Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

LordAba posted:

Yeah, but the warscrolls don't have points in them so they are basically useless IIRC.

Not at all - the in-book Warscrolls don't have any points on them either, nor do the faction books have any points values. The General's Handbook is $25 and contains all the points for all the armies, so with a few printed PDFs and the book, you can play points as normal. The only two reasons to buy a faction book are for special formations and fluff. In addition, the Warscrolls have all the unit info on them, so saying they're useless is like saying the 40K Datasheet is useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's not just implied--the Primaris Librarian rules sheet leaked and it mentions that you should reference Codex: Space Marines for the full rules.

They never said Codexes wouldn't come back, and in fact were very clear that they would.

Not so sure about this "Death Guard separate codex" deal though--seems like it's going to force you to own two books

Yeah, I don't get the complaints about having just bought Imperium 1 and now having a codex. They even said the Indexes were get-you-bys, and every single release of 40k ever has had a Marines codex within a month, hasn't it?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Zuul the Cat posted:

I didn't see the last Space Marines codex, how did Chapter Tactics work? For example, what would I have been able to do with my Howling Griffons?

They were a pair of rules that applied to all the Space Marines in a particular detachment, so you could have had a detachment of White Scars, which allowed them to leave nearly freely leave combat and ignore cover/add a save when riding a bike.

For your Howling Griffons, you'd just declare you're using one of the chapters with rules, so your Griffons could be played with the Ultramarines rules, for example. People tended to follow the geneseed lineage, but really that could be for anything. I've seen people play Ultramarines "8th Company" using the White Scars rules.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I don't think the issue is having to buy a codex, it's that there are obviously going to be so many of them to keep track of again. And it's a double kick in the nuts that their other game freely gives away the unit rules.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's not just implied--the Primaris Librarian rules sheet leaked and it mentions that you should reference Codex: Space Marines for the full rules.

Oh sweet. Leaks aren't :filez: right? If you've got it handy...
Not that I'm in a huge rush to spend 22 pounds on a single monopose mini. Interested to see the conversions people make

\/ I suppose that was expected.

Soggy Chips fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 5, 2017

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Soggy Chips posted:

Not that I'm in a huge rush to spend 22 pounds on a single monopose mini. Interested to see the conversions people make

I think they're exactly the same as a regular Librarian but with an extra wound.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

berzerkmonkey posted:

I don't think the issue is having to buy a codex, it's that there are obviously going to be so many of them to keep track of again. And it's a double kick in the nuts that their other game freely gives away the unit rules.

I don't think it's any more difficult to keep track of books than it is chapters in the Indices. We were always going to get more actual faction rules than we got and I'll gladly take new codexes if they're laid out better than the seemingly random spread the indexes use

Soggy Chips posted:

https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/2211

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Soggy Chips posted:

\/ I suppose that was expected.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/840/729040.page#9474026

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

TheChirurgeon posted:

Not so sure about this "Death Guard separate codex" deal though--seems like it's going to force you to own two books

I doubt it. Look at the Chaos Index book, it'll be a fleshed out Death Guard section that is in it's own book. I mean, yeah if you want to use both armies then you'll need two books. But if you're going for Chaos with Plague Marines you should still be fine with the default book.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 5, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

berzerkmonkey posted:

Would you prefer armies waiting 5 years+ to get updated? People have been complaining for decades that the codex cycle was glacial. I don't want to see the million sub-faction things from 6th/7th again, but getting the main books out in a timely fashion is a positive imo.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I doubt it. Look at the Chaos Index book, it'll be a fleshed out Death Guard section that is in it's own book. I mean, yeah if you want to use both armies then you'll need two books. But if you're going for Chaos with Plague Marines you should still be fine with the default book.

I meant more that if you're playing Death Guard, you'd need both books.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Felime posted:

:frogsiren:

Do not put plastic in acetone. 'long enough' to start softening detail is measured in seconds. I haven't tested it, specifically, but I've dunked bases in acetone when they wouldn't come off and they get gummy in minutes.

Well yeah, but would it do anything to greenstuff is the question here.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Regarding Psyker powers.

The issue with 7th wasn't that "you had to have random powers" (this isn't even true. A space marine librarian could pick from a list of like 10 powers by the end of 7th) the problem was the awful balance. It doesn't matter what the system for getting those powers are if 75% of them bad 20% are cool and 5% are bustedly strong its not going to work. Also most Races didnt have access to most of the powers, sp nids had one tree and space marines had like 10. Now it seems like the powers are more balanced but at the cost of varity and making them more bland.

