Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I got all my Omega loot this week in 1 run of O1, 2 runs of O2, 1 run of O3, and 1 run of O4.

I look forward to never having this luck again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fister Roboto posted:

The SB alchemist quests have some really interesting lore implications.

Particularly the idea that the Calamity could have been avoided if it wasn't for the actions of F'lhammin and her friends. You read that right, Minfillia's catmom indirectly caused the Calamity.

What? How?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I think a more interesting question is how come there's only like one crossbreed in the entire world.

(its because they don't want to model them)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

10 years before the start of 1.0, F'lhammin and her friends were trying to get Ul'dah to go to war with Garlemald. They came up with a stupid, convoluted plan to unleash a goobbue during a parade, subdue the creature, become heroes for it, and then use their popularity to influence the Syndicate to go to war. The plan went horribly wrong, though. Your character actually gets to witness this event in an echo flashback in 1.0. Anyway, this resulted in Minfillia's father getting killed, and as it turned out, he was a spy for the Ala Mhigan Resistance, and he had critical information about Project Meteor. That information died with him.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I feel like the races in FF14 aren't super important to the plot except when it's convenient (like the Steppes tribes). Even if they gave some sort of plot reason at some point, It felt to me like Pippin was a Lalafell because he needed to be smaller than Raubahn and Ul'Dah has a sort of Lalafell theme,. and Minfilia's mother is a Miqote because someone wanted a cat mom in the game

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Ularg posted:

How hosed am I trying to get into Excalibur. I'm an American wanting to play with goons yet it seems it doesn't matter what time I try to create this character.

It's probably going to be pretty tough with the new raid coming out today plus holiday. You can try again in a few days or make a char on another server and pay the transfer fee

Ferrinus posted:

On six targets, a rotation including F2 does 5760 potency/20.5 seconds = 281pps compared to the Flare-only rotation's 4032 potency/14.5 seconds = 278pps, although to be fair this does ignore Thunder and assume a 2.5s GCD.

Right so that's why I said I have been doing a rotation that includes thunder

And not F2

Unless you're in futureland and have a GCD below 2s you only need one bridging ability for the 12s transpose cooldown and thunder is better than fire. I'm on my phone so can't check numbers but pretty sure that's true even if you're clipping thunder at 12s

F2 is bad

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Oxyclean posted:

Healing/WHM is a lot more fun when you outgear stuff, or at least don't have sucky gear. Healing ldr stuff wasn't too bad until I got to Stone Vigil - I don't know if I was bad, my gear was bad, or if the tank was bad, or some combination of the three. My gear was pretty close to my level but the tank would just melt, i lost them a few times on aoe pulls and was basically going oom just keeping them alive. It's a ton more fun now that I'm 60 and have shire gear and some more options to emergency heal and get mana back.

Brayfox is the first indicator to tanks that things are going to get a bit tougher. Then along comes Stone Vigil and pretends to be the semi truck from Maximum Overdrive with the gremlin face on it and plows over anyone not ready for it. poo poo hits HARD, and if you're tanking it at level you're pretty much using cool downs on every pack.

Running lldr I'll still get put in parties to this day where the tank quit on a group in there.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sade posted:

I realize I'm on the edge of Balmung territory with this question, but why are none of the characters have have moms and dads ever the same race as the kids. Raubahn has a potato son and Minfilia has a cat mom, but the whys of this are never ever discussed. Are all Eorzean babies adopted? Are Pipin and Minfilia actually terrifying mutant hybrids?

In addition to what was already said, the races can interbreed, and the resulting kid has some characteristics of both patents. The only examples I can think of are Hilda (elezan/Hyur with less pointy elf ears), the guy in the Ala mhigan resistance (I thiiiink he was just mid/highlander though), and a princess from An Ra history whose parents were hyur and au ra and she was born with barely any scales.

Supposedly this mixing is really looked down upon, like Hilda has clearly been shunned for her heritage and there's the gay hyur/catboy couple who talk about their love being forbidden. But at the same time basically every time sexy stuff is brought up by npcs it's stuff like catgirls dancing for mixed race crowds (who are clearly Horned Up) or the much less savory lalafell ladies aboard the Shatasha crew with no lalafell men in sight. In other words, who knows. Also alphy <3 krile :333

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 5, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Countblanc posted:

Also alphy <3 krile :333

True.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Also alphy <3 krile :333

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this.

