Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Crotch Fruit posted:

Unless the top beam is cut, both products can support the weight of a bath tub.

Was waiting for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Crotch Fruit posted:

https://goulddesigninc.wordpress.com/2014/02/06/which-product-is-better-i-joists-or-floor-trusses-part-2/
The truss can span a greater length for the same cross section but it is slightly more likely to flex and of course it's also significantly easier to run plumbing, hvac, and electrical through a truss. I joists advantages are they can be cut in the field and can slow the spread of fire more. Unless the top beam is cut, both products can support the weight of a bath tub.

Thanks, that link was basically exactly what I was looking for but my Google fu was failing me.

e: and it jibes with my experience. This truss floor seems more flexy than the I-beams. I'm still a bit worried about this characteristic but so far it seems fine. I.e. it bends but doesn't break.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 4, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My house has those trusses, bonus running anything through them is laughably easy but also none of the walls downstairs are load bearing - I can move walls around willy nilly because the trusses are sized for clear spans across the house.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I was gonna post in the tidying thread, but it's archived :v:

I've spent the last couple weekends going absolutely wild cleaning/organizing the apartment to get rid of the stink of the infinite depression loop I participated in with my ex girlfriend. There was so much mouse poop under all the untouched junk that I threw out from the hall closet :gonk:. Don't worry, I bleached the floors.

Anyway, I rearranged my entire living room, got rid of a bunch of old furniture that was just taking up space, moved my desk to the back corner, consolidated the couches/TV against a wall, and it feels like I quadrupled the amount of floor space in there. It's great.

I brought like 4 big boxes of books and a bunch of board games to Goodwill on Monday, sold two game consoles and their games, and I threw out like a huge amount of crap that we had brought with us when we moved in, then just left haphazardly in closets for years without touching it. I forgot to bring my DVDs with me, so I'll bring those next time; I haven't watched a DVD in like a year.

Meanwhile, I brought my Yamaha keyboard back out of the closet and have been practicing again. Feels good.

Rooms that are left to do:
The bathroom. This isn't too bad, honestly, but the counters haven't been properly cleaned in forever because they were always covered in like a million cosmetic products that my ex never bothered to put away or take care of. I also want to replace the toilet seat with something easier to clean, and put in a nicer shower head while I'm at it. The seat I have is one of those painted wood seats and it: sucks. It's missing paint in a bunch of places where it like scrubbed off, and it's just an eyesore.

The Kitchen. Also not too bad, I mostly just need to organize some things, and scan the fridge for ancient condiments or whatever. I'm gonna put the spices in one of those little stacks of plastic drawers, instead of just like haphazardly up in the cabinet, and I can use the top surface of that thing for bread or onions, or something.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

I forgot to bring my DVDs with me, so I'll bring those next time; I haven't watched a DVD in like a year.

Congrats on the big cleanup. If you have a bunch of free space on a hard drive you can use makemkv to convert those into easily watchable files before discarding them in the trash.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

deadly_pudding posted:

I was gonna post in the tidying thread, but it's archived :v:

This post makes me feel good. Nice job. :3

Kind of the opposite of House Spergin' though...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

If you have a bunch of free space on a hard drive you can use makemkv to convert those into easily watchable files before discarding them in the trash.

Is there a good bulk way of doing this? I have about 1500 DVDs and the bulk places charge like 85p/disc. I'm familiar with makemkv but doing them all by hand is real :effort:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Arachnamus posted:

Is there a good bulk way of doing this? I have about 1500 DVDs and the bulk places charge like 85p/disc. I'm familiar with makemkv but doing them all by hand is real :effort:

Alternate is I spent ~30$ on 1000 CD sleeves and 8 5 1/2" boxes and I downsized all my DVDs to that over a couple of nights while watching Netflix. It went from 5-6 boxes or 4 DVD cases to two 15" cubbies.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Arachnamus posted:

:stare: I mean MakeMKV turns it into a single button press but I was imagining a "large" collection at "100 titles." 1500 titles is also 6TB which is a lot of space to have laying around. No way would I rip 1500 titles.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hughlander posted:

Alternate is I spent ~30$ on 1000 CD sleeves and 8 5 1/2" boxes and I downsized all my DVDs to that over a couple of nights while watching Netflix. It went from 5-6 boxes or 4 DVD cases to two 15" cubbies.

They're already in flight cases, I threw away the individual cases years ago.

H110Hawk posted:

1500 titles is also 6TB which is a lot of space to have laying around.

I have a 40TB NAS that's only half full so that's fine. I guess I'll find some set up to do it over a very long time.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Arachnamus posted:

I have a 40TB NAS that's only half full so that's fine. I guess I'll find some set up to do it over a very long time.

