Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There's only four decks.

An insect one would be pretty rad. I really, REALLY hope we get a Knight deck too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I dislike the idea of a Knight tribal edh deck because it can only have one Knight Exemplar

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Abzan Fungus Tribal. I want Thelon of Havenwood but on crack

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Since Arahbo is an Avatar I assume he's just like the Ur-Dragon, a literal personification of Cat. The other two decks are probably lead by Avatars too.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Saproling tribal.

Enchantress tribal (if only).

Ooze tribal could genuinely be fun and they're weird enough that a powerful one could sneak into print.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Aranan posted:

Saproling tribal.

Enchantress tribal (if only).

Ooze tribal could genuinely be fun and they're weird enough that a powerful one could sneak into print.

Mimeoplasm already exists. :v:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Archenteron posted:

Abzan Fungus Tribal. I want Thelon of Havenwood but on crack

real talk green black fungus in time spiral draft was one of my favorite archetypes ever

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Thallids are the fuckin best.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

It occurs to me that the Dragon deck actually had a new legendary Cat card in it. If all the decks actually share themes (they probably don't) then the other two decks might be Spirits and Monks.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Retromancer posted:

Imagine having a job so dull that you write poo poo like this.

Well their day job is writing Magic Story

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is this the year of stupid leaks or what? It's literally up on an eb games site for presell. No detective work, just sitting there, ready to go.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Mezzanon posted:

I hope you turned that into a like a car or a family holiday or something.

It turned out that my dad had partners back then so we felt obligated to whack it up 4 ways. Still, about $6k a pop. Thanks rich guy in SF who wanted to draft it.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

Is this the year of stupid leaks or what? It's literally up on an eb games site for presell. No detective work, just sitting there, ready to go.

Nah just give it a few minutes and some genius will be along to tell you that these are intentional.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Soul Glo posted:

Cats, Dragons and Insects were guessed at since the story took place in Ravnica right?

So what're the best guesses for the other two?

I think the insect story was to show everyone what Vraska is up to

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It turned out that my dad had partners back then so we felt obligated to whack it up 4 ways. Still, about $6k a pop. Thanks rich guy in SF who wanted to draft it.

This is extremely decent of y'all. I've been a partner in a game store and definitely would be hosed over by the main partner if he found anything at all of value remaining.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

C-Euro posted:

RIP to everyone who wanted Elves in G or whatever
Man I wish they'd make a mono-G elf deck for commander. And wouldn't it be awesome if it had, like, a planeswalker as a commander or something?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Siivola posted:

Man I wish they'd make a mono-G elf deck for commander. And wouldn't it be awesome if it had, like, a planeswalker as a commander or something?
But just in case you don't want a planeswalker commander, it should come with some kind of other legendary elf lord as an option too.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I just want a Merfolk deck with reprints of all the key creatures for Modern Merfolk. Hopefully the upcoming duel deck will be able to provide that, but I have a feeling that only Lord of Atlantis or Master of the Pearl Trident is going to be the included lord if it's not something from Ixalan.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Star Man posted:

I just want a Merfolk deck with reprints of all the key creatures for Modern Merfolk. Hopefully the upcoming duel deck will be able to provide that, but I have a feeling that only Lord of Atlantis or Master of the Pearl Trident is going to be the included lord if it's not something from Ixalan.

There is no reason something like Cursecatcher couldn't be reprinted in any set. They just choose not to.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GoutPatrol posted:

There is no reason something like Cursecatcher couldn't be reprinted in any set. They just choose not to.

Because creative said there aren't cursecatchers in this plane.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

thats also why they could have never reprinted the dual lands, those biomes just dont exist naturally in the planes we've been seeing in sets

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I pray that one of the commander decks is Merfolk.
I then pray they reprint Lord of Atlantis.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

to be honest, we just don't have merfolk all that frequently it feels like

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
We already know there's gonna be Merfolk in Ixalan and there's sure as hell gonna be more of them in Dominaria.

Dominaria in particular seems like the best place for potential reprints - Ixalan might have some, but it looks like they're doing some new UG thing with them so they'll probably be focused mostly in that direction, and commander is probably not a safe outlet for that kind of reprint. I'm not sure standard is in a place where it can handle two mana lords, though Cursecatcher is probably safe to dump wherever.

...then again, having Cursecatcher be the most expensive card in your deck that isn't a land or vial is a pretty first world problem.

