Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

oh good someone re-did the numbers so i can be a lazy piece of poo poo. looks like losing is ~71.5% of winning exp.

since the oforums are loving garbage and i can't even log in to them, if someone wants to post and give this dude my chart so he can grab the dungeon @ 110% exp numbers that'd be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Delta 1 is a bit too entry level
Delta 2 is obtuse but probably extremely easy when you understand it
Delta 3 is awesome. So many interesting mechanics.
Delta 4 is great but not as good as 3.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

EponymousMrYar posted:

Considering how Fordola uses theirs when they get one I imagine Garlean gunblades come standard with that pistol shot, Innocence (the three blade swipe) and the delayed sword beams.

They definitely seem to be starting to create a distinctive 'style' for Gunblade users. Were I to guess the actual class, I imagine it would be 'Magitek Knight' or something like that, which is pretty damned iconic for FF even if it wasn't always CALLED that.

Another common element seems to be the use of bits for a line attack.

EDIT:

Considering that Garlemald is home to NATURAL Cerulium deposits, I suspect we are going to find out more about this stuff as time goes on.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 5, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Alright, is there any good advice for dodging AOEs in this game aside from just "reflexes"? I just caused like, three wipes healing Titan because of that drat Landslide. I feel like movement is tricky, and it seemed like I dodged a few that ended up hitting me. I know about the cast bar not matching the animation, but should I be turning and running forward? Sidestepping? Or do I just need to practice until I get it down?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Magitek Knight? I mean, I can see us learning garlemald's fighting style and magic replacement if we actually go there. Hell, if Nero stays on Garlond Ironworks, he could share a thing or two about the fighting style.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Intoluene posted:

Magitek Knight? I mean, I can see us learning garlemald's fighting style and magic replacement if we actually go there. Hell, if Nero stays on Garlond Ironworks, he could share a thing or two about the fighting style.

Getting job quests from Nero would be basically amazing.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

LordHippoman posted:

Alright, is there any good advice for dodging AOEs in this game aside from just "reflexes"? I just caused like, three wipes healing Titan because of that drat Landslide. I feel like movement is tricky, and it seemed like I dodged a few that ended up hitting me. I know about the cast bar not matching the animation, but should I be turning and running forward? Sidestepping? Or do I just need to practice until I get it down?

Switch the keybinds for turning and stafing you're on mouse and keyboard. Make turn q and e while strafe is on a and d. Holding the right mouse button helps keep the camera in place as well.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I hope Magitek Knight is just a tech-flavoured version of Mystic Knight. Fire IV gunblade :black101:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

O2 seemed incredibly straightforward to me, but maybe I rotate my camera more than most people.

Also having played old FF games actually is a bit relevant there.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

nuru posted:

O2 seemed incredibly straightforward to me, but maybe I rotate my camera more than most people.

Also having played old FF games actually is a bit relevant there.

Yeah I don't know either. The only tricky one is the "Stand in the center" one and you just have to swing down once to see "Oh this pattern means go here."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Intoluene posted:

Switch the keybinds for turning and stafing you're on mouse and keyboard. Make turn q and e while strafe is on a and d. Holding the right mouse button helps keep the camera in place as well.

That's not really going to change anything, you're just changing where your finger is to do it while also loving with existing muscle memory.

You'll eventually learn when the dodge mechanics are going to happen in Titan, it's all on a strict rota. It's reflex, pretty much, but when you can anticipate when you have to dodge, you take basically all of the reflex out.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Intoluene posted:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You'll eventually learn when the dodge mechanics are going to happen in Titan, it's all on a strict rota. It's reflex, pretty much, but when you can anticipate when you have to dodge, you take basically all of the reflex out.

