Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the atlantic runs coates and he buys them all of their credibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Oh man accusing centrists of sexism during the primary would feel so loving good

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Joementum posted:

it's really not

go ahead and defend Frum, Friedersdorf, Fallows, Beinart, Appelbaum, and the rest of the crew who think "well, the last time we bombed the poo poo out of a place or sold arms to people it went horribly wrong, but this next time, yeah, it's gonna be good"

those aren't the parts I'm defending not condemning

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Zuckerbros :cabot:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

those aren't the parts I'm defending not condemning

so like half their masthead is bad but they've got good writers? cool.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't understand this article. What is its argument?

The article reads to me like it's pointing out that while the left would really rather have single-payer, they do not want to side with the Republican argument of blowing up Obamacare in an accelerationist ploy to make single-payer happen "faster" in a world without Obamacare altogether.

Allying with the liberals to save Obamacare might ultimately delay the single-payer goal and allow the rift between the liberals and the left to persist and scab-over that much longer, but the left isn't willing to accept the human cost of an Obamacare repeal for the sake of their longer-term goal.

It's making the case that since Sanders currently is, in the form of his support for a lowered Medicare eligibility age, fighting for Obamacare, that the rest of the left should throw in with him.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

macron more like fuckron amirite

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The funniest thing that's happened in human history was when the Obama white house watched a prototype of Hamilton show and they all laughed because they thought it was a comedy and Lin Manuel Miranda cried

I wish Hamilton was alive to smear Miranda's name via one of his many newspapers.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think the article is mistaken in thinking that mainstream dems are interested in the principle of extending healthcare to people who are currently uninsured

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rand alPaul posted:

I wish Hamilton was alive to smear Miranda's name via one of his many newspapers.

i wish immortal technique would throw him in another garbage can

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Rand alPaul posted:

She went to a play and received a standing ovation.

https://twitter.com/JoiseyJoh/status/881698436676014080

I'm the people in the balcony facing the opposite direction

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

only rich people can afford Broadway so I'm not surprised

Technically its Off Broadway...
:goonsay:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Bilirubin posted:

Technically its Off Broadway...
:goonsay:

Nope. It won the Tony for Best Play. Lincoln Center's mainstage counts as Broadway since it's >500 seats

:smuggo:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

But you literally have to turn off Broadway to get to Lincoln Center Square :smugdon:

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
there should be a permanent rift between liberals and the left

let the liberals go take over the republican party to make it respectable and let the left get on with actually caring about justice and equality

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/882432115773775872

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
do it warren

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

gently caress off booker

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

anime was right posted:

gently caress off booker

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

everyone else has for you buddy

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Just to let you guys know I haven't ruled off a 2020 run either.

I just need 31million dollars before I can confirm I am.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Warren's foreign policy stances have not been good.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

Warren's foreign policy stances have not been good.

who does have good foreign policy stances

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I think most third-way liberals somewhere deep, deep down want to be leftists but they're filled with shame and pants-shittingly terrified of the right. In fact if you keep those two things in mind everything they do makes perfect sense.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
warren is just too drat boring and not a great public speaker

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

ThndrShk2k posted:

Where do we donate?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ThndrShk2k posted:

What's your position on Aleppo?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

gradenko_2000 posted:

What's your position on Aleppo?
The ottoman empire is a waste! :sad:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Jeb! Repetition posted:

True as gently caress. This is also why it was so distasteful and revealing when centrist political pundits were treating Hamilton like the biggest cultural phenomenon last year.

That's why I've always thought the Tony's were the red headed step child of award shows. I don't know how it's still on tv when it should be on par with the cable Ace awards. Anyone can watch a lot of tv, see a lot of movies or listen to a lot of music and at least pretend to follow along with its respective award show. But it takes a certain kind of rich elitist gently caress that lives within reasonable proximity to NYC to go to one Broadway show let alone multiple ones to determine which is the best.
Do these people even give a poo poo about the theater in the other 99% of the country?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty out of the loop on Hamilton. I know it's about Alexander Hamilton, but what exactly is its cultural cache?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

anime was right posted:

ive said repeatedly that clinton would have been a fine president, but like, she literally never advocated for her mostly good policies which were a harder sell because

she ran on a list of terms and conditions attached to bernies platform and didn't even list off the table of contents
she doesn't have to explain any of her platform to you it's your job as a constituent to inform yourself and go to her website :colbert:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the democratic politicians are literally more out of touch with the american people than billionaire donald trump :psyduck:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm pretty out of the loop on Hamilton. I know it's about Alexander Hamilton, but what exactly is its cultural cache?

Somebody get this guy the post-election article about why everybody at Vice or Buzzfeed or whatever was reading Hamilton.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

UHD posted:

who does have good foreign policy stances

Gloria La Riva

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

The Nastier Nate posted:

That's why I've always thought the Tony's were the red headed step child of award shows. I don't know how it's still on tv when it should be on par with the cable Ace awards. Anyone can watch a lot of tv, see a lot of movies or listen to a lot of music and at least pretend to follow along with its respective award show. But it takes a certain kind of rich elitist gently caress that lives within reasonable proximity to NYC to go to one Broadway show let alone multiple ones to determine which is the best.
Do these people even give a poo poo about the theater in the other 99% of the country?

aren't most award shows basically insider circlejerks anyway

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I think most third-way liberals somewhere deep, deep down want to be Republicans but they're filled with shame and pants-shittingly terrified of being called racist. In fact if you keep those two things in mind everything they do makes perfect sense.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ya i been making that point

the justify their republican economics by going "oh well im not immoral, im not racist after all" even if their economics are extremely racist

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Andrei Dorkovsky posted:

warren is just too drat boring and not a great public speaker

Yup

gradenko_2000 posted:

Middle class white people can listen to "hip hop" while receiving milquetoast liberal messaging about capitalism and meritocracy. The media loves it because media folks are boring urbanites who think Miranda invented Broadway hip-hop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Where do we donate?
Before donations are allowed the campaign will have to completely and transparently expose the campaign budget. Here's a draft:

$60k x 100 ($6mil) for 2 self sustaining tiny houses per state to act like campaign hubs and a place to sleep while in-state.
$1mil for utilities and upkeep (solar power on each house reduces cost)
$7.5k x 100 x2 ($1.5mil) for plot rentals for 1.5-2 years for each tiny house
$0mil for candles because gently caress candles
$1.5mil for transport between tiny houses and transport of tiny houses to parking lots when in use and not on it's lot.
$16mil on at least 2 seasons of 15 minute ads showing sequentially within the 1-4am timeslot on all major non-cable over the air networks.
$10k for oil lamps.
$15k for lamp oil.
$4mil to pay for 128.205128205 (I'll find a way to employ 0.205... people) interns for a total of 52weeks (non-concurrent) to staff the entire campaign, from a variety of fields. (No vaca or benefits due to being interns/temp, but are only required to work 40 hours a week and that's it, no overtime unless more funds come in.)
$1mil payment for being a candidate

Youtube ad revenue on the episodic content should pay for any unforeseen consequences like needing more lamp oil, and any extra money beyond that is a boon.
At the end of the campaign the tiny houses will be sold at a non-premium price, regaining at least $4mil (~13% of 31mil) back for charitable purposes no matter the results. Interns get first chance to purchase.

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 05:21 on Jul 5, 2017

• Locked thread