Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

Just one more question before I pull the trigger: Do black mages get better looking stuff down the line? Because the job preview gear is awful, and I'm currently rocking something that makes me look like a cat nun. :catstare:

Yes, pretty much every class gets a huge variety of stuff and you get the ability to 'glamour' various pieces to look like other pieces.

https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/ is a website of people's collected glamours if you want to see things people come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The early leveling gear is a holdover from 1.0 and horrible and almost everything added after it is superior, yeah.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Just one more question before I pull the trigger: Do black mages get better looking stuff down the line? Because the job preview gear is awful, and I'm currently rocking something that makes me look like a cat nun. :catstare:

http://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/ shows quite a bit of armor sets, though not all of them. You can filter it down to "caster" or "blm" to see what some of them look like.

efb: I prefer the PvP griffin armor set for my BLM glamour.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
deus ex estinian :stwoon:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Or if you prefer "Modern" to "Classical"

At level 50 you get the ability to "Glamour" and change your equipped gear to look like whatever other piece of gear you want (as long as you are a level and class able to equip it).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 5, 2017

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Just don't want to look like a weird fetishist gimp:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's insane that the "Polyglot" status doesn't shroud your face in shadow and replace your eyes with burning yellow motes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah the original BLM AF was dumb, see my picture above with the dyeable version and a much better hat.

Ferrinus posted:

It's insane that the "Polyglot" status doesn't shroud your face in shadow and replace your eyes with burning yellow motes.

Nah, that should be the /visor mode of every BLM AF hat.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah the original BLM AF was dumb, see my picture above with the dyeable version and a much better hat.

Nah, that should be the /visor mode of every BLM AF hat.

Honestly chaps my rear end that the glowy eye thing isn't an option from day 1.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Here are two of my recent caster outfits:

e: Also I kinda like the original BLM, it makes sense that someone that regularly works with raw elements would have a thick leather outfit.

vOv fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 5, 2017

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Or if you prefer "Modern" to "Classical"

actually using your left sleeve, 7/10.

Edmond Dantes posted:

You don't want to look like a third rate las vegas magician?

Also you lucky bastard getting on Excalibur. I'm really impatient but also really cheap.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

How does coils progression work? Usually in every other dungeon or raid ive done so far you get the quest unlock the raid/dungeon and only upon finishing it do you complete or get another quest/ I just unlocked the first chunk of coil and that completed the quest and now I don't know if im meant to look for another quest or if another quest will appear after i do turns 1-5

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
How is the Ala Mhigo mount farm going? Is it as rare as getting a puppy from one of the EX primals? Cause gently caress's sake, lads, I don't see how some of you pull it off.

Zaphod42 posted:

Holy poo poo the Omega gear is really good looking

You really think so? Huh. Most everyone I talked to today agreed that it looks pretty bad. I dunno why I'm in such a rush to replace the i290 stuff since it looks pretty good, but I'm definitely not wild about the 300, 310, or 320 stuff so far.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Edmond Dantes posted:

BLM AF1 owns and I will not suffer these blandishments :colbert:

that said thanks to glamours you can basically dress how you want, within limits like BLMs can't wear non-BLM gear or that sort of thing

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The Omega gear is definitely hurt by being in the blandest and/or most muted colors possible, and it's mot dyeable to fix that. I think the caster and sam/mnk stuff look great, healer really needs dye so its hat doesn't clash horribly.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The Omega Healer gear looks frigging awful.

I like it enough except for the dumb pope hat

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

UHD posted:

I like it enough except for the dumb pope hat

I don't know what to say if you don't glamour all your hats into glasses.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Just did the DRK 70 quest, and it was pretty rad. Out of all the jobs I've done, I think they're consistently best.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

50 opens up glamours anyway so the original gear legit doesn't matter.

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009

Zaggitz posted:

How does coils progression work? Usually in every other dungeon or raid ive done so far you get the quest unlock the raid/dungeon and only upon finishing it do you complete or get another quest/ I just unlocked the first chunk of coil and that completed the quest and now I don't know if im meant to look for another quest or if another quest will appear after i do turns 1-5

Coil only gives a poo poo if you finish the last turn in the tier with regard to quest progression. Turn 5 for first, and Turn 4 (or 9 and 13) for Second and Final.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Edmond Dantes posted:

Speaking of gear getting better 'down the line', reminder to not do literally any sidequest unless you need to level up somehow when doing your main story.
Just do main story quests and your class hunts and any 'feature quest' (the ones that have a blue symbol).