Overall, race is a Thing in FF14, but it's not as big of a Thing as nationality or culture.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
There's apparently a crop of Garlean/hyur kids without extra eyes all over the conquered territories, based on that one self-hating dude in the Scions.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Countblanc posted:

or the much less savory lalafell ladies aboard the Shatasha crew with no lalafell men in sight

There are human and catgirl women in the captain's quarters, and one goes "I swear on what little remains of my virtue that I'm not one of them!" Coupled with the mobs sometimes shouting "Take the women alive!" I think the implications of what the pirates were doing is clear.

There was also that entirely gratuitous quest involving scantily clad catgirls in Thanalan who are totally almost naked for religious reasons asking you to shoo away peeping toms but then at quest completion said my [female elf] PC was welcome to stay and peep on them, noting "Bet you thought I didn't swing that way, huh?" A friend confirmed she doesn't say that for male PCs.

I'm all for queer representation, but that stuff seems downright tasteless.When making my first character, I went with an elf lady because the human and miqo'te women had nonstop panty shots in the opening cutscene.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Also the postmoogle quest with the two guys fighting over which ladies are better, the lala or the catgirls.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Is there actually an Atlantis city like in the stormblood intro

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ramadu posted:

Is there actually an Atlantis city like in the stormblood intro

Its more like atlantis village

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Freak Futanari posted:

For Monks, the indignities never end

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullshit, the old PvP style was way better, because you had to actually think about what you were doing and which skills and cooldowns you used, instead of mashing the autocombo button until either you or the other guy mashing his own autocombo button keels over dead. The only people new PvP is better for is people who somehow failed to grasp that MMOs, in fact, sometimes expect you to press several - and sometimes even many! - buttons

It was pretty cool to be able to walk up to a healer/ranged dps/four stack tank and just delete them from existence with my insanely powerful and well thought out plan of "Hit Dragon Kick, Twin Snakes, and then press four oGCD buttons in the same order every time" skill set, I guess, kinda. Except not cool or fun at all, I guess.

Old post, but seriously gently caress old pvp.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Asimo posted:

With Omega, yeah one of the big things that came up is that it fundamentally doesn't understand human emotion or motivation. It might not even really be sapient, and instead is just an elaborate and powerful automaton operating out of control.

I recommend reading Blindsight, by the way. Good sci-fi book with a central concept very relevant to what you wrote there.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Countblanc posted:

In addition to what was already said, the races can interbreed, and the resulting kid has some characteristics of both patents. The only examples I can think of are Hilda (elezan/Hyur with less pointy elf ears), the guy in the Ala mhigan resistance (I thiiiink he was just mid/highlander though), and a princess from An Ra history whose parents were hyur and au ra and she was born with barely any scales.

Supposedly this mixing is really looked down upon, like Hilda has clearly been shunned for her heritage and there's the gay hyur/catboy couple who talk about their love being forbidden. But at the same time basically every time sexy stuff is brought up by npcs it's stuff like catgirls dancing for mixed race crowds (who are clearly Horned Up) or the much less savory lalafell ladies aboard the Shatasha crew with no lalafell men in sight. In other words, who knows. Also alphy <3 krile :333

It's supposed to be a like a 99% chance of the kid of a mixed race just popping out as whatever the mother is, and a 1% chance of it having traits of both actually, which explains why they're so rare/looked down upon.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Fister Roboto posted:

ALC 70 quest stuff

Thanks for posting this. I'm one of those people who doesn't enjoy crafting, so I will probably never see this myself but I eat all of this lore stuff up.

Catmom's still around, right? I haven't seen her in the Rising Stones lately...

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Stormgale posted:

Omega request/hope Interdimensional fighting tournament means Gilgamesh right?

It totally does.

And I hope Omega works out this whole "heroes" thing right at the end when we inevitably fight it and applies it to itself and suddenly starts pulling out straight up limit breaks and stuff.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Thundarr posted:

This is unlikely. We already got the end boss of FF5. What we'll probably see between the regular and challenge mode Omega raids is some combination of FF1, 2, 4, 6, and 9. If they're feeling saucy then maybe non-FF series like Dragon Quest or Ogre Battle. (Brave Fencer Musashi floor 3: DANCE OR DIE. Please look forward to it.)

The monkeys paw crossover would be Drakengaard-themed. Don't beat it or you will start a chain of events that ends civilization in Eorzea at large.

I would kill for an Emil boss fight. Zero would also be acceptable

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its more like atlantis village

This is terrible news

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

So, I have the BLM Lv. 60 Makai set / title, but it's my only job above 60. I'm capped on wolf marks - the heck do I spend them on now? Been frontlining as AST who is at 49.8 as of last night

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Rainuwastaken posted:

Thanks for posting this. I'm one of those people who doesn't enjoy crafting, so I will probably never see this myself but I eat all of this lore stuff up.

