Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

superh posted:

In my pre-Fate series re-watched I determined that The Family basically became super-heroes in 4.

For instance - Dom can hold an engine up on a pulley over a dude's head with one hand, but when he and Brian get into a fist fight, Brian only gets a small bloody nose.

But when Brian slams his FBI co-worker's face into the wall he's immediately bloodied and down for the count. There are just two separate levels of people in the FF universe now.

This divide has only amped up since then.

Also, in four, some random goon shoots Dom, who proceeds to just stare at him. Obviously, he's just not high enough level to hurt him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I was watching the first one again and I paused it during the final dash across the tracks. Brians car is actually first across them. He still spends the rest of the series crying about wanting to beat Dom.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Oh man. I don't think I've had as much fun in a movie theatre since Shoot Em Up. I even had flashbacks to that movie when Statham shows up in a jet powered flying suit.

This movie was ridiculous in all the right ways. The overarching villians plot effectively boiled down to 'I need a Nuclear Attack submarine, and the only way I can achieve this is by kidnapping Dominic Toretto.'

I think the comparison to the Saints Row series people make are spot on, if only for the 'memorable characters we've followed for a period of time, skills and knowlege incrementally being exagerated / escalated to a point they are literally super human.

I think my favourite is Ludacris' character. He goes from being a decent car mechanic to being the second best computer hacker in the world and in this one, has intimate knowledge of Russian nuclear attack submarines.

Roman is also now a more successfully executed Jar Jar Binks. He only exists to make silly quips and step in the poodoo.

The literal hand waving away of Statham's character previusly being a homicidal murderer, because he now makes goofy eyes at a child whilst saving its life was great too.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

So many months ago when F8 started advertising at work we were talking about how successful it would be. I bet a co-worker lunch that I thought it would out-gross F7 (I am optimistic) but he said the only reason people went to see it was because Paul Walker died. I knew there was a good chance I would lose and I am pretty sure I will. We decided that we would compare a two week box office total and whatever was higher would win.

I have tried my best at the :google: to see if there is a day by day comparison for tracking the box office totals (for worldwide totals) between F7 and F8. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

I saw the movie opening weekend and loved it. Much of the same praise/criticism others have expressed. One of the most egregious detours outside of the Shaw's being part of the crew? was having Budweiser and Stella Artois at the table. Not a single bottle of Corona. I thought that was weak.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So many months ago when F8 started advertising at work we were talking about how successful it would be. I bet a co-worker lunch that I thought it would out-gross F7 (I am optimistic) but he said the only reason people went to see it was because Paul Walker died. I knew there was a good chance I would lose and I am pretty sure I will. We decided that we would compare a two week box office total and whatever was higher would win.

I have tried my best at the :google: to see if there is a day by day comparison for tracking the box office totals (for worldwide totals) between F7 and F8. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

I saw the movie opening weekend and loved it. Much of the same praise/criticism others have expressed. One of the most egregious detours outside of the Shaw's being part of the crew? was having Budweiser and Stella Artois at the table. Not a single bottle of Corona. I thought that was weak.

They don't have a head to head comparison for 7 v 8, but here's the separate breakdowns for F8 and F7.
Edit: Well that's just the domestic, I don't see a daily breakdown for international on there.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

duz posted:

They don't have a head to head comparison for 7 v 8, but here's the separate breakdowns for F8 and F7.
Edit: Well that's just the domestic, I don't see a daily breakdown for international on there.

Foreign not being there is a huge blow to 8, which even with it is still under 7, but not by nearly as much. For 8 foreign totals are currently half of it's box office, while only about 25 percent of 7's.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

FF9 is going to be in China and Jet Li will be the bad guy and Jackie Chan a new member of the crew. Gotta get that international $$$ going

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
In FF9 they should find magic crystals they plug into the nos tank and it morphs their cars into mechs.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

got any sevens posted:

In FF9 they should find magic crystals they plug into the nos tank and it morphs their cars into mechs.

FF9 = Final Fantasy IX???

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Vince MechMahon posted:

Foreign not being there is a huge blow to 8, which even with it is still under 7, but not by nearly as much. For 8 foreign totals are currently half of it's box office, while only about 25 percent of 7's.

That was most what I was banking on in my longshot to win the bet was essentially the international market would carry the film. I knew the domestic totals wouldn't near what F7 did.

WhyteRyce posted:

FF9 is going to be in China and Jet Li will be the bad guy and Jackie Chan a new member of the crew. Gotta get that international $$$ going

This would be great if Jackie Chan was using old Mistu EVO's as his getaway cars.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Can we throw in Keanu and the Raid guys?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dom, that dog was the only family I had left
Yeah, I get that. Family

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

WhyteRyce posted:

Dom, that dog was the only family I had left
Yeah, I get that. Family

Fast 9: Rescue that Dog who is trapped in a space station on Europa that is gonna need Nos fueled rockets on sports cars to reach

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It will just be Dom and John driving muscle cars around smashing into things

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

It will just be Dom and John driving muscle cars around smashing into things

He will use Hobbes as a mobile cover.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Gatts posted:

Fast 9: Rescue that Dog who is trapped in a space station on Europa that is gonna need Nos fueled rockets on sports cars to reach

But enough about the sequel to Redline

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Gatts posted:

FFK9: Ain't no rules saying a dog can't street race.

