Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shear Modulus posted:

hot take incoming: basically centrists saying "bernie is a racist" to justify their hating him is different in degree but not in kind from bill maher or other anti-muslim bigots saying the reason they hate muslims is because they think islam is misogynist

Frijolero posted:

hot take: centrists don't actually understand racism/institutional racism and they think having token minorities in positions of power means the system is working

these people are hillary cultists like the hillaryis44 people before them and don't have any deep-seated ideology or political beliefs outside of mi abuela

if the worst for them comes to pass and the party actually drifts leftward, they'll just become reactionary republicans or drop out of politics altogether

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Frijolero posted:

hot take: centrists don't actually understand racism/institutional racism and they think having token minorities in positions of power means the system is working

Also bad dems want to trick minorities into taking a deal, rather than minorities being able to make breakthrough changes in their community.

Sort of similar to having Obama in office didn't lead to issues like police brutality or income inequality being addressed in any sort of meaningful way.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Shear Modulus posted:

it's the weirdest thing when hillary supporters accuse bernie of centering white working people in his presidential campaign when his opponent literally talked up her being backed by "hardworking americans, white americans" when she was running against obama

Also it was her general strategy

etalian posted:

I don't think Bond banged any grannies in the movie.

Maybe one of the books

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Didn't Bond help Bolivia re-nationalize the water or some poo poo??

Macron would do the exact opposite :lol::lol:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

etalian posted:

Also bad dems want to trick minorities into taking a deal, rather than minorities being able to make breakthrough changes in their community.

Sort of similar to having Obama in office didn't lead to issues like police brutality or income inequality being addressed in any sort of meaningful way.

excuse me obama had a beer with that cop and the professor he arrested. police brutality solved.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Frijolero posted:

Jesse Jackson would have won.

Let's run on his 1988 platform:
  • creating a Works Progress Administration-style program to rebuild America's infrastructure and provide jobs to all Americans,
  • reprioritizing the War on Drugs to focus less on minimum sentences for drug users (which he views as racially biased) and more on harsher punishments for money-laundering bankers and others who are part of the "supply" end of "supply and demand"
  • reversing Reaganomics-inspired tax cuts for the richest ten percent of Americans and using the money to finance social welfare programs
  • cutting the budget of the Department of Defense by as much as fifteen percent over the course of his administration
  • declaring Apartheid-era South Africa* to be a rogue nation
  • instituting an immediate nuclear freeze and beginning disarmament negotiations with the Soviet Union
  • giving reparations to descendants of black slaves
  • supporting family farmers by reviving many of Roosevelt's New Deal–era farm programs
  • creating a single-payer system of universal health care
  • ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment
  • increasing federal funding for lower-level public education and providing free community college to all
  • applying stricter enforcement of the Voting Rights Act and
  • supporting the formation of a Palestinian state.
* Replace South Africa with Israel
jesse jackson chose not to endorse anyone in the primary even though sanders had endorsed his bid :negative:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Frijolero posted:

Didn't Bond help Bolivia re-nationalize the water or some poo poo??

Macron would do the exact opposite :lol::lol:

People complained that Quantum of Solace had a bad villain with a boring plan, but he's one of the few who did anything like real-life evil.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Frijolero posted:

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/882553571467603968

You do this and you eliminate alot of Tea Party animus. Make public-facing government functions simpler and accessible and people won't be pissed off all the goddamn time.
but then H&R Block et al can't collect economic rents from an intentionally obtuse and complicated tax filing system

imagine all the jobs that would be lost when you get rid of unpopular parasites on the economy :qq:

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

comedyblissoption posted:

jesse jackson chose not to endorse anyone in the primary even though sanders had endorsed his bid :negative:

Would you go up against the Underwoods Clintons?

Zoran posted:

People complained that Quantum of Solace had a bad villain with a boring plan, but he's one of the few who did anything like real-life evil.

It was legit as hell and has educated a lot of people.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
of all the people to cultivate that level of blind devotion hillary is the most baffling to me

like she wasn't an inspirational figure like obama, nor did she have her husband's innate ability to read a room nor his populist appeal

the clinton patronage system is a real thing, but that was more tied to bill than her. and none of these clods would ever in a million years come within sniffing range of them; they're just regular assholes like the rest of us

and to still desperately cling to her as some sort of grand leader of the anti-trump resistance when she pretty much hosed off immediately after the election back to her club of wealthy donor friends where she's clearly much more in her element. it genuinely beggars belief

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

The Muppets On PCP posted:

of all the people to cultivate that level of blind devotion hillary is the most baffling to me

like she wasn't an inspirational figure like obama, nor did she have her husband's innate ability to read a room nor his populist appeal

the clinton patronage system is a real thing, but that was more tied to bill than her. and none of these clods would ever in a million years come within sniffing range of them; they're just regular assholes like the rest of us

and to still desperately cling to her as some sort of grand leader of the anti-trump resistance when she pretty much hosed off immediately after the election back to her club of wealthy donor friends where she's clearly much more in her element. it genuinely beggars belief
i rationalize it as either people desperate to see a woman in the oval office or as decorum-huffing West Wing fans

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Hillary is not gifted at politicking with the public, but she did successfully cultivate an image as the only viable female presidential candidate for basically two whole generations. I don't resent people for being enthusiastic about the chance to finally make a woman president. Unfortunately that meant a lot of people projected all their own ideas about how great a woman president would be onto her, irrespective of her actual actions and beliefs. Kind of like what happened with Obama, where a whole lot of people ignored his actual public statements in order to imagine him as a transformative figure. (I was guilty of this, but in my defense I was 15 during his first run.)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

comedyblissoption posted:

Jesse Jackson has every right to be completely alienated from and cynical about American politics by this point in his life

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Zoran posted:

Hillary is not gifted at politicking with the public, but she did successfully cultivate an image as the only viable female presidential candidate for basically two whole generations. I don't resent people for being enthusiastic about the chance to finally make a woman president. Unfortunately that meant a lot of people projected all their own ideas about how great a woman president would be onto her, irrespective of her actual actions and beliefs. Kind of like what happened with Obama, where a whole lot of people ignored his actual public statements in order to imagine him as a transformative figure. (I was guilty of this, but in my defense I was 15 during his first run.)

