Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

ConfusedUs posted:

Man, where the hell is this Grant Lockwood guy?

I know he's out in space. My objective marker gets me that far, but once I'm in space it vanishes.

I've looked up several guides and even some youtube videos and I just can't find him. I never see a "human corpse" marker out there. I even crafted like 15 Anti-Rad packages and cruised around in the radiation zone for a while.

There might be some difference between using the sidequest tracker and using an actual personnel tracker from a computer. Either way, he's way the hell out in space right before you start taking radiation damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I never found him either for the same reason so I never even knew there was a double jump in the game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ride the revolving billboard around the station for a while, facing the expanse. He's close enough to it that he shows up as a green blip when you pass by.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

Ride the revolving billboard around the station for a while, facing the expanse. He's close enough to it that he shows up as a green blip when you pass by.

This method is foolproof albeit time-consuming.

QUESTION: does the game gain ANYTHING by letting you pick Morgan's gender? I just feel like if Morgan were canonically a woman and everyone played through as a woman we'd have a shot at a lasting protagonist, but making it RPG-ish by allowing player choice muddied the waters and makes it so nobody remembers Morgan, they only remember their Morgan.

After 2-3 playthrough I think making Morgan an Asian, female, gay scientist could have been an awesome hook that had potentially Gordon Freeman levels of cult following, but again, the decision being left to the player hurts the game, IMO.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

please don't post lists of your turn-ons itt, Bust Rodd

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

There might be some difference between using the sidequest tracker and using an actual personnel tracker from a computer. Either way, he's way the hell out in space right before you start taking radiation damage.

Yeah I did the personnel tracker thing too. He just doesn't light up for me. :(

CJacobs posted:

Gonna try this.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

QUESTION: does the game gain ANYTHING by letting you pick Morgan's gender? I just feel like if Morgan were canonically a woman and everyone played through as a woman we'd have a shot at a lasting protagonist, but making it RPG-ish by allowing player choice muddied the waters and makes it so nobody remembers Morgan, they only remember their Morgan.

After 2-3 playthrough I think making Morgan an Asian, female, gay scientist could have been an awesome hook that had potentially Gordon Freeman levels of cult following, but again, the decision being left to the player hurts the game, IMO.

That would've been interesting but it's not going to happen in the year of our lord 2017. The video game industry still has hang-ups in regards to non-white male protagonists and the increasing number of games with character customization is an easy way of appeasing everyone while using white dude™ for most of the marketing. Even with Prey and its half-Asian protagonist almost every piece of marketing covered Male Morgan's facial features and I doubt it was fully unintentional.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Bust Rodd posted:

Female, save everyone Morgan is my canonical choice. My second playthrough is going to be Male, human abilities only, murder everyone Morgan.

Because the deadliest creature is Man, do you see?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bust Rodd posted:

Being able to choose is imo the best decision because it allows the player to decide which they want to play as- putting it in the player's hands to choose fits in with the game's theme of being able to play it however you want, even down to what gender your character is. Also, Morgan is the same character regardless of whether you're male or female so there is no 'they only remember their Morgan', everyone's Morgan is the same but with he or she flip-flopped. Which is how it should be.

GUI posted:

That would've been interesting but it's not going to happen in the year of our lord 2017. The video game industry still has hang-ups in regards to non-white male protagonists and the increasing number of games with character customization is an easy way of appeasing everyone while using white dude™ for most of the marketing. Even with Prey and its half-Asian protagonist almost every piece of marketing covered Male Morgan's facial features and I doubt it was fully unintentional.

The very first trailer opened with him looking in a mirror examining his face wtf are you talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oBmrZQSHvI

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 4, 2017

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Did anybody else get the impression by the ending that the people who were operators in the ending were active participants in the simulation, rather than just watching simulated versions of themselves? After the fact it felt like a lot of the dialog, particularly from January was written as if they have full knowledge of how things turn out. If so, that's really impressive how consistent they made everything. At any rate, I think it's kind of fascinating that here we have a game that in a sense knows it's a game, and sets up the characters in the game to comment on the game player's actions and search them for meaning in the context of a game/player relationship.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

The very first trailer opened with him looking in a mirror examining his face wtf are you talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oBmrZQSHvI

I said "almost" because of that exact video. :ssh:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, Morgan wears the helmet in most of the promo material because you can choose your gender in the game. It's a cause & effect thing. :geno:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Man, where the hell is this Grant Lockwood guy?

I know he's out in space. My objective marker gets me that far, but once I'm in space it vanishes.

