Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Not much different from how the Philosopher's Stone was guarded then.

It was good enough to stop Voldemort, so I think that's pretty good.

Honestly, the stone is pretty well protected, because it requires an incredibly varied assortment of skills with no preparation - and of course, you generally don't know what they are beforehand.

1. Get to Hogwarts. Hard enough on its own, really, since you can't apparate in.
2. Find the right room.
3. Pass the idiot test (Can you open a lock with magic?).
4.Fight a big three-headed dog in a narrow space, unless you know it was put there by Hagrid, in which case you can trick him into giving up the information that you just need to play some music.
5. Have decent knowledge of Herbology so you don't get Devil Snared.
6. Be good at flying so you can catch the right key.
7. Be a master of chess so you can win against the magic pieces without losing the piece you replaced.
8. Beat a troll.
9. Be good enough at logic to make it through the flames.
10. Now that you've made it through all those things - it is imperative that you don't actually want the stone, because then you can't get it.

Harry and the others made it through because 1-2 were a gimme, 3 was easy, 4 was done for them, they legitimately did 5. 6 was literally the only thing Harry was good at in his first year at Hogwarts. 7 is literally the only thing Ron is ever good at (except for being a goalkeeper later). 8 was done for them. 9. is Hermione's forte, and of course, they could do 10 because Harry didn't want the STONE per se.

Voldemort has the advantage of skipping 1-2 as well, having prior knowledge of most of the trials because Quirrell was part of setting them up, and he still fails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If only they'd had the Trial of the Password of Minimum 8 Characters Including Capitals, Lowercase, Numbers and Symbols with No Dictionary Words.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 5, 2017

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

MikeJF posted:

If only they'd had the Trial of the Password of Minimum 8 Characters Including Capitals, Lowercase, Numbers and Symbols with No Dictionary Words.

You know it'd just be on a piece of parchment spellotaped to the door.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

MikeJF posted:

I'm not sure passwords work nearly as well in a world where you can read minds and mind control people. It's the entire "let's beat up the guy with the password until he gives us the password" but even easier. Security has a lot of different concerns in a HP world than in our muggle world. Though if you can make a line that can only be passed by people older than x, why not just make a line that can only be passed by 300 year olds? There you go, Nicolas Flamel can cross it, and his wife can cross it - but no one else can, afaik.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Or instead of flying around the room, the key could've been in Dumbledore's pocket.

Ah well, though. It's a staple of magic worlds to have trials like that.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

If I'd been designing the logic puzzle trial, everything would be the same except all the potions would be poison and you'd have to brew the real potion in advance and bring it in

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

If you really want to cut through the silliness, the logical thing for Dumbledore to do would have been to stick it in his desk and put the drawer under the Fidelius charm.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Dumbledore should have just used the Philosopher's Stone as a buttplug. You'd have to be really desperate to go after an old wizard's unwashed sex toy. Imagine the smell.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

From a little while back, but I did find it amusing that after Harry's panic and caution about eating sapient non-humans, Quirrelmort orders them both dishes that are references to cannibalism:

quote:

"I shall have a bowl of green lentil soup, with soy sauce," Professor Quirrell said to the waitress. "And for Mr. Potter, a plate of Tenorman's family chili."

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
There's a fairly common idea in Potter fanfics that Dumbledore wasn't actually trying to keep the stone 100% safe, but instead was trying to bait Voldemort out and/or groom Harry into becoming one of them heroic types, depending on how poorly you think of ol' Dumbles.

I don't really agree but it is an interesting angle.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fenrisulfr posted:

From a little while back, but I did find it amusing that after Harry's panic and caution about eating sapient non-humans, Quirrelmort orders them both dishes that are references to cannibalism:
Huh. I don't watch SP, but I really should have spotted the first one. Then again, this is a series that is (to say the least) lavish with unnecessary detail, so you end up not paying much attention.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tunicate posted:

Sirius at least was partially protected by turning into a dog, since dementors don't work so well on animals.

That was always an interesting idea for me, because it kind of implies that animagi aren't just 'human personality overlaid on an animal shape' and actually have some biological affects of the change. Neat parallel to Remus' lycanthropy, and a strong influence on how Pettigrew ends up (especially with all the years he spent as a rat).

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The transformation affected their morphic fields, obviously. Like what happened to Greebo.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Mad Hamish posted:

The transformation affected their morphic fields, obviously. Like what happened to Greebo.

