Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha thanks to whoever pointed us in the direction of the GBS thread, there's some gold in there

I watched The Art Life last night. It was a cool, relaxing watch but I didn't feel I got much I hadn't previously got from biographies etc, although seeing him at work in his studio is fascinating and of course his voice is the best ever. I recommend it but I can't say it's essential

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Escobarbarian posted:

hahaha thanks to whoever pointed us in the direction of the GBS thread, there's some gold in there

I watched The Art Life last night. It was a cool, relaxing watch but I didn't feel I got much I hadn't previously got from biographies etc, although seeing him at work in his studio is fascinating and of course his voice is the best ever. I recommend it but I can't say it's essential

If you're interested in Lynch, David Wants to Fly is pretty crucial, imo. Lynch is a real auteur type, and he wants you to view him a certain way. The film really dismantles him in funny and sometimes cruel ways.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

kaworu posted:

Is it? The episode title is "Gotta Light?" on Amazon's showtime channel for whatever it's worth, not "Got a Light?"

I wouldn't give it any credence if it weren't for the inexplicable women screaming "ONE ONE NINE!" and the general importance seemingly random numbers have in the series.

We've already had lots of numbers as "hints" or numbers that have seeming meaning beyond the mundane - such as 315, or 253 which seems to have meant 2:53 on a given day. We were also told by the giant to "remember 430".

And "119" is another clearly significant number on the show just from the woman shouting it. The names might just be a coincidence, but there's an awful lot of numerology going on here, IMO.

Did you know in Boston, 430 is the fire department incident code for "Radioactive"?

Is your mind blown yet?

https://www.facebook.com/notes/bost...50267180342961/

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So, Bad Coop somehow made Dougie out of Major Briggs, before he "died on a fire".

Dougie purpose was to be a decoy from when Good Coop comes back, and it worked: both Bad Coop and Dougie were being sucked by the electricity socket when Good Coop was coming back to the world, but Bad Coop resisted puking, while Dougie didint, so he was sucked to the Black Lodge instead of Bad Coop.

Coop was to recover his soul from Bad Coop after he was sucked back to the Black Lodge, but he didnt, because it was Dougie instead, and that's why he is retarded

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

hanales posted:

Did you know in Boston, 430 is the fire department incident code for "Radioactive"?

Is your mind blown yet?

Um. Not really, no.

I understand that this very much inductive reasoning (what isn't, when you're talking about this sort of thing?) and that the premises of the argument are very weak, but that doesn't mean it's entirely force, or not worth discussing.

I can understand why it's seen as worth being trolled/mocked too, obviously.

Anyway, can we start talking about the ways in which a mushroom cloud resembles a big hard cock, and what Lynch means there? Man/BOB raping the world with its hot throbbing mushroom cloud penis? Maybe the Woodsmen are more like sperm. No wait, the Frog-Moths are obviously the sperm.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 4, 2017

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Coop was to recover his soul from Bad Coop after he was sucked back to the Black Lodge, but he didnt, because it was Dougie instead, and that's why he is retarded

That actually kind of makes sense. It would explain why Cooper doesn't have his memories, it's because Dopplecoop has them.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

King Vidiot posted:

That actually kind of makes sense. It would explain why Cooper doesn't have his memories, it's because Dopplecoop has them.

Yeah, and Bad Cooper do have Cooper memories, or at least that is implied in his conversation with Gordon

Also, rewatching that episode, for the second time I got the impression that Bad Cooper also got kinda weird, and slower, after the accident. Maybe it got something to do with the fact that he did puked a lot, even if it was after Dougie was already sucked to the Black Lodge in his place. That vomit with the supernatural bad smell has to have some significance, I think

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So is the new show on Netflix a continuation or a remake?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

So is the new show on Netflix a continuation or a remake?

