Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I have never been tempted to use a bot until someone linked to one on /r/eve. I know it's a terrible idea, but that idea is in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
the trick to botting in eve is to bot on 10 accounts at the same time and remain at your keyboard while shitposting in random ingame channels or local

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

the trick to botting in eve is to bot on 10 accounts at the same time and remain at your keyboard while shitposting in random ingame channels or local

That's not really botting, now is it though

Lansoc
Jan 3, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

orange juche posted:

He is bottling the poo poo posting.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

orange juche posted:

the oldest trick to botting in highsec is to have your bot run on 10+ accounts while you're shitposting on one account to make you seem legit to any gms that check

you don't have to do any work and you can easily watch netflix and type and have fun while you're at your keyboard

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

it has been [0] days since 1001 arabian dicks has made a cry for attention

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

it's less of a cry and more of a demand

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

the oldest trick to botting in highsec is to have your bot run on 10+ accounts while you're shitposting on one account to make you seem legit to any gms that check

you don't have to do any work and you can easily watch netflix and type and have fun while you're at your keyboard

What do you know about not getting banned from the game for cheating? You or one of your friends seem to get banned from the game every two weeks.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

it's less of a cry and more of a demand

There's no difference here, really.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Has the counter ever really been off of zero?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Catberry posted:

What do you know about not getting banned from the game for cheating? You or one of your friends seem to get banned from the game every two weeks.

this is something you have to experience. i've seen so many people get banned for no reason, gotten no response when petitioned, and ultimately ignored indefinitely. jason kusion got banned, for the second time this year, for absolutely loving nothing.

i've been perma'd twice (and set free after months) and 30 day'd once, and that ban was lifted after the 27th day. I was also banned for one day instantly because i had 3 gms all give me a warning for the same action and apparently that's an autoban or some poo poo.

sometimes concord does weird poo poo, and if it ever happens and it gets reported people just eat bans, and no reason is ever given.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
If it involves citadels it's awful, just sayin'

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

it doesn't, it's a great idea

i need several friends to do it with me though, so if you're interested pm me here or evemail uninstall 01

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Catberry posted:

So he's got some real close experience to how their security works?

CCP is the farthest thing possible from impartial about who they're going after for rule-breaking. They give no shits about the farming bots in many areas, because eve is one of the easiest games in the world to make bots for and their ability to play whack-a-mole is weak. So they concentrate on busting RMT instead. If you're not RMTing you can run bots for ages with no repercussions. But for gankers their trigger fingers get way more itchy, because they get lots of petitions about them.

globby is obnoxious but he's not wrong about this and many other things

Klyith fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 5, 2017

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Catberry posted:

It's a good thread. The last few pages. Not so much.

This thread hasn't been good in years.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
the other thread is the good thread

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
That thread is boring.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rhymenoserous posted:

That thread is boring.

goddamnit you were supposed to say that thread is dead so I could say "just like eve!"

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

That thread is boring.

just like eve!

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Klyith posted:

CCP is the farthest thing possible from impartial about who they're going after for rule-breaking. They give no shits about the farming bots in many areas, because eve is one of the easiest games in the world to make bots for and their ability to play whack-a-mole is weak. So they concentrate on busting RMT instead. If you're not RMTing you can run bots for ages with no repercussions. But for gankers their trigger fingers get way more itchy, because they get lots of petitions about them.

So if I'm not retarded about it I could get away with botting while I'm say.. carrier ratting?

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Klyith posted:

Like most videogame developers they probably lie about advanced detection software and instead the cheat detection system is 100% petition based. After which a GM manually has to check input rates.

GM time is money after all and if no one saw it then no players need appeasing. The next generation bots will post Markov chains in local and rookie help.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

why bot when you can run a vni or rorqual mine

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Catberry posted:

Like most videogame developers they probably lie about advanced detection software and instead the cheat detection system is 100% petition based. After which a GM manually has to check input rates.

