so much better than it now.

You're kidding right? Like the unity drop hurts, but +33% growth speed is more than worth it and the diplomacy changes aren't that far from what you're going to be pressured into doing as a pacifist xenophobe anyways. The little happiness bonus is just a nice extra, especially with the upcoming habitability changes.

Beacon of Liberty is better for a civ looking for early wars, but Inward Perfection is now even more strongly the civic you grab to juice your early game. I mean, just that growth bonus is more than twice rapid breeders, that's more than I think any other civic which touches on something a genetic trait does.

GamingHyena posted:

I hear people talk about prosperity for the private colony ships but I've never seen the benefit. Early on I normally have way more minerals than I do energy, so paying for a colony ship with energy doesn't sound like a bargain at all.

It's half the cost of a normal colony ship in energy credits, plus now you have all those spare minerals for other things like a bigger early game army or better developed planets, or another colony ship if you really want to push them out like that. I didn't think much of it either until I tried it but it is really good.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I also hope for more megastructers or something equivalent but assimilation has been my #1v desire since i got this game

Yeah the lack of assimilation was really an issue with the Utopia update - having a synthetic ascension based empire had this weird behaviour where anyone that was in your empire at the moment you triggered it would be converted into a synth, but anyone that joined your empire later could never become a synth and that just didn't seem like it made any sense - why was the technology a one-shot thing?

I like that it's a citizenship option though, so you can still have an open xenophilic synth empire without converting all your pops to robots if you like, want them to have individual rights or whatever (you know, hippie poo poo). Or if you have a specific warrior caste race or something (since I think strong/very strong aliens make more effective armies than synths), you can leave them untouched.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Improbable Lobster posted:

Can't wait for the Alien loving DLC

Allowing crossbreed pops between the same type would be cool.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

TGLT posted:

You're kidding right? Like the unity drop hurts, but +33% growth speed is more than worth it and the diplomacy changes aren't that far from what you're going to be pressured into doing as a pacifist xenophobe anyways. The little happiness bonus is just a nice extra, especially with the upcoming habitability changes.

I don't really value growth as much as I need to it seems, I mean I always think it's nice to have, but I'm not rating it as a top priority for my Empire. Also what's the new habitability changes?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

I don't really value growth as much as I need to it seems, I mean I always think it's nice to have, but I'm not rating it as a top priority for my Empire. Also what's the new habitability changes?

Higher growth speed means getting your planets up to speed faster and less time building robots. It's very useful when you're colonizing.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Here's the dev dairy link. You'll be able to colonize planets that only have 20% habitability and, instead of a hard cap to happiness, habitability now only reduces happiness by 2.5% per 10 points below 100. So 5% isn't a whole lot, but it's still like having an extra communal there. Grab communal or the harmony tree and you're at least not suffering a production penalty on low habitability planets.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Blorg FE woke up and started making GBS threads on everyone :ohdear:

They're currently clusterfucking a federation that kicked me out a while ago. While it's all fine and dandy and I enjoy watching their fleets crumble, Blorgs take over literally half the galaxy if they conquer that federation. Guess I should do something, and of course Blorgs are exactly on the other side edge of the galaxy from my position. Getting my fleet to them is like navigating a minefield of closed borders and monkeys flinging poo poo at them.

e: Guess that federation shouldn't have kicked out the guy with over two thirds of the federations fleet :smuggest possible emoji:

Fewd fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 5, 2017

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
On reddit, Wiz has confirmed that missiles will retarget in 1.8. HYPE

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Missiles being an option again would be pretty great.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

Good news for my old empire of mushroom men. I picked missiles because they were like spores!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Aethernet posted:

Aw, yiss.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Aethernet posted:

Oh poo poo this would actually be a big deal.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This is the thread btw: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/6l8ygk/an_absurd_thought_that_might_workfor_missiles/djs4gol/

He also says that flak will occupy PD slots in 1.8. Not sure how/whether they will be balanced against basic PD. Maybe PD is anti-missile and flak is ant-strike craft.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Would it be very difficult for the devs to patch in combat width soon instead of the fabled ground combat update?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 5, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Do we have any idea when 1.8 will pop up?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

GamingHyena posted:

Just out of curiosity, which traditions do most people pick? I usually start with Expansion for the half priced frontier outposts and +2 core size, then Supremacy for the larger border range and military bonuses for the inevitable war of conquest I started, then Harmony to try and keep the group of pissed off aliens I just conquered under control. I hear people talk about prosperity for the private colony ships but I've never seen the benefit. Early on I normally have way more minerals than I do energy, so paying for a colony ship with energy doesn't sound like a bargain at all.

Diplomacy is a waste for me since I'm usually pretty warlike, Discovery tends to skew survey bonuses over research bonuses which isn't as useful, and Prosperity has some nice economic bonuses but by the time I'd get around to selecting prosperity it'd amount to a rounding error for my empire.

It would be cool if the game had more tradition trees. I'm sure the thread has chewed this over a bunch already, but too many of them are either very situational or generally kinda meh. Diplomacy is useless if you don't plan to make a federation and Domination is useless if you don't want to vassalize.

I think they said somewhere that it's gonna be a while.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Like if couple traditions had multiple levels so you could really specialize?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bold Robot posted:

It would be cool if the game had more tradition trees. I'm sure the thread has chewed this over a bunch already, but too many of them are either very situational or generally kinda meh. Diplomacy is useless if you don't plan to make a federation and Domination is useless if you don't want to vassalize.

I think they said somewhere that it's gonna be a while.

Just grab the mod that combines two additional tradition mods and enjoy having like 50.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Wiz didn't give an exact time frame dor 1.8 but I strongly suspect it will be late fall; he mentioned a desire to avoid another 1.7 fiasco and there is also an unannounced expansion that will apparently be dropping at the same time.

The office also goes on their summer vacation around now so progress and updates will slow considerably. I think tomorrow's diary is the last one. Maybe they'll tease everyone before leaving.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Shugojin posted:

Like if couple traditions had multiple levels so you could really specialize?

I think giving traditions a stronger focus on specializing, plus making it so grabbing one tree blocks another, would be a good idea. Right now you have the two tradition trees that are just so universally useful that there's no reason not to take them, Prosperity and Expansion, two that are generally alright, Supremacy and Harmony, and the others are just super situational.

Conflicting, larger tradition trees, with some sort of reconfigured way of earning ascension perks, would be a real good idea I think. Or maybe just all traditions should have strong general benefit perks at the start and situation specific specialization perks at the end.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Not any time soon since they take most of July off.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

1. Any good ideas of first (non-tutorial) LPs to watch and learn?
2. What gameplay specs do you guys run on?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

So, in my current game, one of the species in my federation has this on their doorstep:

On the galaxy map, it's described as 'machine consciousness', and doesn't appear to do anything other than sit there. Nothing else in game has made any reference to it. Were I not doing the xenophile/pacifist thing this run, I'd take a crack at invading it.

I'm just wondering if this is part of the vanilla game, or it's something weird from the 'more events' mod I have installed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Could be, but it looks like that's the AI rebellion crisis at work there. It's the weakest of the three endgame crisis events in terms of content and it also breaks a lot. If you aren't using robotics or synths at all it's unlikely to affect you, and in the same vein, if you do have synths but guaranteed them freedom and citizenship then it's also unlikely to do much to you for the moment. More than likely some dumbass NPC race created it, but it got hemmed in and never had a chance to expand.

EDIT: That said, I just noticed your fleet strength, so unless you just got your rear end kicked it's waaay to early for that to spawn, so yeah it's probably your mod.

• Locked thread