Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I think this little motor is ready for a rewinding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELO707Tr6l8

(This kills the stator. And that's a hi-pot test, so that can also carry a lethal amount of current into the tens of kilovolts range.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Three-Phase posted:

I think this little motor is ready for a rewinding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELO707Tr6l8

(This kills the stator. And that's a hi-pot test, so that can also carry a lethal amount of current into the tens of kilovolts range.)

I don't think I'd stand that close to the terrifying lightning machine

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I think that what they did was tie all the stator leads together (six sets of wires) and applied a high DC voltage between that and the chassis of the motor.

Generally with a successful hi-pot, you get extremely low (like microamps) of current leakage. If there's a problem you'll get much more. The problem with hi-pot (high potential) testing is that if there's a problem the hi-pot test can push the device over-the-edge to complete failure. I think the insulation was so forgone that it failed pretty spectacularly. At places like factories and plants and mills some of these motors have extremely hard lives.

Here's a 15kV spice that was made completely wrong. It failed so badly that it tripped off the hi-pot tester. Remember this isn't like 120V or 240V. This is 15,000 volts so there are things you need to do that are special for that kind of connection that many people aren't educated on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai_D0J99DW4

I love the conversation:
"It [the bad connection being tested] tripped the thermal overload."
"How often does that happen?"
"Never."

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 5, 2017

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
https://m.imgur.com/a/gTtV2

Happy 4th, everyone! :patriot:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Is that what I think that is?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Is that what I think that is?

Maybe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcoal-burning_suicide

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Hah, imgur comes through with another relevant pic linked off that:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Three-Phase posted:

Here's a 15kV spice that was made completely wrong. It failed so badly that it tripped off the hi-pot tester. Remember this isn't like 120V or 240V. This is 15,000 volts so there are things you need to do that are special for that kind of connection that many people aren't educated on.

I love the conversation:
"Never."

The worried "It's looking for a ground!" and then backing away quickly: we're they a lot closer to an arc than you ever want to be?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

quote:

The method is described as "easy and painless" compared to other suicide methods.[2] It is less painful than methods such as jumping from a high-rise building or cutting with a knife.[citation needed][opinion]

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wdarkk posted:

what the poo poo is going on here?Isn't this grounds to sue them the gently caress into the ground or is there some stupid "right to work" going on?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Unauthorized leave.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Three-Phase posted:

I think that what they did was tie all the stator leads together (six sets of wires) and applied a high DC voltage between that and the chassis of the motor.

Generally with a successful hi-pot, you get extremely low (like microamps) of current leakage. If there's a problem you'll get much more. The problem with hi-pot (high potential) testing is that if there's a problem the hi-pot test can push the device over-the-edge to complete failure. I think the insulation was so forgone that it failed pretty spectacularly. At places like factories and plants and mills some of these motors have extremely hard lives.

I love the conversation:
"Never."

I'll try to dig up a video of someone I know hi-pot testing a watermelon and a potato.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
*reads reason for firing*
*Recites daily pledge for thanking Providence I was not born in the USA*

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

oohhboy posted:

what the poo poo is going on here?Isn't this grounds to sue them the gently caress into the ground or is there some stupid "right to work" going on?

Probably for putting himself at risk against company policy.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Struensee posted:

Probably for leaving his register unmanned, against company policy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kidnapper was a valued customer, victim was a random person

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

oohhboy posted:

Using physical force against 3rd parties is a huge liability, and the US is the kind of place where the alleged kidnapper could sue and win.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

evil_bunnY posted:

Using physical force against 3rd parties is a huge liability, and the US is the kind of place where the alleged kidnapper could sue and win.