GM time is money after all and if no one saw it then no players need appeasing. The next generation bots will post Markov chains in local and rookie help.

a bot carrying on a conversation with another bot in a language CCP doesn't have any GMs that speak would be pretty pro tier

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Reverand maynard posted:

a bot carrying on a conversation with another bot in a language CCP doesn't have any GMs that speak would be pretty pro tier

so that's why the russian bots go unnoticed...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

lucifirius posted:

So if I'm not retarded about it I could get away with botting while I'm say.. carrier ratting?

I dunno, I haven't tried it myself. But I'm pretty sure that you could as long as "not retarded about it" includes setting up the bot well, and not using some random piece of software that CCP knows about.

Buuuut why even bother when you can throw a couple no-attention myrms alongside your carrier and get almost exactly the same results?

Catberry posted:

They definitely do or have done automatic bot detection, if the pissed off users of some commercial bots in the past are to be believed.

But I 100% believe that they've shifted enforcement from bots to RMT, because bots boost the PCU numbers. 2011-2013 was when they really went after bots, but it was a much healthier game back then. These days CCP is just trying to maintain an appearance, like a Victorian lady eating arsenic for that healthy complexion. Unless the bot owner is doing something super visible that gets lots of pissed off player petitions and attention on reddit, they're easier to ignore.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Klyith posted:

They definitely do or have done automatic bot detection, if the pissed off users of some commercial bots in the past are to be believed.

But I 100% believe that they've shifted enforcement from bots to RMT, because bots boost the PCU numbers. 2011-2013 was when they really went after bots, but it was a much healthier game back then. These days CCP is just trying to maintain an appearance, like a Victorian lady eating arsenic for that healthy complexion. Unless the bot owner is doing something super visible that gets lots of pissed off player petitions and attention on reddit, they're easier to ignore.

If only they could make a program that detects when a pilot posts the same line every 60 seconds in local 24 hours a day.

Maybe such technology will be available when cold fusion is perfected.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Reverand maynard posted:

They could just talk about Eve.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

frozenphil posted:

They could just talk about Eve.

yeah if they talked about ship balance in english no one at CCP would understand it lol

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

thats not fair if they debated whether or not to give the rifter one more power grid or two more cpu fozzie might join in but beyond that

Lansoc
Jan 3, 2009

Well that's my story.

Reverand maynard posted:

yeah if they talked about ship balance in english no one at CCP would understand it lol

They would have to look up the definition of balance but by the time they started typing it in they got side tracked by a seagull flying by the office window.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Catberry posted:

1) true, but wrong wrt ccp
2) sort of correct

they straight up look for and hunt input broadcasters, you have to be very careful not to do too many actions at once (at least for gankers)

you can do round-robin inputs too fast for ccp's liking and just get banned for input broadcasting/automation. they have no checks, but if you're too fast you can just get banned.

Reverand maynard posted:

why bot when you can run a vni or rorqual mine

0 risk, infinitely scalable and no effort.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Lansoc posted:

They would have to look up the definition of balance but by the time they started typing it in they got side tracked by a seagull flying by the office window.

CCP Seagull jumping out a window?

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
New T3 changes should be interesting. Cloaky T3's that actually do damage.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Loky11 posted:

New T3 changes should be interesting. Cloaky T3's that actually do damage.

T3 cruisers should be prohibitively expensive, and god's penis in your your enemy's ear.

Lansoc
Jan 3, 2009

Well that's my story.

Rhymenoserous posted:

CCP Seagull jumping out a window?

I forgot that was her ccp name. So sure as long as she takes fozzie with her.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

something is awfully wrong at ccp hq, they either work 10 hour work weeks or no one has any idea what they're doing.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

R-Type posted:

T3 cruisers should be prohibitively expensive, and god's penis in your your enemy's ear.

Balancing by cost and making them god-like certainly worked for the original iteration of titans!

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

he said the balance by cost meme!

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

something is awfully wrong at ccp hq, they either work 10 hour work weeks or no one has any idea what they're doing.

Second part is certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You know you're having a bad eve day when you're docked and previewing a ship, and PL shows up in the preview window to blow up your poo poo :smith:

• Locked thread