I was dumb enough to clear out a bunch of quests in early La Noscea as a Marauder so now when levelling Arcanist 10-20 there ain't poo poo.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

Edmond Dantes posted:

When you can, get to the Hall of the Novice (around level 15) for a brief tutorial on your role in a standard dungeon, and more importantly, a sexy new set of robes without an awful hood.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Someone post the Stormblood Black Mage set for Edmond. It's real good but I'm phone posting and useless.

Edit:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 5, 2017

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

viewtyjoe posted:

Coil only gives a poo poo if you finish the last turn in the tier with regard to quest progression. Turn 5 for first, and Turn 4 (or 9 and 13) for Second and Final.

So after I beat turn 5 another quest will appear? My problem right now is there is no visible quest which makes me worry I'll do it for nothing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Dark Knights get a Shoryuken and a Hadoken

Also a move where you cross yourself up so hard you loving break your own ankles.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FF5 aside, if you haven't played Paranoia then you're missing out on a whole loving lot for the new raid.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Spuzzz posted:

As a Red Mage, I glamour all my hats into fancier hats.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
meganekko-neko or get out

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sinteres posted:

I'm not wild about it, but it's hard to argue that it's not on theme for the expansion, even if it's not particularly for the raid. I just hope we get a dope sci fi looking gear set in the third tier of raids.

I've been waiting for some proper Japanese armor sets the entire SB expansion, having one won't kill us :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Casters get some of the best gear in the game but basically everything in FFXIV is pretty lame until you get to like level 30 or even level 50

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Spuzzz posted:

Uhh big hats every day?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think that's one of Zero's moves in MvC3. In fact, with how angsty he is, I bet Zero is a Dark Knight.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SonicRulez posted:

I think that's one of Zero's moves in MvC3. In fact, with how angsty he is, I bet Zero is a Dark Knight.

Nero's battle stance makes me suspect he's a DRK. I don't think any other jobs have that particular stance.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Tip for rolling on loot in Omega - let all all the other rolls go before you roll on the items you want so that eliminates some of your competition.

If you're going in wanting a spring and a Spring, Spring, Crank, and Lens drop, some people are going to roll need on all 4. So you'll have competition across all four. Pass on the Lens and the Crank and let the rolls play out on those before you roll need on the Springs as that will be two less potential rolls on the Springs.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I don't know that there are any Dark Knights outside of Ishgard besides the player, since they're a byproduct of the church.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

But don't be the rear end in a top hat that's only rolled on one thing and is waiting for the result to pass before he rolls on the other three, thus making the entire group wait those awkward minutes afterwards while no lot resolves and making people trawl the loot log to find who to call out on not rolling.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Tip for rolling on loot in Omega - let all all the other rolls go before you roll on the items you want so that eliminates some of your competition.

If you're going in wanting a spring and a Spring, Spring, Crank, and Lens drop, some people are going to roll need on all 4. So you'll have competition across all four. Pass on the Lens and the Crank and let the rolls play out on those before you roll need on the Springs as that will be two less potential rolls on the Springs.

This idea's always great once it spreads.
Me: "Oh hey I need a spring, I'll roll on everything else first."
Pubbie: "Oh hey I need a lens I'll roll on everything else first."
Then we wait for loot to time out.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Just say "oh gently caress nice, 93 on the spring" in /party regardless of whatever you actually rolled.

(don't actually do this)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I wish the game had 60s loot timers at the end of instances, not 5 minute ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Well O1 is kinda boring mechanically, and 2 is a bit better, but 3 and 4 are pretty good poo poo. Apart from O1, fights are better than alexander, even if the backdrop is super whatever. "Hey fight these random simulations to prove you're stronk." I know, MMO stories, but FF14 at least pretended to try.

Also there's no fight where I get to spam flare forever like in A2? What the gently caress yoship? Is this why you gave us foul and quad flares? Come on.