Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Jo posted:

If I switch things up and point them at a node directly instead of the load balancer, all the requests magically work. Between that and the intermittent nature of the failure, it seemed pretty compelling evidence that there was something FUBAR'd with the load balancer. Again, though, OPS is very insistent it's fine and the problem is in our application.

As Gul Banana said, if you've already eliminated your code as a variable and Ops is still refusing to help, then the only way forward is to go over their head. They're blocking you and you can't proceed with this functionality until they fix whatever's wrong on their end. Keep in mind they may have legit reasons for not helping right now but if that's the case they still shouldn't be telling you it's your fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Yeah... That's not a particularly customer friendly attitude by ops. Are they overworked like 90%+ of ops teams out there by chance?

First steps for ELB inconsistencies outside prod is to go down to a single instance and treat it as a reverse proxy. Then set ELB timeouts to something low like 5 seconds or below and see if you start seeing problems (you probably will if using http keepalive settings on your application's http server). If you're sending n requests and m requests show up in the logs, you have a smoking gun that the ELB has dropped requests to the application as well. Also, note that the ELB itself sends health checks to the instance and if that check is mutative at all it can impact your application. Same goes for ASG health checks.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

geeves posted:

I'm saying that the recruiter implying that only being able to claim knowledge you gain in a work setting being valuable is laughable.

So you have to come correct. If you go home at night and tinker and write (for example) a wordpress competitor with Elixir/Phoenix and Clojure that's really solid, that's all in your favor. You've done enough with them that you can speak intelligently about them. I would't hesitate for a second to list a side project on my resume with something that I wanted to do or enjoyed using.

Working with Rails/Ruby and JS in an enterprise setting gives you the experience for how to develop in an enterprise setting with a team. Language starts to become arbitrary.

In the end, either you know something or you don't. It's all part of the game.

I know that, it's just...I don't code much on my own, you know? If I have a problem that can be solved with code, there's an existing solution that's better than anything I can do. If there's something where code isn't a good way to fix it, there's no point. The most I tend to do these days is follow along with books with long running projects, ala Elixir in Action. I feel like personal projects are an entire half of one's career for some reason, and the demand to see engineers with significant, conference-worthy projects is higher than I expected. (I actually once had a company ask me to put something together to eventually present to a conference as part of a technical screen, it was weird.)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Assembly at least has the excuse of a few video games made of it.

My eyes nearly rolled out of my skull when I read that.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Jo posted:

For the past year or so we've been moving away from Postgres to Solr, a change which I was rather opposed to. It has turned out... okay. More and more, though, our application feels like it's built upon twigs.

No kidding. Using a search index as a data store? :psyduck:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

CPColin posted:

Fulltext queries of everything for free*!

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

I don't really get why Ruby/Rails has such a bad reputation around here. From what I've seen of discussion here, I'm supposed to avoid it, but I don't see a major difference between it and other MVC frameworks.

My thoughts, having spent the last 4 years or so working with a combination of a (now ~8 year old) Rails monolith and a bunch of Scala services:

Rails is not "dead", as far as I can tell, based on the number of recruiters I get hounding me about Rails jobs. It is not the next hot new thing, and it might not be growing, but it is definitely not dead.

The main issue with it from my perspective has already been mentioned: in a large project, the tools, idioms, and features make it very easy to build a very hard to maintain and debug monolithic application. Their thing, "convention over configuration?" When initially writing a new app, I suppose it must be nice, but when working with a large existing application it becomes "magic over clarity." There are signs that some of the Rails community has learned from this, but I'm not totally convinced.

One problem I see frequently with it, at least compared with my Scala work (and this may not be an issue all that broadly) is that the concurrency primitives are not great; for a smaller CRUD app this may be fine, but for our larger application that might issue queries to a few different databases and send requests to a number of internal and external services to serve a single page, it is rough.

Finally, I much prefer working with a language with a type system like Scala, but I'll grant personal preference there to a extent.

I could go on, but I don't have time at the moment. In short: I despise it and do all that I can to pare down our monolith and make it easier to work with, and would prefer not to take another job working with Rails. But I don't think it is at all crazy in the short term for people to continue working with it.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

We're using Elasticsearch as our sole datastore and then ended up setting everything up with basically no analyzers anyways because we never use text search and only do exact and wildcard queries :v:

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

CPColin posted:

It works well for us in one of our applications since while there are many items to search upon, the data has no worries of enforcing tradition database operations. I don't have to worry about the extra red tape around here to get things done in Oracle. Being 10x or more times faster than a sister team who is using an oracle database to pull the same data is just icing on the cake.

I think it really depends on the type of data you have. I certainly wouldn't use solr for our apps where I require both relational and transactional updates to occur.

