Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

pubic works project posted:

https://twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/882602054950072322

Lmao oh my god, the salt. The headline on the left really tickles me because that guy's name is Gordon too.

Jesus hahah. We HATE you Gordon

if that is your real name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
This might be a dumb question, but can they make this a sign & trade now so that Utah would get back some of the players that Boston needs to unload anyways?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

he's not a dome headed bitchmade fart huffing Hardest Road taking rear end idiot

New Thread title please,

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/hpbasketball/status/882620705405362178

And Chris Wallace will take it because he is a mentally handicapped four hundred pound toddler that somehow became a pro sport general manager

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mr. Mambold posted:

Good luck m8. They'll offload Derrick Rose for pics.

Derrick Rose is a free agent, friend.

And honestly that's the best news for a Knicks fan :unsmith:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

NickRoweFillea posted:

And Chris Wallace will take it because he is a mentally handicapped four hundred pound toddler that somehow became a pro sport general manager

I just looked him up and now I can't stop laughing

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 5, 2017

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

IcePhoenix posted:

Derrick Rose is a free agent, friend.

And honestly that's the best news for a Knicks fan :unsmith:

Yes, he is, friend. They'll get pics of Derrick Rose's back.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

The Grizzlies are in such a weird place right now. I really don't know what you do when your 3 highest paid players are Conley, Parson and Marc Gasol in the Western Conference.

Portland will be better, the Nuggets will be better, the Timberwolves will be better, the Pelicans will be better.

Houston, San Antonio, OKC, and the Warriors are the clear front runners for top 4 seeds and after that it's gonna be a bloodbath between the clippers, Portland, Twolves, Nuggets, Pelicans, Grizzlies, Jazz.

If I had to pick 3 of those teams to miss out, the Grizzlies are almost certainly at the top of that list. I'd almost try to blow it up if I were them.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

The Grizzlies are in such a weird place right now. I really don't know what you do when your 3 highest paid players are Conley, Parson and Marc Gasol in the Western Conference.

Portland will be better, the Nuggets will be better, the Timberwolves will be better, the Pelicans will be better.

Houston, San Antonio, OKC, and the Warriors are the clear front runners for top 4 seeds and after that it's gonna be a bloodbath between the clippers, Portland, Twolves, Nuggets, Pelicans, Grizzlies, Jazz.

If I had to pick 3 of those teams to miss out, the Grizzlies are almost certainly at the top of that list. I'd almost try to blow it up if I were them.

it's a really ignoble end to the grit and grind grizzilies

maybe if they can pry some of those picks out of boston they start selling.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

you know what would really make marc happy, to finally play an NBA game next to his brother

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

were Utah people this salty when Millsap left? Hayward's not exactly a superstar.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Nick, thank you very much for making me look up this babyman, he's made my morning

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

If I was the Memphis GM and they offered me Crowder / Smart / Bradley, plus a first round pick (ideally the Lakers/76ers/Kings one) I would take that

I'd then try to bring back Green and you would have a pretty good team between Conley / Smart / Bradley / Crowder / Green. Not too far off the 16-17 Celtics, but with Conley instead of Thomas (imo an upgrade)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Malachi Richardson put on the off-season 20lbs
https://twitter.com/okhanSTR/status/882464907433721856

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

If I was the Memphis GM and they offered me Crowder / Smart / Bradley, plus a first round pick (ideally the Lakers/76ers/Kings one) I would take that

I'd then try to bring back Green and you would have a pretty good team between Conley / Smart / Bradley / Crowder / Green. Not too far off the 16-17 Celtics, but with Conley instead of Thomas (imo an upgrade)

They are gonna have to give me Jaylen Brown. Crowder, Brown and either Bradley or Smart, and an unprotected Lakers/Sixers/Kings first. would do it for me.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Cool Buff Man posted:

Nick, thank you very much for making me look up this babyman, he's made my morning

I wanna dress him like the king cake baby and make him dance around

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

were Utah people this salty when Millsap left? Hayward's not exactly a superstar.

the sbnation jazz blog had a really bizarre post up about it but it's gone now. deadspin quotes it a bit.

http://deadspin.com/lets-see-how-jazz-fans-are-taking-the-gordon-hayward-si-1796638647

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Tales of Woe posted:

turns out Utahns also love white dudes

the mean lunch lady fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 5, 2017

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Utah is kinda salty in general

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tales of Woe posted:

I don't know how you arbitrarily want to define superstar but he was really good and the closest thing they had to one. They don't have a realistic path to getting someone else at that level anytime soon.