Tried this out on a second run, worked like a charm and got through wipeless. The motions feel a little more natural with the bindings swapped, but knowing "It's probably coming now." helped me prioritize when to pop heals n' such. Thanks for the tips.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

With a mouse and keyboard why do people even keep "turn" keys bound?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Like seriously. I hold right mouse button like 99% of the time and use camera to turn my character. I imagine legacy controls would be faster when you don't have to turn camera but I can manage AOEs doing this even on 200 ping.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

nuru posted:

I unbound strafe keys, and switched to legacy controls and it owns a lot. Now dumb slow backpedal. Can play the whole game without even touching the mouse, though it is a bit unwieldy.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

LordHippoman posted:

Tried this out on a second run, worked like a charm and got through wipeless. The motions feel a little more natural with the bindings swapped, but knowing "It's probably coming now." helped me prioritize when to pop heals n' such. Thanks for the tips.
The other trick with Titan in particular, is having everyone stand immediately behind him to bait landslides and weights. People get complacent outside of synced extreme Titan, but at all difficulties its a much saner fight if people aren't dropping aoes all over the place.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm in! :toot:

Ularg fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 5, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

homeless snail posted:

The other trick with Titan in particular, is having everyone stand immediately behind him to bait landslides and weights. People get complacent outside of synced extreme Titan, but at all difficulties its a much saner fight if people aren't dropping aoes all over the place.

Yeah, it seemed simpler once I just started standing behind him instead of to the side. Could still heal the tank, and I had a little extra Landslide warning with him turning around.

...Still got hit once. But hey, three successful kills now. :toot: Looking forward to the next Primal.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

nuru posted:

Spinning ranger pose emotes.

Truga posted:

Now dumb slow backpedal. Can play the whole game without even touching the mouse, though it is a bit unwieldy.

It's not exactly useful, but you can use it to fine tune positioning in tight AOE mechanics. And it's fun to barely cross over a line and then back step into a sage zone like in Dun Scaith boss 1 or Bardam's

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 5, 2017

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I have to admit, Nero has gone from "who is this rear end in a top hat" to my favorite character and having him as a future class master would be amazing.

My previous favorite characters included Moenbryda and Haurchefant.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Givin posted:

My previous favorite characters included Moenbryda

Okay real question here: Why? She was in like 1 patch and had really 0 interesting things to add the the cast or setting. Hell even the whole "Secret Scion who's Yda's best friend and Urianger's GF out of nowwhere" just helped seal her fate as "Actually unimportant character but we're about to kill her off so we need to make some cheap cheap pathos." dead meat.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

She had a good VA iirc, and she helped develop characters who at that point had very little personality of their own. That's ignoring that she carried a huge axe.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

nuru posted:

Why do people bind poo poo to number keys past 5?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Arzachel posted:

Because I use an mmo mouse. It works for me at least.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ularg posted:

I'm in! :toot:

ayyyy i just got on excalibur tonight too

:hfive:

looking forward to seeing how populated the server gets come mid day

edit: assuming people frequent the starter towns at all. i'm new to the game so i literally have no idea if ffxiv has a dalaran equivalent that all current content people hang out at

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 5, 2017

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Okay real question here: Why? She was in like 1 patch and had really 0 interesting things to add the the cast or setting. Hell even the whole "Secret Scion who's Yda's best friend and Urianger's GF out of nowwhere" just helped seal her fate as "Actually unimportant character but we're about to kill her off so we need to make some cheap cheap pathos." dead meat.

She was more useful than all the other scions combined for her brief, beautiful existence at the time. Besides which, the only character in this whole stupid game who even functions as a character is Alphinaud. Everyone else is essentially a 1-note cardboard cut-out with less depth than the 2.0 blm rotation. Moenbryda has exactly the same amount of depth and personality as Thancred, Y'shtola, Papalymo, and barely less than Yda despite just finishing an entire expansion that was theoretically supposed to heavily feature her developing and evolving as a character but then... didn't.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

She was more useful than all the other scions combined for her brief, beautiful existence at the time. Besides which, the only character in this whole stupid game who even functions as a character is Alphinaud. Everyone else is essentially a 1-note cardboard cut-out with less depth than the 2.0 blm rotation. Moenbryda has exactly the same amount of depth and personality as Thancred, Y'shtola, Papalymo, and barely less than Yda despite just finishing an entire expansion that was theoretically supposed to heavily feature her developing and evolving as a character but then... didn't.

She was useful by coming up with the bright and amazing plan of "What if we hit them with a really big aetherial stick?" She was a nothing character without the hope of development because her backstory might as well have read "A traveling seer told me I'd die young and also I'm a week from retirement and thinking about asking my boyfriend to marry me."

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Intoluene posted:

Mmo mice and those Logitech numpad things I can understand, but the default binds are awful.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Arzachel posted:

I've played Piano all my life so the 1 to = are really easy for me to reach with one hand quickly.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I've played piano all my life and I *still* don't go past 6.