My ideal situation would be schools of 6 balanced powers accessable by most races which you rolled for or you could us command points to purchase. I like the idea of being rewarded for building more generalist lists which are flexible enough to benefit from several powers and reward you for being able to adapt but like the option to build a very specific list that require specific powers if I want. This however would require a level of balance and imagination to pull off that I have never seen from GW so I guess I should just be happy with my relatively boring power where I dont get to even choose the target.

JesusIsTehCool fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 5, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
They only mention hardcover codexes, so those will probably be expensive. I'll see about getting a digital copy.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I want them chapter tactics. Bring back master crafted melta bombs.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Regarding Psyker powers.

My ideal situation would be schools of 6 balanced powers accessable by most races which you rolled for or you could us command points to purchase. I like the idea of being rewarded for building more generalist lists which are flexible enough to benefit from several powers and reward you for being able to adapt but like the option to build a very specific list that require specific powers if I want. This however would require a level of balance and imagination to pull off that I have never seen from GW so I guess I should just be happy with my relatively boring power where I dont get to even choose the target.

Agreed. Having several unique disciplines to choose your powers from is good. Having several unique disciplines to randomly generate powers from, with 1 or 2 bonkers powers is bad (invisibility).

The current psychic powers are boring as hell

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Regarding Psyker powers.

The issue with 7th wasn't that "you had to have random powers"

Of course it was. Random powers meant that you could end up with powers on a unit that could never practically use them (like psychic shriek on a solo Zoanthrope) or entirely situational powers (like The Horror against all-Fearless armies). Psychic disciplines generally became good or bad from having a decent primaris power or small number of options to roll from.

Rather than relax the mechanic a bit, GW doubled down on it for a while by just throwing more psychic disciplines at players.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Corrode posted:

Would you prefer armies waiting 5 years+ to get updated? People have been complaining for decades that the codex cycle was glacial. I don't want to see the million sub-faction things from 6th/7th again, but getting the main books out in a timely fashion is a positive imo.

This has nothing to do with what I said. It has to do with 1) potentially having to carry multiple army books for a single army; and 2) serious players having to purchase multiple books to understand their opponent armies, instead of having a single Eldar or Chaos book.

Now, this can be somewhat mitigated by the codexes staying "current" forever and being updated by a yearly "Chapter Approved" or whatever they are going to call it.

chutche2 posted:

They only mention hardcover codexes,
This also sucks. Hardcovers are the worst.

Unrelated, Regicide is $.99 in the Play Store - I don't know if this is a limited time price. It's a fun little "Battlechess" type game where Orks and Marines blow each other up.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 5, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm kind of excited about the CSM book. I never played my Night Lords in 6th or 7th for a variety of reasons and never got to try them out with their legion rules. The chaos index is too bland for me to bother with, but Night Lords-specific rules will probably change that for me. Maybe Fear won't be useless trash.

I would be interested in the normal marine book, but Dark Angels are still going to be separate so :geno:. I am left wondering if it would be worth picking up just to update the generic units available to me, but I doubt tacticals and dreadnoughts are going to change all that much.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Buying index 2 for inquisition and talons alone pays off. :pcgaming:

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Finished my first Primaris, pretty happy with the color choices overall (I wanted a greenish hue to my blue armor). Looking forward to fielding a full squad of these dudes in blue and red.

I got some shapeways insignias for the shoulders so this is the only squad that will have the crappy greenstuff insignias, which I wasn't too keen on.

Also, near the end I think I got overzealous with removing dust via bluetack and it started pulling paint off, which is a bummer. Gonna call it battle damage this time around.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

I'm kind of excited about the CSM book. I never played my Night Lords in 6th or 7th for a variety of reasons and never got to try them out with their legion rules. The chaos index is too bland for me to bother with, but Night Lords-specific rules will probably change that for me. Maybe Fear won't be useless trash.

I would be interested in the normal marine book, but Dark Angels are still going to be separate so :geno:. I am left wondering if it would be worth picking up just to update the generic units available to me, but I doubt tacticals and dreadnoughts are going to change all that much.

To steal a joke from TwingeCrag I'll probably be playing Blood Angles for a while, a Blood Angel successor chapter founded due to an Administratum typo and who happen to use the standard marine codex.

It does occur to me that GW taking a while to release the BA codex could mean that they need more time to finish producing something like a Primaris Sanguinary Guard kit which would be pretty drat cool.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

xtothez posted:

Of course it was. Random powers meant that you could end up with powers on a unit that could never practically use them (like psychic shriek on a solo Zoanthrope) or entirely situational powers (like The Horror against all-Fearless armies). Psychic disciplines generally became good or bad from having a decent primaris power or small number of options to roll from.