HFX fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 30, 2017

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Elasticsearch not being a database is only true in the sense that it's a marketing decision. The same might be true of Solr, I don't know anything about it, but there's no reason why a search index would be a distinct piece of software from a database.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

sarehu posted:

Elasticsearch not being a database is only true in the sense that it's a marketing decision. The same might be true of Solr, I don't know anything about it, but there's no reason why a search index would be a distinct piece of software from a database.

There are some guarantees made by a traditional database that are not made by Solr. ACID to BASE, if memory serves. Atomicity, concurrence, isolation, durability. While Solr favors Basically Available, Soft-state, Eventual consistency.

SuddenExpire
Jun 29, 2005

expired...

sarehu posted:

This article brings up some pretty good points https://aphyr.com/posts/323-call-me-maybe-elasticsearch-1-5-0, a bit old but the most recent comments links an open issue on Github where nodes can diverge. I would rather have a ACID compliant database then a possibility of a 'rare' occurrence per https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/ela..._status_ongoing. Hopefully it can be resolved in 6.X.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
ACID isn't applicable if you don't have transactions. You've just got the D to worry about.

SuddenExpire
Jun 29, 2005

expired...
Story of my life.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

SuddenExpire posted:

This article brings up some pretty good points https://aphyr.com/posts/323-call-me-maybe-elasticsearch-1-5-0, a bit old but the most recent comments links an open issue on Github where nodes can diverge. I would rather have a ACID compliant database then a possibility of a 'rare' occurrence per https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/ela..._status_ongoing. Hopefully it can be resolved in 6.X.

I love aphyr.com. When I started learning NoSQL databases I devoured everything in their blog.

"In this post, we’ll see MongoDB drop a phenomenal amount of data" still makes me laugh.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

whining about my new manager :words:
I sat down with the boss for probably 1.5 hours the other day and went through the main problems: sprints with no clear mission, no requirements until it's way too late, idiot technician on the team is driving people crazy, etc.

I'd say it was a somewhat productive conversation. She seemed happy that I was giving frank opinions while trying to tread carefully and not attack her or other team members. But about the only productive takeaway was that she'll try to give each sprint a clear purpose.

I realized that I have been out of college for like, 11 years now, and only within the past 2-3 years have I reached the point where I can discuss this kind of stuff and not have my blood pressure immediately go through the roof and want to go ballistic on them. I can calmly and firmly say "no, you are wrong about <blah>, that is why <thing I just mentioned> is so important".

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

lifg posted:

I love aphyr.com. When I started learning NoSQL databases I devoured everything in their blog.

"In this post, we’ll see MongoDB drop a phenomenal amount of data" still makes me laugh.

Ha ha ha

Typing the technical interview posted:

“Ah, well, um. Yes, you’re probably right.” He sounds bashful. “But I’d like to do a little exercise with you nonetheless. Just a simple programming puzzle, so I can understand how you solve problems.”

Once, you solved a problem with a knife of shattered sky-glass. You wonder whether Criss would have the strength to do what you have done.

“Sooo… this problem is called N-Queens, and it’s fairly simple. Given an NxN chessboard, you need to find a way to place N queens on that board safely.”

You draw an eight-by-eight grid on the whiteboard, and neatly arrange eight queens together in the center. They face each other in a tight circle, to converse as equals.

“Er, no—that’s not right. See? This queen could kill any of these four, in one move.”

“Are you really unable,” you ask, voice as calm as stone, “to imagine eight powerful women in the same room without them trying to kill each other?”

“It’s… it’s just how the problem works.”

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

sarehu posted:

ACID isn't applicable if you don't have transactions. You've just got the D to worry about.

Depending on how you're using it, and what definition you're operating under, you may have to worry about C. For example, if I recall correctly, with Elasticsearch, read after write consistency: if you write a document, it should be available in the document store right away but won't necessarily be indexed fully yet. There's a configurable flush interval, not sure what the default is but I think it is several seconds at least.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Oh, I guess I was taking C for granted. Fail!

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

HFX posted:

It works well for us in one of our applications since while there are many items to search upon, the data has no worries of enforcing tradition database operations. I don't have to worry about the extra red tape around here to get things done in Oracle. Being 10x or more times faster than a sister team who is using an oracle database to pull the same data is just icing on the cake.

I think it really depends on the type of data you have. I certainly wouldn't use solr for our apps where I require both relational and transactional updates to occur.

"sure, this food is great, it's better than surstromming"

"sure, this clothing is great, it's better than sackcloth and ashes"

"sure, this president is great, he's better than george w bush"

"sure, this economy is great, it's better than 1930s germany"

"sure, this db is great, it's better than oracle"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

lifg posted:

If you look up his Twitter profile just be aware ahead of time that about 60-70% of it is pictures of his rear end. It's not, like, morally offensive or anything, but maybe avoid his feed at work.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

If you look up his Twitter profile just be aware ahead of time that about 60-70% of it is pictures of his rear end. It's not, like, morally offensive or anything, but maybe avoid his feed at work.

