Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Lol does he think he got underpaid? He's been in the league for 7 years and he's a serviceable bench rotation player but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Patrick Peterson plays football, dudes.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
edit: full

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 5, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Lol I've been fooled

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Deadbeat Dad posted:

:aaa:

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Paterson hasn't hit a 3 in 18 months so he's a pretty solid stretch four who excels at get blown by on switches and pump faking on corner 3s to try floaters

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

The Glumslinger posted:

I assume Milsap is going to Denver in this deal

The Millsap thing is a separate deal. Gallo was gonna walk anyway so Denver got a 2nd rounder because it's better than nothing. I think there might be a trade exception involved too. poo poo's confusing

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Libertine posted:

Doesn't Porter have an existing offer with the Kings for more than that? Did that just disappear or something. I thought that was the offer the Wizards had a few days to match.

I saw on espn that once they signed z bo, it put them too far over the cap for that offer sheet to still be viable, thus nullifying it. ( I think )

E: or not too far over, they just don't have the cap space required to facilitate the offer anymore

boxcarhobo fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 5, 2017

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

BWV posted:

Paterson hasn't hit a 3 in 18 months so he's a pretty solid stretch four who excels at get blown by on switches and pump faking on corner 3s to try floaters

that sounds exactly like some patterson guy the rockets had years ago

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

We could have been a contender if it wasnt for GarPax

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i am all aboard the eric moreland train

Libertine posted:

KCP? He's a below average starting SG who isn't particularly great at any one thing. He's not a great shooter, he's entirely neutral on defense. I don't get why anyone would pay him big money.

Also Detroit just used their lottery pick on Luke Kennard so I have to think that was at least a contingency on losing KCP. I don't like him either though so it's a wash more or less.

i know this was from aways back, but the kcp thing is sort of complicated i think. he's definitely not someone you want as one of your max guys being your top two or whatever, if you're capped out with drummond and kcp as your two best starters you're locked in to a low ceiling team that will never accomplish anything, but on the other hand i think this is vastly underrating his defense, which is even more important because he's the only guy on the pistons roster who can move his feet and defend the perimeter

kennard doesnt remotely replace what kcp does which is why i always thought it was weird when people were referring to him as a potential replacement.

edit: i also dont want anyone to think i am overrating kcp, he's just kind of uniquely important to detroit while also definitely not being a max player. it's part of a team construction problem to be sure, having a bunch of unathletic dudes who can't guard the perimeter isnt really where you want to be in the nba right now

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Is Patterson as bad as yall are saying cause looking at his stats he seems Fine for a dude getting the MLE. Underpaid even.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

He's not very good

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Even if Hayward sticks around, what they were last year is not far off from the peak for that roster I think. In most years, that would be good enough to earnestly compete for the title, but not when GS are what they are.

It was probably the biggest mark against Utah - they were a very good team with Hayward, just not good enough, and without a clear path to major improvement.

Rudy Gobert was only 24 last year. Hayward only 26. Still room for both of them to age 3-4 years and improve further into peak levels.

Eltoasto posted:

Wasn't Porter the dude that Dokmo won a "he will come back down to earth" bet on?

That was on his 3P shooting going down I think.

Metapod posted:

Marcus Smart fits perfectly with the ersan trade exception PRESTI PLEASE GET MARCUS SMART

Pairing MS with RW would be a chucking masterpiece.

I predict many postgames with Doc talking like:
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/853589739030679552

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

What does that team look like now?

Is it
PG: Pat Beverly Hills Cop
SG: Mbah a Moute?
SF: Danilo Gallinari
PF: Blake Griffin
C: DennisAndre Jordan

then Rivers, Lou williams, Wes Johnson, Speights, and Sam Dekker/Harrel off the bench

??

That starting 5 is still a solid team. Definitely a playoff team.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

leftist heap posted:

Is Patterson as bad as yall are saying cause looking at his stats he seems Fine for a dude getting the MLE. Underpaid even.

He's a good role player and that's an extremely good price for him, I dunno what everyone's deal is other than maybe some Flowchart.jpeg with the Raptor fans

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

G-Hawk posted:

two replies of "i like gallo but" which is exactly how i feel about gallo. He isn't a bad pickup or anything, but

Nah I straight don't like him. He's one of those players that seems like a good idea but isn't

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dejan Bimble posted:

Is it

then Rivers, Lou williams, Wes Johnson, Speights, and Sam Dekker/Harrel off the bench

??

Between Griffin and Gallinari, this team is super likely to have injury issues. I don't think they will make the playoffs.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

Is it

??

