Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Being a thousandaire in Indiana doesn't seem to bad.

Have you been to Indiana?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
... I just bought two more parts Rx-7's to finish a project. HELP ME I'M TURNING INTO CAT INTERCEPTOR!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fireworks chat: The trailer park yokels behind us managed to aim a rocket at the wall.

It's still completely loving bright out, sunset isn't for another few hours.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Geoj posted:

Have you been to Indiana?

It's probably boring as poo poo culture wise but you're 3 hours away from Indy, Road America, Mid-ohio. A tank of gas away from VIR, Road atlanta, Barber. Probably a bunch of nascar junk, too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tomarse posted:

set your sights higher...

That house is under a HOA. They're all the same in the city limits, there'd be no shop or any out buildings allowed.

Powershift posted:

It's probably boring as poo poo culture wise but you're 3 hours away from Indy, Road America, Mid-ohio. A tank of gas away from VIR, Road atlanta, Barber. Probably a bunch of nascar junk, too.

We're 2.5 hours from Chicago or Detroit, 2 from Indy, 3 from Cleveland. There's plenty to do and Fort Wayne was just named the most affordable place to live in the nation.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

the spyder posted:

... I just bought two more parts Rx-7's to finish a project. HELP ME I'M TURNING INTO CAT INTERCEPTOR!

You are fine, it's not Subarus.

.... have I really gone that far off the deep end?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I like my home in Southern Indiana. Its affordable, unemployment is low, the wealth gap isn't as bad as the place I grew up in, and the people have been ok to me. Sure there are drugs and career degenerates but you get that anywhere.

I don't like the lovely politics the rest of the state is known for but I can say that about pretty much any rural area in this country.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Rhyno posted:

We're 2.5 hours from Chicago or Detroit, 2 from Indy, 3 from Cleveland. There's plenty to do and Fort Wayne was just named the most affordable place to live in the nation.

Northwest Arkansas is similar. Think what you will about WalMart, but they have been a huge pillar of the economy here for the past several decades. Home prices in the major cities are rising like crazy and houses are going under contract sometimes within hours of being listed. The wife and I bought a house in a small town 8 miles south of the NWA metro area because it's so much cheaper down here and our commute to work is still only 20 minutes.

I'd love to be nearer cool stuff but...eh. Gas is cheap (for now) and our house was 110k soo V:shobon:V

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

I don't know if you've ever looked into recovery of a 3.4tonne permanent 4WD vehicle that is also taller, wider and weirder than most of the other stuff you see on the road - but its hard. I have breakdown cover with my insurance on it and they claim that they will cover it, but i suspect it will end up in a long wait for a flatbed.. I'd like to be able to fix/bodge it myself!

That was the case with my 2a Lightweight; nearly every time it was:

small van turns up, fiddles, can't fix, refuses to tow 4WD anywhere on a dolly, drives off

three hours later, flatbed turns up and takes me home

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

the spyder posted:

Only two more parts RX-7s? Lolol.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Previa_fun posted:

Northwest Arkansas is similar. Think what you will about WalMart, but they have been a huge pillar of the economy here for the past several decades. Home prices in the major cities are rising like crazy and houses are going under contract sometimes within hours of being listed. The wife and I bought a house in a small town 8 miles south of the NWA metro area because it's so much cheaper down here and our commute to work is still only 20 minutes.

I'd love to be nearer cool stuff but...eh. Gas is cheap (for now) and our house was 110k soo V:shobon:V

The housing market here is booming but prices are stable. You can get a lot of house for under $150K if you have the time to watch the market.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

As many reviews said, the new DooM is awesome. Been playing it all day.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

LloydDobler posted:

Rip and tear!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

LloydDobler posted:

I just beat it today. Even the end credits are really great.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

The housing market here is booming but prices are stable. You can get a lot of house for under $150K if you have the time to watch the market.

A few years ago out here, you could get a decent starter house in a decent area for that. If you didn't mind moving out of the city a bit, you could get a brand new house on a decent lot.

Now? If you want to stay in a decent area, the best you're gonna do for that will be a condo, or a house that needs a shitload of work. If you don't care about the neighborhood, you can get a small 3 bedroom house in a not great area.

The Ft Worth side of DFW is a bit cheaper though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Houses here range from free to $70k in the "up and coming" neighbourhoods to $500k in the nice neighbourhoods

I got an older(1978) house in an older sub in the city with the best schools for $200k, put some work into it and now it's worth around $269k.