LordHippoman posted:

Something that may not be immediately obvious, and contrasts from WoW: If you're in the bad when the cast timer finishes, it doesn't matter if you got out between the cast bar finishing and the hit landing, you're going to be hit. That said, Titan is kind of heinous as far as those kinds of fights go.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Kaubocks posted:

ayyyy i just got on excalibur tonight too

:hfive:

looking forward to seeing how populated the server gets come mid day

edit: assuming people frequent the starter towns at all. i'm new to the game so i literally have no idea if ffxiv has a dalaran equivalent that all current content people hang out at

I'm really loving the cities in this game. Especially when I get to run around doing these mostly fetch quests. Just a lot of stuff to see and do.

I'm already having some waves of sadness over not playing FF11 more back in the day. Only ever played a trial version but wished I spent more time on it and was a little older then, since it seems like I'm able to appreciate games way more as I get older.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Intoluene posted:

:hfive: Not sure I could get on without one nowadays

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I got a nice surprise in the mail. Rewards from the last time I played a few months, including a ton of refer-a-friend rewards. I can't remember which goon got to refer me, but I hope he's doing well.

Edit: I got a few rewards like the appearance change potion. Is there a safer place like a vault I can store these instead of hanging in my inventory?

Ularg fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 5, 2017

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Retainers function like banks and are unlocked... relatively early in. Level 15ish along the main quest?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ularg posted:

I got a nice surprise in the mail. Rewards from the last time I played a few months, including a ton of refer-a-friend rewards. I can't remember which goon got to refer me, but I hope he's doing well.

Edit: I got a few rewards like the appearance change potion. Is there a safer place like a vault I can store these instead of hanging in my inventory?

FF14's "bank" are your retainers, they're locked by story quests. I think you have to beat the level 20 quest for them to become available in the main cities' market areas.

They hold items like a bank, you sell items on the market board through your retainers, and each (you can have two, more if you pay an additional monthly fee) can be customized and leveled in a gathering or combat class you have levels in, then bring you materials and random items.

Also, some items (usually seasonal event- and some veteran rewards) can be stored in the armoire in an inn room. Not fantasia potions, though.

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 5, 2017

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Just lamenting that we had to trade Thancred's shred of a character so Yda could... become not much. He didn't even comment on her skimpy outfit!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Asimo posted:

Retainers function like banks and are unlocked... relatively early in. Level 15ish along the main quest?

orcane posted:

FF14's "bank" are your retainers, they're locked by story quests. I think you have to beat the level 20 quest for them to become available in the main cities' market areas.

They hold items like a bank, you sell items on the market board through your retainers, and each (you can have two, more if you pay an additional monthly fee) can be customized and leveled in a gathering or combat class you have levels in, then bring you materials and random items.

Also, some items (usually seasonal event- and some veteran rewards) can be stored in the armoire in an inn room. Not fantasia potions, though.

Thanks guys, y'all rule.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I really hope the next two chunks of Omega aren't all FFV related. I appreciate that it's fanservice but I haven't played that game and I feel like I'm missing out a whole bunch! I love Omega itself though and the Tournament of Power poo poo we've got going on is extremely my jam.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

itskage posted:

How do I do big pulls as SCH?

First of all, If Eos isn't on Obey, fix that.

Second, you want to put Adlo and Eye on. You also want them at max effectiveness. So, do Largesse and Fey Illumination prior to the cast, as that will make a noticably difference. Also do Deployment Tactics catching as many people as possible. It's free AoE healing you don't have to do later.

Then, you're going to want to do Miasma/Bio 2/Shadowflare/Bane. While this is happening, Rouse a Whispering Dawn. All of this combined should keep the tank up for the time it takes to set those all in.

About when Whispering Dawn is ending is when you'll want to consider Excogiation. It's a bit of a judgment call on the precise timing. Too early and it might never fire. Too late and you're doing a slightly stronger Lustrate with no crit chance. Practice makes perfect here.

Finally, don't mindlessly Emergency Tactics your Adlo. The Embrace AI only uses it once someone drops below 80%, so 70% HP with Adlo shield is far better than 90% HP. If your tank is a Dark Knight, this goes triply: Emergency Adlo can mean the difference between a successful Living Dead and not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I like missiles, lasers, giant robots, and orbs.