Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I can see Erfworld being somewhat tougher than average in terms of production because of how many references it makes and how integral to the setting those references are. On pages with high NPC density like Portal Park there's going to be a ton of subtle cameos and that probably takes a ton of extra passes to get right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

JuniperCake posted:

Not saying they've done everything perfectly but by the way you guys are reacting it seems you think that it's pretty trivial to sustain a comic for a long period of time and it's really not.

I didn't say trivial but I will absolutely stand by saying he is not very good at team or time management. Just the poo poo he describes in the post alone is enough to draw that conclusion. Yes it sucks he's felt like he had to sacrifice a lot of his life to get this poo poo done but it's also pretty clear he hasn't, for whatever reason, been learning the skills he should be learning to manage his time and his people better. And I mean, that isn't exactly a revelation about him, so whatever.

I won't die for not having a comic like Erfworld for two months and the dude is definitely allowed to have time to get married of all things. It is a pretty abrupt announcement though and the specifics he describes are just a little eyerolly that's all.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

quote:

brain/google-storming a funnier SFX gag than I put in the script, to evaluating 40 different tail placements on the same drat balloon and trying to decide which pixels are most important not to cover up.

meanwhile, it took more than one year (104 comics) between Wanda getting captured and escaping, a development that happened over less than two in-universe days.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
All this fuss over managing the artists is funny to me because I'd rather just have the text updates anyway. Always vaguely disappointed when we get a traditional comic because it's just never been a very interesting comic to look at IMO and the plot moves at even more of a snail's pace when drawn out panel by panel.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

That's wild, Erfworld has had some beautiful comics when Ye and Naguchi were illustrating.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
A two month hiatus isn't crazy. Remember how long the gap was when Xii left for the first time? Erfworld isn't exactly new to long breaks.

Erfworld has been producing high-quality comics on a regular update schedule for a while now, so I don't begrudge the staff wanting to take some time off.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So did he just decide not to gently caress with Fate after all or what?

Actually Wanda's not alone in wanting some clarity here, but this will make for entertaining speculation the next couple of months anyhow.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Zoe posted:

Actually Wanda's not alone in wanting some clarity here, but this will make for entertaining speculation the next couple of months anyhow.

My best guess is that whatever he did is so painful for Charlie that he's decided that actually killing him would be otiose.

NOTE: Charlie is a physical unit in a permanent state of incapacitation. Living in a city that hates him could be extremely unpleasant for him.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Charlie's not technically incapacitated, since incapacitated units can't take actions (he's casting spells all the time) and incapacitated units die at end of turn unless healed. He's just got the Signamancy of someone who is living thousands of turns past his expiration date.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

isndl posted:

Charlie's not technically incapacitated, since incapacitated units can't take actions (he's casting spells all the time) and incapacitated units die at end of turn unless healed. He's just got the Signamancy of someone who is living thousands of turns past his expiration date.

There are a variety of states called incapacitated, only some of them mean you croak unless healed.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Zoe posted:

I like the theory that he trapped Charlie's mind inside the doll, because it's "the Binding of Isaac". And also because "one turn, Charlie woke from troubled dreams to find himself transformed in the bedrock into a horrible doll".

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I feel like speculation is especially useless in this case because there's just not enough information to know much of anything for sure, and it's going to be awhile until we do.

But kind of hard not to! The 'Charlie is trapped in the doll' theory is probably the most interesting one, just feels like a bit of a stretch because that wasn't foreshadowed at all as a possibility in the story itself and the game reference is all we've got to go by.

Maybe Parson kills him by accidentally stepping on him on his way to go fight the awakened tower which is now the real Big Bad, who even knows. ( Okay I doubt it, but I really have wondered in the past how Parson is going to wind up killing him, given how directly, deliberately executing a paralyzed old man may be something difficult to put forward as Good Guy doing Good Thing.

isndl
May 2, 2012

reignonyourparade posted:

There are a variety of states called incapacitated, only some of them mean you croak unless healed.

Digging around it looks like you're correct, from one of the LIAB updates. All the other cases we've seen of incapacitation was heal-or-die. Did they ever explicitly say Charlie was incapacitated, or is it being inferred from his reliance on FFF to perform tasks?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

isndl posted:

Digging around it looks like you're correct, from one of the LIAB updates. All the other cases we've seen of incapacitation was heal-or-die. Did they ever explicitly say Charlie was incapacitated, or is it being inferred from his reliance on FFF to perform tasks?