If your Netflix has the new season, it is a continuation and practically requires you to be familiar with the old stuff. There's no remake or reboot.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Inland Empire is defintly the most scary of all. But Eraserhead is the most uncomfortable to watch

edit: also, Ive watched Inland Empire at the movie theater and I remember several people leaving before the end of the movie. It's a great movie, though

The first time I saw inland empire was at a small movie theater in Chandler AZ, they were having a david lynch film festival and I was literally the only person to show up lol. I got to sit in a theater by myself and watch inland empire all alone and it was absolutely terrifying. Prob the best film experience I've ever had.

Lanz posted:

Catching back up on the thread has me thinking about the scenes with Frank and his wife again. Before the reveal about their son's suicide, they obviously come across as a cliched "husband who's just putting up with a stereotypical nagging wife" type deal. However, introducing the knowledge of the suicide, I wonder if that changes the reading?

I took it as an intentional twist on that stoic husband putting up with his nagging wife thing, where we find out that Doris is actually traumatized by grief and Truman comes across more as an emotionally stunted man incapable of being there for his wife.

There's a facebook group called "twin peaks for feminists" that seemed to start as a "safe place" for decent discussion on social issues in the show but quickly became a super toxic place. Someone posted about how much they enjoyed the episodic format and how it allowed them to reflect on things and make different reveals more impactful. I agreed and said I liked having a week to wonder about the inclusion of a stereotypical stoic husband/nagging wife only to get hit with the reveal that she was actually grieving and he was emotionally unavailable. I was immediately banned for this :downs:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also, rewatching that episode, for the second time I got the impression that Bad Cooper also got kinda weird, and slower, after the accident. Maybe it got something to do with the fact that he did puked a lot, even if it was after Dougie was already sucked to the Black Lodge in his place. That vomit with the supernatural bad smell has to have some significance, I think

I definitely got this impression too because of his inadvertant backwards speak and his resorting to scrambling the electronics while making that phone call and of course his getting tricked/taking soooooo long to set up them pulling over in the middle of nowhere to shoot him before the tables are turned. Prior to the switch attempt he comes off as a ruthless and efficient smooth operator. After the shell and knowledge of that is still there but it feels like he has to really brace and steel himself prior to every encounter with people.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Watching the edit of FWWM with the missing pieces integrated. I feel like the new season has trained me up to it because I'm surprised at how easy it is to watch the 3.5 hours

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

hanales posted:

Is your mind blown yet?

Maybe it's foreshadowing that the next band featured on the show is gonna be that awful radioactive song band.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Rewatched Eraserhead for the first time in a couple years and just realized that Mary X is Mrs. Briggs. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that the baby and Bobby are half-siblings

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

What if there's no new episode on Sunday and there's no new episode ever and there are just eight parts and Twin Peaks is over.

vvvyeah i agree

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 4, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ingmar terdman posted:

What if there's no new episode on Sunday and there's no new episode ever and there are just eight parts and Twin Peaks is over.

that would be fine.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
But I have only been jerking it into a tin can for 60 days. There's no way I can summon a golem in this short amount of time.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
:popeye: dougie's theme is an actual song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijcTx6vBoJw

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Neo Rasa posted:

I definitely got this impression too because of his inadvertant backwards speak and his resorting to scrambling the electronics while making that phone call and of course his getting tricked/taking soooooo long to set up them pulling over in the middle of nowhere to shoot him before the tables are turned. Prior to the switch attempt he comes off as a ruthless and efficient smooth operator. After the shell and knowledge of that is still there but it feels like he has to really brace and steel himself prior to every encounter with people.

I actually changed my mind about this, after rewatching 7 & 8: Bad Cooper really looks and sounds retarded while talking to Gordon and then Diane, but he seems sharp as before out of those interviews. I guess what's really supposed to be going here is that during those talks he was trying to sound like the real Cooper.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

edit: I actually hate this video I'll try and find a better one the neckbeard narrating it sounds too neckbeardish

kaworu fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 5, 2017

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Yeah, Johnny Jewel worked on a bunch of music for this season, which is what the Windswept album is. The show has used "The Flame," too.

All non-Badalamenti stuff has been credited each episode. I've got a Spotify playlist going of everything so far.

