Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Eltoasto posted:

Wasn't it the players who were adamantly against smoothing the cap? Guess the smart ones cashed in, meanwhile my savvy team is going to get Cole Aldrich FOR FREE :c00l:

Awwwww yeah boi!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What is cap smoothing?

The cap is determined by the amount of revenue coming in. Due to the new TV deal, last year's cap jumped from 70 million in the 15-16 season to 94 million in the 16-17 season. This is what caused all the massive spending and overpaying of many free agents. This year's cap was projected to jump as well (though not by as much), but due to various factors it did not.

Cap smoothing would have, well, smoothed out the jump. So instead of going from 70 to 94 in one year, they would have spaced it out and maybe only increased it by like 7 million per year (I don't know the actual number I'm just tossing that out there) until it was where it should be.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
^^^not just growing slower. It would have been lower than it should be for a few years, then higher than it should be for a few years to balance it out.

Most people on this board were against cap smoothing too.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

The assumption was that the owners would've pocketed the difference, which is unacceptable

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I was and still am.

Artificially limiting the money given out for a set period of time isn't the right move.

Owners and GM's not spending too drat much is the move.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

EvanTH posted:

The assumption was that the owners would've pocketed the difference, which is unacceptable

Nah, it was always going to be given to the players' union to distribute as they saw fit.

quote:

The NBA suggested that the difference be given to the union in a lump sum and divided evenly among all players. So instead of a few free agents in 2016 benefiting, all players would get a smaller piece of the TV rights deal increase. But Roberts believed long-term it would not be a benefit to the players.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 5, 2017

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the league could give every team a one-time extra MLE or something

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not nearly smart enough to know if cap smoothing is good or bad.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

^^^not just growing slower. It would have been lower than it should be for a few years, then higher than it should be for a few years to balance it out.

I'm still against on principle because it is extremely anti-labor. In hindsight a move where the cap was smoothed, with the difference being paid out to the players in some capacity was the right/most ethical move but that would never happen.

It's amazing how short sighted people became with cap space, including people on this board, were after the spike. Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but it's pretty obvious how damaging some of those contracts would be in the long run.

Shear Modulus posted:

the league could give every team a one-time extra MLE or something

This doesn't really fix the problem of a huge number of teams being in the tax.
If this is actually the case, then the players union hosed up really, really badly.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

a precedent that the players have to gently caress with their already artificially capped wages could absolutely be a longterm problem that is hard to conceptualize and harder to weigh against the uhh issues that came out of the cap jump

i dont really know if it was right or not from the players point of view

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm still against on principle because it is extremely anti-labor. In hindsight a move where the cap was smoothed, with the difference being paid out to the players in some capacity was the right/most ethical move but that would never happen.

That's exactly what was offered, though. They were still going to be getting the 51% split agreed to in the CBA.

Some of the bad contracts given out last year are just bad contracts, but it's also just a really simple supply-and-demand thing. If there's a crazy amount of bidders the bids are going to increase

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

An assumption... wrong!?? Give me a bit, this is new to me

In that case I don't fully understand Roberts' opinion.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Less caps on wages the better.

Short term it may cause issues. But it all equals out on the end.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I for one am glad mozgov got paid due to the cap spike

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Kibner posted:

Expiring contracts are going to be worth something again!

This is good for the Nets so I support it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EvanTH posted:

An assumption... wrong!?? Give me a bit, this is new to me

In that case I don't fully understand Roberts' opinion.

Yeah, I don't understand why people have opinions when it is like a paragraph to read up, but they options were either splitting money or equalizing total payout over xxx number of years. There was never a "owners keep the money" option but that didn't stop people being mad about it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

In hindsight the Gorgui deal is really not as good as it was eight months ago.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Reworking the cap in mid contract is also a bad precedent that conceivably lowers the unions bargaining position in future discussions

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

pubic works project posted:

https://twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/882602054950072322

Lmao oh my god, the salt. The headline on the left really tickles me because that guy's name is Gordon too.

headline on the right reads "messy exit likely to haunt gordon" lol okay yeah sure neat

there was like an hour of confusion because his trainer followed some people before he made an official announcement thanking Utah for everything

I'm sure he'll be unable to sleep for months

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i recall the union ended up hiring some accountants or economists to study the proposal and they concluded that it would cause a net reduction in players' income (mostly from knock-on effects from capping demand i would suspect)

i also think the players could reasonably suspect that the owners would be able to try some shady accounting from the opportunities that a new layer of complexity would introduce

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I don't think last year or this year's free agency would look that much different with cap smoothing. Last year there were lots of teams with cap space and a few free agents. This year it's the opposite.

Also cap smoothing would've meant more money going towards rookies and less towards free agents (like Lebron and CP3 who were in charge of the union), so it makes some sense why the NBAPA rejected it.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Paul Zuvella posted:

Next year is even worse, there are going to be almost no teams with cap room and most teams are going to be in the tax.

yeah, this is only the beginning. The cap projects to increase by ~3 million a year but stay reasonably flat in the medium term--only an unexpected influx of money from jersey ads could bump that number up by a significant amount. Assuming about 1/5 of the league is in FA every summer, there won't be money for anyone outside the top 30. Some teams that are capped out now could run their course during this time period and end up with a ton of space (OKC comes to mind), but most teams trying to make the playoffs will be in absolute cap hell. And that tv deal is locked in for 9 years.