You laugh, but it's actually kind of disturbing how many Pratchett-isms I've internalized over the years, to the point where that poo poo just kind of makes sense now automatically.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Admittedly, that'd be a much more interesting crossover than the Ender's Game crap Yud is cribbing.

I'm not sure if Mustrum Ridicully ( D.Thau., D.M., D.S., D.Mn., D.G., D.D., D.C.L., D.M. Phil., D.M.S., D.C.M., D.W., B.El.L.) or a certain Rincewind would make a better poor bastard to get the DADA slot for a year, though.

Rincewind taking Yud's Quirrel out with a half-brick in a sock would be great, though. I think this fanfic is getting to me, I'm starting to wish violence on the characters.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm not sure if Mustrum Ridicully ( D.Thau., D.M., D.S., D.Mn., D.G., D.D., D.C.L., D.M. Phil., D.M.S., D.C.M., D.W., B.El.L.) or a certain Rincewind would make a better poor bastard to get the DADA slot for a year, though.
I think they'd give pretty much the same advice: If at all possible, don't be in a position where you need to defend yourself at all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

'but if you do, always have a few fireballs up your sleeve.'

Ridcully would then use the class as a transparent excuse to go hunting.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 7, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Exercu posted:

It was good enough to stop Voldemort, so I think that's pretty good.

Honestly, the stone is pretty well protected, because it requires an incredibly varied assortment of skills with no preparation - and of course, you generally don't know what they are beforehand.

1. Get to Hogwarts. Hard enough on its own, really, since you can't apparate in.
2. Find the right room.
3. Pass the idiot test (Can you open a lock with magic?).
4.Fight a big three-headed dog in a narrow space, unless you know it was put there by Hagrid, in which case you can trick him into giving up the information that you just need to play some music.
5. Have decent knowledge of Herbology so you don't get Devil Snared.
6. Be good at flying so you can catch the right key.
7. Be a master of chess so you can win against the magic pieces without losing the piece you replaced.
8. Beat a troll.
9. Be good enough at logic to make it through the flames.
10. Now that you've made it through all those things - it is imperative that you don't actually want the stone, because then you can't get it.

Harry and the others made it through because 1-2 were a gimme, 3 was easy, 4 was done for them, they legitimately did 5. 6 was literally the only thing Harry was good at in his first year at Hogwarts. 7 is literally the only thing Ron is ever good at (except for being a goalkeeper later). 8 was done for them. 9. is Hermione's forte, and of course, they could do 10 because Harry didn't want the STONE per se.

Voldemort has the advantage of skipping 1-2 as well, having prior knowledge of most of the trials because Quirrell was part of setting them up, and he still fails.

The Mirror of Erised is what really brings the whole thing together. Anyone who makes it through all that difficult, dangerous, and just plain tedious bullshit has to be pretty determined to get the Stone, and then there's a final safeguard that says that the more you want it, the less you can have it. It's pretty brilliantly evil, and still means that if the setup is compromised and you need to relocate the Stone to somewhere safer, you can just waltz past all those puzzles you know the answer to and the Mirror will cheerfully hand your incredibly valuable relic over.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Liquid Communism posted:

Admittedly, that'd be a much more interesting crossover than the Ender's Game crap Yud is cribbing.

Unfortunately, Yudkowski would still be writing it, so it would still be painful.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Cavelcade posted:

Unfortunately, Yudkowski would still be writing it, so it would still be painful.

oh God I'm imagining his Vetinari and Drumknott talking about Bayes

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Oh god.

Yeah, that might be the only thing worse than Yud's Potter.

Yud's Vetinari.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm thinking of what he'd do to Granny and now I'm really, really unhappy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mad Hamish posted:

I'm thinking of what he'd do to Granny and now I'm really, really unhappy.

He wouldn't even use the Witches. They're too tied into the natural cycles, death especially, for Yud's tiny screamingly terrified hindbrain to cope with. Remember, he'd consider Reaper Man a horror story.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

He wouldn't even use the Witches. They're too tied into the natural cycles, death especially, for Yud's tiny screamingly terrified hindbrain to cope with. Remember, he'd consider Reaper Man a horror story.

