Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
For future reference if there's a random drug test, you know that really dangerous situation you've known about but no one fixes? Get hurt with it and maybe break a bone if it involves falling and walla you get rushed out and receive workmans comp instead of that pee test. If it's an office at least cut yourself with a box cutter, just make sure you cut yourself really bad, that's the key. You could fake a seizure instead but that's way too much acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Or just pour microwaved diet coke into the piss cup. They'll be none the wiser.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

Elsa posted:

For future reference if there's a random drug test, you know that really dangerous situation you've known about but no one fixes? Get hurt with it and maybe break a bone if it involves falling and walla you get rushed out and receive workmans comp instead of that pee test. If it's an office at least cut yourself with a box cutter, just make sure you cut yourself really bad, that's the key. You could fake a seizure instead but that's way too much acting.

This is terrible advice as most industrial/manufacturing sites require an immediate piss test of everyone involved in any kind of major work place injury or company owned equipment or car accident. I think in some states its even mandated if worker's comp is involved.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

mkultra419 posted:

This is terrible advice

:agreed:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Use regular coke instead, say you got diabetes from office donuts, get workers comp. I am the greatest criminal genius of my generation.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
It's still less terrible than going on a coke bender all weekend and then sleeping on the drive home

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Pedo goon do you live in Africa

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

KomodoWagon posted:

Pirate eyepatches aren't for missing eyes, you uncultured dickheads. It's so your one eye is accustomed to the dark for when you go below deck.

Boths eye are always equally dilated. You cannot have one eye "accustomed " to the dark without the other eye being equally "accustomed" to it.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Elsa posted:

It's still less terrible than going on a coke bender all weekend and then sleeping on the drive home

I smoke some weed, ok I had some shrooms, oh and probably some other stuff because I'm being vague in my anon confession. Ok fine I also got tired from all that so with my wife and kids(s) in the car I did lines of coke off the steering wheel to stay awake.

The real takeaway here is how much it sucks that my office random drug tested me. I sure haven't learned to not do drugs while driving my presumed loved ones around, the only negative here is my job my be taken from me.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

If you come back clean with in a couple days then they may chalk it up to some sort of weird contamination. From my experience, when companies usually do this it's to fire a very select person, but they have to check everyone to make it fair.

Given the confession, that very select person is probably the confessor himself

My goondolences, friend, but you're hosed

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

I smoke some weed, ok I had some shrooms, oh and probably some other stuff because I'm being vague in my anon confession. Ok fine I also got tired from all that so with my wife and kids(s) in the car I did lines of coke off the steering wheel to stay awake.

The real takeaway here is how much it sucks that my office random drug tested me. I sure haven't learned to not do drugs while driving my presumed loved ones around, the only negative here is my job my be taken from me.

you deserve everything that's coming to you and your family

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

I knew a kid in high school who allegedly chugged a bottle of canola oil to flush his system before a drug test.
He allegedly threw up and it allegedly didn't work.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
A friend of mine sold her pee to a junkie at a petrol station late one Sunday. Didn't bother to mention that she was high as gently caress on ecstasy and had been doing fat lines of coke all day.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
A friend of mine in college had a glass eye (from some kind of childhood illness). We went to the local Renaissance Faire once (because we're loving nerds), and he wore an eyepatch and took out the glass eye. One of the Ren Faire people started giving him poo poo: "you don't really need an eyepatch, you're just faking..." He flipped up the eyepatch, revealing his empty eye socket. "...oh."

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Viva Miriya posted:

you deserve everything that's coming to you and your family

Too many layers deep here.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Improbable Lobster posted:

Boths eye are always equally dilated. You cannot have one eye "accustomed " to the dark without the other eye being equally "accustomed" to it.
No way, man. Try it tonight in the dark -- lie on your side, close one eye and smush it into the pillow while dicking around on your phone with the other eye. When you turn your phone off and look around one eye at a time, the pillow eye will have night vision while the phone one won't.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

Too many layers deep here.

e: i'm dumb af, you aren't that goon

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 4, 2017

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Viva Miriya posted:

e: i'm dumb af, you aren't that goon

An admission of error? What the gently caress is this poo poo?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Piss tests aren't super reliable anyway. Look up a otc drug that shows up false positive for whatever you were on and muddy the waters a bit, then demand a retest because those things seriously have like 10% failure rate.

Congress banned forcing people to take polygraph tests for employment because the polygraph is so unreliable. I don't know why they let employment drug testing continue because it's the same story.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Anne Whateley posted:

No way, man. Try it tonight in the dark -- lie on your side, close one eye and smush it into the pillow while dicking around on your phone with the other eye. When you turn your phone off and look around one eye at a time, the pillow eye will have night vision while the phone one won't.