I don't plan on leaving any time soon since everything is in walking distance or five minutes via car

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I live in Portland. 10 years ago you could get a nice house for 250k. Now 500k buys you a starter home because people keep moving here, telecommuting to high paying jobs in Silicon Valley, pricing out the natives and making GBS threads up the quality of life.

I hate my house and want to move but can't afford the 750k it'd take to be closer to work and in a good school district.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Houses here range from free to $70k in the "up and coming" neighbourhoods to $500k in the nice neighbourhoods

I got an older(1978) house in an older sub in the city with the best schools for $200k, put some work into it and now it's worth around $269k.

I don't plan on leaving any time soon since everything is in walking distance or five minutes via car

Fort Wayne and surrounding towns are experiencing a massive boom. There's a shitload of jobs all of a sudden (too bad nobody wants to work) and not enough "nice" houses to go around. The $150K one I posted is the same age as yours and needs practically nothing but since it's in a dead area of the city (no more land for development) it has a reasonable price. There's a house of roughly the same size and age about 2 miles from our complex and it's $275K.

Edit: This is another house that's pretty close to what we'd want. It's a bit dated and doesn't have the lot size the other one has but holy hell that basement is rad.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...097_rect/10_zm/

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 5, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

Fort Wayne and surrounding towns are experiencing a massive boom. There's a shitload of jobs all of a sudden (too bad nobody wants to work) and not enough "nice" houses to go around. The $150K one I posted is the same age as yours and needs practically nothing but since it's in a dead area of the city (no more land for development) it has a reasonable price. There's a house of roughly the same size and age about 2 miles from our complex and it's $275K.

Edit: This is another house that's pretty close to what we'd want. It's a bit dated and doesn't have the lot size the other one has but holy hell that basement is rad.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...097_rect/10_zm/

I'd much rather have a house built in the 20s than the 70s. We have a lot of late 60s-80s houses in our kinda inner ring suburbs and they're aging badly.
Any house that's made it 100 years in a shape that can pass a home inspection is pretty solid and most of the electrics and plumbing have likely been done by now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Godfuckingdamn. That's a lot of house. Definitely dated (and why is the dishwasher so far from the sink?), but tons of room and looks like a decent layout.

We don't get basements here. :smith:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Doggo is hating the fireworks :( She's currently hiding under a blanket at my feet. Hopefully the rednecks knock if off soon. Someone must have had a sale on 3" motors.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My dads neighbours spent literally $200,000 on fireworks for their block party and they started launching 4" mortars at like 9:30. Its 2:30a and they're still going

They've been having fun skipping them across the lake lmao

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Houses are a complete rip off in Australia, yet the property bubble that's supposed to have burst over the past 3 odd years still hasn't done anything.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

the spyder posted:

You say that like its a bad thing

IOwnCalculus posted:

Fireworks chat: The trailer park yokels behind us managed to aim a rocket at the wall.

It's still completely loving bright out, sunset isn't for another few hours.
Our neighborhood was nearly silent...until 3 loving AM in the morning when they started launching mortars from the cul-de-sac making all the dogs go nuts. Great way to start the day :fuckoff:

Previa_fun posted:

Seeing the same thing is East TN right now, most houses selling in under a week at asking price or better. We toured a house less than 48 hours after it hit the market, put in an offer right after the tour (we had walked around and decided we wanted it unless something was really off inside). By the end of that day they had four other tours and two other offers, luckily we put in a pretty aggressive offer and they took it. It needs some updates (kitchen/baths) and maintenance (deck/floors) but the price was right and the location is both amazing and ideal commute for both of us. Inspection tomorrow then hopefully closing at the end of the month.

LloydDobler posted:

Knew I was forgetting a game during this sale. Know the craptop won't play it but sim rig should. Does it play ok with a controller?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KozmoNaut posted:

Well gently caress. The clutch dropped to the floor while I was driving home from my girlfriend's place. I managed to get it into a parking space, but I can't see any obvious leaks or anything, so who knows.

It's getting picked up this afternoon, and I'm already preparing for the inevitable rear end-raping.

It's all hosed to poo poo, clutch fork, bearing and clutch. $1,600 repair, gently caress me sideways with a rake :emo:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

It's all hosed to poo poo, clutch fork, bearing and clutch. $1,600 repair, gently caress me sideways with a rake :emo:

What? How? Did you bend the fork?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CommieGIR posted:

What? How? Did you bend the fork?