Edit: Dom & the team must race to save not only the world, but the local rec center. "We're gonna raise money for this YMCA one quarter per mile at a time."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Maybe the next Fast and furious should be a bunch of skits to accommodate all the ideas. Like the end credits of 22 Jump Street. Or a blooper reel like that.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Gatts posted:

Maybe the next Fast and furious should be a bunch of skits to accommodate all the ideas. Like the end credits of 22 Jump Street. Or a blooper reel like that.

22 Jump Street has the best end credits ever imo

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

hiddenriverninja posted:

22 Jump Street has the best end credits ever imo

The best part is, according to creators, it's all canon.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Hmmm

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So is Vin directing his another spinoff? That kinda makes sense for the franchise. They can do a mainline every few years with the spinoffs coming in the alternating years. Like Star Wars.

The Fast & The Furious, a stealth Point Break remake about stealing DVD players is now in the same league as Star Wars. What a world.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That's p cool if just so we can get some more Mia, she wasn't the best character but also not the worst. and the unfortunate death of Paul made her exit inevitable.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That explains how they can bring Han back at least. A prequel.

Though I wonder how in the gently caress they go back to boosting VCRs amd poo poo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dexo posted:

Though I wonder how in the gently caress they go back to boosting VCRs amd poo poo.

Technology in the FF universe appears to have undergone a hyper improvement where in the same year that iPods could be sold on the street for good money a dude is talking on an 6th generation touch screen phone and within months is attempting to steal spy tech so unbelievably powerful compared to our world it may well be magic.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Barudak posted:

within months is attempting to steal spy tech so unbelievably powerful compared to our world it may well be magic.

Sounds realistic honestly.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I hope they make a prequel of the wacky, zany everyday antics they got into running that grocery store and the colorful characters who would hang out there

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dexo posted:

Dying in a Fast & Furious movie doesn't do anything. Dominic Torreto simply needs to cast a 9th level True Wish spell to act as corporeal resurrection. The required spell level is one less for every Family member present so long as it is targeting a member of his Family. This is thanks to his being a Car Paladin with the Family domain.

He temporarily lost his Family powers when he fell in F8, but surely has regained them by the end credits.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Barudak posted:

Technology in the FF universe appears to have undergone a hyper improvement where in the same year that iPods could be sold on the street for good money a dude is talking on an 6th generation touch screen phone and within months is attempting to steal spy tech so unbelievably powerful compared to our world it may well be magic.

F&F takes place in an alternate timeline where Japan was legally placed under a technological regression order after WWII. This is also why cops can't chase speeders

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Barudak posted:

Time Dilation effect due to drifting.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Just realized that Dom had to have been banging Elena on the side - after Letty got her memory back - given the relative age of his son and Brian's son.

So much for family I guess?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Guy really doesn't want his franchise stolen by The Rock

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

KaptainKrunk posted:

Just realized that Dom had to have been banging Elena on the side - after Letty got her memory back - given the relative age of his son and Brian's son.

So much for family I guess?

Sliding comic book time line. She got knocked up literally right before Hobbs came to get Dom.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
It's my belief that it was literally in the opening scene of 6 yeah.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

superh posted:

In my pre-Fate series re-watched I determined that The Family basically became super-heroes in 4.

For instance - Dom can hold an engine up on a pulley over a dude's head with one hand, but when he and Brian get into a fist fight, Brian only gets a small bloody nose.

But when Brian slams his FBI co-worker's face into the wall he's immediately bloodied and down for the count. There are just two separate levels of people in the FF universe now.

This divide has only amped up since then.

It's not coincidence that once Justin lin got Vin Diesel back due to d&d analogies, the crew started explicitly becoming leveled adventurers.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Hey, so, I got a small writing gig interviewing the great Debbie Evans (who's been the stunt driver in almost every movie ever) at the end of the month. Any requests for interview questions? Among other things, she's been Michelle 'Bad Chicca' Rodriguez's stunt driver for years, incuding all the Fast and Furious movies, and was the stunt rider for Trinity in the endless Matrix Reloaded freeway chase. 'Other things' are about 200 films, so it would take a while to list everything. Also, has anyone got any general interview tips?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0262700/

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Snowman_McK posted:

Hey, so, I got a small writing gig interviewing the great Debbie Evans (who's been the stunt driver in almost every movie ever) at the end of the month. Any requests for interview questions? Among other things, she's been Michelle 'Bad Chicca' Rodriguez's stunt driver for years, incuding all the Fast and Furious movies, and was the stunt rider for Trinity in the endless Matrix Reloaded freeway chase. 'Other things' are about 200 films, so it would take a while to list everything. Also, has anyone got any general interview tips?

What was her favorite vehicle that she got to wreck thus far?
If she had a chance to be part of any movie from the past one hundred years, which one would it be? (so not just since her career started)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
What's a stunt she hasnt done but wants to try?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is there a stunt she regretted doing? Like one that she survived (obviously) but was probably too dangerous to have attempted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

What sort of stunts require heavy modification of the car, and what sort of thing can be done in more or less a normal car?
What sort of things are now commonly done with CGI which used to be practical?

• Locked thread