Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i can confirm that all flavors of tron are a Good Matchup for Ponza

*ahem*

L0cke17 posted:

I'm feeling super apathetic after the miracles banning. None of the other control decks I've tried are nearly as fun or interesting. I've gone back to dabbling in Pyromancer decks, but I just can't bring myself to care about legacy at all when it feels like I wasted years of my life learning a deck that got banned. I need something to enjoy the format with again. Any suggestions?

Hi, welcome to the RUG Delver bracket. Nice to finally have someone else here.

Give up. The consensus at my store is that legacy is really bad now so we just play commander.

Let that sink in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Thoughtseize is way too prevalent in the rest of the format for a ban, and I don't think Wizards would ban a card that would affect things beyond the problem deck (though there have been exceptions, RIP Eye of Ugin). It would be like if Burn got too good and then they decided to ban Bolt. E: Voyager's example is better.

Basically it fails this test. Banning DS or Street Wraith would seem like a more logical call, I saw some pretty good Grixis Control lists floating around before people realized DS was good in that style of deck. But at the same time if I can beat your deck with Mill it is not banworthy IMO.

If anything puts tulle deck over the top, that isn't played in any other list it's: Stubborn Denial.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Just want to congratulate everyone on making it to page 69

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Jabor posted:

You don't see anyone calling for a Birds of Paradise ban though.

Well, yeah, "one mana planeswalker" and all... but in modern t2 lily, then just grinding out your opponent based around their discards with DRS / Lily going to work is pretty backbreaking against a lot of decks.

Elyv posted:

Iirc it was designed for standard, where it was a good but fair card.

I think you're right - wasn't the design to keep reanimator / snapcaster / flashback in check?

I was googling trying to find one of those development articles where they share the revisions for / discussions about the cards in playtesting because I swear I saw one about DRS, but I can't seem to find it. I did find a hilarious article by Sam Stoddard from May of 2015 though, my favorite bit below

quote:

Will we get it wrong from time to time? For sure. Our goal for Standard is only having to ban a card in Standard about once every ten years. It's not a zero percentage chance, but it's pretty low. We don't have any such stated goals for Modern, but we hope to get to a point where we don't need to ban cards with any regular frequency.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/development-risks-modern-2015-05-22

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

myDad posted:

Just want to congratulate everyone on making it to page 69

Nice.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

What, do you play U Tron?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TVsVeryOwn posted:

What, do you play U Tron?

It's what I'm known for.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Elyv posted:

Iirc it was designed for standard, where it was a good but fair card. There were no fetches in that standard, naturally.

DRS and LotV were two cards that really hit older formats much more than standard. They were exactly what development was trying to do: hit older formats without destroying standard.

I could see them banning Wraith next January. Grixis Shadow now is like a super fast version of Modern Grixis Control and Delver.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Mezzanon posted:

If anything puts tulle deck over the top, that isn't played in any other list it's: Stubborn Denial.

Ugh. Shut up. This is the best card in the deck. Don't tell WotC. I feel like banning this would hurt blue so badly for years to come, and I feel like its hard enough to find opportunity to counterspell things in many formats; there's a significant demographic of players who only enjoy playing counterspell decks, lets not chase them off.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Stubborn Denial is wildly unplayable in decks that aren't also playing 1 or 2 mana 4/X creatures. Also lol @ calling Death's Shadow a counterspell deck.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
It's not a counterspell deck, but it sure counters a lot of spells. Especially against Eldrazi Tron post sideboard.
I like Stubborn Denial around as an option for all kinds of different blue based creature decks. Stubborn with Goyf is something that should be an option available as well. A ban like Street Wraith if they decide GDS is necessitating a ban seems much better for not nerfing the amount of options in the format.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Happy to post on this page.

suicidesteve posted:

Give up. The consensus at my store is that legacy is really bad now so we just play commander.

Let that sink in.

:gonk:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
They shouldn't ban anything from Death's Shadow except Death's Shadow. It's like Grapeshot, it's not going to get played unless it's able to be broken. If they don't ban DS then every time they print a black value card that costs life, they'll have to consider the impact it'll have in DS decks. If they really want it gone, then just ban it and don't take out half the format to get there.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

I'm feeling super apathetic after the miracles banning. None of the other control decks I've tried are nearly as fun or interesting. I've gone back to dabbling in Pyromancer decks, but I just can't bring myself to care about legacy at all when it feels like I wasted years of my life learning a deck that got banned. I need something to enjoy the format with again. Any suggestions?

may I recommend W/r Parfait?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

may I recommend W/r Parfait?