Of course, he'd have to ignore that the setting has an actual, confirmed-real afterlife. But he already did that with Harry Potter, so that probably wouldn't stop him.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Of course, he'd have to ignore that the setting has an actual, confirmed-real afterlife. But he already did that with Harry Potter, so that probably wouldn't stop him.

But what if he did act on that knowledge?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Tiggum posted:

I don't think we were reading the same Disc world. What happened to almost anyone more then 30 seconds after they die was ambiguous. There was only one person who hung around longer than that I can recall and it was implied that it was torment for him.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Added Space posted:

I don't think we were reading the same Disc world. What happened to almost anyone more then 30 seconds after they die was ambiguous. There was only one person who hung around longer than that I can recall and it was implied that it was torment for him.

The specifics of what happens are ambiguous (though we do know of at least three reincarnations I can think of offhand), but the fact that there's something that does happen and that there's a "you" for it to happen to are pretty black-and-white.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yud's Vetinari.

I'd love to see a fanfic in which the only changed character was Lord Yudinari, patiently explaining to people how much he's manipulating them right now, with them reacting the way Pratchett's characters ordinarily would.

inflatablefish fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 8, 2017

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

inflatablefish posted:

The specifics of what happens are ambiguous (though we do know of at least three reincarnations I can think of offhand), but the fact that there's something that does happen and that there's a "you" for it to happen to are pretty black-and-white.

It's a recurring thing in the Discworld books that people end up in the afterlife they believe in. Faust Eric has hell populated solely by people who think they deserve it. The Truth has reincarnation (the potato religion) and an attempt by one person to cheat into a better afterlife he clearly doesn't believe in (which makes Death incredibly angry with him).

I think there's even a gag in one book about the optimal move being killing missionairies from range to stop them telling you about the idea of hell so that you're safe from it, which is like Roko's Basilisk but actually kind of clever.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also Cohen and the Silver Horde steal horses from the Valkyries and ride off on them.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Chapter 54: The Stanford Prison Experiment, Pt 4 part 1

The plot of this chapter has very little to do with the Stanford prison experiment btw. And there are plenty of chapters that deal with obedience to authority and abuse of power.

quote:

"I knew - you would - come to me - someday," Bellatrix's voice quavered and fractured as she drew breath for quiet sobs, "I knew - you were alive - that you would come - to me - my Lord..." there was a long inhalation like a huge gasp, "and that even - when you came - you still wouldn't love me - never - you would never love me back - that was why - they couldn't take - my love from me - even though I can't remember - can't remember so many other things - though I don't know what I forgot - but I remember how much I love you, Lord -"

There was a knife stabbing through Harry's heart, he'd never heard anything so terrible, he wanted to hunt down the Dark Lord and kill him just for this...

"Do you still - have use for me - my Lord?"

"No," hissed Harry's voice, without him even thinking, it just seemed to be operating on automatic, "I entered Azkaban on a whim. Of course I have use for you! Don't ask foolish questions."

"But - I'm weak," said Bellatrix's voice, and a full sob escaped her, it sounded much too loud in the corridors of Azkaban, "I can't kill for you, my Lord, I'm sorry, they ate it all, ate me all up, I'm too weak to fight, what good am I to you now -"

Harry's brain cast about desperately for some way to reassure her, from the lips of a Dark Lord who would never speak a single word of caring.

"Ugly," said Bellatrix. Her voice said that word like it was the final nail in her coffin, the last despair. "I'm ugly, they ate that too, I'm, I'm not pretty any more, you won't even, be able, to use me, as a reward, for your servants - even the Lestranges, won't want, to hurt me, any more -"

The brilliant silver figure stopped walking.

Because Harry had stopped walking.

The Dark Lord, he... The part of Harry's self that was soft and vulnerable was screaming in disbelieving horror, trying to reject reality, refuse the understanding, even as a colder and harder part completed the pattern: She obeyed him in that as she obeyed him in all things.

The green spark bobbed urgently, darted forward.

The silver humanoid stayed in place.

Bellatrix was sobbing harder.

"I'm, I'm not, I can't be, useful, any more..."

Giant hands were squeezing Harry's chest, wringing him like a washcloth, trying to crush his heart.

"Please," whispered Bellatrix, "just kill me..." Her voice seemed to calm, once she said that. "Please Lord, kill me, I've no reason to live if I'm no use to you... I only want it to stop... please hurt me one last time, my Lord, hurt me until I stop... I love you..."

It was the saddest thing Harry had ever heard.