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

chime_on posted:

Yeah, Johnny Jewel worked on a bunch of music for this season, which is what the Windswept album is. The show has used "The Flame," too.

All non-Badalamenti stuff has been credited each episode. I've got a Spotify playlist going of everything so far.

Link the list!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At this point I have no idea what new music I've heard actually IS Badalamenti

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Escobarbarian posted:

At this point I have no idea what new music I've heard actually IS Badalamenti

I think the child getting run over/giant orb creation piece is almost certainly Badalamenti. However, I'm not sure what else is.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010
The Windswept album is only $1 on his website by the way. It's a pretty great album.

http://italiansdoitbetter.bigcartel.com/

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Thom and the Heads posted:

i kind of bounced off blue velvet. too much gross sex

huh? there is literally zero sex, unless you count Frank finger banging Dorothy with a piece of her robe and dry humping her?

also i know the re-subtitled hitler rant scene from Downfall are pretty over done, this one is a good TW one though, fair warning, do not watch unless you aren't caught up till episode 8!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGsdP5PlANw

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 5, 2017

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
drat.

https://twitter.com/robertwolpert/status/880826061935845376

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

th3t00t posted:

I enjoy paint splatter art and contemporary photography. I just looked up Stranger Than Paradise on youtube and wow.... it's even worse than a Lynch film.

I feel like after watching Lynch or Jarmusch you have one of 2 reactions. You admit to yourself you just watched garbage, or your brain misfires and you feel a false sense of superiority for liking it when no one else does.

Great well the door to better threads is thataway, so... bye!

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
https://twitter.com/simpsonsfilms/status/882682816672215040

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

wait i always thought he was saying "bob" in that scene

e: my god

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

idgi

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

vivisectvnv posted:

huh? there is literally zero sex, unless you count Frank finger banging Dorothy with a piece of her robe and dry humping her?
there's that scene, the scene where kyle maclachlan and isabella rossellini finally have sex/she asks him to hurt her and like 20 scenes of making out that started disgusting me after a while. i should probably give it a second chance but it didn't draw me in or keep me interested like mulholland drive did.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm gonna be pissed if we get to the end of this season and we still don't see the two mountains

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Thom and the Heads posted:

there's that scene, the scene where kyle maclachlan and isabella rossellini finally have sex/she asks him to hurt her and like 20 scenes of making out that started disgusting me after a while. i should probably give it a second chance but it didn't draw me in or keep me interested like mulholland drive did.

i kind of like that movie for the whole thing of kyle and laura dern being insane morally repugnant voyeurs who learn basically nothing but "wow what a rush" by the end

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

cliffy posted:

Link the list!

https://open.spotify.com/user/chime_on/playlist/7MwRSbWJjJtwa0AefQLnrC

I only put one of the two Uniform songs. I didn't put "Take Five" on there because it's the hold music at my workplace and I don't ever really need to hear it because of that. Didn't put the Penderecki on there because this is mainly for driving, and I don't want to drive off the road in despair.

Other than that, I think it's complete.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Frank Grimes episode kinda reminds me of Dougie with Grimes getting mad at Homer for succeeding in life by basically doing nothing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

JazzFlight posted:

The Frank Grimes episode kinda reminds me of Dougie with Grimes getting mad at Homer for succeeding in life by basically doing nothing.

It reminded you of journalists hand-wringing about how Dougie is problematic?

MRA PUA Tay-Tay Fan
Sep 12, 2001
I'm back Bitches

Suit: MATCH Tie: (Rough) MATCH

Hair: MATCH

The only thing missing?

Is (or was or will) Homer be Dougie Jones (or related)? Because The Simpsons is one of the shows that takes place entirely in Tommy Westphall's mind, and I hear dreams are a recurring Lynch motif :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I think this gotta be a "Simpsons-Did-It" coincidence or like, both twin peaks and simpsons were referencing the same, earlier piece of art

I don't think lynch would make a reference to a single episode of simpsons

but if any character in twin peaks was going to make ANNOYED-GRUNT it would be dougie..