Both eyes are always equally dilated

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Improbable Lobster posted:

Then I must be some sort of mutant because I just tried it out for good measure and I totally can

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-hMnPREi1w&t=90s

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

KomodoWagon posted:

Then I must be some sort of mutant because I just tried it out for good measure and I totally can

Again, both eyes are equally dilated at all times. Your eyes are never dilated differently, barring a significant eye or head injury.

What's happening is that your brain is trying to compensate for the differing light levels by dilating your eyes more or less than they would be if one was uncovered.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 4, 2017

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
But the eye I'd kept covered was very remarkably better at seeing in the dark. It might be the brain rather than the eye but the eyepatch thing would still work. For me, at least.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

improbable lobster is probably wrong-ster

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

KomodoWagon posted:

But the eye I'd kept covered was very remarkably better at seeing in the dark. It might be the brain rather than the eye but the eyepatch thing would still work. For me, at least.

Congrats on your anisocoria 

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Incoherence posted:

A friend of mine in college had a glass eye (from some kind of childhood illness). We went to the local Renaissance Faire once (because we're loving nerds), and he wore an eyepatch and took out the glass eye. One of the Ren Faire people started giving him poo poo: "you don't really need an eyepatch, you're just faking..." He flipped up the eyepatch, revealing his empty eye socket. "...oh."

How did he take out the glass eye? Reach in from the front or try and shake it out?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

VanSandman posted:

An admission of error? What the gently caress is this poo poo?

ok guy

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How did he take out the glass eye? Reach in from the front or try and shake it out?
He could just pop it out from the front, I think. He had a couple of them for different occasions.

Descend to slumber
May 12, 2001

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah this poo poo works because of a protein called "Rhodopsin" that is destroyed by light, but while active makes your rods more effective.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodopsin

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I hate when that happens.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

mkultra419 posted:

This is terrible advice

Also the word is "voila," it's French, "walla" just makes you look like a loving moron

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

Sup thread, first time caller long time lurker so let's get down to it. It's a bit of a read, mainly because I need to let all of this out, so bear with me please.

Last Friday night I did something I never thought I'd have to do: call the police on my own step-dad. Why? Because he did something I thought would never happen: pull a gun on my mother and I. Really the only reason he ended up doing it is because I finally snapped when he started abusing her again, and decided to intervene. Note: There is a history of abuse, but nothing was ever reported. We do have neighbors that have witnessed this behavior as well. On top of that, his first marriage was exactly the same, according to his side of the family.

Granted, there had been a bit of pent up rage on my end from the week, so my "intervening" was probably less "get in between them and keep them separated" and more "gently caress it go ham and start pounding my dad for even daring to touch my mom." There was a bit of a struggle, mainly my mom trying to prevent me from really hurting him and putting myself in a serious criminal situation, me trying to get at him, and him trying to get back at me. I broke free, realizing that this was not going to stop, and started looking for my phone to call the police, and they were fighting/struggling in the other room because he was making the move to go get his gun. My mom told me so, and I made sure to put some distance between him and me. Didn't work out, he got near me with the gun pointed at me, at which point instinct kicked in and I grabbed the barrel of the revolver to keep it away from me. We struggled, with him pinning me to the washing machine and actually managing to get the barrel pointed at my stomach. I broke free again, made the call, and kept my distance while the police were on their way. It was especially hard since my mom was still in the same room with him and the whole time I was fearing for her life. Eventually the cops showed up, I made my way outside with my hands in the air, explaining that I was unarmed, that I had made the call, full cooperation with them. They took over, made sure my mother and I were unharmed, took my stepdad into custody, got statements and reports from all of us, then took him for processing and left us in the house. The officer who took our statements said that because he had pulled the gun on us, it was an automatic felony assault charge in our state, regardless of whether the gun was loaded or not (it wasn't).

Why did this all happen? Mainly because of me. There has been this mutual, verbal agreement between all of us that I would be staying with them until my sister began college this fall. So as that time gets closer, my dad has been more insistent on getting me "out of his house." And no, I haven't been slacking; I've been looking at apartments and pricing, and have a majority of my stuff packed up, but moving like that isn't something that can be done at the drop of a hat, something that he refused to understand.

My mom was a nervous wreck all weekend, she's scared of what's going to happen to him, and what's going to happen when they release him (officer said he was going to request high-bond/no bond on him to make it harder for him to be released; and we have an emergency protective order ordering him to not come near us). I spent all weekend justifying my actions to myself, tearing myself apart because it was either respecting him by not touching him, or respecting my mom by coming to her defense. Obviously, this accelerates my plans to move, and also complicates it because now I need to bring my mother with me, because I am not going to let her keep staying with him if he's released soon. She's accepted the fact that the relationship is over and that she needs to get the ball rolling on divorce proceedings. So we're in the process of all that, of finding an apartment for the two of us, and I'm going to look for a second job to save up some cash for a down payment on a house because I'll be damned if I let my mother, who has spent her entire life working hard to provide for my sister and I, to end up spending the rest of her life at the mercy of goddamn rent agreements. It's gonna be hard, but she and I will come out of this relatively clean. My sister is somewhat ok, as she'll be staying on campus for school, and readily accepted that our family is going to be different now.

