Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Bring back Dark Millennium psyker powers imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So I have a philosophical question for you guys. I put together a list that I thought was both fluffy and pretty powerful, and at least based on the four games that I've played it's decidedly un-fun for my opponent:

2x Warboss Bikers w/ Klaws
1x Weirdboy w/ Da Jump

3x 20 Slugga Boyz w/ PK Nob
1x 30 Shoota Boyz w/ PK Nob & 3 Big Shootas

3x Battlewagons w/ Big Shoota, Deff Rolla, 'Ard Case

The problem is that they get in my opponent's face at turn 2 at the latest, and often turn 1 with the 30 boyz teleporting in. Anything designed to shoot tends to get locked up in close combat, and then by turn 2 the battlewagons hit and start to really mess things up. While it's not as obviously gimmicky as a flyer spam or that razorwing flock army, it's been pretty rough on my friends. So I'm curious; what's your philosophy regarding lists like this? Is it not casual enough? Would I be better off trying something else (I did buy a bunch of Primaris) and then holding off on the Orks?

It's not like my opponents are rude about it or anything. We're all learning the game and just want to have fun. But it's clear they're not enjoying themselves and I'd rather they did.

So what's your philosophy on stuff like this?

So I'm the guy who had no fun against this list. Beer4TheBeerGod is a super nice dude and I, for one, am totally ok with him taking this list. I played with what I wanted to play with and so did he. Some things:

1. Will I play this list again? Yes, though I'll specifically tailor to it. I feel a scout sentinel screen could have stopped his 30 ork shoota boyz in their tracks and given me more breathing room. I also feel my deployment could have been smarter.

2. I'm re-learning how to play IG in 40k. I wasn't particularly good at it in 7th, and, big surprise, I'm not good at it in 8th so far, either. I also don't have the best units available to IG. You can bet your butt that I'll get them, but I prefer to play with fully-painted models only, and it will be a long time before I can get them done.

3. I definitely look forward to playing with Beer4TheBeerGod again. He let me borrow one of those child gate things so I can more easily integrate MY GIRLFRIEND's cat and my cats without them killing each other. He's a true broski.

Everyone go listen to my loving podcast.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I used to have so many powers to choose from, so many psyker schools, all the cool poo poo like Geomortis that included powers that would let me levitate loving buildings across the battlefield and while that probably didn't have much of an in-game use it was cool as all gently caress

What the piss christ is the Dark Hereticus "discipline" supposed to be? Three loving bland as poo poo powers that are completely overshadowed by what the Space Marines got, just as loving expected? Is there a reason I would want to pick Infernal Gaze over the generic Smite power every single psyker gets? Warptime gives a unit a free movement phase, big loving deal because movement doesn't mean poo poo once you're in combat and the loyalist marines get a power that gives them +1 S/T/A for an entire phase. Prescience was just ripped off the Eldar and while the only really useful of the three powers it doesn't feel cool at all and is just a generic +1 to-hit you're gonna get from having a Chaos Lord nearby anyway

I used to be able to move loving mountains man, I used to be able to fry every single unit surrounding me and take out entire hordes, I used to be able to just point at an enemy vehicle and have shards explode off it that slam into nearby enemies

What the gently caress happened to you, Chaos

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

JBP posted:

Bring back Dark Millennium psyker powers imo.

I'm down with this, I still have my old cards

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

goose willis posted:

I used to have so many powers to choose from, so many psyker schools, all the cool poo poo like Geomortis that included powers that would let me levitate loving buildings across the battlefield and while that probably didn't have much of an in-game use it was cool as all gently caress

What the piss christ is the Dark Hereticus "discipline" supposed to be? Three loving bland as poo poo powers that are completely overshadowed by what the Space Marines got, just as loving expected? Is there a reason I would want to pick Infernal Gaze over the generic Smite power every single psyker gets? Warptime gives a unit a free movement phase, big loving deal because movement doesn't mean poo poo once you're in combat and the loyalist marines get a power that gives them +1 S/T/A for an entire phase. Prescience was just ripped off the Eldar and while the only really useful of the three powers it doesn't feel cool at all and is just a generic +1 to-hit you're gonna get from having a Chaos Lord nearby anyway