The bright silver shape of Harry's Patronus flickered -

Wavered -

Brightened -

The fury that was rising in Harry, his rage against the Dark Lord who had done this, the rage against the Dementors, against Azkaban, against the world that allowed such horror, it all seemed to be pouring straight through his arm and into his wand without there being any way of blocking it, he tried willing it to stop and nothing happened.

"My Lord!" whispered the disguised voice of Professor Quirrell. "My spell is going out of control! Help me, my Lord!"

Brighter the Patronus, brighter and brighter, it was waxing faster than on the day that Harry had destroyed a Dementor.

"My Lord!" the silhouette said in a terrified whisper. "Help me! Everyone will feel it, my Lord!
1. Raperaperape, of course, because how can a dark and gritty re-imagining of a children's novel omit that.

2. Harriezer is upset with Voldermort, and it manifests with a blaze of anti-death magic. Sure.

Anyways, the patronus is eventually under control, but not before alarms are set:

quote:

In the Auror's quarters at the top of Azkaban, one Auror trio was snoring in the barracks, one Auror trio was resting in the breakroom, and one Auror trio was on duty in the command room, keeping their watch. The command room was simple but large, with three chairs at back where three Aurors sat, their wands always in hand to sustain their three Patronuses, as the bright white forms paced in front of the open window, sheltering them all from the Dementors' fear.

The three of them usually stuck to the back, and played poker, and didn't look out the window. You could have seen some sky there, sure, and there was even an hour or two every day where you could've seen some sun, but that window also looked down on the central pit of hell.

Just in case a Dementor wanted to float up and talk to you.

There was no way that Auror Li would have agreed to serve duty here, triple pay or no triple pay, if he hadn't had a family to support. (His real name was Xiaoguang, and everyone called him Mike instead; he'd named his children Su and Kao, which hopefully would serve them better.)
Ugh. As an immigrant, that poo poo rankles.

I stuck with my name is my name from my days as a surly teenager and into (semi) reasonable adulthood. And it's my experience that "sorry, that name is just hard for me to pronounce" is just one step away from "aren't you people all called X anyway?"

Need a more convenient name? Use it to call "all you people", not me.

Anyways, on to the lovely Azkaban security arrangements:

quote:

"Mike," said McCusker, "what's with your Patronus?"

Li turned his head and looked.

His soft silver badger had turned away from its watch over the pit and was staring downward at something only it could see.

A moment later, Bahry's moonlit duck and McCusker's bright anteater followed suit, staring in the same downward direction.

They all exchanged glances, and then sighed.

"I'll tell them," said Bahry. Protocol called for sending the three Aurors who were off-duty but not sleeping to investigate anything anomalous. "Maybe relieve one of them and take the C spiral, if you two don't mind."

Li exchanged a glance with McCusker, and they both nodded. It wasn't too hard to break into Azkaban, if you were wealthy enough to hire a powerful wizard, and well-intentioned enough to recruit someone who could cast the Patronus Charm. People with friends in Azkaban would do that, break in just to give someone a half-day's worth of Patronus time, a chance at some real dreams instead of nightmares. Leave them a supply of chocolate to conceal in their cell, to increase the chance they lived through their sentence. And the Aurors on guard... well, even if you got caught, you could probably convince the Aurors to overlook it, in exchange for the right bribe.

For Li, the right bribe tended to be in the range of two Knuts and a silver Sickle. He hated this place.

But Bahry One-Hand had a wife and the wife had healer's bills, and if you could afford to hire someone who could break into Azkaban, then you could afford to grease Bahry's remaining palm pretty hard, if he was the one who caught you.
If you want a prison that's hard to break out of, making it hard to break into is... I don't even know, a good first step? An obvious corollary? The least stupid thing you can do? Slightly better than sending a lone guard to check a disturbance that might very well involve a powerful wizard breaking into the prison?

People who like writing fanfic of fanfic - throw out the very first ideas you come up with for a secure prison in the HP-verse. Don't worry about how the heroes will get in or out of it, just try to come up with the most basic list of steps a rational non-idiot designer would.

quote:

They'd gone up another four flights of stairs before the rough voice of the Defense Professor said, simply and without emphasis, "Auror coming."

It took too long, a whole second maybe, for Harry to understand, for the jolt of adrenaline to pump into his blood, and for him to remember what Professor Quirrell had already discussed with him and told him to do in this case, and then Harry spun on his heel and flew back the way they'd come.