Catmom's still around, right? I haven't seen her in the Rising Stones lately...

Catmom's around, she's upstairs in Revenant's Toll for whatever reason, in the little restaurant on top of the walls that nobody ever really visits. With that said you'll meet with NPCs there for the culinarian 63-70 quests, and will see her just sitting there remarking on how much it's changed if you talk to her.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So from what I'm reading melded 290 HQ crafted DoH/DoL gear is better than the scrip gear except for the scrip main hand which is leagues better than the crafted version. Has anyone else looked at this yet?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Ramadu posted:

This is terrible news

Well, Cao is kind of wrong. There's an underwater village, but there's also an underwater city which is a sidequest dungeon from the village. The trailer shows off the city, because the village definitely does not have the giant buildings that are represented there. So yes, there is a sort-of Atlantis.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ramadu posted:

This is terrible news

Pretty much sums up my opinion of everything having to do with diving in the game so far.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Truga posted:

I googled FF5 and it looks like something I'd play on my C64, so uh, no thanks.

How can you not know the difference between early 8-bit and 16-bit? :psyduck:

C64 couldn't even do Final Fantasy 1 properly, much less FF5.

Truga posted:

You're right, the c64 font wasn't quite as ugly.

And it's even worse, the version on steam is apparently a mobile version of the game and there's people complaining the UI is trash? Even classic FF UI is garbage, how much of a dumpster fire is that port?

Don't play any of the ports, just play them on original cart or emulator. Get a translation patch.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Concurred posted:

So, I have the BLM Lv. 60 Makai set / title, but it's my only job above 60. I'm capped on wolf marks - the heck do I spend them on now? Been frontlining as AST who is at 49.8 as of last night

Go inside the ship vendor place on the docks and see if there is any of the non Makai PVP set gear you like the look of and glamour away. Fill up your retainers with pretty princess dressup sets. Buy the Dark Knight Stormblood set weapon to beat people with a giant bat.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

So from what I'm reading melded 290 HQ crafted DoH/DoL gear is better than the scrip gear except for the scrip main hand which is leagues better than the crafted version. Has anyone else looked at this yet?

I haven't looked into it but it wouldn't be surprising given VI materia and the possibility of overmelding it.

They should really consider giving crafter blues 2 slots but no overmelding like DoW/M gear.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The odds of O4 Savage having an extra phase/form that O4N lacks is probably 90 percent.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Concurred posted:

There's a total of 30k to spend on music and a minion, which are both necessary to enjoying the true XIV endgame.

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

bewilderment posted:

People tell me that Elezen animations look janky because of the long limbs but I've never paid enough attention to spot anyone actually playing one.

I fantasiad from Elezen to dragongirl at the end of Heavensward, and while I had never really noticed anything wrong with the animations previously, the ones I have now just look...cleaner somehow. It's not a big deal, but I don't know that I would go back.

Harrow posted:

Gah, how did I forget Sacred Soil? My first job to 50 was SCH :negative:

Easy to forget, nobody ever stands in it.

Mordiceius posted:

I got all my Omega loot this week in 1 run of O1, 2 runs of O2, 1 run of O3, and 1 run of O4.

I look forward to never having this luck again.

Got loot in one run on O1, O2, and O4. 0 for 2 on O3 so far, I look forward to it taking another dozen+ runs to get.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Giraffe ladies have the same issue as roegadames, their heads are way small so they look pretty dumb in some armor or if you picked the wrong height.

Concurred posted:

Other than music/minion you can also buy the gear for your next 60 and their achievement, or buy the new cosmetic PvP gear or old sets for glamour from the vendors inside the ship for your BLM.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I got to 316 in week one which is pretty nice. I honestly feel like I can hit 320 in 2/3 weeks which seems reasonable.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

For the token drops, just remember your robot friend.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It seems like Stormblood is doing pretty great in getting old players back. Myself included. I viewed Heavensward as kind of a lame expansion and kept the game off my radar for a while.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Susano Ex down.

An extremely easy fight made difficult by people not understanding that running over a big red line is your #1 priority, not finishing your cast that will hit for 0.1% hp.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

a kitten posted:

For the token drops, just remember your robot friend.

Someone on reddit made an up-to-date version:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Unless Savage requires it to survive something, sacred soil right now has dubious keybind status in terms of efficiency. It's a shame because I like the succor proc it has.