Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I really hope the next two chunks of Omega aren't all FFV related. I appreciate that it's fanservice but I haven't played that game and I feel like I'm missing out a whole bunch! I love Omega itself though and the Tournament of Power poo poo we've got going on is extremely my jam.

It'll probably be a different final fantasy title since we got Exdeath. I actually kinda hope for Safer Sephiroth as an Omega fight even if I'm not a huge fan of FF7. Supernova would look kickass. Necron would be real interesting to see as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Intoluene posted:

I actually kinda hope for Safer Sephiroth as an Omega fight even if I'm not a huge fan of FF7.

I did not know that was what the One Winged Angel fight was called. Wow.

Tell me, why is he safer?

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Regarding Omega:

I want to fight some good guys. But as Cid is speculating, there's probably a reason why Omega can't or won't create them.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Finally finished Heavensward. It was a bit satisfying to hear the first Stormblood quest accepted fanfare.

I'm going to bed now. :negative:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ither posted:

Regarding Omega:

I want to fight some good guys. But as Cid is speculating, there's probably a reason why Omega can't or won't create them.

Omega tells you flat out. There are heroes that appear and are otherwise unremarkable but are somehow able to defeat much stronger foes. It doesn't understand that the echo and blessing of light are what have powered the heroes.

So if he cloned us, per se, that image wouldn't be near as capable as the WoL because Omega cannot recreate the echo

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Ither posted:

Regarding Omega:

I thought it's because it wasn't logical? The heroes only win against insurmountable odds through "miracles" created by exposure to certain stresses - which Omega then goes on to experiment with by hurting Biggs and Wedge. So possibly Omega can't create heroes who have the power of emotions or whatever?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Omega request/hope Interdimensional fighting tournament means Gilgamesh right?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Count Bleck posted:

I did not know that was what the One Winged Angel fight was called. Wow.

Tell me, why is he safer?

quote:

Sepher (סֶפֶר) is Hebrew for "book".
The boss's name as written in Japanese is "セーファ・セフィロス", or "Sēfa Sefirosu"; "safer" can also be transliterated as "sefer", "sapher", and "sepher". Thus, Safer Sephiroth (Sefer Sfirot) translates to "Book of Numerations" likely referring to the 10 Kabbalistic Sefirot, the ten aspects of creation according to Jewish Mysticism.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

With Omega, yeah one of the big things that came up is that it fundamentally doesn't understand human emotion or motivation. It might not even really be sapient, and instead is just an elaborate and powerful automaton operating out of control.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

EponymousMrYar posted:

For AoE you get to be a pretty crazy blender. Do a single Gekko combo on the strongest dude to get the damage buff, then do an Oka AoE combo. Hagakure those Sen to Kenki. Do your AoE combos while mashing Kyuten between every GCD. Don't Kaiten Tenka Goken, it slows down your Kyuten spam (and more Kyutens is better than stronger Tenka Gokens.)

I don't think this is correct.

Kyuten does 150 potency per target for 25 kenki, in other words, 6 potency per target per kenki.

The damage from using Kaiten on Tenka Goken drops off for more targets, but on the first it's +50% of 360 for 20 kenki, or 9 potency per kenki. For the 2nd it's 8.1 per kenki, for the third it's 6.3 , and so on. For your average double trash pack pull of 6 mobs, you're still hitting for 6.75 potency per target on average. The average doesn't drop below 6 unless you're hitting at least 10 targets.

Philonius fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 5, 2017

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
While watching the cutscenes before Omega, I realised that all I really need from this raid is to defeat the final boss in a musical emote-off.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bewilderment posted:

People tell me that Elezen animations look janky because of the long limbs but I've never paid enough attention to spot anyone actually playing one.

I had two Lalafell doing Cutter's Cry and I didn't know what to think.

Everyone's a human or cat with the odd Rog mostly.

I'm a new player playing a lady elf. I'm okay with the elves' animations looking subtly wrong given, you know, that they're not human. I more get the impression that elf emotes are just reserved and modest.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We need a FFX section so that we can fight Jecht, and embrace the butt-rockiest butt rock.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

We need a FFX section so that we can fight Jecht, and embrace the butt-rockiest butt rock.