I think you should stick to your original plan of donating them for a tax writeoff rather than miring yourself with a hilariously large task. Take a picture of them discs 100 at a shot spread on your floor so when you get audited you have proof.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This is surely getting off topic now but the reason for doing it is retention of things that don't really exist outside of DVD or at least physical media. Things like certain special features and commentary in film, but more so full series of TV shows that aren't ever going to be transferred to HD. About half the DVDs are TV series like that.

I wouldn't bother transferring the Harry Potter films but Jeeves & Wooster? Pink Panther? The High Life? These are things that might never show up on bluray.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe
(I originally posted this under a new thread in DIY but later realized this is a better place for it. Please forgive me for the double post as I try to learn how to undo the first one.)

I was advised by the good folks in General Bullshit that I might find answers to my questions here . . . and I do have many! This is a start, though.

So previous owners of this house, which I just recently purchased, had removed an in-ground swimming pool. It was covered with fill dirt and looked much like a desert wasteland when we first moved in a little over a month ago, and I am busy with restoration; the place was a bit neglected, but it has excellent bones! Moving along, though, there is some residual plumbing from the pool (and from an in-ground sprinkler system I will ask about later) that I'd like to get rid of. It's an eyesore in the utility room and along the home's foundation in the backyard. Let's start with this image:

http://imgur.com/N2cdGBW

That shows the end of what appears to be PVC drain pipe on the outside corner of the house. It extends along the house like this:

http://i.imgur.com/1qGFk2o.jpg

And after it goes through the foundation, it goes into the utility room and heads down like this:

http://i.imgur.com/D7lXxW2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5UMv0r6.jpg

And then it joins in a sort of double drain pipe contraption like this before going into the basement floor.

http://i.imgur.com/Ici4U7c.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JIhch0d.jpg

Where can I begin removing this? I'd like to do it as closely to the floor as possible, thus eliminating the bulk of the drain pipe. I think the oddness of the pipe has to do with the workings of the swimming pool's pump and recirculation system, but I don't know anything about pools. I've never owned one!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Goongrats on productive break-up and massive house cleaning :iia:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Arachnamus posted:

Throw them all in the bin and when you actually want to watch a movie that you used to own (hint: probably never), download it with a clear conscience.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Today I added a new outdoor hose hookup. I tee'd into the pipe where my ice maker supply was also connected.

Scalding hot water came out of the hose, and now I know why my ice maker has worked like poo poo the whole 9 years I've lived here.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

Scalding hot water came out of the hose, and now I know why my ice maker has worked like poo poo the whole 9 years I've lived here.

Amazing. What else was it connected to?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Arachnamus posted:

Amazing. What else was it connected to?

Nothing. I'm sure if the fridge had a water dispenser we would have noticed, but it's ice-only.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
:psyduck: I'll be impressed if your ice machine isn't straight-up broken after that.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Vitalis Jackson posted:

(I originally posted this under a new thread in DIY but later realized this is a better place for it. Please forgive me for the double post as I try to learn how to undo the first one.)

I was advised by the good folks in General Bullshit that I might find answers to my questions here . . . and I do have many! This is a start, though.

So previous owners of this house, which I just recently purchased, had removed an in-ground swimming pool. It was covered with fill dirt and looked much like a desert wasteland when we first moved in a little over a month ago, and I am busy with restoration; the place was a bit neglected, but it has excellent bones! Moving along, though, there is some residual plumbing from the pool (and from an in-ground sprinkler system I will ask about later) that I'd like to get rid of. It's an eyesore in the utility room and along the home's foundation in the backyard. Let's start with this image:

http://imgur.com/N2cdGBW

That shows the end of what appears to be PVC drain pipe on the outside corner of the house. It extends along the house like this:

http://i.imgur.com/1qGFk2o.jpg

And after it goes through the foundation, it goes into the utility room and heads down like this:

http://i.imgur.com/D7lXxW2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5UMv0r6.jpg

And then it joins in a sort of double drain pipe contraption like this before going into the basement floor.

http://i.imgur.com/Ici4U7c.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JIhch0d.jpg

Where can I begin removing this? I'd like to do it as closely to the floor as possible, thus eliminating the bulk of the drain pipe. I think the oddness of the pipe has to do with the workings of the swimming pool's pump and recirculation system, but I don't know anything about pools. I've never owned one!

What is it connected to on the other end?

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe

n0tqu1tesane posted:

What is it connected to on the other end?

The end on the outside corner of the house goes nowhere, it's capped. I suppose that went to the recirculation pump or filtration unit or heat or whatever. The end in the house, the part in the utility room, goes into the floor.

