Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

What, have you not been in the wheelwell of a BUFF? (to be honest, my time under one was with the engines off, but it was on the active apron.)

Right around the time the Soviet Union fell, my Boy Scout Troop had a field trip.

I'm the short guy in the ballcap (literally). IIRC the woman walking away was the pilot of that crew and had some kind of leaves on her collar, and for whatever reason didn't want to be in the photo. The guys obviously were having fun. I think they knew they were the stereotypical action-movie crew -- fat guy, old guy, Ron Livingston, black guy, hot blond guy, and Queen Bitch who turns out to have a heart of gold at the end of the movie. :v:

One of those guys may be our favorite blogger Major Kong, he was flying out of Barksdale at the time. (the airframe, sadly, was a G-model, and went to the guillotine a few years after this photo was taken, but after it participated in Desert Storm.)

Edit: loving Christ on a stick, two new pages with me at the top, I'm so sorry.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Delivery McGee posted:

One of those guys may be our favorite blogger Major Kong, he was flying out of Barksdale at the time. (the airframe, sadly, was a G-model, and went to the guillotine a few years after this photo was taken, but after it participated in Desert Storm.)

This is Major Kong circa 1996 during his tanker days:

Dude on the end might be him.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Huh, apparently I asked him about it three years ago, just found how to see PMs on Dailykos:

Major Kong posted:

That's not me but those guys look really familiar. We had two bomber squadrons back then and they might have been in the other squadron.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Trying to figure out why, but here's a reference to the plane itself: http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19730727-1
Hold on, the FAA's 727 was in a mid-air collision? They had regular accidents until 1993, did they get better or just give up on flying their own planes?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Uh why did the FAA buy a 727 direct from boeing?

I imagine the FAA needs to have their own planes so they can fly around and inspect the country's aviation infrastructure. Make sure that the VORs and NDBs are doing what they're supposed to, test ILS systems, etc.

I could be wrong but it makes sense to me that they'd do that sort of thing.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I've seen a couple of the FAA's Learjets, they usually use a "Flight Check" call sign.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Delivery McGee posted:

What, have you not been in the wheelwell of a BUFF? (to be honest, my time under one was with the engines off, but it was on the active apron.)

WHAAAT???!!!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Pinning the landing gear/connecting the tow bar?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I imagine the FAA needs to have their own planes so they can fly around and inspect the country's aviation infrastructure. Make sure that the VORs and NDBs are doing what they're supposed to, test ILS systems, etc.

I could be wrong but it makes sense to me that they'd do that sort of thing.

Right but they have used aircraft for that, not new ones off the line.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If they were buying a 727 brand new, it was probably because they needed a jet airliner to test with for whatever reason and there literally weren't any used jet airliners available yet.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Phonetic alphabet you say?

M as in Mancy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4jxLxZrMfs

Bonus B-17 bombardier seat footage: https://streamable.com/1jctt

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

I was trying to make an old timey joke about going deaf :saddowns:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

WHAT????

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

I couldn't even hear the whoosh of it going over my head.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm pretty sure I've made that joke twice this week and I still missed it. :downs:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I was on board. I liked it.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
The best part about going deaf is the realization that about 70% of the words that come out of people's mouths are completely unimportant.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dannywilson posted:

The best part about going deaf is the realization that about 100% of the words that come out of people's mouths are completely unimportant.

FTFY.

If they can't be arsed to put it in writing or engage in obscene pantomime to get their point across then chances are it wasn't worth paying attention to.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Man, I get why but it's a shame (for me) that the Delta 737-200 sim costs >US$10/minute - more if you only count flight time. I also get that the museum either runs it break-even, or to help the whole museum break even (I'm unclear which) so it's still a good deal.

But it made me want to ask a couple of questions.

I seem to recall hearing that sims have different classes or gradings, and that some count as loggable hours.

First is that true?
If so, if I turned up as a nobody, would my 30min "flight" be loggable?
Where or when is someone entitled to a "proper" logbook?
Would a proper pilot be able to log hours, like is it a type rating thing and Johnny Dipshit doesn't qualify for loggable time because every minute was probably spent crashing?