I've looked up several guides and even some youtube videos and I just can't find him. I never see a "human corpse" marker out there. I even crafted like 15 Anti-Rad packages and cruised around in the radiation zone for a while.

i'll try to give directions, but given the difficulty of navigating in space, it's gonna be problematic at best. If you orientate yourself so that the arboretum is up, his body is somewhat above the 3rd ring from the bottom, above the shuttle bay airlock, outside the ring. If you look at talos, you'll see 2 wings to the left and right, one being the hardware lab and the other is the neuromod division - you're on the correct side of the station if the hardware lab is on the left-side of the station. If you consider the hardware lab-neuromod lab the east-west axis of the station, you want to be south-south-west.

gently caress it, have a screenshot, and triangulate the location from the various locations on the station. The "multiple objectives" indicator is the shuttle airlock. The red hue is due to radiation damage.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/867356594018334491/3420F0CD5A5071B12A3EF03C79DDA2F3DC89E127/

If you do the 'ride the billboard' method, he should be "down" relative to the billboard (away from arboretum, towards power plant).

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 4, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like Morgan's (well, January's really) male voice actor more than the female VO. That's kind of a spoiler but it's also a really, really obvious one.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I like Morgan's (well, January's really) male voice actor more than the female VO. That's kind of a spoiler but it's also a really, really obvious one.

I thought so too, but that might just be because male morgan was my first playthrough and thus whatever deviates is "wrong".

Though tbh the difference isn't that large, compared to stuff like mass effect

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world
Just picked this up in the steam summer sale, and it's really fun and well made. I heard it's short-ish but it's really engaging so it's definitely worth the money. I was surprised but my favorite portion of the game itself has been the soundtrack - very chill future synth! Really loved the 'helicopter ride' in the beginning section, very stylish intro.

I went into the game pretty blind, will I regret putting points into wrench skills or is the game pretty liberal with neuromods? I'm just playing it on normal.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

You get mods like candy.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I played on Hard and by the end of the game I had used like 250-270 neuromods.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm pretty surprised by people saying that the last 20% or so of the game is bad and acting like it was a huge slog. The large number of choices with very little combat weren't much of a problem because I was able to run through everything pretty much completely fine. It took me maybe an hour to finish the game after the blackbox operators showed up, and I kind of appreciated things escalating so much that just sprinting from point to point felt pretty well paced.

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah I did the personnel tracker thing too. He just doesn't light up for me. :(

Make sure you don't have the personnel tracker disabled in your objectives screen.

Sardonik posted:

Did anybody else get the impression by the ending that the people who were operators in the ending were active participants in the simulation, rather than just watching simulated versions of themselves? After the fact it felt like a lot of the dialog, particularly from January was written as if they have full knowledge of how things turn out. If so, that's really impressive how consistent they made everything. At any rate, I think it's kind of fascinating that here we have a game that in a sense knows it's a game, and sets up the characters in the game to comment on the game player's actions and search them for meaning in the context of a game/player relationship.

January refers to the Apex as the Apex regardless of if you scan it or anything, which I think is one of the biggest tipping of the cards as to her having foreknowledge.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I really liked the end of the game a lot too so it's not just you.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

turn off the TV posted:

I'm pretty surprised by people saying that the last 20% or so of the game is bad and acting like it was a huge slog. The large number of choices with very little combat weren't much of a problem because I was able to run through everything pretty much completely fine. It took me maybe an hour to finish the game after the blackbox operators showed up, and I kind of appreciated things escalating so much that just sprinting from point to point felt pretty well paced.

The loading screens make it more painful than it would otherwise have been.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It initially really bothered me that none of the emails had any dates, but in the context of the game being a simulation to test the actions of a human/typhon hybrid it makes a lot of sense. The order of events and information that you're given make everything ambiguous enough that the identity of the original Morgan is impossible to really know. Different characters give different takes on what Morgan was originally like (most of whom were taking part in the simulation), and the audio logs and emails you can read imply that neuromod fuckery makes it very easy to brainwash people. You have no real way of knowing the actual order of events, and which were the result of what. Pretty cool really, and the whole theme of dealing with the actions of past incarnations makes me feel like this game is a nice spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment.

Rinkles posted:

The loading screens make it more painful than it would otherwise have been.

I guess I made a good choice in installing it on an SSD.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

turn off the TV posted:

Make sure you don't have the personnel tracker disabled in your objectives screen.

i had the personal tracker from the security station enabled the entire time and it just shut off when i went into space too, had to look it up online

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

rabidsquid posted:

i had the personal tracker from the security station enabled the entire time and it just shut off when i went into space too, had to look it up online

You can actually toggle quest/personnel location markers in the objectives menu. The personnel tracker and the quest objective marker look almost identical, so if it looks like it disappears when you go into space it could very likely be the location marker for the personnel tracker being turned off. That happened to me and it took me a decent amount of head scratching to realize what was going on.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 5, 2017

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So I realized after the fact that I had one fairly big question that either was never answered, or whose answer I never noticed:
How did the typhon actually break containment? When we see Bellamy attacked they've already been loose for a while, spreading, as evidenced by various emails. But I don't know I ever saw exactly why it happened in the first place, or what caused it, especially with all the safeguards in place. In any disaster/containment breach setting that's usually a significant plot point. Obviously it started in Psychotronics, since that's where they were being kept to begin with, but I wasn't clear.