Luc is a pf/sf I don't think he can play the 2

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Is it

??

doc is gonna give austin the keys to the starting lineup

it will probably be a playoff team if they can win enough games before griffin's annual season-ending injury to coast keep enough space for the last month or two. not getting past the first round though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I keep seeing Rockets fans suggesting that if we get Melo here, there's a real chance Lebron comes here next year

Please tell me they're the crazy ones and not me for thinking that's batshit

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

They're comically stupid because the rockets can't pay lebron and he's not a dome headed bitchmade fart huffing Hardest Road taking rear end idiot

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

MourningView posted:

He's a good role player and that's an extremely good price for him, I dunno what everyone's deal is other than maybe some Flowchart.jpeg with the Raptor fans

Yeah, he's a good player and I wasn't expecting people to poo poo on that contract. Good pickup for GM Metapod.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i like the idea of patrick patterson but he does so dang little everytime i see him play

that being said he should get a bump from playing with an actual superstar and incredibly cool dude russel bestbrook instead of fraud rear end stars who cant do poo poo in the playoffs

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Playing with gloryboy ballhog Russell Westbrook is bad for everyone but him. Oladipo will be better than PG next season

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

are you just doing a thing or do you actually think westbrook isnt a good passer cause lmao

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Harden better

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Intruder posted:

Oladipo will be better than PG next season
Will he really? :thunk:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVp5WZwh_lZ/

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

russ managed to average 10 assists a game in an offense where he was like the best shooter on the floor at any given time and hes a poop shooter. hes tailor made to the spread pnr style that harden was in and any addition towards that goal will be real good for him and that player

westbrooks a bit of a chucker and an at times inefficient player but the idea of him as some awful ballhog who cannot pass at all is some mind numbingly stupid narrative invented by people who wanted to excuse The Biggest Bitchmade Move Of All Time

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 5, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Gloryboy wins MVP but The Servant wins a championship makes you think

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Yeah he was the defensive glue.

Also, as much as his offense disappeared on us and was frustrating, he still shot 37% on his threes. Now, here's a list of the current people on the Raptor's bench that can hit a three pointer at or above a league average rate: Fred Van Vleet.

I'm gonna miss him.

Start of the season's gonna be real ugly. Masai has too much pride to fire Casey after getting knocked out by the Cavs, but maybe he'll do it if we suck poo poo to start the year (ahhaha no he won't). Also honestly the East is looking so bad this year that it's gonna be incredibly hard to go under .500 tbh. But who knows, maybe they can do it.

I also wish he could stay around, but I'm gonna pull an I told you so and mention that I made an effort post months ago that ran the numbers and figured that the Ibaka/Lowry signings alone would put TO over the luxury tax line and that barring a miracle playoff run (that didn't happen), MLSE wouldn't be willing to pay for either of Tucker or Patterson to be renewed because it would put them solidly in the 10 million over the tax line bracket (where the tax jumps up sharply).

For reference, the current team salary is 130 million (hoopshype hasn't added the Ibaka and Lowry contracts in yet), and the tax line is 119 million. This team is so expensive that I'm not even sure that it would look to add any veteran contracts on top of that. The only way we'll have room to move is Carroll gets unloaded and/or JV gets traded.

Capped out and deep in the tax isn't a great look for a team as flawed as the Raptors. But hey, at least we're not Portland.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 5, 2017

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Losing Hayward sucks. Now the tension as a Jazz fan is waiting to see Shelvin Mack sign somewhere else so Snyder can't keep giving him minutes. If Exum/Hood/Mitchell are given a chance to show something and take steps forward then maybe next season won't be the worst. Favors not being at 40% all year with whatever injures would also be a boon.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
https://mobile.twitter.com/TaylorRooks/status/882449130580320256

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I'm about to go into cancer surgery, here's to hoping the knicks would improve today too. Humor me in what non dolan ways the knicks could get better this offseason

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I'm about to go into cancer surgery, here's to hoping the knicks would improve today too. Humor me in what non dolan ways the knicks could get better this offseason

Someone will give them something for Carmelo.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Austin Rivers is the projected starter at SG and he's probably the best one they have left. Pretty major hole imo

Spacebump posted:

Between Griffin and Gallinari, this team is super likely to have injury issues. I don't think they will make the playoffs.

I honestly don't think Gallo is that good anyways. He'll probably end up trading spots with Mbah a Moute even if he is healthy

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Vanilla Mint Ice, you will beat this cancer thing. Because you must outlive Dolan, to see the day the Knicks are competently run once he's gone. Don't let him win!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Is it

??

Is that better than KAT/Taj/Butler/Wiggins/Teague? That's probably about the Demarcation line for the playoffs. The West is ridiculous.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Best of luck and get well dude. The Knicks are probably going to get real bad soon, but they will become a lot more fun. The Bad&Fun phase is underrated and usually you can get cheaper tickets to see games live. I dunno if that applies to NYC.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Good luck, and pick someone on the end of the rotation to irrationally love and root for and any season will be fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

End up with like Eric Bledsoe or something like that from Phoenix, who will play with a chip on his shoulder and make the team watchable.

I hope it goes well.

• Locked thread