I just realised that my knowledge goes as far as knowing log books and hours are a thing, but not further.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

You know how the British have that island in the south Atlantic with the expensive disaster of an airport?

Well...now they have an island with *no* airport.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40442318

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Nebakenezzer posted:

You know how the British have that island in the south Atlantic with the expensive disaster of an airport?

So the runway can't handle an A330 Voyager, but C-17s are fine? I don't see any massive differences between the specs of the two. What am I missing?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

So the runway can't handle an A330 Voyager, but C-17s are fine? I don't see any massive differences between the specs of the two. What am I missing?

The problem with the runway is potholes that need repairs.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Nebakenezzer posted:

The expensive disaster of an airport was on St. Helena, not Acension. This is a different isolated South Atlantic rock pile whose airport has a different issue :eng101:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

The expensive disaster of an airport was on St. Helena, not Acension. This is a different isolated South Atlantic rock pile whose airport has a different issue :eng101:

My brain was breaking at first when it said the runway was an alternate landing spot for the space shuttle, and I couldn't even begin to imagine that was correct, given St. Helena's airport story before I realized they were talking about a different island.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sorry, I wasn't clear I was talking about a *different* south Atlantic British Island. Considering the money spent on St. Helaina, I figured the UK government giving up because some repair work needs to be done was pretty funny.

I'm also guessing this is an island they'd like to be military-only.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

mlmp08 posted:

The problem with the runway is potholes that need repairs.
So why is that not an issue with the C-17? The article states they make monthly trips.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I watched a travel show where two Canuck doofuses visit Ascension and it looked pretty awesome tbh.

They flew in on a RAF 747 iirc.

E: Departures is the show, s1 ep5

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

So why is that not an issue with the C-17? The article states they make monthly trips.

It may well be that C-17s can stop and takeoff on a damned dime.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

david_a posted:

C-17s can comfortably land on unimproved dirt strips carved out of the jungle or whatever. That's kindof the whole point of a C-17.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
https://youtu.be/nkuqsd_tRHw

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

You gotta add the accompanying departure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=805M1svwp_8

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

simplefish posted:

Where or when is someone entitled to a "proper" logbook?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/1560273305/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Smash go on this bad boy, then write your name in it. As to whether hours in a 737 sim in a museum count, I don't know.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
You can log whatever you like, it's just anyone's guess as to whether it will count toward requirements for ratings or privileges.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

is it really so hard to believe a runway can be too rough for airliners but still ok for military tactical transport aircraft

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Godholio posted:

Pinning the landing gear/connecting the tow bar?
No, it was the pictured Boy Scout outing just after the fall of the USSR. I had the run of the underside of Better Duck II out where you can see the oil stains on Google Maps. Even then, I had to duck to get into the belly of the beast, as it were.

glynnenstein posted:

You gotta add the accompanying departure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=805M1svwp_8

Cargo planes, especially tactical airlifters, with no cargo (or airliners with no passengers) and just enough fuel to make it to a real strip have better thrust:weight than fighter jets. Sadly they also have a much lower "wings fall off" speed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

is it really so hard to believe a runway can be too rough for airliners but still ok for military tactical transport aircraft

Or insufficient for weak Airbuses but okay for stronk Russian plane! :v:

Up to and including the Il-62, I believe all their airliners were capable of operating from unpaved airstrips. Of course more than a few 727s and 737s are too.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

PT6A posted:

Of course more than a few 727s and 737s are too.
There was a gravel kit for the early 737s to keep the tires from kicking poo poo up into the engines, I think the 727 just dgaf with its high-mounted engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Delivery McGee posted:

No, it was the pictured Boy Scout outing just after the fall of the USSR. I had the run of the underside of Better Duck II out where you can see the oil stains on Google Maps. Even then, I had to duck to get into the belly of the beast, as it were.

Cargo planes, especially tactical airlifters, with no cargo (or airliners with no passengers) and just enough fuel to make it to a real strip have better thrust:weight than fighter jets. Sadly they also have a much lower "wings fall off" speed.

I'd love to hear the cockpit voice recorders of when that C17 touched down and realized they weren't landing at an air force base.