I don't own enough moats! At least to play the 4 moat version.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

L0cke17 posted:

That's because all other control decks are garbage and you need to just play lands.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Shovelmint posted:

Ugh. Shut up. This is the best card in the deck. Don't tell WotC. I feel like banning this would hurt blue so badly for years to come, and I feel like its hard enough to find opportunity to counterspell things in many formats; there's a significant demographic of players who only enjoy playing counterspell decks, lets not chase them off.

As soon as I saw the first list playing Stubborn Denial all I could think was "this is what this deck does now" a 1-mana (essentially) hard counter. It's the reason for Grixis over Jund, and it is definitely the card that is secretly the best card in the deck.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Snappy is pretty nuts in the deck too.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Mezzanon posted:

As soon as I saw the first list playing Stubborn Denial all I could think was "this is what this deck does now" a 1-mana (essentially) hard counter. It's the reason for Grixis over Jund, and it is definitely the card that is secretly the best card in the deck.

It would be less hosed up if there were more creatures that could compete with the bodies that Grixis Shadow throws down, but when the 1-mana 4/5 value engine is your weakest creature there aren't a whole lot of problems that Stubborn Denial can't solve.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Voyager I posted:

It would be less hosed up if there were more creatures that could compete with the bodies that Grixis Shadow throws down, but when the 1-mana 4/5 value engine is your weakest creature there aren't a whole lot of problems that Stubborn Denial can't solve.

Realistically if they were to ban a card street wraith should go. An enabler that replaces itself and speeds the deck up. I'm not for banning anything but if they do that's the enabler right there.

I also wouldn't mind just getting rid of every delve card. It's a busted mechanic.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Realistically if they were to ban a card street wraith should go. An enabler that replaces itself and speeds the deck up. I'm not for banning anything but if they do that's the enabler right there.

I also wouldn't mind just getting rid of every delve card. It's a busted mechanic.

Except tombstalker. That card was sweet and not broken for years. The ones that cost 1 may have been a bit of a mistake.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Alright which one of you is this-
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/instant-deck-tech-marvelous-dragonstorm-modern

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

That man's voice is the equivalent of this:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

The Sexual Shiite posted:

That man's voice is the equivalent of this:

Didn't know they had updated The Big Book of British Smiles.

Don't ban anything from death's shadow yet please.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Just ban every Khans delve card that isn't Murderous Cut in every format.

Or just ban Khans in every format. Didn't do anything good anywhere.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ban all formats that aren't Vintage or Cube Draft.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Just ban every Khans delve card that isn't Murderous Cut in every format.

Or just ban Khans in every format. Didn't do anything good anywhere.

please don't ban set adrift

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

will of the naga did nothing wrong

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Just play Commit // Memory and Torrential Gearhulk like a real man.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Please show me a list that plays set adrift and is good. I love taking away people's draws. Plow under is the best cube card.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

eSporks posted:

Ban all formats that aren't Vintage or Cube Draft.

:yeah:

But I also like EDH and Modern and sometimes even Standard, and also drafting.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Shovelmint posted:

Please show me a list that plays set adrift and is good. I love taking away people's draws. Plow under is the best cube card.

i mean im not going to go look it up but UR Delver in legacy plays it every now and again to answer chalice or leyline or other random poo poo that is bad for them, which is basically any resolved permanent

if you meant modern grixis death's shadow then i have no idea, i only play joke decks in that dumb format

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Shovelmint posted:

I run it in the SB of my Mill deck as a catch-all answer to tricky permanents (like Chalice), since I'm milling myself a fair amount with Mesmeric Orb too. Plus you can be a prick and Set Adrift something and then mill right afterwords to bin the card in question.

Now, "is good"? Depends on who you ask.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Its your best answer to a Leyline of Sanctity as mill, yeah

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

:yeah:

But I also like EDH and Modern and sometimes even Standard, and also drafting.
The only reason you like EDH is because its fun to play sick rear end cards, which you can do in cube! No one like standard, quit fooling yourself. As for drafting, see cube.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I like commander because you get to do stupid things like cast Purphoros then cast Rise of the Dark Realms and do 28 to everybody.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I liked commander before my playgroup got more competitive. Kiki-Jiki does a bunch of cool, fun things when he isn't just winning the game the moment he gets chorded out.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
The largest issue with commander is if you have enough people to play edh why aren't you running cube instead

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

I like commander because you get to do stupid things like cast Purphoros then cast Rise of the Dark Realms and do 28 to everybody.

I always liked playing porporopphphoss and then dumping everything into marath and making a billion dudes with gaias cradle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

The largest issue with commander is if you have enough people to play edh why aren't you running cube instead

Because getting people to spend 4 hours cubing is a lot harder than getting them to spend 30-40 minutes on a game of commander.