I used to be able to move loving mountains man, I used to be able to fry every single unit surrounding me and take out entire hordes, I used to be able to just point at an enemy vehicle and have shards explode off it that slam into nearby enemies

The +1 S/T/A power only affects a single model.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

goose willis posted:

Yeah I refuse to play Chaos until the codex comes out, the psker powers in 8th for chaos are a complete joke. Tyranids and Genestealers get far cooler psyker powers than tzeentch.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Wanting more power choices is cool and good. Wanting to go back to random rolling powers is loving dumb and bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Strobe posted:

Wanting more power choices is cool and good. Wanting to go back to random rolling powers is loving dumb and bad.

I do not think a single person would ever want that. Arguing against opinions nobody holds is silly.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Zaphod42 posted:

Tyranids and Genestealers get far cooler psyker powers than tzeentch.

The running joke of 40k is that since time immemorial the loving Chaos God of Magic has always had the worst discipline

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

goose willis posted:

The running joke of 40k is that since time immemorial the loving Chaos God of Magic has always had the worst discipline

Its not even a joke, its completely true. I really struggle to think of an edition where Tzeench was ... even remotely good. :negative:

Generally Nurgle and Slaanesh were far more practical and Tzeentch was just batshit crazy impractical random poo poo. Most of chaos psykers get by with the neutral spells which is a drat crime.

Just giving the Thousand Sons access to the daemon Tzeench discipline would be a loving start.

I'm still livid over the "one spell attempt per turn" rule. That's just so stupidly absurd, it means the number of spells available is a limiting factor on your total army psyker size and potential. One actual spell manifest would be a little bit better, but if you're going to go and give some factions 3 spells and other factions 9 spells then let the loving other guys cast their 3 spells more than once!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Zaphod42 posted:

I do not think a single person would ever want that. Arguing against opinions nobody holds is silly.

goose willis posted:

The old psyker phase was tedious I suppose but the main draw for me were all these RPG-style psyker schools and the ability to pick between multiple types of magic and the risk of rolling powers you don't want or getting lucky and having some truly awesome poo poo

Sure you're gonna get power-gaming gently caress-asses that whine about not being able to pick their powers but it was one of those unpredictable things that made you change your play-style on the fly and adapt to the unexpected

I wasn't. :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Strobe posted:

I wasn't. :colbert:

Oh drat, missed that post. I've seen lots of people argue about psykers in this thread but it always seemed like people arguing "we shouldn't go back to rng" were missing the point of those of us criticizing the 8th rules versus the 7th rules.

Yeah I disagree with rolling for powers completely.

You should have to roll to manifest, but not to pick. That just has such a large chance of loving you that everybody ended up just relying on primaris guaranteed powers. That's dumb.

I would argue that you shouldn't have to buy spells for psykers at all, give psykers access to a range of powers based on how powerful they are, and then make the manifesting test the balancing factor. Psychic powers should be all about options in combat, or otherwise you're just picking a different type of gun upgrade. What makes magic unique is the ability for a wizard to pick a spell to match the tactical situation.

But I'm way more okay with having to pick individual powers than I am with only being able to cast one spell one time per turn or having to roll for powers.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
But Tzeentch fluff is all about randomness and change? They should be mad as gently caress random powers, that's what Tzeentch is. The fact there are also a billion sorcerers in Tzeentch is just lol (also you get rubric marines and stuff, they're hot af)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I think eliminating the 6th/7th clusterfuck that was the old psychic rules was arguably the best change between them and 8th edition. It was a complete trainwreck.

Seriously. I'm sad about losing Traitor Legions rules, but I'd give them up for good if it meant never seeing those terrible psychic rules come back. A bad phase that a third of the game's armies have nothing to do in and a plethora of useless, random powers

Powers are good enough to use now, which is fine. It's not the ideal implementation in my opinion--that would tie the size of the effect to a psyker's mastery level--but at least it isn't randomly selecting powers with a 1/6 chance to get something game-breakingly good or a 4/6 chance to get something worthless

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
League night drama! Shadowsword one-shots a Knight. Knight owner complains, 'Lords of War should be banned!' The irony is lost on him.