Rather than relax the mechanic a bit, GW doubled down on it for a while by just throwing more psychic disciplines at players.

That was only an issue for armies that didn't have access to more than one school, which is a balance problem not a problem with the OPTION of rolling. The problem of getting worthless powers goes away if all the powers are useful. 7th was not so bad for chaos and space marine psykers who had almost a dozen powers THEY COULD JUST PICK and like over 100 they could roll for. The issue was there were some powers like invisibility which were so unbalanced they could mean the differnece between winning and losing a game, and some schools which were full of garbage powers like pyromancy (leave it to GW to mess up fire magic) which were never even considered options by the playerbase.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

bonds0097 posted:

Finished my first Primaris, pretty happy with the color choices overall (I wanted a greenish hue to my blue armor). Looking forward to fielding a full squad of these dudes in blue and red.

I got some shapeways insignias for the shoulders so this is the only squad that will have the crappy greenstuff insignias, which I wasn't too keen on.

Also, near the end I think I got overzealous with removing dust via bluetack and it started pulling paint off, which is a bummer. Gonna call it battle damage this time around.

Looks good! Like the muted blue hue.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

bonds0097 posted:

This Fist is a good Fist.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I wonder how they'll do successor chapters. If they'll force them all to take the parent chapter's keyword or what.

Mainly wondering because of all the forgeworld successor chapter characters, if they're not allowed to use the parent chapter tactics they probably won't get any until next year.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

jng2058 posted:

See, I'm going to disagree here. When you're putting together a unit that large (and you want numbers here, Black Rage or no) then giving everyone a Power Fist or Thunder Hammer is going to break your bank point's wise. Have one or two big guy killers mixed in, sure. But your default load-out should probably be Bolt Pistol and Power Axe. Pretty much only buildings have T9-10 so T8 is what you'll be attacking worst case most of the time. S5 gets you 5+ to wound everything from Raiders to Imperial Knights, and as long as you've got lots of attacks that will shave off a ton of wounds. More to the point, it will also let you run right over anything that doesn't have stupid high Toughness without overkilling. You're paying 20 points for a penalty to hit and either d3 or 3 Damage. If you run that unit into a mob of infantry all that extra Damage is wasted, and the penalty to hit is going to hurt.

I'd recommend something like:

15 Death Company Marines with Jump Packs - 300pts
-12 with Bolt Pistol and Power Axe - 48pts
-3 with Thunder Hammers - 60pts
Total: 408pts

That's still a huge amount of points for one unit, and this is the discount version!

My brother keeps threatening to run this kind of list and having given it some thought it occurs to me that the solution is Snipers. If you can kill the Beastmasters, the Razorwings drop to LD4. So some Ratlings, Scouts, or Vindicare Assassins picking off the Beastmasters will let the rest of your army pour fire into the flocks and force Morale checks to clear out the rest of them.

Yeah, you could do that. Or, look at this nifty chart on effectiveness:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

I wonder how they'll do successor chapters. If they'll force them all to take the parent chapter's keyword or what.

Mainly wondering because of all the forgeworld successor chapter characters, if they're not allowed to use the parent chapter tactics they probably won't get any until next year.

Me too. This is what kinda bums me out about picking a successor chapter - no specific characters, rules or gear.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Cutedge posted:

Warp Talons come in from the warp more than 9" from an enemy unit, psyker casts warp time on them, they walk up to the enemy unit and then charge them. Their deep strike warp whatever ability says that on the turn they come in, enemy unit can't overwatch. They then proceed to take that unit off the board.

Guy did this to me this weekend and it was loving brutal.

Technically not legal, or, at least, disputable, as the rules say:

40k Battle Primer p3 posted:

Many units have the ability to be set up on the battlefeld mid-turn, sometimes by using teleporters, grav chutes or other, more esoteric means. Typically, this happens at the end of the Movement phase, but it can also happen during other phases. Units tha are set up in this manner cannot move or Advance further during the turn they arrive – their entire Movement phase is used in deploying to the battlefeld – but they can otherwise act normally (shoot, charge, etc.) for the rest of their turn. Units that arrive as reinforcements count as having moved in their Movement phase for all rules purposes, such as shooting Heavy weapons.

I sent the 40k Facebook page a message asking it using Warptime on Warp Talons that just came in through Warpflame Strike, and they said they'd check, no answer yet, and it wasn't in the first round of FAQs.