Anima (the aeon) with a block mechanic like in Susano but only a monk can parry the punches of the Overdrive :getin:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I hope we get the four fiends from IV.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Anima (the aeon) with a block mechanic like in Susano but only a monk can parry the punches of the Overdrive :getin:

I could buy Sin as the major villain of an expansion.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I'm a new player playing a lady elf. I'm okay with the elves' animations looking subtly wrong given, you know, that they're not human. I more get the impression that elf emotes are just reserved and modest.

Minor lore quibble: elves are actually human. "Human" encompasses all the non-beast races of Eorzea and beyond. Also the elezen are believed to be more closely related to the hyur than any other race.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Where did lalafell and roegadyn come from?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Fister Roboto posted:

Minor lore quibble: elves are actually human. "Human" encompasses all the non-beast races of Eorzea and beyond. Also the elezen are believed to be more closely related to the hyur than any other race.

I did not know this either.

Also:
Post + Avatar combo. Beautiful.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm calling the elves what they are. It's humans, elves, halflings, catgirls, and norns. And whatever the gently caress au ra are supposed to be, I only bought the starter edition.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

jyrque posted:

You see when a mommy lalafell and a daddy lalafell love one another very much...

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

jyrque posted:

Lalas evolved from naked moles, gaining hair as a natural camouflage from eorzea's predatory aerial fauna.

Actually their whole eye and hair thing would make Lalas one of the oldest races in Eorzea right? Gaining evolutionary traits for their respective habitats?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Intoluene posted:

Magitek Knight? I mean, I can see us learning garlemald's fighting style and magic replacement if we actually go there. Hell, if Nero stays on Garlond Ironworks, he could share a thing or two about the fighting style.

Didn't Yoshi say they were interested in adding some kind of new Job that would be distinctly FF14s own, rather than from an old FF, going forward? I remember that coming up in the June liveletters. If so a Garlean gunblade using Job could fit the bill.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
There's vague circumstantial evidence that Lalas were created by the Allagans as there's no mention of them before the Allagans and they first feature in history in the mage wars stuff after the Allagans went away. I like the idea because it means Lalas were the Allagan's dying curse on the world.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Goddamn the music in Library is so good.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There's also some fluff text somewhere (fractal continuum maybe?) about a researcher breaking open some old Allagan experiment and the horrible ooze inside extruding "small, distinctly lalafelian hands". But there's a lot of differently horrifying ways to take that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jyrque posted:

Roegadyns come from the lovely region to the north of the Three Great Continents called the Northern Empty. They migrated around 700 years before the start of the game, making them relative newcomers to Eorzea.

Lalafells are believed to come from the islands to the south.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I really hope the next two chunks of Omega aren't all FFV related. I appreciate that it's fanservice but I haven't played that game and I feel like I'm missing out a whole bunch! I love Omega itself though and the Tournament of Power poo poo we've got going on is extremely my jam.

This is unlikely. We already got the end boss of FF5. What we'll probably see between the regular and challenge mode Omega raids is some combination of FF1, 2, 4, 6, and 9. If they're feeling saucy then maybe non-FF series like Dragon Quest or Ogre Battle. (Brave Fencer Musashi floor 3: DANCE OR DIE. Please look forward to it.)

The monkeys paw crossover would be Drakengaard-themed. Don't beat it or you will start a chain of events that ends civilization in Eorzea at large.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Lalas evolved from naked moles, gaining hair as a natural camouflage from eorzea's predatory aerial fauna.

Actually their whole eye and hair thing would make Lalas one of the oldest races in Eorzea right? Gaining evolutionary traits for their respective habitats?

Quite the opposite, they came to Eorzea some time in the 5th Astral Era. The hyur and elezen are believed to have been there since before the 1st Astral Era, essentially prehistoric times. Also I was slightly wrong about the roegadyn. The seawolf clan migrated from the north 700 years ago, while the hellsguard clan migrated a long but unknown time before that.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Thundarr posted:

The monkeys paw crossover would be Drakengaard-themed. Don't beat it or you will start a chain of events that ends civilization in Eorzea at large.

The monkey's paw is supposed to grant wishes that go horribly wrong.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How do damage reduction buffs stack? Like, let's say you're standing in a Paladin's Passage of Arms (so you're taking 85% damage), an Astrologian throws the Bole at you (20% less damage), and a Bard uses Troubadour for the appropriate damage type (10% less damage). What percentage of the damage do you take? Does it stack, or does it just go with the highest reduction or something?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Fister Roboto posted:

Roegadyns come from the lovely region to the north of the Three Great Continents called the Northern Empty. They migrated around 700 years before the start of the game, making them relative newcomers to Eorzea.