I'm tempted to just take a hacksaw and lop off the 2" PVC pipe 6" inches or so above the floor, but that "twin towers" look concerns me. I don't know what it's about.

Vitalis Jackson fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 6, 2017

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Vitalis Jackson posted:

The end on the outside corner of the house goes nowhere, it's capped. I suppose that went to the recirculation pump or filtration unit or heat or whatever. The end in the house, the part in the utility room, goes into the floor.

I'm tempted to just take a hacksaw and lop off the 2" PVC pipe 6" inches or so above the floor, but that "twin towers" look concerns me. I don't know what it's about.

From it's proximity to the water hookups for your washing machine, it looks like it may have been the drain for the washing machine at one point.

Also, the this image shows a rusted iron pipe, and it doesn't look like PVC. Are you sure it's the same pipe?

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe
I shouldn't have included the second picture; that one is the view from around the corner of the house, after the PVC drain pipe ends. The rusty pipe is a gas line that ends at about the same corner, and I'm assuming it went to the pool heater at one point. I'll be removing that as well.

When you look at the first picture, you'll see the PVC drain pipe ending in a capped 90 degree elbow on the outside corner of the house.

I've never seen a dedicated in-floor drain for a washing machine, but I suppose it's possible. Currently the washing machine drains elsewhere.

The issue I have is the way the drain pipe approaches the in-floor drain. There's an odd second PVC tube that connects parallel with it, and I suppose it's 2-4' in length, running vertically alongside it as it descends to the floor (shown in the later photos). It is connected to the main drain pipe via an elbow, and is capped at the top. I assume it has something to do with the process of draining the old pool, maybe as an airway.

I think the entire assembly is very specific to the operations of the pool when it was in place.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Ugh, ants (probably carpenter, these dudes are huge) are coming into my back bathroom and driving me crazy. I saw one a few days ago, whatever, crushed it and flushed it. The next few days, there's three or so in there, gently caress it, crushed em and flushed em. Today, they're going apeshit. Have to have killed 40 or so in there. No lines, no tracks, just all scouts probably coming in from outside because of the rain. Killed a few in my toilet tank too, fuckers were going in there for delicious moisture. So, whatever, I'll find where those dudes are coming from and shut em down.

Spent a goddamn hour just sitting in there waiting for one to come in. Nothing. :smithicide: I ordered outdoor Terro baits, but they won't get here until Monday. Probably buy a couple of the normal ones from Home Depot tomorrow and just stick em out on the lanai and hope they can steer them away from coming inside.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

deadwing posted:

Ugh, ants (probably carpenter, these dudes are huge) are coming into my back bathroom and driving me crazy. I saw one a few days ago, whatever, crushed it and flushed it. The next few days, there's three or so in there, gently caress it, crushed em and flushed em. Today, they're going apeshit. Have to have killed 40 or so in there. No lines, no tracks, just all scouts probably coming in from outside because of the rain. Killed a few in my toilet tank too, fuckers were going in there for delicious moisture. So, whatever, I'll find where those dudes are coming from and shut em down.

Spent a goddamn hour just sitting in there waiting for one to come in. Nothing. :smithicide: I ordered outdoor Terro baits, but they won't get here until Monday. Probably buy a couple of the normal ones from Home Depot tomorrow and just stick em out on the lanai and hope they can steer them away from coming inside.

I swear by terro. Got a gently caress ton of Ants in my house when we came back from camping one weekend and this cleared them out.

On a side note, if you know where they are coming in, I threw down flour which is supposed to gently caress up ants pretty hard

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

I swear by terro. Got a gently caress ton of Ants in my house when we came back from camping one weekend and this cleared them out.

On a side note, if you know where they are coming in, I threw down flour which is supposed to gently caress up ants pretty hard

I thought I knew where they're coming from, but they just seem to be coming from everywhere, with a concentration on that bathroom. I know my new pavers covered up a nest, they're probably just finding a way out. They all seem super disoriented and ready to die.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I use this stuff for argentine ants, but it says it works for carpenter ants: https://www.amazon.com/Amdro-Block-Home-Perimeter-Granules/dp/B000QDEQ7E/ref=sr_1_3 . Ace sells it, I'm sure Home Depot does as well.

They carry it back to the nest as food, and it kills the whole colony in what I hope is the most horrific painful slow death because seriously gently caress ants. I sprinkle it around the outside of my house and it takes about a day to work, but then I see no ants for a month or so. If the ants coming into your house aren't searching for food, though, it may not work.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Erwin posted:

I use this stuff for argentine ants, but it says it works for carpenter ants: https://www.amazon.com/Amdro-Block-Home-Perimeter-Granules/dp/B000QDEQ7E/ref=sr_1_3 . Ace sells it, I'm sure Home Depot does as well.

