Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Colonel Whitey posted:

If anyone can make sense of this mans tweet I would appreciate it

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/882224421804556288

I'm pretty sure he liked it! :buddy:

In other news: Edgar Wright interviewed actual former getaway drivers in the process of writing this. Not only did they give him a lot of details that ended up in the movie, but some actual word-for-word lines as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
It was ok. The love story was a little dull and the final third seemed contrived and rushed. I hope egdar wright doesn't start making American action films now

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Spergatory posted:

In other news: Edgar Wright interviewed actual former getaway drivers in the process of writing this. Not only did they give him a lot of details that ended up in the movie, but some actual word-for-word lines as well.

quote:

Of course, sometimes the truth is too fiction-like for fiction. Another one of Loya’s music choices–he would play “Smooth Criminal” by Michael Jackson after completing a getaway–was deemed too unrealistic for the movie.

Haha

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

If anyone can make sense of this mans tweet I would appreciate it

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/882224421804556288

“I enjoyed this movie. It made me want to use an old iPod again instead of the Sony Walkman I currently use, and I totally would be the getaway driver because I listen to a lot of music” (which he does - he is constantly buying music and listening to it and tweeting about what he’s listening to just like everything else he buys because that man buys so much nerdy poo poo it’s no wonder he and del Toro hit it off like they shared an umbilical cord)

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
General Edgar Wright Question: is there a scene in Hot Fuzz that foreshadows the plot like the Nick Frost in the bar in Shaun of the Dead or Simon Pegg discussing the first attempt at the golden mile in The World's End? I can't remember if Hot Fuzz has one of those.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

LesterGroans posted:

General Edgar Wright Question: is there a scene in Hot Fuzz that foreshadows the plot like the Nick Frost in the bar in Shaun of the Dead or Simon Pegg discussing the first attempt at the golden mile in The World's End? I can't remember if Hot Fuzz has one of those.

Yep.

When Nick Frost asks Simon Pegg if he's ever done all the stereotypical cop movie things and Pegg ends up doing all of them by the end of the movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Oh yeah, of course. Thanks.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm also pretty sure the scene where he is walking through town greeting people mirrors the final battle.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, there are definitely a lot of individual callbacks and whatnot (the doctor's foot injury, the crossword stuff) but I wasn't sure if there was a section that kinda laid out how the movie would go. Butterman asking Angel about the action movie stuff is definitely the closest to that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Isn't Hot Fuzz two movies? Like there's a delineation point where the movie essentially repeats itself but now with violence?

Introducing that to my nephew was fun. The first 20 minutes or so is a typical fish out of water movie with a British bent and then suddenly murder.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Isn't Hot Fuzz two movies? Like there's a delineation point where the movie essentially repeats itself but now with violence?

Introducing that to my nephew was fun. The first 20 minutes or so is a typical fish out of water movie with a British bent and then suddenly murder.

I really need to show somebody The World's End and and totally leave out that it's actually a sci-fi film, just to see their reaction once they're in the bathroom and there's suddenly blue alien robot goo everywhere.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
My favorite bit of pay off in any Edgar Wright movie is hands down Nick Angel walking into the hotel he's staying at and helping the old lady with her crossword with her essentially calling him a fascist and him calling her a hag, and then having it come back in the final gun fight. It's just goddamn good comedy writing.

Everything in Hot Fuzz pays off in some way or another, and it's brilliant.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It's completely unsurprising that Hideo Kojima loved Baby Driver.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The last half hour of Hot Fuzz (from the granny kick on) is the best half hour in the history of film

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Colonel Whitey posted:

The last half hour of Hot Fuzz (from the granny kick on) is the best half hour in the history of film

I think that the last 30 mins ruins the film. The rest of it is great though.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The first 3/4 of HF feel stronger to me because they parody British murder mysteries, which take themselves very seriously, whereas the last parodies American action films, which don't.
Still find it very funny though.

I like Baby Driver and I'm sure when I watch it again I'll notice lots of things I missed on the first viewing. Was a bit bummed out by the ending. Hoped he'd escape.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah pretty much. Almost every heist movie has that because, well, someone has to lay these things out. Unless you're on about him talking about Baby's condition which is one thing I actually liked because Spacey delivers it with an air of "Great, here's another crew I have to explain this poo poo to."

I watched The World's End just before catching Baby Driver tonight, and I will say that the exposition dumps (which Wright isn't new to) are handled much more elegantly in Baby Driver than they are in The World's End.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Chieves posted:

I really need to show somebody The World's End and and totally leave out that it's actually a sci-fi film, just to see their reaction once they're in the bathroom and there's suddenly blue alien robot goo everywhere.

That's how I watched World's End. I had no idea there'd be aliens.

I knew it was an apocalyptic movie of some sort, but who the gently caress expects aliens. At least with Shawn, the means of destruction are in the title.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Thinking back I thought the action sequences in previous Edgar Wright movies were mostly kinda bad, especially if they go on for too long, which makes it impressive how they totally work in this one.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

bitterandtwisted posted:

The first 3/4 of HF feel stronger to me because they parody British murder mysteries, which take themselves very seriously, whereas the last parodies American action films, which don't.
Still find it very funny though.

I like Baby Driver and I'm sure when I watch it again I'll notice lots of things I missed on the first viewing. Was a bit bummed out by the ending. Hoped he'd escape.

It seems more fitting in retrospect, because he got what he really wanted: He finally isn't a criminal.