Harry reached the flight of stairs, and frantically laid himself down on the third step from the top, the cold metal feeling hard even through his cloak and robes. Trying to move his head up, to peer over the lip of the stairs, showed that he couldn't see Professor Quirrell; and that meant that Harry was out of the line of any stray fire.

His shining Patronus followed after him, and lay down beside him on the step just beneath him; for it too must not be seen.

There was a faint sound as of wind or whooshing, and then the sound of Bellatrix's invisible body coming to rest on a stair further below, she had no place in this except -

"Stay still," said the cold high whisper, "stay silent."

There was stillness, and silence.

Harry pressed his wand against the side of the metal step just above him. If he was anyone else he would have needed to take a Knut out of his pocket... or rip off a bit of cloth from his robe... or bite off one of his nails... or find a speck of rock large enough that he could see it and solid enough to stay in one place and orientation while it touched his wand. But with Harry's almighty power of partial Transfiguration, this was not necessary; he could skip that particular step of the operation and use any material near to hand.

Thirty seconds later Harry was the proud new owner of a curved mirror, and...
I'm not following this, mostly because Yud's obsession with transformation is quite possibly the most boring part of HPMOR. And that's saying something.

Unlike "anyone else", who would have had to transfigure the mirror from a random item, Harriezer can use... any material? Or were those examples of items those hypothetical people previously tansfigured a mirror into? Why?

quote:

The Auror was protected by a blue shimmer, it was hard to see the details but Harry could see that much, the Auror had shields already raised and strengthened.

Crap, thought Harry. According to the Defense Professor, the essential art of dueling consisted of trying to put up defenses that would block whatever someone was likely to throw at you, while trying in turn to attack in ways that were likely to go past their current set of defenses. And by far the easiest way to win any sort of real fight - Professor Quirrell had said this over and over - was to shoot the enemy before they raised a shield in the first place, either from behind or from close enough range that they couldn't dodge or counter in time.

Though Professor Quirrell might still be able to get in a shot from behind, if -

But the Auror halted after taking three steps into the corridor.

"Nice Disillusionment," said a hard male voice that Harry didn't recognize. "Now show yourself, or you'll be in real trouble."

The form of the sallow, bearded man became visible then.

"And you with the Patronus," said the hard voice. "Come out too. Now."

"Wouldn't be smart," said the gravelly voice of the sallow man. It was no longer the terrified voice of the Dark Lord's servant; it had suddenly become the professional intimidation of a competent criminal. "You don't want to see who's behind me. Trust me, you don't. Five hundred Galleons, cold cash up front, if you turn around and walk away. Big trouble for your career if you don't."

There was a long pause.

"Look, whoever you are," said the hard voice. "You seem confused about how this works. I don't care if that's Lucius Malfoy behind you or Albus bloody Dumbledore. You all come out, I scan the whole lot of you, and then we talk about how much this is going to cost you -"

"Two thousand Galleons, final offer," said the gravelly voice, taking on a warning undertone. "That's ten times the going rate and more than you make in a year. And believe me, if you see something you shouldn't, you're going to regret not taking that -"

"Shut it!" said the hard voice. "You've got exactly five seconds to drop that wand before I drop you. Five, four -"

What are you doing, Professor Quirrell? Harry thought frantically. Attack first! Cast a shield at least!

"- three, two, one! Stupefy! "

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 9, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's been said already but the whole "partial transfiguration" thing already exists in canon and is rather unremarkable.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Xander77 posted:

Unlike "anyone else", who would have had to transfigure the mirror from a random item, Harriezer can use... any material? Or were those examples of items those hypothetical people previously tansfigured a mirror into? Why?

The difference that Yud seems to think is that Harry doesn't need to transfigure a discrete object; other people would need to pull one individual item out and turn it into one individual other item, but he's cool so he doesn't have to. However...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's been said already but the whole "partial transfiguration" thing already exists in canon and is rather unremarkable.

It's a difficult thing to do but not the be-all end-all. McGonagall (who is admittedly very skilled) turns a single snake into a cloud of smoke and then the smoke into a lot of knives without really stopping in between, so you can clearly do one to many, and there's plenty of cases of people Transfiguring just hair or specific body parts.

If Yud means half-finished Transfiguration, that's so easy to do by mistake you lose points for it on a test.