Actually, for that matter, why did Alex lock you in the simulation? You went in willingly and there were certain safeguards, but then he just threw those out the window and never even addresses that ever. It's weird that in all his pleading and pep talks to you he never even mentions taking away your reorientations between tests, or why he felt the need to turn you into a rat in a wheel. I feel like if he'd at least tried to explain that I might've been more ready to listen to him off the bat.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMjQ3hA9mEA

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Vib Rib posted:

So I realized after the fact that I had one fairly big question that either was never answered, or whose answer I never noticed:
How did the typhon actually break containment? When we see Bellamy attacked they've already been loose for a while, spreading, as evidenced by various emails. But I don't know I ever saw exactly why it happened in the first place, or what caused it, especially with all the safeguards in place. In any disaster/containment breach setting that's usually a significant plot point. Obviously it started in Psychotronics, since that's where they were being kept to begin with, but I wasn't clear.

Actually, for that matter, why did Alex lock you in the simulation? You went in willingly and there were certain safeguards, but then he just threw those out the window and never even addresses that ever. It's weird that in all his pleading and pep talks to you he never even mentions taking away your reorientations between tests, or why he felt the need to turn you into a rat in a wheel. I feel like if he'd at least tried to explain that I might've been more ready to listen to him off the bat.

One of the scientists in psychotronics is mind jacked by a telepath during a test and then proceeds to let at least one mimick out of containment. I believe that he's the one you can find in the trauma center.

As for why Alex keeps Morgan in the simulation, as the tests begin progressing Morgan becomes more and more erratic between trials. Morgan starts building October through January, steals Alex's escape pod key, befuddles and upsets the crew, etc. To confound matters, very few people are aware that neuromods can be removed, and probably fewer that removal causes memory loss, so as a result Alex decides to just keep Morgan in the simulation.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

As for why Alex keeps Morgan in the simulation, as the tests begin progressing Morgan becomes more and more erratic between trials. Morgan starts building October through January, steals Alex's escape pod key, befuddles and upsets the crew, etc. To confound matters, very few people are aware that neuromods can be removed, and probably fewer that removal causes memory loss, so as a result Alex decides to just keep Morgan in the simulation.

Also, I believed Alex when he said he just wanted his brother/sister back. Morgan was experiencing some pretty significant personality drift so I can see Alex deciding to basically keep iterating on the tests until Morgan becomes him/herself again, then pulling them out at that time.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

turn off the TV posted:

One of the scientists in psychotronics is mind jacked by a telepath during a test and then proceeds to let at least one mimick out of containment. I believe that he's the one you can find in the trauma center.

Because Alex is an rear end in a top hat younger brother.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I think you will find that it is the older brother that is always the jerk, thank you very much. :colbert:

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

On the topic of picking your sex, black JC Denton is my canon JC.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

aniviron posted:

I think you will find that it is the older brother that is always the jerk, thank you very much. :colbert:

As an older brother myself this is pretty much true

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

dishwasherlove posted:

On the topic of picking your sex, black JC Denton is my canon JC.

I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

double nine posted:

Weird - last playthrough when I killed the named phantom Thorstein in hardware labs, November tuned in to say that "I had the sense he admired you". This time I get the comment that "I had the sense he resented you". I have no idea what's different about the playthroughs - I haven't put points into anything yet.
People have reloaded right outside that room and gotten different results. It's random.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

turn off the TV posted:

Oh, awesome. I must have missed the relevant text on that.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Also, as per the attempt to fix the voltage regulators, it's clear the containment protocols for Mimics just wasn't working, and a few have slipped the net previously. There's basically a few dotted around already that nobody has noticed simply because they've not tried to kill anyone.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Vib Rib posted:

Oh, awesome. I must have missed the relevant text on that.

You didn't, it's only explained in some comment in game files who that guy is and why he ended up where you find him, but not anywhere in audiologs/emails in game.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You're expected to put pieces together from what the logs give you - like how it never tells you outright that the fake chef is the subject of the log wondering about what a volunteer was going to do with contraband recyclers.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ghostlight posted:

You're expected to put pieces together from what the logs give you - like how it never tells you outright that the fake chef is the subject of the log wondering about what a volunteer was going to do with contraband recyclers.

not only is he that person, but i am pretty sure there's a bit of dialogue from the guy you save from the recycler warning you about a big scary guy who left him locked up in there and wouldn't help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Waitagoddamnminute.

I'm in the shuttle bay in the early-mid game, and I have my helmet on and get PA announcements that "oxygen levels critical, please seek breathing apparatus immediately".

How the hell is this flame still going?!

double nine fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 5, 2017