Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gologle posted:

Why is FFV canon to the world of FFXIV

The events of FFV are a fairy tale within the world of FFXIV. Omega, the chief antagonist of this raid, creates simulacrums of the enemies from this story in order to test your strength, with the intention of observing the fights and making itself stronger through its observations.

A Great Big Bee! fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

In the same vein, the absolute madmen integrated the Desert of the Shifting Sands into a fight as a game mechanic.

XIV is well on its way into the position of the least worst Final Fantasy game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shame it's an MMO and thus eternally terrible

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gologle posted:

FF5 is canon to all the games in the series, fool

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
hell, ff12 is good

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
So if FF5 is semi-canon in FF14's universe, does the same apply for The After Years?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

So if FF5 is semi-canon in FF14's universe, does the same apply for The After Years?

Notably, there hasn't been very much related to FF4 in FF14. I'm willing to bet that they're holding off on at least some of it for a trip to the moon (which has been hinted at), or to have the four fiends as primals.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
FF14 Omega Raid Spoiler: It's actually a far greater reference to the Chocobo's Dungeon games than it is to FF5. Deltascape v3.0 drives this home with the grid-based attacks of Halicarnassus and the movement puzzle in the middle of the fight.

Spoilery video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC_C-F5_Ijs&t=278s

Varance fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 4, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

While there's definitely some Chocobo's Dungeon in there with Alpha being the most obvious thing, the Deltascape is absolutely an FF5 dungeon first and foremost and as mentioned the movement puzzle originates from FF5 as well.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Also here are the boss themes for anyone curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7o--E1ymUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65QbQEKIL88

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I wish they would make another Chocobo's Dungeon still need to play the one on the Wii.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Kanfy posted:

While there's definitely some Chocobo's Dungeon in there with Alpha being the most obvious thing, the Deltascape is absolutely an FF5 dungeon first and foremost and as mentioned the movement puzzle originates from FF5 as well.

In specific, this content pulls heavy from Chocobo's Dungeon 2, which features Omega, Jessie, Biggs, Wedge and Cid. Midgardsormr is filling in for the role that Bahamut had in the game. I wouldn't be surprised if Glass Goth is Omega's "ultimate creation," and I half expect Shirma (Chocobo's WHM buddy) to pop up eventually.

It's made pretty clear in the story content that this is it for the FF5 content and that the next raid in the series will be visiting another game in the series. If they stick with games that have Chocobo's Dungeon and Omega in common, the next scape should be either FF4, FF10, FF11 or FF13-themed (Chocobo's Dungeon always pulls heavily from 4 and 5, with a lot of 10 and 11 in the newer installments, but there hasn't been a new Chocobo's Dungeon game in a long time). FF12 content is probably reserved for the Return to Ivalice raids.

Can't wait to here Soken's take on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRTsIK8eiks

Varance fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 4, 2017

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mega64 posted:

FF14 is a strange nexus world of everything everybody loves about Final Fantasy. Canonically its even made out of FF fans' hopes and dreams at certain points.

So no.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Shame it's an MMO and thus eternally terrible

Finally somebody talking sense!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Electric Phantasm posted:

I wish they would make another Chocobo's Dungeon still need to play the one on the Wii.

God, me too. It'd make me so happy :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gologle posted:

Why is FF1 canon to the world of FF9

They can do whatever they want its a crazy time travelling magic science multiverse who cares

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm pretty sure either Dissidia or Record Keeper establishes that each game is its own separate universe, but leaks can happen in the form of, for example, one game's story being a fable in another game's world. FFXIV actually explores that a bit as well, IIRC there's a bunch of parallel/alternate reality stuff going on, which is how they've brought in stuff like the entire Crystal Tower/World of Darkness stuff, etc.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Gologle posted:

"The Void" can sum up any weird inter final fantasy poo poo happening in FFXIV. The way the game explains it is that there are other worlds/dimensions that are surrounded by void in the FFXIV universe and that things can leak out of it from them.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

I remember the first time I played FF 3/6 and thought that all the stuff about a war in the intro happened in an earlier game.