Yup, either bent or completely broken.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Yup, either bent or completely broken.

Wonder how that happened. Bad fork design or siezed/stuck pressure plate causing it to snap.

Ask if they'll let you take photos of the broken parts.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CommieGIR posted:

Wonder how that happened. Bad fork design or siezed/stuck pressure plate causing it to snap.

Ask if they'll let you take photos of the broken parts.

Probably the pressure plate, if I were to guess. It made some grinding noises right before it happened, with the clutch pushed in. 16 year old parts and wear and tear, most likely.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

drat, I just assumed it was something in the hydraulics, bad slave or something.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I like the concept of having a candy dish on my desk, but god drat if the morning people don't clean it out within a few hours of bringing stuff out. I've learned I'm passive aggressive nice.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Cage posted:

passive aggressive nice.

Is that like some kind of d&d alignment? "Hey guys, this is my wizard. His name is Cage, he's passive aggressive nice."

You Am I posted:

Houses are a complete rip off in Australia, yet the property bubble that's supposed to have burst over the past 3 odd years still hasn't done anything.

Housing bubbles are like gas prices, everyone knows its gonna blow up sooner or later, but pretends like everything will be fine forever. About our housing bubble:

quote:

This interplay has caused house prices to increase by 230% between 1996 and 2016, according to Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) data, as wells as household debt to rise. Data from Sveriges Riksbank, Sweden’s central bank, show the average debt‐to-income ratio for households with mortgages reached 343% in 2016, while the ratio exceeds 600% for 13% of these households, raising concerns of a housing bubble. In 2016 alone, house price inflation averaged at 9.4%.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
At work I'm chaotic evil.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The last time I bought cookies etc into work I locked the excess up in my desk at the end of my shift. In the morning my desk had been broken open and my good torch, work camera, laser and all my decent pens had also been stolen.

Pro tip it's easier to lever the top up on the average desk drawer unit than to break the lock.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cage posted:

I like the concept of having a candy dish on my desk, but god drat if the morning people don't clean it out within a few hours of bringing stuff out. I've learned I'm passive aggressive nice.

A client gave me a tub of sweets of an unknown brand. Mostly lemon or strawberry and other generic, nice stuff.

He didn't tell me that there were some in there that were called 'dog fart' , 'seagull poo poo' and 'dead sheep'. Or that these names were incredibly descriptive.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

spog posted:

A client gave me a tub of sweets of an unknown brand. Mostly lemon or strawberry and other generic, nice stuff.

He didn't tell me that there were some in there that were called 'dog fart' , 'seagull poo poo' and 'dead sheep'. Or that these names were incredibly descriptive.
D:

Last week my bowl was filled with assorted jelly bellys, but luckily none of the weird gross flavors.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I have strawberry bon-bons on my desk.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I saw my parents at the weekend, which means I've taken some of my mum's shortbread in to work. If you bake or have someone else who does, this is the best recipe:

Shortbread Recipe posted:

250g butter, softened
250g plain flour
125g cornflour
125g icing sugar
Caster sugar for dredging

Method
1. Pre-heat oven to 150 C/300 F
2. Grease a 270mm x 170mm x 30mm tin.
3. Soften the butter in a large bowl.
4. Add the flour, icing sugar and cornflour. Work together with the hands to form a ball. (Handle as lightly as possible)
5. Place mixture in the greased tin and flatten using the palm of the hand.
6. Prick all over with a fork.
7. Bake for 50-60 minutes. The cooked shortbread should be a pale golden colour all over; do not allow it to become golden brown.
8. Remove from the oven, cut into fingers and dredge all over with caster sugar. Leave to cool in the tin.

KozmoNaut posted:

$1600? Did you buy an E60 M5 or something? Jesus Christ mate.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I should fill it with violet candies. I love them but most people hate them. Plus giving them to people who never had them before is always fun.

"It tastes like soap!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Nidhg00670000 posted:

This interplay has caused house prices to increase by 230% between 1996 and 2016, according to Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) data, as wells as household debt to rise. Data from Sveriges Riksbank, Sweden’s central bank, show the average debt‐to-income ratio for households with mortgages reached 343% in 2016, while the ratio exceeds 600% for 13% of these households, raising concerns of a housing bubble. In 2016 alone, house price inflation averaged at 9.4%.

Holy poo poo folks are buying houses six times their annual income?

• Locked thread