The idea that a lot of Hillary primary voters liked her mainly because they were so relieved to finally have a woman running for president with the right letter next to her name is one of those things you Weren't Allowed To Say at the time, but it was anecdotally true for every one of them I knew who was under 35

(the over-35s were operating on a strict anti-kids-today agenda)

But really the main thing to glean from this is that the severe dearth of women candidates fielded by the Democratic Party is a major flaw that needs to be addressed. It's hosed-up that the GOP keeps throwing Palins and Bachmanns and Fiorinas at us and the best we can manage is Hillary followed by Hillary Again

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

1) Hillary is a political/cultural juggernaut with an army of paid and volunteer PR people who make her look good.
2) Older people who like her remember fightin' Hillary from the 90s.
3) Younger people who like her remember Obama, don't know/care about her terrible Sec. of State policies.
4) She's rich, white, powerful, what's not to like for people who worship meritocracy?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
"the republican platform is mostly tax cuts for the rich, not multi-trillion dollar bags of money floating from the sky to forgive debts for dumb white ladies who went to notre dame

one of these has slightly better optics than the other

not to mention, everyone is familiar with the sting of taxation. the bottom two thirds has no idea what it's like to have to skip avacado toast one sunday in order to make a minimum payment on their private school debt"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/GOP/status/882621153193406465

https://twitter.com/RubenGallego/status/882635548438839300

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hillary absolutely became a sympathetic figure in the 90s because she was a nonstop target of a mountain of sexist bullshit from limbaugh and a bunch of the other worst people in the country.

i actually had a positive view of her mostly because of that up until the 2008 primary when she went extremely racist against obama

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

:ironicat::ironicat::ironicat:

growing_ironicat.gif

especially since Bernie has been describing his plan nonstop for two years

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

File photo: Presidential candidate Mark Zuckerberg awaiting praise from The Suck Zone

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Frijolero posted:

Now here's a picture of Killer Mike

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

zegermans posted:

https://twitter.com/KillerMike/status/800061348017217537

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/826630451125174273?lang=en

:thunk:

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

zegermans posted:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Shear Modulus posted:

hillary absolutely became a sympathetic figure in the 90s because she was a nonstop target of a mountain of sexist bullshit from limbaugh and a bunch of the other worst people in the country.

i actually had a positive view of her mostly because of that up until the 2008 primary when she went extremely racist against obama

ya basically. i think republican hate machine against her was super disgusting and tbh i think part of that is what turned her into the guarded robot she is today which is kinda sad.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

loquacius posted:

But really the main thing to glean from this is that the severe dearth of women candidates fielded by the Democratic Party is a major flaw that needs to be addressed. It's hosed-up that the GOP keeps throwing Palins and Bachmanns and Fiorinas at us and the best we can manage is Hillary followed by Hillary Again

I'd imagine Hillary herself had something to do with this.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just popping in to say Zuck's continued pushing of UBI has a lot of party people in meltdown mode because a loving tech goonlord is to the left of them lmao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Venom Snake posted:

Just popping in to say Zuck's continued pushing of UBI has a lot of party people in meltdown mode because a loving tech goonlord is to the left of them lmao

well with things becoming even more automated in the 10-15 years you pretty need UBI and most of the country will end up on the unemployment road.

Jobs like truck driver will pretty much be toast 15 years from now.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Venom Snake posted:

so the party is already preparing for a zuck run huh

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shear Modulus posted:

the funny thing there is her public favorability declined pretty rapidly in the wake of the lewinksy scandal

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

zegermans posted:

Well I feel like the Bernie Bro demographic and Killer Mike listeners overlap a lot. Killer Mike didn't help Bernie get the votes of old black ladies for whatever reason, probably racism.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Venom Snake posted:

party people probably should take a good look and realize how badly they're being left behind by their own base and the nation :(

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

the funny thing there is her public favorability declined pretty rapidly in the wake of the lewinksy scandal

nobody likes a cuck i guess

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Not to mention how she went after the women who accused Bill of sexual harassment as loony tunes and complete liars.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

imagine a world where he gets single payer passed and is heralded in history as the second FDR

ZuckCare

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

didn't bill's increase lol

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

nobody likes a cuck i guess

a lot of people soured on her for not ditching bill for obvious political reasons

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Was just asking a friend for the lowdown on Gallego. I had my eye on him a couple years ago to see how he'd turn out, seems like a potential national figure for the Dems.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
His rhetoric recently has been good but I don't have a good sense of his track record.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Shear Modulus posted:

I didn't believe the right wing smears until it suited me to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Oh Snapple! posted:

didn't bill's increase lol

only right near the end after the election

• Locked thread