They carry it back to the nest as food, and it kills the whole colony in what I hope is the most horrific painful slow death because seriously gently caress ants. I sprinkle it around the outside of my house and it takes about a day to work, but then I see no ants for a month or so. If the ants coming into your house aren't searching for food, though, it may not work.

We use that as well, but you have to read the warnings carefully as it Really Actually Toxic. In fact I just came in from baiting yet another trail. It works a treat, they largely only need a few grains. Sadly I often cannot find the nest, but when I do it lasts months.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Erwin posted:

Borax mixed with a little sugar works better than anything else I've tried, and I haven't had to do it again in years.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

ElCondemn posted:

Borax mixed with a little sugar works better than anything else I've tried, and I haven't had to do it again in years.
Yeah, this is what's in those Terro bait traps, a borax sugar syrup. It's basically non-toxic to people and pets, housemate's toddler grabbed a trap from where we THOUGHT she couldn't reach and sucked on it and didn't even get the nausea that was warned of.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Vitalis Jackson posted:

I've never seen a dedicated in-floor drain for a washing machine, but I suppose it's possible. Currently the washing machine drains elsewhere.
I couldn't say whether it's code or not, but every washing machine should have a nearby floor drain. It's pretty standard, if not quite 100% in my area (Illinois).

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe

Slugworth posted:

I couldn't say whether it's code or not, but every washing machine should have a nearby floor drain. It's pretty standard, if not quite 100% in my area (Illinois).

Yup, there is a nearby drain for flooding. This isn't that, though; it's a separate drain penetrating the basement floor, probably within 2 feet of the floor drain and the regular drain stack. In any event, I took matters into my own hands. I removed the long outside drain pipe section (20' or so) using a hacksaw, then cut away sections in the utility room until I was able to pull the pipe from the floor. I capped off the floor drain, and it's done.

Still confused over the nature of that "double stack" above the floor drain, though; it almost looks as if there was something else joining the pool drain in that system. It may be that the pool originally drained into the main stack but created backup problems in other drains when it was going full bore, so they ran a dedicated drain line to the main stack below basement grade.

Thanks for your time, folks.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Regarding ant-chat, I've tried using Terro traps, for years, but the fuckers always come back. This year, I just said "gently caress it" and paid for an exterminator to spray a perimeter around the house and put small globs of Terro-like substances at various points in the house. I have not seen an ant, since, so it was worth the $200 bucks for me.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I have been asked to clean some poo poo off a wall, and I was wondering the best way to do it.

I have been told its on top of a thin layer of concrete over brick. Are there any secret methods that cut down on the manual labour, or is it a case of scraping that fucker till its all gone?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
A scraper attachment on an oscillating tool? The Harbor Freight one is functional enough.

Wetting down the plaster first might loosen it and cut down on dust.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

A 16 year old apprentice with an SDS drill / chisel attachment.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ant chat!

I have an ant invasion every spring. I use the outdoor traps around the base of my foundation, and then some Terro liquid traps indoors near where they congregate (mostly kitchen and bathroom). Clears up the problem in about a day or two.

However... every few years my yard turns into a pile of anthills, and I've found the only thing that works is this nasty poison I spray with the hose (I started off with "green" products, which did nothing). It's so toxic, that I don't let the cat outside for a few days after I use it. But then my yard returns to grass for 2-3 years. However, Home Depot no longer sells the stuff I was using.

Any recommendation for something to spray in my yard for ants?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Squashy Nipples posted:

Ant chat!

I have an ant invasion every spring. I use the outdoor traps around the base of my foundation, and then some Terro liquid traps indoors near where they congregate (mostly kitchen and bathroom). Clears up the problem in about a day or two.

However... every few years my yard turns into a pile of anthills, and I've found the only thing that works is this nasty poison I spray with the hose (I started off with "green" products, which did nothing). It's so toxic, that I don't let the cat outside for a few days after I use it. But then my yard returns to grass for 2-3 years. However, Home Depot no longer sells the stuff I was using.

https://www.domyownpestcontrol.com sells a lot of the heavy-hitting products a pro would use, with good explanations and phone support.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

https://www.domyownpestcontrol.com sells a lot of the heavy-hitting products a pro would use, with good explanations and phone support.

"I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Squashy Nipples posted:

Have you tried the Terro outdoor bait granules? They're based on the same non-toxic poison you use in-doors, but made weather-resistant. I haven't tried it yet but I have a canister on the way and I figure it will likely be effective without being too toxic.