I cannot understand why the one-player-one-vote player's union would ever have agreed to this if they had any notion of this outcome. Did Chris Paul and Michele Roberts mislead the rank and file? Roberts wanted to look tough or whatever and told the owners to shove it on cap smoothing; now the majority of mid-career guys looking for their second or third contract will be screwed as a result. I can see why the players involved in leadership (Paul, James, Curry, Carmelo) would lie/go along with Roberts, because they know the league will always find a favorable deal for them. But yeesh, they really hosed over the middle class of the league.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

EvanTH posted:

Yeah, especially after seeing those headlines. Someone get the guy an emotional support animal.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I wish you a great success VMI

Dexo posted:

Less caps on wages the better.

Short term it may cause issues. But it all equals out on the end.

I don't know, if you look at actor /actress salaries, a few people get 20m a movie and a lot of people never pass 6 figures, despite being well known, talented, etc. The cast budget is going to the stars. I don't know if you could build a team like Golden State or San Antonio if your players weren't making comparable salaries. The last time the NBA was filled with huge awful max deals the basketball was bad. From a philosophical basketball entertainment perspective a more equitable distribution is better. If the players get more it should be from the owners end rather than each other

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Metapod posted:

I for one am glad mozgov got paid due to the cap spike

Mozgov didn't get paid due to the cap spike, he got paid due to a dumb rear end Lakers FO

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/SBNation/status/882631659094396928

also

https://twitter.com/its_whitney/status/875903451837992960

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I don't think last year or this year's free agency would look that much different with cap smoothing. Last year there were lots of teams with cap space and a few free agents. This year it's the opposite.

That's kind of the point of cap smoothing, though, there would have been significantly fewer teams with cap space last year

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's terrible holy hell.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also the Bulls have cap space next year :v: so that's good.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

headline on the right reads "messy exit likely to haunt gordon" lol okay yeah sure neat

there was like an hour of confusion because his trainer followed some people before he made an official announcement thanking Utah for everything

I don't know if he cares, but this isn't what happened. Someone in his camp leaked to reporters he was going to Boston before he had a chance to tell Utah, he got pissed and had his agent deny that a decision was made, lots of Utah fans got false hope, it lingered most of the day, and then he broke their hearts all over again with that stupid players tribune thing. The instagram thing came out after his initial denial and doesn't have anything to do with it. It was a bad way to handle it. If you're going to leave anyway just confirm it once it gets out, don't give people false hope just for the sake of some dumb ghost written letter that doesn't serve any purpose aside from making you feel like you handled things in a classy way by thanking Utah on the way out the door.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 5, 2017

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Small markets exist to give big markets stars, also c'mon look at em.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
They both look like a couple of assholes tho
Utah is upset because Hayward looks like their Mormon kids, like in the middle of a play he's going to stop defending and very politely ask if his opponent has heard the Good News

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Hayward was just really pissed off about the Mountain Meadows massacre and that's understandable

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shear Modulus posted:

i recall the union ended up hiring some accountants or economists to study the proposal and they concluded that it would cause a net reduction in players' income (mostly from knock-on effects from capping demand i would suspect)

i also think the players could reasonably suspect that the owners would be able to try some shady accounting from the opportunities that a new layer of complexity would introduce

It doesn't introduce any new complexity. There's already an escrowed wage pool that normalizes wages to the final cap. In this case the pool would just be really big for a few years. Spreading the extra evenly doesn't make sense (it should be proportional to contract like the rest of the escrow) and sounds like a scare tactic to get stars on board. The real beneficiaries of the jump were owners who got under the tax or got room for a max, who got a big leg up relative to other owners. Players who were FAs last year benefitted as well but that's a fairly small and not especially influential group. And max deal guys don't benefit at all (relatives to proportionally distributed smoothing) because they would be escrowed into a "shadow cap" max. The only players who won were guys like Mozgov who got a much larger % of a team cap than they normally would have.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

Small markets exist to give big markets stars, also c'mon look at em.

My beautiful son

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

like Lmao. The Bulls if they wanted to could only have like ~25-30 million(Keeping Zipser, Valentine, Dunn, and Lavine(they have to probably pay him but have his cap hold as comically low))assuming they trade Rolo this year which I am assuming will happen) on the books next year.

Can't wait for all of the Bulls fans to once again get their hopes up for like a Lebron only to be dashed embarrassingly.

Though they have tons of space to take on lovely contracts and picks for teams looking to shed salary for BronBron.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

That Player's Tribune piece was garbage.

"Salt Lake City is an amazing place full of wonderful people and the Jazz helped mold me into the man I am today. Well, bye"

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ammanas posted:

Mozgov didn't get paid due to the cap spike, he got paid due to a dumb rear end Lakers FO

But it was the cap spike that created the opportunity

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

It doesn't introduce any new complexity. There's already an escrowed wage pool that normalizes wages to the final cap. In this case the pool would just be really big for a few years. Spreading the extra evenly doesn't make sense (it should be proportional to contract like the rest of the escrow) and sounds like a scare tactic to get stars on board. The real beneficiaries of the jump were owners who got under the tax or got room for a max, who got a big leg up relative to other owners. Players who were FAs last year benefitted as well but that's a fairly small and not especially influential group. And max deal guys don't benefit at all (relatives to proportionally distributed smoothing) because they would be escrowed into a "shadow cap" max. The only players who won were guys like Mozgov who got a much larger % of a team cap than they normally would have.

The best solution for everybody at this point might be temporarily raising the tax level by 5-10 million, but I don't know if that's possible under the CBA or what consequences there'd be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Giving GMs more money to play with is like raising a little kid's allowance and they should be expected to spend it in a similar manner

• Locked thread