Lalafells are believed to come from the islands to the south.

This is another plank of evidence in the argument that taters are an evolved creation like the Ixal; "the south" more than anything means Meracydia, and the Onion Knight minion references late-model automaton soldiers looking much like it. Once Lalas developed sapience and started building a society, they probably fled the continent due to facing hostility--even now the residents are said to attack northerners on sight.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Harrow posted:

How do damage reduction buffs stack? Like, let's say you're standing in a Paladin's Passage of Arms (so you're taking 85% damage), an Astrologian throws the Bole at you (20% less damage), and a Bard uses Troubadour for the appropriate damage type (10% less damage). What percentage of the damage do you take? Does it stack, or does it just go with the highest reduction or something?

Stacks multiplicatively. Assuming nothing has changed from HW -> SB.

The example given is that if you're a PLD and turn on Shield Oath, pop Rampart and Sentinel, rather than getting 20% + 40% + 20%, and getting 80% mitigation additively, the mitigation is about 61% mitigation multiplicatively.

In your example, it's something like 39%. (1- (.85 * .8 * .9))

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 5, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

On a related, I really hate that PoA is worded as taking 85% of normal damage, rather than being a 15% damage reduction like every other defensive buff in the game.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
If everything was worded like poa it'd be even simpler to calculate stacking tbh.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Stacks multiplicatively. Assuming nothing has changed from HW -> SB.

The example given is that if you're a PLD and turn on Shield Oath, pop Rampart and Sentinel, rather than getting 20% + 40% + 20%, and getting 80% mitigation additively, the mitigation is about 61% mitigation multiplicatively.

In your example, it's something like 39%. (1- (.85 * .8 * .9))

Interesting, thanks.

Now I want to find out what the highest amount of group damage reduction you can stack is, for things like primal ultimates. PoA, the Bole on a group (so 10% in that case), Troubadour... is there any more available? I know there are single-target damage-reducers, like Palisade, but I'm thinking for a whole group. I considered including Dismantle and Reprisal but if we're talking about a primal ultimate, they're going to be untargetable for longer than those last in I'm pretty sure every case.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Harrow posted:

Interesting, thanks.

Now I want to find out what the highest amount of group damage reduction you can stack is, for things like primal ultimates. PoA, the Bole on a group (so 10% in that case), Troubadour... is there any more available? I know there are single-target damage-reducers, like Palisade, but I'm thinking for a whole group. I considered including Dismantle and Reprisal but if we're talking about a primal ultimate, they're going to be untargetable for longer than those last in I'm pretty sure every case.

For max mitigation you need to include shields as well. I have around 38k hp at the moment (would be 45 with vit accessories) so thats a 3.8k-4.5k shield. Crit adlo on a warrior with defiance, convalescence, fey illumination, etc has to be around 13-14k at this point so thats 26k of extra mitigation.

I think you could probably shield through alexander's judgement beam unsynced at 70 with shields/mitigation up.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Cao Ni Ma posted:

me 3 minutes ago while I was quitting the client

Are you guys seriously not feeling this? Im wondering if its one of the backbone routes getting hammered and a lot of people not experiencing it because of it but while I was saying how bad it felt in chat the entire server took a dump and kicked everyone out.
I feel you on the dual-cast, but that hasn't hit me the past few days compared to release.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Trasson posted:

How to do big pulls...
First of all, If Eos isn't on Obey, if you're using Eos, fix that stop.

How to do big pulls, while using Selene, and be a general pro mode.

1. Have your six lustrates ready to go.
2. Eye for an eye is your friend, why aren't you using it?
3. Swiftcasting out a physic is a legitimate thing to do.
3.5. Shadow Flare is the lazy SCH's dps.
4. I'm too :effort: to actually eat my fairy, but if you aren't, hey 9 lustrates.
5. By the time you burn through your lustrates your fairy should be able to keep up while you apply your dps.
6. Have a tank that actually hits their cooldowns.
7. If you want to be pro, Excog+EFE right as the damage starts hitting, so you have a GCD or two to put down your dots and maybe bane.
8. If you want to go full silly, burn an aetherflow stack for Sacred Soil.

If you have to use Eos for any dungeon big pulls, there's a serious problem with the DPS, your tank, or you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Harrow posted:

Interesting, thanks.

Assuming the source is still targetable, Reprisal is an additional 5%.