Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I like the change too. My guild having a more relatively chill raid schedule allows me to also raid with goons on the side and I enjoy that quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ad by Khad posted:

Wow guilds as a whole raid far less than they used to. When I was a serious raider 5ish years ago, our schedule of 3 days a week, 4 hours a night was considered light for being ranked double digits in the US. Nowadays it's above average.

Two nights a week, 3 hours, 4 tops is about my limit. Adding days annoys me because it strips away what I can do during the week that are non MMO related. Adding hours frustrates me because you start to lose your edge around the 2.5 hour mark.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
What has become a lot more common though, with the game-wide reduction in time spent raiding, is raiding with multiple guilds. Right now I do 5 days 3 hours a week and the only way to actually do that consistently in wow these days is to have more than one guild.

I have a lot of fun with this current situation though and I enjoy it a lot more than the way raiding was 3 or 5 or 10 or 15 years ago. My weekend goon guild is grateful as gently caress to have me.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Invective disbanded lol

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

Invective disbanded lol

guess they werent hardcore enough cup cake

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Babe Magnet posted:

Invective disbanded lol

Who?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Holyshoot posted:

Hi there,

I am writing this mission statement in hopes of clarifying what Invective is, who we are, and what we plan to achieve in World Of Warcraft, and what we expect from our raiders. First things first, Invective is a US Raiding Guild located on the PvP Server Illidan. We plan to eventually give all other guilds a run for their money and clear content on a world first basis. We will require members to be able to take up to TWO ENTIRE weeks of work off per tier (not that the current mythic content would require you to do so, but we do expect you to be able to afford to day raid two weeks) A hardcore schedule would look like this : Tier drops Tuesday, we all get up bright and early for servers to come online, and raid all day with breaks, including a sleep break, Tuesday thru Sunday. Rinse & Repeat. This is subject to slight modifications depending on how we are doing on the tier.

Invective’s founders and core members all derive from Hardcore Raiding MMO Wildstar. We all have successful experiences racing for World Firsts with guilds such as Enigma. GM / RL Sky has experience theory-crafting, and making strategies. We believe in being honest with each other, and addressing player error straight on.

The point of this guild’s existence is as follows: Wildstar dying led to some Hardcore Wildstar raiders looking for a new wow guild. We have no interest in raiding our asses off to settle for some world top 10-20. We didn’t feel like we had a place in any other current US Raiding guild, as they all had things we didn’t like about them, for example Limit only day raids for a single day. We’re making this guild to race, and every week we will be bolstering the poo poo out of our roster, so be on point. It’s time for North America to get a hardcore day raiding guild.

Sky Moon,

GM/RL

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

How embarrassing. Talking big, aiming for world firsts and not even making top 50. Had to disband to avoid the shame.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SettingSun posted:

How embarrassing. Talking big, aiming for world firsts and not even making top 50. Had to disband to avoid the shame.

nah, more like 5-6 of their members went to a better guild that actually gets top world kills. And others have apped to other guilds. So "good luck" rebuilding a stable of people who want to day raid when you have proven nothing beyond being good at a dead gay game.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Was it even possible? Bliz drops about two tiers a year right? I don't think most Americans get four weeks of vacation a year, much less the option to take them back to back. I know I don't.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

StuG Jeebus posted:

Was it even possible? Bliz drops about two tiers a year right? I don't think most Americans get four weeks of vacation a year, much less the option to take them back to back. I know I don't.

College students

Also it depends mostly on what your job is, so it varies. There's definitely enough people in those margins not on the average to do that kind of schedule, but the real problem is who the gently caress would want to? Taking a week off for a new expansion might be a thing, but two weeks just for a raid tier?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

College students

Also it depends mostly on what your job is, so it varies. There's definitely enough people in those margins not on the average to do that kind of schedule, but the real problem is who the gently caress would want to? Taking a week off for a new expansion might be a thing, but two weeks just for a raid tier?

it's even worse now. These people on top of raiding 60 hours a week for 2 weeks are also keeping 4-6 alts near raid ready for class stacking. So gone are the days of "we just hammered this boss for a week or two straight now we get to raid 2 hours a week for the next 6 months". Now its "ok we just played a poo poo load for two weeks. Time to keep up that crazy play time to make sure my alts are geared as well".

I'd say world first raiders prior to the lock out change probably raided/played less then your avg 20 hour a week guild. But now that is definitely not the case with all the alts and mythic+ they have to run during their down time.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
That's loving insane.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Rhymenoserous posted:

That's loving insane.

On my comment about redoing the fight perfectly until the RNG ticks every box for you, here is the report of Method getting the world first on the second to last boss of this tier

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I wondering how many screaming fits and meltdown they had during those 453 attempts.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
A lot of the top WoW raiding guilds have quit or raid casually now since Legion's launch. It's just become to much now to go for World 1st.

Also there's probably more activity here than in Wildstar.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Probably half the progression guilds in the race at the start of legion have disbanded by now. Eventually there probably will only be one per region being method, exorsus, limit and afkr because by now finding people with the depth of knowledge of the game, play skill and time is almost impossible without cannibalising another progression guild. That this wildstar guild felt that Limit only raiding 1 day per week was a weakness that meant they would be better underscores just how few people really are good enough and broke brained enough to do progression raiding. Limit are sitting in 3rd, wildstar guild disbanded.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I remember reading about a day in the life of a bleeding edge raid member, and how he'd wake up at 5am or something to do the daily WoW chores, go to work, and then raid until like 1 or 2 in the morning. At the time, however, this was only for two or so weeks, at which point I guess his schedule started to resemble a normal human being's. I dunno how it's like now in the "off-season" or whatever, but artifacts definitely add a higher grind for alts. You can get the boost to the grind immediately as items exist for alts to do just that, but when you have loving 4-5 alts that's still quite the time commitment to keep them all relevant.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

CoffeeBooze posted:

I wondering how many screaming fits and meltdown they had during those 453 attempts.