My main issue right now, though, is that I'm starting to feel a pang of guilt in the back of my head for my actions that resulted in my dad, a man who raised me from age 5, being in custody, and possibly having his life ruined because of a stupid thing that he did. And at his age, it's going to be a lot harder for him to recover because he's mostly relied on my mother or I to help him with stuff like job hunting, bills, and the like. My mom feels the same way but with a bit more intensity. I keep telling myself that I shouldn't worry about him because it was a decision he made, but at the same time I do feel bad for the man. I'm going to get therapy eventually, once we're settled and out of the danger, and I'm going to encourage my sister and my mom to do the same.

TL;DR - called cops on my dad because he pulled a gun on me after I tried to defend my mom from being abused again, feel bad for doing so even though I was told by police and friends that it was the proper thing to do; therapy will be a thing, but at a later date; just venting and looking for an objective opinion, feel free to tear into me as you see fit.

Genesis_No_Son_Of_Mine.mp3

Anyway, if your account is accurate you did nothing wrong. There is a reason pulling a gun on someone is an automatic felony assault charge, and doing it was entirely on him. Glad he's out of your life :) Good luck with the apartment search and saving etc.

quote:

My grandfather passed away at the ripe old age of 103 earlier this summer.

My confession is I hope he's burning in hell.

He was a piece of poo poo basically from birth until death. Happily told us stories about growing up and lighting black people's homes on fire to run them out of town. One of his favorite stories is the time he "beat up a Chinaman" and smashed his teeth in with a baseball bat. Why'd he beat this guy up? Because that man had the audacity to want to start a life in the USA.

He served in WW2 and told us all the time about destroying artwork he found in houses, having his way with civilian girls, and shooting a British solider in the back for "being a queer".

He came back home and married my grandma. He beat the poo poo out of her, made her do all the chores, and he drank himself into a stupor every day. My dad was born in '55, and grandpa sure did beat the poo poo out of him too. Never went to jail, this was small town Alabama and the man of the house was always right.

He fought against women's rights and de-segregation. He loved the story of turning a fire hose on some black kids and "trying to get their skin lily-white". A bunch of women's rights activists protested at the nearby college, grandpa drove by and threw dirty laundry at them and told them they all needed "a good loving" to calm down.

My dad finally got the gently caress out of Alabama and married my mom and gave birth to me in the 80s. We saw grandpa once a year, max, and it was awful. He lived in a lovely home and forbade grandma from doing much more than just cleaning the house up. He never sent us presents for Christmas or birthdays, he'd just tell us we were going to hell for not attending church twice a week.

Grandma died in the late 90s and he just got weirder and more twisted. Started telling stories about society falling apart because of the "immigants" despite the fact that his own grandparents came from Ireland. Told us insane stories about black people living in the walls in his house and stealing his food. Sent Dad emails every week until his death telling us we needed to go to Church and that Trump was fixing the problems that "the mulatto muslim" caused.

Fucker finally died of a stroke. We went to the funeral and he even looked pissed off in his casket. Dad took us out to celebrate afterward.

yikes

yeah can't say I disagree with you on this

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Descend to slumber posted:

Yeah this poo poo works because of a protein called "Rhodopsin" that is destroyed by light, but while active makes your rods more effective.

This is great, thanks!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeesh, I hope they buried Grandpa deep :stare:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Descend to slumber posted:

That's cool as hell! I always thought adapting to night vision was a purely neural thing, like your brain just turned the gain up or down on the optic nerve as needed.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

loquacius posted:

yikes

yeah can't say I disagree with you on this
Sometimes people wonder whatever happened to the white people who are in pictures from civil rights protests harassing the protesters. I guess we found one, and the answer is "he's still super loving racist".

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Danaru posted:

Yeesh, I hope they buried Grandpa deep :stare:

Tramp that loving dirt down

Gungoon, I'm really glad that all considered that situation turned out alright. You absolutely did the right thing standing up for your mum, good luck going forward

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Incoherence posted:

Sometimes people wonder whatever happened to the white people who are in pictures from civil rights protests harassing the protesters. I guess we found one, and the answer is "he's still super loving racist".

I do too! They sometimes track down people in famous pictures, like the black kids sitting at a segregated lunch counter. That's interesting, but I'd also like to hear about the racist whose face is contorted by hate, screaming at them. Did they ever change? Realise they were wrong? Carry on being awful people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

therattle posted:

Carry on being awful people?

This is 100% the case, always. People don't improve.