Prism fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 9, 2017

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Eliezarry's "power" is knowing that any subdivision of an object is, in an abstract mathematical sense, an "object" in itself.

Since "object" is a rather vague term which applies to both a flawless diamond, which is virtually identical throughout its composition, and a log, which is not at all homogeneous, and yet transfiguration works identically on both, the magic must choose what exactly to transfigure based on the user's intent, not any objective standard of what an object is. So, by thinking of part of the step as a separate collection of atoms from the rest, he can transfigure it separately. Non-science-literate wizards can do this, but only if they think of the parts of the object as separate things, so it's relatively intuitive to transfigure an arm separately from the overall human, or a doorknob rather than the whole door, but hard to do what Eliezarry is doing.

It is a neat idea in its implications; Eliezarry uses it for trivial purposes because he's an unimaginative little poo poo, but in principle it could be used for precision transfiguration on a microscopic scale by a sufficiently knowledgeable wizard.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 9, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Prism posted:

It's a difficult thing to do but not the be-all end-all. McGonagall (who is admittedly very skilled) turns a single snake into a cloud of smoke and then the smoke into a lot of knives without really stopping in between, so you can clearly do one to many, and there's plenty of cases of people Transfiguring just hair or specific body parts.
It's clearly something he wanted Harry to be super good at, but it's really easy in the books so he had to modify it so that in his version of the story it works completely differently. But it's one of the things where he changes something but doesn't think it through. In the books, transfiguration is a simple trick they teach to kids. Here, it's an incredibly difficult and super dangerous thing that... they still teach to kids for some reason? I think his justification was that if you didn't learn it early then you'd never be any good at it, but I don't think there's really anything that works that way? Anything you can learn as a child you can also learn as an adult, and as long as you practice enough you'll be able to do it just as well.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

It's clearly something he wanted Harry to be super good at, but it's really easy in the books so he had to modify it so that in his version of the story it works completely differently. But it's one of the things where he changes something but doesn't think it through. In the books, transfiguration is a simple trick they teach to kids. Here, it's an incredibly difficult and super dangerous thing that... they still teach to kids for some reason? I think his justification was that if you didn't learn it early then you'd never be any good at it, but I don't think there's really anything that works that way? Anything you can learn as a child you can also learn as an adult, and as long as you practice enough you'll be able to do it just as well.

Well learning a foreign language is hella easier when you're young, but yeah

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Here, it's an incredibly difficult and super dangerous thing that... they still teach to kids for some reason?
Now now. We all know that wizards have no sense of right and wrong, and adults in the HP-verse endanger children constantly.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Xander77 posted:

If you want a prison that's hard to break out of, making it hard to break into is... I don't even know, a good first step? An obvious corollary? The least stupid thing you can do? Slightly better than sending a lone guard to check a disturbance that might very well involve a powerful wizard breaking into the prison?

The Aurors aren't the wardens of this prison.

The wardens are the Dementors, who are 100% effective at keeping prisoners in (at least until the Super-Duper Patronus 2.0 Premium Protagonist Edition), but they don't give a single poo poo if somebody drops by to extend the expiration date on their supply of souls-in-a-can.

The Auror team is more of an early warning system, and they're also in charge of stopping break-ins, but as mentioned they don't particularly care either because so far the Dementors have always prevented any break-ins from turning into break-outs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Xander77 posted:

Now now. We all know that wizards have no sense of right and wrong, and adults in the HP-verse endanger children constantly.

I mean, wasn't that meant to be part of the point of the books? That the adults have all these wise assurances that 'no no, wizard hitler won't be back' but at the end of the day most of them roll right over for him for the same reasons they did the last time, and once again leave it to children to be in horrible danger to save their sorry asses?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Night10194 posted:

I mean, wasn't that meant to be part of the point of the books? That the adults have all these wise assurances that 'no no, wizard hitler won't be back' but at the end of the day most of them roll right over for him for the same reasons they did the last time, and once again leave it to children to be in horrible danger to save their sorry asses?

Adults and authority figures are generally incompetent in any children's fiction. If they weren't, adventures wouldn't be so easily had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

No, that's totally not what I meant. Adults in HP are a whole different flavor of negligent. Instead of being over-protective, and trying to keep children out of trouble, they genuinely don't give a gently caress, and allow children to be placed in dangerous situations with wild abandon.