i'm playing ff3/6 right now but i've never actually played it inebriated so my rule is that i have to be really fuckin blazed when i'm playing it. it's almost as good as playing it for the first time, but also makes me wonder what it would've been like if i'd gotten it instead of ff2 as a kid.

also it makes me want to see a remake, except, like, static pre-rendered watercolor saga frontier 2-style environments and sprites to match. and the cutscenes would be animated like how they did war of the lions, except it'd be in that grungy 80s style, where some animes were trying to look a little more western/bakshi, i think that would capture the amano concept art pretty well

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

I remember the first time I played FF 3/6 and thought that all the stuff about a war in the intro happened in an earlier game.

I remember gaming magazines when FF8 info trickled out in Japanese had hilariously inaccurate information like "Squall is possibly the son of Tifa and Cloud" and the stuff about SEEDs was thought of as a Jenova reference

90s gaming magazines were less accurate than like a modern message board post

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I remember gaming magazines when FF8 info trickled out in Japanese had hilariously inaccurate information like "Squall is possibly the son of Tifa and Cloud" and the stuff about SEEDs was thought of as a Jenova reference

I'm pretty sure they just guessed because they had nothing to write about back then. I remember one mag said that Auron was a samurai with a broken arm in the previews to FFX.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I did it

I finally dodged 200 lightning bolts

Edit: happy 1987 page, the year FF1 came out.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

seiferguy posted:

I did it

You're free now.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

seiferguy posted:

I did it

Welcome to the emptiness. I think that was the moment when I felt like the game beat me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bloodychill posted:

Welcome to the emptiness. I think that was the moment when I felt like the game beat me.

i felt like ffx beat me when i realized i wasn't going to grind 64 +4 luck node spheres just to fight shinryu so i could grind a different type of sphere

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just played through the story and didn't care about any of that poo poo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
look man i was fifteen

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I didn't even play through the story the first time, I used my friends overpowered end of the game group, had him explain the plot, then beat the final boss and watched the end cutscene since YouTube didn't exist.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I got the three legendary weapons that had kind of reasonable requirements, and I beat Omega Weapon, and I grinded for a little bit just for the sake of Numbers Go Up, and that was good.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The difficulty jump from Omega Weapon's to Penance/Dark Aeons was insane.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
I platted FFX HD a few months ago because I am dumb, as well as beat the Goers in the tourney because I was already in hatefuck the minigames mode so why not. First file I got both Lulu and Wakka's Celestials on so that was neat I guess. I Zanmato'd Nemesis and Penance, no regrets.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Pay2Win

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kelp Me! posted:

I'm pretty sure either Dissidia or Record Keeper establishes that each game is its own separate universe, but leaks can happen in the form of, for example, one game's story being a fable in another game's world. FFXIV actually explores that a bit as well, IIRC there's a bunch of parallel/alternate reality stuff going on, which is how they've brought in stuff like the entire Crystal Tower/World of Darkness stuff, etc.

In FFXIV CT/WoD is part of the in-game history rather than parallel universe shenanigans.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

How do you handle Dark Yojimbo if you can't zanmato him.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

How do you handle Dark Yojimbo if you can't zanmato him.

In my experience you stop playing and never go back. I have a PS2 save file on a memory card somewhere with like 140 hours on it and everything except Dark Yojimbo, Dark Anima and Penance done.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I remember reading that article! It said Zell IIRC, which makes a little more sense (but not really). I recall being incredibly disappointed when the game released and clearly had no ties to the 7 story, at least for a couple years before I learned to accept it on its own terms.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I remember them seeing moombas and going:
"REDXIII WALKS NOW GUYS!"

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I remember reading that article! It said Zell IIRC, which makes a little more sense (but not really). I recall being incredibly disappointed when the game released and clearly had no ties to the 7 story, at least for a couple years before I learned to accept it on its own terms.

Do you have any idea which magazine it was? I kind of want to see it again and see how much of it was just pure made up bullshit

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Now this is some good marketing right here :3:

https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/882557600352657409

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The FFX ultimate weapon unlocks were the most unfun grind in the series for me, especially the lightning dodging one.