New edition, same complaints.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Seriously. I'm sad about losing Traitor Legions rules, but I'd give them up for good if it meant never seeing those terrible psychic rules come back. A bad phase that a third of the game's armies have nothing to do in and a plethora of useless, random powers

Powers are good enough to use now, which is fine. It's not the ideal implementation in my opinion--that would tie the size of the effect to a psyker's mastery level--but at least it isn't randomly selecting powers with a 1/6 chance to get something game-breakingly good or a 4/6 chance to get something worthless

If that's the case, you'd have to make sure literally every ability scaled up well. I could see it being pretty tricky to balance.

That said, as is Magnus just hogs up the entirety of the Thousand Sons psyker phase.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

TKIY posted:

League night drama! Shadowsword one-shots a Knight. Knight owner complains, 'Lords of War should be banned!' The irony is lost on him.

He's right though.

The truth is just catching up to him.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

:perfect:

(I love that Baneblade chasis tanks are legitimately terrifying now)

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

:perfect:

(I love that Baneblade chasis tanks are legitimately terrifying now)

It's a god drat nightmare for under 600pts. Titan killing cannon, four lascannons and five twin heavy bolters.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

It's a god drat nightmare for under 600pts. Titan killing cannon, four lascannons and five twin heavy bolters.

I knew the main gun was good but I didn't realize the sponsons were quite so formidable. That sounds incredibly challenging to deal with.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

I knew the main gun was good but I didn't realize the sponsons were quite so formidable. That sounds incredibly challenging to deal with.

Yeah thirty heavy bolter shots on top of the anti armour stuff makes it pretty versatile.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The only way I can think of to deal with that effectively or reliably is with flyers.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Well, it's not *always* 30 Heavy Bolter shots. Sometimes it's 6 Heavy Bolter shots and 8D6 Heavy Flamer hits that can be fired while locked in combat.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Magnus would punk it in round one still.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
:siren:BATTLE REPORT:siren:

I was visiting the in-laws over the weekend, so I took some time to run up to ANAmal.net's place and play a game of 40k against him and a mutual friend who's just getting into the game with Orks. We decided to do a Narrative mission, and went with Breakthrough, where the Attacker (me) has to head up the table longways and put units in the enemy deployment zones (they have two, one comprising the rear 18" of table, and a 'forward deployment zone' constituting the next 18"). I decided to bring my World Eaters with me, running a couple squads of Berserkers in Rhinos, a Chaos Lord on Juggernaut, a squad of bikes, a squad of Terminators in a Land Raider, a 2x CCW Dreadnought, and summoning reserves of bloodletters and flesh hounds (x2). Also, I brought Kharn, because I was almost done painting the newer model, so I figured hey why not?

The table, set up at ANAmal.net's place:

What went down
I killed ANAmal's Librarian warlord in the preliminary bombardment, then spent my first turn boosting forward, with the most notable outcome being that my Land Raider shot 11 wounds off the Ork Battlewagon in one volley of lascannon fire. They retaliated by mulching my dreadnought on their turn, and plowing into my tanks with a battlewagon and a bunch of orks.

A few turns of combat later, plus some summoning, and I was able to turn the tide in my favor. The Berserkers and Kharn piled out of the Rhino the Orks had assaulted, and punched the gently caress out of them. But not before the Orks managed to kill the Rhino, causing it to explode and killing a handful of berserkers and terminators in the process. The other Berserkers pulped ANAmal's bikes, while my bikes got stuck in against a bunch of Flash Gitz, who I definitely underestimated.

The final score was 9-6 when we called the game on turn 5. Some of the big scorers were the daemons, who got dropped in deep behind enemy lines for easy points.

Highlights and Notes

- It's really hard to keep Kharn far enough away from your dudes to stop him from mulching a few of them. He took out a Battlewagon on his own and a bunch of Orks, but also like 4 berserkers. He hits like a loving freight train when he's in combat, though.

- Berserkers are really, really strong. Especially now that they fight twice immediately when they charge. I like those fellas quite a bit. Anything else and I've have been more worried about the Ork Boyz.