Is there actually a chance the alleged kidnapper could sue and win, though? Or did someone think there might be a chance and nobody wants to uncover their rear end long enough to say there isn't?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Moral of the story: If you're going to play hero, yell "I'M CLOCKING OUT!" before you jump on the kidnapper.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

GotLag posted:

Is there actually a chance the alleged kidnapper could sue and win, though? Or did someone think there might be a chance and nobody wants to uncover their rear end long enough to say there isn't?
There's a history of burglars suing for medical costs after being physically repulsed, IIRC.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

evil_bunnY posted:

There's a history of burglars suing for medical costs after being physically repulsed, IIRC.

That's why you finish what you start. Dead men can't sue. :rip:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Their family can (wrongful death), and the guv'ment probably will want to have a word as well

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

evil_bunnY posted:

Their family can

*ahem*

MariusLecter posted:

finish what you start

:madmax:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Was searching for another chemical and stumbled upon its buddy on sigma Aldrich:

gently caress man. gently caress.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Flammable liquid and vapor
Fatal if swallowed or in contact with skin

It's like a high-explosive variant of dimethyl mercury :stare:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm pretty sure it loses its "I'm gonna murder you and it's gonna hurt a lot" feature if you light it on fire. Assuming you don't light yourself on fire in the process.

I don't work with this material in particular. Just its buddy that also wants to murder you in horrific ways.

We could play the ghs hazard card guessing game! There's a ton of stuff at work with all sorts of hazards. This one in particulars very difficult imo.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Yeah that sounds like something that leaves "incompatible with life" style injuries.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Their family can (wrongful death), and the guv'ment probably will want to have a word as well

Not if you live in a state with Castle Doctrine :smug:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

Was searching for another chemical and stumbled upon its buddy on sigma Aldrich:

gently caress man. gently caress.

I look forward to the post where someone identifies this chemical nonchalantly as "Oh, yeah, this is <brand name> proppant".

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Cthulu Carl posted:

Not if you live in a state with Castle Doctrine :smug:

A man's Home Depot is his castle!

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

We could play the ghs hazard card guessing game! There's a ton of stuff at work with all sorts of hazards. This one in particulars very difficult imo.

Is it UDMH?

If it isn't, we can all be secure in knowing that UDMH is another thing that explodes and melts people in nasty (but stable) ways!

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

That's not as bad as it looks at a first glance. Look at the background by the fireplace. It looks like deck slats. I'm pretty sure they're on an outdoor deck that has a nice brick structure attached to it. That style of rug also appears to be an outdoor rug.

And a fire like that is using propane or natural gas, so it's pretty safe to use on a deck since it's going to burn cleanly and not throw out sparks and ash.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Those almost universally get dismissed. If the lawsuit isn't immediately tossed that's a good indication there's something else going on, like the homeowner was setting up mantraps or shot the burglar in the back.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Potential BFF posted:

Is it UDMH?

If it isn't, we can all be secure in knowing that UDMH is another thing that explodes and melts people in nasty (but stable) ways!

Jesus gently caress that's nasty but no. I reckon their methods of toxicity (not explodey) are similar though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wdarkk posted:

The only sources for this I've seen are Imgur and Reddit (which uses this image). With no corroboration from any credible news site, I'm calling this STDH.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Proteus Jones posted:

The only sources for this I've seen are Imgur and Reddit (which uses this image). With no corroboration from any credible news site, I'm calling this STDH.

Here's the original source: https://www.facebook.com/dillon.reagan

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Skippy McPants posted:

I'd bet there's been a Ghost Rider Sailor at some point. Surely one was a pirate or something?

If you can ride it, drive it, pilot it, or in any way attach yourself to it, that at some point a Ghost RIder has been on it, yes:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nice copied shark.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DrBouvenstein posted:

If you can ride it, drive it, pilot it, or in any way attach yourself to it, that at some point a Ghost RIder has been on it, yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tbhinmnik

Shameful omission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

The company on Svalbard that set up this scaffolding got a little creative. According to of the employees (who wishes to be anonymous), it is "very solid".

Anonymous employee posted:

It may not look that good, but the pallets are screwed together. It will never fall down.

Article in Norwegian

More pictures