They sound pretty chill in their kill videos. :shrug:

Also this is how you keep people playing the hours method does lmao(not really) tldr is people felt officers were getting more then they deserved.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

I remember reading about a day in the life of a bleeding edge raid member, and how he'd wake up at 5am or something to do the daily WoW chores, go to work, and then raid until like 1 or 2 in the morning. At the time, however, this was only for two or so weeks, at which point I guess his schedule started to resemble a normal human being's. I dunno how it's like now in the "off-season" or whatever, but artifacts definitely add a higher grind for alts. You can get the boost to the grind immediately as items exist for alts to do just that, but when you have loving 4-5 alts that's still quite the time commitment to keep them all relevant.

It's probably play the game until 1-2 am doing chores for all the alts everyday you aren't raiding.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Bear in mind something mentioned in that screengrab is 'boosting' or running people through raids and dungeons for real world money. Add that onto the list of things you are expected to do. Incidentally blizzard selectively punish people for doing it too so you may wake up one day with your account permabanned and need to regear all your raid chars.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Byolante posted:

Bear in mind something mentioned in that screengrab is 'boosting' or running people through raids and dungeons for real world money. Add that onto the list of things you are expected to do. Incidentally blizzard selectively punish people for doing it too so you may wake up one day with your account permabanned and need to regear all your raid chars.

Why do they ban people for this? It's not like you can do anything with gold except spend cash on raid food or raid carries, in these silly modern mmos where everything binds on pickup?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Probably because you can use WOW Tokens for your sub or for Bnet credit now.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
poo poo I didn't read that correctly it said real world money not gold, sorry. I can understand that.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Babe Magnet posted:

Invective disbanded lol

Here's the GM of invective asking why the other guilds are poaching his members, lmao. He gets dunked on the longer he keeps pestering the other dude. "People from lesser guilds join better guilds to do the content they want to do" hahahaha

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/156498346?t=18m37s

Minera fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 6, 2017

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol that video

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Minrad posted:

Here's the GM of invective asking why the other guilds are poaching his members, lmao. He gets dunked on the longer he keeps pestering the other dude. "People from lesser guilds join better guilds to do the content they want to do" hahahaha

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/156498346?t=18m37s

"You know what my guild is that were a meme and all that"

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I've always been a bit curious about this: Do these world first raiding guilds get paid? Where is the money coming from? Outside of boosting/PLing people, I suppose.

It just seems a bit odd.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Mayor McCheese posted:

I've always been a bit curious about this: Do these world first raiding guilds get paid? Where is the money coming from? Outside of boosting/PLing people, I suppose.

It just seems a bit odd.

Method has esports/sponsorship. I am not sure about the rest.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

We should get in on that, get sponsors for goon guilds.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

goons would have to be good at games for that to happen

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Didnt the Eve guild's leadership get paid to plug some lovely zombie game at one point?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

it's even worse now. These people on top of raiding 60 hours a week for 2 weeks are also keeping 4-6 alts near raid ready for class stacking. So gone are the days of "we just hammered this boss for a week or two straight now we get to raid 2 hours a week for the next 6 months". Now its "ok we just played a poo poo load for two weeks. Time to keep up that crazy play time to make sure my alts are geared as well".

I'd say world first raiders prior to the lock out change probably raided/played less then your avg 20 hour a week guild. But now that is definitely not the case with all the alts and mythic+ they have to run during their down time.

idk whether this is the case now but back in cataclysm some top-tier raider hung out in the blizzard subforum, and said getting alts geared wasn't a big thing. They'd raid 3 hours twice a week after the race was over, resulting in two full completions per week. Over the course of 6 months everybody gets the gear they need for all their alts. The point of farm night was to do the thing so you'd be ready for next tier & get everyone back to their real lives as efficiently as possible.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Byolante posted:

Method has esports/sponsorship. I am not sure about the rest.

Hahaha, ah okay. It's dumber than I thought. God bless esports

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

30.5 Days posted:

idk whether this is the case now but back in cataclysm some top-tier raider hung out in the blizzard subforum, and said getting alts geared wasn't a big thing. They'd raid 3 hours twice a week after the race was over, resulting in two full completions per week. Over the course of 6 months everybody gets the gear they need for all their alts. The point of farm night was to do the thing so you'd be ready for next tier & get everyone back to their real lives as efficiently as possible.

That used to be true. Unfortunately the content pipeline now is far better than it used to be and the PTR for the next raid tier goes up the week after mythic opens. As soon as you have mythic on farm you start spending days of your life on the ptr getting practice so when go time happens on the live servers you already are most of the way there.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Since we were talking firefall earlier: http://www.red5studios.com/2017/07/firefall-closure-announcement

No warning beforehand either. Apparently as recent as May they were working on a PS4 port.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Pants Donkey posted:

Since we were talking firefall earlier: http://www.red5studios.com/2017/07/firefall-closure-announcement

No warning beforehand either. Apparently as recent as May they were working on a PS4 port.

May 2016

This is it. The final revamp.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Nah, Im sure if the mobile version releases theyll be able to fit in at least a few more revamps.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mayor McCheese posted:

It just seems a bit odd.

I linked it on the past page. Methods payout for boosting got leaked and yea they do get paid but it's not worth what kind of hours they put in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
no surprise Firefall is finally dead, it's only a matter of time for Wildstar

pretty sure the MMO market is DOA for new MMOs (especially hardcore cupcake mmos). only the current crop of established juggernauts will continue to thrive

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 7, 2017

• Locked thread