Millsap was more a mutual decision because they had a crowded young front court and weren't competing for anything. I don't think it's really comparable.

I think some people are being unnecessarily harsh on Haywarx but it's not like it's something unique to Utah. The franchise is in a really rough spot now and I think almoat every fanbase would have a similar reaction. He didn't handle the exit very well either. Dragging it out a breaking everyone's heart twice in one day was really lovely

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 5, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

the mean lunch lady posted:

turns out Utahns also love white dues

And also hate the gays.

MourningView posted:

I don't know how you arbitrarily want define superstar but he was really good and the closest thing they had to one. They don't have a realistic path to getting someone else at that level anytime soon.

Millsap was more a mutual decision because they had a crowded young front court and weren't competing for anything. I don't think it's really comparable.

I think some people are being unnecessarily harsh on Haywarx but it's not like it's something unique to Utah. The franchise is in a really rough spot now and I think almoat every fanbase would have a similar reaction. He didn't handle the exit very well either. Dragging it out a breaking everyone's heart twice in one day was really lovely

I mean, there is a legit argument that Rudy Gobert was better than Hayward last year and has more star potential.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MourningView posted:

I don't know how you arbitrarily want define superstar but he was really good and the closest thing they had to one. They don't have a realistic path to getting someone else at that level anytime soon.

At least they actually had him under contract for like seven years, fanbases are out here getting pissy when free agents don't sign with them

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

dokmo posted:

Utah is kinda salty in general

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
don't leave, marc gasol!

its already bad enough zbo's gone.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Grit n' Grind-to-a-halt

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I'm about to go into cancer surgery, here's to hoping the knicks would improve today too. Humor me in what non dolan ways the knicks could get better this offseason

Good luck, my man! Porzingis is improving constantly regardless of what else happens.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hmm yes, thank god Hayward is getting out of Utah and will instead play for the notably never racist city of Boston

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean, there is a legit argument that Rudy Gobert was better than Hayward last year and has more star potential.

I'm inclined to agree but you need more than one at this point and Gobert is also extremely limited offensively and always will be. He's really valuable but he's a much less conventional star player and they're badly lacking a go to guy on the other end.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

attackmole posted:

I wanna dress him like the king cake baby and make him dance around

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Let's make the 4th of July heartbreaking UFA departure a new NBA tradition. I've got a Paul George + LeBron James doubleheader penciled in for 2018, and, hmm, let's get John Wall's people on the phone for 2019 and put out feelers on James Harden for a possible doubleheader there as well.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Get The Rich To Try Dying

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

Hill turned down 4/$80 from the Jazz for 3/$57 from the Kings (https://fansided.com/2017/07/04/george-hill-inks-three-year-57-million-deal-sacramento-kings/)

:iiam:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

The market's changed a lot since last year when Utah offered him that money.

I wonder if players (at least the ones that didn't cash in during the summer of '16) regret turning down cap smoothing at this point.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/Dcorrigan50/status/882605869183242240

Joel is gonna murder Lonzo on the court this year.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Live basketball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R74emmcSgHM

Korea vs Lithuania FIBA U19 World Cup

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aaWnlfjDss

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 5, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah, our starters were actually really good together last year (I think one of the top five in the league? I feel like that's too high but it's what's in my head) but our bench was God Awful

Maybe top 5 offensively, but overall their starters were pretty comparable to other playoff teams. Bench was bottom 5, in the mix for the worst depending on criteria. I was kind of afraid we were going to upgrade the starting lineup and leave that boat anchor of a bench. Glad to see it looks way better.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bobby Marks on Monday's Lowe Post said that a huge number of players are upset with their agents over how free agency is going. It would seem that the number of extremely terrible contracts to bad players given out last year when everyone had space is actually putting a pretty huge squeeze on the market. In a totally unexpected and extremely unpredictable course of events (lol) not smoothing out the cap spike has seem to be bad for owners, bad for players, and bad for parity. I don't think a single decision has had this much negative impact on a sport in my entire lifetime.

Next year is even worse, there are going to be almost no teams with cap room and most teams are going to be in the tax.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Expiring contracts are going to be worth something again!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What is cap smoothing?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Wasn't it the players who were adamantly against smoothing the cap? Guess the smart ones cashed in, meanwhile my savvy team is going to get Cole Aldrich FOR FREE :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Eltoasto posted:

Wasn't it the players who were adamantly against smoothing the cap? Guess the smart ones cashed in, meanwhile my savvy team is going to get Cole Aldrich FOR FREE :c00l:

Yes the players union was against it, which looks like a mistake in hindsight

• Locked thread