Fangz posted:

Thinking back I thought the action sequences in previous Edgar Wright movies were mostly kinda bad, especially if they go on for too long, which makes it impressive how they totally work in this one.

The World's End had some great fights imo

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Fangz posted:

I thought he battle with the NWA was great and having the finale in the model village was an inspired choice, and I loved the way the Winchester fight segued seamlessly from comedy with Don't Stop me Now to full on straight zombie horror.

Only saw Worlds End once, but I remember the action being pretty good.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
This one in particular I'm fond of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhhbua6ELxo

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i like the world's end a lot, which bums me out since unlike shaun of the dead and hot fuzz it doesn't ever seem to be available on any of the big streaming services

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I identified too much with Gary King and got depressed about it.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Awful movie. Easily Edgar Wright's worst. There is nothing this movie does that Fate of the Furious doesn't do better. Fate is funnier, has more fleshed out characters, has a better love story (!) and a more coherent plot (!!), and, most importantly, actually depicts car stunts. To wit, here is Edgar Wright's patented method of how to shoot and edit a car stunt:

1) Show a car swerving.
2) Show a picture of a wheel.
3) Show a picture of an actor making a face.
4) Show the car driving straight again.

With those four easy steps, you will have convinced the audience that they have just seen a car stunt, but in fact, they just imagined one taking place. Movie magic. They could have gotten the same results by sitting at home, imagining how cool it would be to be good at driving.

In conclusion, Baby Driver's purpose seems to be to convince me to buy a Subaru, but I already have one, so it didn't really work for me.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
This movie was pretty great.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I've never been able to find Shaun of the Dead on streaming no matter how hard I look, so Scott Pilgrim and Hot Fuzz are the only other Wright films I've seen, and I was only able to find Fuzz about a week before Baby.

Hot Fuzz brought me indescribable joy, incidentally. I loved how basically every single thing I thought was incidental or a one-off gag either came back later or turned out to be a clue.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Justwatch.com will tell you which films are available on which service (subs, rent and/or buy).

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 5, 2017

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I ended up buying the Edgar Wright trilogy blu-ray and activating the digital copies on vudu. Every tv/device has a vudu app and I don't have to worry about the movies leaving the service.

P.S. Baby Driver was great

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

f#a# posted:

lol i totally glossed over that, but looking back his last words were "if you don't see me again...I'm dead"

I also think that Buddy and Darling talking at the gas station about the guy he stabbed for looking at her funny was referencing Griff. Either way, I was in stitches watching Griff deliver that line when I watched the movie for a 2nd time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ohvee posted:

Every tv/device has a vudu app and I don't have to worry about the movies leaving the service.

Until Vudu doesn't exist or it's no longer viable for them to host your purchases.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Apparently Sony wants a sequel and Wright didn't dismiss the idea. I think it's a risky idea but as long as he's got something in mind that he's passionate about it could be okay, I don't think he's capable of making something outright bad.

http://collider.com/baby-driver-2-edgar-wright/#ansel-elgort

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Baby Driver 2: Toddler Driver

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
All the awesome characters are dead.

Just make another heist movie instead of a sequel.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I'm really not sure how you'd pick up from the ending of this without invalidating the ending, and sequels that do that are almost* invariably poo poo.

* Alien 3 is the sole exception, and only because it did it for a purpose and not just "hurr durr we make new movie now."

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Sony Pictures wants a sequel because they're Sony Pictures and it's the first legitimate non-animated hit they've had in a few years. Also because if it's a bad idea, it's a Sony Pictures idea.

It would be an absolutely terrible idea. They would be much better served by giving Wright free reign to make whatever under-$40m movie he feels like on a studio contract than to chase good with bad.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I'll agree with that. I'd love to be proven wrong by an awesome Baby Driver sequel, but I don't see it happening.

If anything, let Wright do another trilogy in the same vein as the Cornetto trilogy.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

As long as it's a spirutual trilogy.

Like all of them are heist films but focus on a different job. Like one is about a safe cracker or the inside man or whatever.

Or all of them are crime films but about different sorts of crimes.

I don´t care as long as he keeps it varied.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

pospysyl posted:

Awful movie. Easily Edgar Wright's worst. There is nothing this movie does that Fate of the Furious doesn't do better. Fate is funnier, has more fleshed out characters, has a better love story (!) and a more coherent plot (!!), and, most importantly, actually depicts car stunts. To wit, here is Edgar Wright's patented method of how to shoot and edit a car stunt:

1) Show a car swerving.
2) Show a picture of a wheel.
3) Show a picture of an actor making a face.
4) Show the car driving straight again.

With those four easy steps, you will have convinced the audience that they have just seen a car stunt, but in fact, they just imagined one taking place. Movie magic. They could have gotten the same results by sitting at home, imagining how cool it would be to be good at driving.

In conclusion, Baby Driver's purpose seems to be to convince me to buy a Subaru, but I already have one, so it didn't really work for me.

I actually went into this movie just wanting to see it because I heard it was packed with no-CG car stunts. The movie had very few of them that weren't cut away too quickly, so that was disappointing. But the rest of the movie was so good that it didn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

FreudianSlippers posted:

As long as it's a spirutual trilogy.

Like all of them are heist films but focus on a different job. Like one is about a safe cracker or the inside man or whatever.

Or all of them are crime films but about different sorts of crimes.

I don´t care as long as he keeps it varied.

All of this. I'd be good with a Hot Fuzz approach, as well, where the same actors are in it but they're not the same people. More Jon Hamm is generally a good thing.

• Locked thread