EDIT: I guess Return to Zendikar could have done better for Merfolk if they had printed any good cards in the set.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 5, 2017

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I just tried to read a tournament report on pucatrade.com, and got a warning that it was a phishing website. How the mighty have fallen. I mean, everyone knew it was a ponzi scheme, but at least it was a reputable ponzi scheme.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Hopefully Lord of Atlantis will be a functional reprint for ~lore~ reason, so modern Merfolk can run 12 copies of the same card instead of just 8.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Shovelmint posted:

I just tried to read a tournament report on pucatrade.com, and got a warning that it was a phishing website. How the mighty have fallen. I mean, everyone knew it was a ponzi scheme, but at least it was a reputable ponzi scheme.

That's likely a technical issues that has to do with their certs expiring, not the fact that they torpedoed their own site.

Also sell off chaff for funbux, convert funbux into better cards is a good idea in concept. They just decided to throw a bunch of barriers in the way of being able to do that instead of just monetizing the funbux and selling ads.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Count Bleck posted:

I pray that one of the commander decks is Merfolk.
I then pray they reprint Lord of Atlantis.

Merfolk doesn't work well in EDH. I tried it once with white Sygg. One of my friends played Elesh Norn just once and the game was over for me. Nothing I could play would survive.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ThePeavstenator posted:

That's likely a technical issues that has to do with their certs expiring, not the fact that they torpedoed their own site.

Also sell off chaff for funbux, convert funbux into better cards is a good idea in concept. They just decided to throw a bunch of barriers in the way of being able to do that instead of just monetizing the funbux and selling ads.

I was always under the impression it was due to all the free money they put into the economy which tanked the value of their currency and required people having to put bounties and poo poo on their wants, and generally slowing down the utility of the site into nothingness.

I built most of my peasant cube using the site before it went to poo poo, though, so I can't complain too much.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ah, nicol bolas ends up double-crossing the one god who worked with him because ???

what an interesting and unusual character

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Elyv posted:

ah, nicol bolas ends up double-crossing the one god who worked with him because ???

what an interesting and unusual character

I mean, why would he want Bontu hanging around after he trashed the plane?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Kobold tribal with 40 different 0 cost kobolds.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ShaneB posted:

I was always under the impression it was due to all the free money they put into the economy which tanked the value of their currency and required people having to put bounties and poo poo on their wants, and generally slowing down the utility of the site into nothingness.

I built most of my peasant cube using the site before it went to poo poo, though, so I can't complain too much.

it was this and

ThePeavstenator posted:

turns out when 99% of people are looking to dump chaff and 1% are looking to turn their snapcasters into said chaff, there's going to be some issues

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

little munchkin posted:

it was this and

turns out when 99% of people are looking to dump chaff and 1% are looking to turn their snapcasters into said chaff, there's going to be some issues

Standard being more popular also meant that people were trading older stuff into standard garbo more easily. But otherwise yeah, edh players are basically the only ones holding that site together.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

DangerDongs posted:

Now that Marvel and cat are both finally gone. I think Standard is going to be in a pretty good place with most color combinations having validity. B/W planeswalkers is also viable again, so for that I am grateful.

What does that look like now, does it still top out at Sorin? Is it running some big creatures for Liliana, Death's Majesty?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I did the Puca shuffle for a little bit. Wound up turning some Origins prerelease crap and random Standard cards I acquired into EDH crap but also managed a Damnation and Gala's Cradle so it's hard to hate it even if the site is worthless now.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I traded a ton of commander jank and a few real cards and got a ton of cube foils, pauper stuff, and an UNL Scrubland. It was cool while it worked. Fortunately I was down to like 70 points when they rolled out their new site, and eventually several months after I forgot it existed someone sent me a Comet Storm to get me to exactly 0 points.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

OgreNoah posted:

Merfolk doesn't work well in EDH. I tried it once with white Sygg. One of my friends played Elesh Norn just once and the game was over for me. Nothing I could play would survive.

I was about to say something snarky like 'Too bad a deck with white in it doesn't have any way to remove creatures' but then I realize you probably meant Elesh Norn as a commander.

Good thing they cut the balls off of tuck effects so that there really is no way to make people's bullshit commanders go away forever, or at least for a significant amount of time.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

little munchkin posted:

Yeah exactly. When everything is valued at tcg mid or whatever it just exacerbates things. I had a coworker who was pretty religious about dumping his draft chaff and did turn it in to a number of cards with actual value but it never seemed worth my time investment. I was always worried about holding the bag with a leftover amount of points and no way to turn them in to something I want at the end of the day, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.

JerryLee posted:

I was about to say something snarky like 'Too bad a deck with white in it doesn't have any way to remove creatures' but then I realize you probably meant Elesh Norn as a commander.

Good thing they cut the balls off of tuck effects so that there really is no way to make people's bullshit commanders go away forever, or at least for a significant amount of time.

For a blue player, Declaration of Naught is still an all right tech choice that accomplishes something similar to the tuck rule.