The leather daddy aspect is the best part if your coworkers aren't down then quit imo

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Vulture Culture posted:

Looks like he spent his weekend trying to write Peter Watts vampire slashfic lmao

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I just got this:

quote:

Hope you are having a great day !
I am working with the Alexa team here at Amazon, Seattle. We are looking for strong Software Developer referrals for our offices in Seattle, Sunnyvale, Santa Cruz, Cambridge, Boston, AND Toronto.
We are looking for Senior Software Developers with 6 or more years of industry experience in full life cycle Software development. Please find a brief description on the roles as below:
Basic Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field
• 6+ years of industry experience writing production code of increasing complexity
• Strong understanding of computer science fundamentals, including algorithms, complexity analysis, data structures, problem solving, and object-oriented analysis and design
• Proficiency in at least one of the following: Java, C, C++, C#, Ruby, Python
• Experience refactoring code and evolving architectures
• Master’s degree in computer science or a related field
• Experience applying service-oriented architecture techniques to production use cases

We will be doing an "invite only" interview event on 13th & 14th July in Seattle(if shortlisted logistics will be arranged) and if you know of any one in your network, interested in being considered for this, please feel free to share these details and ask them to share their resume to me as soon as possible.
I look forward to hearing from you soon!
Regards,

from an amazon recruiter. Note that I don't work for Amazon, and apparently they're not interested in hiring me (I asked, based on this message). This seems unethical, basically cold-calling people to act as recruiters for them, with no incentive. I haven't seen this kind of thing before.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Refer yourself to them :drum:

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So the solution to the massive brain drain we have been suffering and an extremely bad and universally hated self proclaimed architect and "Lead Over All Things Web" is to force the few remaining tech leads we have to a mandatory visit to an Escape Room with that shitheel.
:lol:

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

They will leave him trapped in the room.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

They will place 1st in the hall of fame to escape him.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

a foolish pianist posted:

I just got this:

from an amazon recruiter. Note that I don't work for Amazon, and apparently they're not interested in hiring me (I asked, based on this message). This seems unethical, basically cold-calling people to act as recruiters for them, with no incentive. I haven't seen this kind of thing before.

Ask for a referral bonus.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gildiss posted:

Escape Room

This sounds completely unfun even without involving weird workplace poo poo

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Gildiss posted:

So the solution to the massive brain drain we have been suffering and an extremely bad and universally hated self proclaimed architect and "Lead Over All Things Web" is to force the few remaining tech leads we have to a mandatory visit to an Escape Room with that shitheel.

Just all conspire to confound the escape and make him think he's failing. Hopefully he explodes and yells at everyone and you can then get him fired as a raving lunatic.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

a foolish pianist posted:

But I bet they're not actually an Amazon recruiter, right? They're some 3rd party who's going to get the referral bonus for every body they bring to the recruiting event.

I have asked recruiters about a referral before and they offered $3-6k immediately. :shrug:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

rt4 posted:

This sounds completely unfun even without involving weird workplace poo poo

If you and your friends are of a particular mindset the good ones are a blast.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
escape rooms are fun as long as you aren't competing against another team, because there is a 70% chance they are escape room fanatics and you will feel like an idiot

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

escape rooms are fun as long as you aren't competing against another team, because there is a 70% chance they are escape room fanatics and you will feel like an idiot
I played enough point-and-click adventure games as a kid where the first time I did one of these things, I just pulled all the books off the bookshelf and started thumbing through them for papers stuffed inside. I think we skipped like a solid 1/3 of the thing as a result

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Escape rooms are murder mystery dinner theatre for millennials

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.

Vulture Culture posted:

I played enough point-and-click adventure games as a kid where the first time I did one of these things, I just pulled all the books off the bookshelf and started thumbing through them for papers stuffed inside. I think we skipped like a solid 1/3 of the thing as a result

I had a similar experience when I went to one. My Sierra game PTSD took over and my instinct to pick up everything that wasn't nailed down, look underneath/behind everything, etc, kicked in. The proctor/GM's costume had a conspicuous piece of flair which I noticed about 30 seconds in and asked him if I could hold on to it (since anything that looks obviously out of place has to be important somehow according to game design logic). He smirked and said he'd give it to me if I could tell him what, specifically, I needed it for in the room, which I thought was fair play -- but noticing it made one of the main puzzles trivial later on.

e: doing ones with workmates sounds horrible, though

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Escape rooms would be a lot more fun if American culture wasn't so insanely competitive.

Like drat it, just let me figure it out, don't compare me to everybody else that's ever tried to escape.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Escape rooms would be a lot more fun if American culture wasn't so insanely competitive.

Like drat it, just let me figure it out, don't compare me to everybody else that's ever tried to escape.

I dislike being told up front what percentage of teams successfully escape or what the best time is.

You will know what the best time is after we're done. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

How else are they supposed to determine how much to pay you/whether to fire you or the other guy? :shepface:

I have a 6-mo checkin with the person who used to be my manager today. This should be fun.