- Meat Grinder rules were in effect, and I ended up using a few CP to get a unit back into a transport to move up the battlefield quick. This was an interesting addition to the game.

- I'm also glad they clarified the Battlewagon rule on moving and shooting heavy weapons, because that was brutal when Flash Gitz were shooting out of it on T1.

The Bee posted:

If that's the case, you'd have to make sure literally every ability scaled up well. I could see it being pretty tricky to balance.

That said, as is Magnus just hogs up the entirety of the Thousand Sons psyker phase.

Yeah but it's not like the bar was set very high to begin with. Mastery Levels only went to 5 anyways and most things top out at 1-2.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 5, 2017

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

As a non 40k player can someone explain old/new psychic rules to me? I just started with Infinity, and hacking in that feels like the best psychic-wizard rules I've ever seen in a tabletop game.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Getting ready to move to the Miami, FL area. Any 40k goons around there, or anyone familiar with the local scene / stores? Apparently there is a tavern / game store which sounds like an awesome combo (in theory).

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

w00tmonger posted:

As a non 40k player can someone explain old/new psychic rules to me? I just started with Infinity, and hacking in that feels like the best psychic-wizard rules I've ever seen in a tabletop game.

Casting powers required a 4+ roll for each Warp charge required by the spell. It wasn't too complicated, the problem was randomly generating powers, trap tables, and overly broken powers/casters.

It's simpler now, you just roll 2d6 and compare that to the warp charges of the spell. No more hedging bets by rolling extra dice, which is kind of a bummer because I liked the gambling aspect of casting. Each power can only be attempted once, which keeps you from buffing your whole army.

panascope fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 5, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You know ... Exorcists color scheme is basically loyalist Khorne collars.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LingcodKilla posted:

You know ... Exorcists color scheme is basically loyalist Khorne collars.

What is this model that I'm looking at? It's like a Space Marine, but it seems way too small.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hustlin Floh posted:

What is this model that I'm looking at? It's like a Space Marine, but it seems way too small.

It's garbage from my trash pile. 5th ed starter.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Getting ready to move to the Miami, FL area. Any 40k goons around there, or anyone familiar with the local scene / stores? Apparently there is a tavern / game store which sounds like an awesome combo (in theory).

Which neighborhood of Miami? I'm up in West Palm Beach.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
3-5ed psychic powers: you bought psychic powers as equipment, essentially. Iirc you could only attempt a certain amount of the regardless. Roll under your Ld on 2d6, perils on 2 or 12.

Problem was powers activated during certain phases. So you had a psyker who had a power that went off at the beginning of the movement phase, another in the shooting phase, and then a force weapon which only activated if you wounded with it in there close combat phase. It was a bit of a clusterfuck.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JoshTheStampede posted:

The +1 S/T/A power only affects a single model.

I have been cheating ruthlessly with this goddamn

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Hammerhand, on the other... hand...

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I wonder if anyone has any bright ideas.

I inherited a huge lot of 40K Khorne stuff, mix of modern releases like Defilers and Hellbrute but also some super old school stuff such as Rogue Trader era Land Raiders ( will make a perfect base to make a Hellforged Proteus).

My problem is a couple of the models have conversions that I'm not a fan of. The main one being a metal Demon Prince model ( the latest one prior to finecast) that has had a scratch built jet pack added and held in place by what is possibly green stuff. I'm going to strip the models back but I wondered if there was a way of dissolving or removing green stuff?

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 5, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The RT land raiders still make obscene money on EBay.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TKIY posted:

After those stupid Mech walkers one shot my Tervigon I think the next time I play I'm not even going to run any monsters. Just 180 *gants and some primes. Maybe a venomthrope if I'm feeling saucy.

EDIT: And I'm modifying all of the store terrain to block line of sight. gently caress the terrain rules.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

LingcodKilla posted:

The RT land raiders still make obscene money on EBay.

Not sure, it's been heavily converted with spikes bits. It's not bad but it's not to everyone's tastes I guess. I'm going to strip the paint and see what I'm left with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I sold one with no bits added on but had been stepped on decades ago and clearly stated it and it still sold for over $60.