I'd argue *no* even though I'd love to do that with my crazy flying clawed demon marines. :v:

EDIT: Oh, and it appears to be how I predicted it:

Codexes Your Questions Answered posted:

Rules for new models not covered in the index (like the upcoming Redemptor Dreadnought) will be available in the box with the model and matched play points for these units will be made available online.

So, anything new won't need a codex, but will, probably, end up in a new codex eventually.

Xarlaxas fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 5, 2017

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

There aren't any points values listed on the in-box rules I think I heard.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Me too. This is what kinda bums me out about picking a successor chapter - no specific characters, rules or gear.

SM are about to get a codex of those things, it's a hard argument to make that they're starved for options. Even without even more variant rules for successors and so on.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

FiestaNinja posted:

There aren't any points values listed on the in-box rules I think I heard.

SM are about to get a codex of those things, it's a hard argument to make that they're starved for options. Even without even more variant rules for successors and so on.

No one said they're starved for options? Who is making this argument?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Regimental Standard still hitting it out of the park https://regimental-standard.com/2017/07/05/enriching-activities-for-idle-hands/

Hydra Dominatus

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Codexes are sub-faction rules and new psychic powers, that's all I want. Plz don't screw it up.

Pidgin Englishman posted:

But Tzeentch fluff is all about randomness and change? They should be mad as gently caress random powers, that's what Tzeentch is. The fact there are also a billion sorcerers in Tzeentch is just lol (also you get rubric marines and stuff, they're hot af)

They can be random if they have an equal chance of being more powerful than other psychic spells as they are being weaker. Unfortunately GW makes it so 99% of the time your spell is a wet fart.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I also assume the generic units that are faction compatible will be in their respective codex.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

You're really on a hair trigger for an argument aren't you? I'm not trying to misrepresent anything but all I'm saying is that (FW successors aside, I know nothing about them) there is a lot of room with all the options space marines have to put together something that represents a successor chapter without needing loads more space marine variant rules.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Regarding Psyker powers.

The issue with 7th wasn't that "you had to have random powers" (this isn't even true. A space marine librarian could pick from a list of like 10 powers by the end of 7th) the problem was the awful balance.

Are you just talking about 10 primaris powers? Because that's part of the problem. Saying Space Marine Librarians had a poo poo-ton of disciplines and thus a poo poo-ton of primaris powers they could pick is... missing the whole loving point.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

It doesn't matter what the system for getting those powers are if 75% of them bad 20% are cool and 5% are bustedly strong its not going to work. Also most Races didnt have access to most of the powers, sp nids had one tree and space marines had like 10. Now it seems like the powers are more balanced but at the cost of varity and making them more bland.

...You are talking about primaris powers. Like, that's WHY they're weaker. This is silly.

The random picking is part of the design problem you goober. That's why some powers (random) are okay and others (primaris, guaranteed) are weak. (Although that doesn't explain half of the other random spells still being poo poo, like tzeentch's)

And no, the powers are NOT more balanced now. They're less balanced.

How many times do I have to say this. "Each spell can only be attempted once per turn" means the more spells you have, the more psychic power you have. Some factions have more spells than others. Its completely loving busted in 8th right now, it isn't remotely balanced.

At least in 7th I could just take 1 good power and use it over and over if your army didn't have 10 Space Marine disciplines. Now you're just totally boned.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 5, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I feel like with the codices all being slammed out one after another, we're going to see a lot more standardization in how they're set up. At the very least, these first 10 should be mostly equivalent in power and scope, which considering that there aren't too many factions is probably good for the health of the meta.

Any guesses on the other 6 of these first 10? I'm guessing Guard, Ork, Eldar, Tyranid, Tau, and Necron personally. Cover the bases of the other "main" factions before getting into smaller factions like Harlequins, Genestealers, and Space Corgis.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

FiestaNinja posted:

You're really on a hair trigger for an argument aren't you? I'm not trying to misrepresent anything but all I'm saying is that (FW successors aside, I know nothing about them) there is a lot of room with all the options space marines have to put together something that represents a successor chapter without needing loads more space marine variant rules.

You literally said "it's a hard argument to make" about an argument no one is making. Seems silly to me.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

The post I quoted (which wasn't even you) mentioned how there aren't a lot of characters/items/rules for successors, and that is what I am talking about. Maybe I should have been more careful with how I phrased it for your benefit I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

The Bee posted:

Any guesses on the other 6 of these first 10? I'm guessing Guard, Ork, Eldar, Tyranid, Tau, and Necron personally. Cover the bases of the other "main" factions before getting into smaller factions like Harlequins, Genestealers, and Space Corgis.

Those are pretty good guesses, and I hope that's the case.