Eh, you were actually still right on the "he can cast" thing from what I can tell, he shouldn't TECHNICALLY be incapacitated due to that.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

reignonyourparade posted:

Eh, you were actually still right on the "he can cast" thing from what I can tell, he shouldn't TECHNICALLY be incapacitated due to that.

He's carnied himself out of that restriction

It's recursive.

:v:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I was actually quoting Lilith's briefing to Parson on Charlie.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I think Isaac just "de-sided" the doll somehow, ripping out the string that connected it to Charlie. I very much doubt he's trapped inside it.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I was actually quoting Lilith's briefing to Parson on Charlie.

I can't find any mention of incapacitation in the briefing I assume you're talking about (LIAB Prologue 25). The wiki article on Charlie says he was incapacitated after Olive Branch attempted to poison him, but I couldn't find that in text update where the poisoning was mentioned (IPTSF Text 68). Is there another page I'm forgetting about somewhere?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
"Permanent incapacitation" are Lilith's words here.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I think Isaac just "de-sided" the doll somehow, ripping out the string that connected it to Charlie. I very much doubt he's trapped inside it.

That doesn't seem connected to the spell's trigger word, though. Charlie being trapped in there is a leap, but it fits with the Signamancy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The German word used for the spell means "metamorphosis" and notably is the original title to Kafka's story.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I mean, it would be a really weird anti-climax if, after all this plotting, alliance-making, and confusion, Charlie was completely neutralized offscreen.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Was there ever a stated reason for this hiatus? It's just been quiet for a couple weeks with no news.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

Was there ever a stated reason for this hiatus? It's just been quiet for a couple weeks with no news.

http://www.erfworld.com/blog/view/56532/art-team-change-and-hiatus

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Let's hope the new colorist is more subdued with shading.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

This is the art sampling from the "audition" they had awhile back. It looks like she uses more saturated colors and a brighter palette in general.

Pity, I like the second artist of that bunch the best.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

It looks like the Hiatus has been extended - http://www.erfworld.com/blog/view/56965/i-need-more-time

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

By the time he's going to be ready to end the comic, he'll need to find a replacement artist for the replacement artist that replaced the replacement artist.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

And Order of the Stick has recently started updating regularly again, for the first time in years.

Just asking, but has anybody ever seen Rich and Rob in the same room together? :tinfoil:

Voltraine
Feb 8, 2017

by Smythe

nimby posted:

By the time he's going to be ready to end the comic, he'll need to find a replacement artist for the replacement artist that replaced the replacement artist.
I had to tot up on my fingers to make sure this hadn't already happened.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

The hiatus has ended!

http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/276

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Just in time for the site to break.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Yay it's back!

Now just to spend some time refreshing my memory on what was even going on.

But I hope this doesn't mean it's now OotS' turn to slow to a crawl...

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So the obvious talking point is that Charlie's tower is now a fertility goddess who seems all about SHAKE UPS and CHANGE and doesn't have to follow orders at all from the control freak who sterilizes every hex around him for miles and is used to having nothing around him but female units who worship him, and there's not much he can do about it.

That should be interesting whenever he gets around to being conscious again.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Anyone care to take a guess on her name?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lucy is my guess.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Is it a generic fertility goddess? The tower has Easter Island features, which may hint at a connection with Jed.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Bruceski posted:

Lucy is my guess.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm coming in with a last-minute guess on Trish (the dish, to rhyme with Jed the head).

Meanwhile, it seems like whoever she is, the new Charlescomm tower has some Opinions on how Charles ought to be living his life.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I feel kind of lost. Why did the Thinkamancer hivemind decide to do this, again? Almost seems like they gave Charlie a parent-figure to keep him in line or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Bobulus posted:

I feel kind of lost. Why did the Thinkamancer hivemind decide to do this, again? Almost seems like they gave Charlie a parent-figure to keep him in line or something.

I'm going to go with "they want to make him miserable."

Note that Trish's first act seems likely to be "make Charlie go cold turkey."