Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

-Blackadder- posted:

Well that was a fun sale, got a lot of stuff.

How'd everyone else do?

I have too goddamn many games already and I've grown picky, so it was the quietest sale for me in a while. Not to say the sales weren't good, but I already have everything.

Hitman, The Sexy Brutale, StarCrawlers and Hollow Knight have been a lot of fun so far.

Have I... have I beat Steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

-Blackadder- posted:

How'd everyone else do?

Had fun riding the gift train like five times and also picked up Hitman and a few other things I've been wanting to check out. Gift train handled most everything else and I'm set until Prey drops to like $15 or something.

edit: Like I'll probably want to pick up the necrodancer dlc, dead cells, maybe brigador, and maybe the sexy brutale too at some point but think I'm good for awhile.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The wishlist is empty. Well, someone's mentioned Card Quest, so I'm keeping tabs on that one come next sale, but otherwise it's empty.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I was just going to pick up like 6 little indie games for $10 but then I threw Dead Cells on top of the pile and I think I'm just going to play that for eternity.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I spent almost exactly $100, which was a bit less than average just because I have a bunch of stuff already... but I'm super happy with my haul this year.

I tried to actually get things I think I'll play as opposed to just good deals, so I went pretty heavy on roguelikes and RPGs. I'm not going to bore you all with my full haul list, but I was really pleasantly surprised by both Steamworld Heist and Sproggiwood, which are actually still on sale on the humble site. I bought a bunch of triple A stuff and then spent most of the weekend on those 2.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I entirely skipped last Winter Sale, and Summer 2016 I limited myself to titles I wanted to play RIGHT NOW, and it worked out well so I did the same this year. I picked up:

Broforce
Brothers (gifted, beat)
Guacamelee (gifted, beat)
Juarez Gunslinger
Hollow Knight
Talos Principle
Undertale (gifted)

I found I missed a game I got last Summer, Mirror's Edge (gifted), so I'm finishing that up before tackling Gunslinger next.

Good sale, all in all. At some point soon I'll catalog all my old sale purchases and present them to the steam thread to get an idea of what's actually worth playing or not. Some of them are so old that newer games have come out that are mechanically better, so they might not be worth attempting. For example, Dead Island 1 I understand is usurped entirely by Dying Light.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gift train sucked, sale sucked, gently caress you gaben :/

Let's hope they come up with a smarter way to battle third party sites and lift some of the restrictions before the Winter sale :(

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Too Shy Guy posted:

I was just going to pick up like 6 little indie games for $10 but then I threw Dead Cells on top of the pile and I think I'm just going to play that for eternity.

Good choice. I have to plow through all the other metroidvanias and platfomers though before I can okay myself buying Dead Cells. Stuff like Hollow Knight, Owl Boy, Axiom Verge, Momodora 4/whatever the latest one is, possibly Grow Up, some Shantae games, etc.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Skipped the sale. Maybe winter.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
StarCrawlers was the big surprise for me. Very good purchase. If dungeon crawlers are your jam, this is a solid buy.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
barely an hour into devil daggers and i already topped my friend leaderboards at 190 seconds. need better friends

oh well, gotta shoot for that 500 second achievement i guess

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I got:

Hyper Light Drifter
Sunless Sea
Transformers: Devestation
Antichamber
Endless Legend: Shifters and Tempest

I also bought and refunded Hand of Fate and got a few gifts for people, and was gifted Stardew Valley. All told a really good sale for me. Hyper Light Drifter is my favourite but they're all fun, and different.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Blattdorf posted:

The wishlist is empty. Well, someone's mentioned Card Quest, so I'm keeping tabs on that one come next sale, but otherwise it's empty.

To be fair, I add stuff to my wishlist or follow EA games to avoid going to the store.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Got portal 2 for $1.2

That's it!

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

-Blackadder- posted:

Aaaand it's done.

How'd everyone else do?
I spent a ridiculous amount of money and reached one hundred games owned (nearly double what it was before), but in my defense, this is the first sale that hasn't completely passed me by (I have a bad habit of buying games at full price only to realise that I could have bought them at a significant discount mere days later). I figure that these will keep me occupied for a while now; I've had my eye on most of them for some time.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

They made gifting basically impossible now, right? The sale ended as I was trying to check out with Gemcraft and King of Dragon Pass :smith:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kiranamos posted:

They made gifting basically impossible now, right? The sale ended as I was trying to check out with Gemcraft and King of Dragon Pass :smith:

You can't store gifts any more. You can send them right away though.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Gave myself a reality check on my backlog between my Steam catalog and PS4 and went with just Thumper and Hollow Knight. Hopefully I can get through MGS V and Witcher 3 before the winter sale.

kender
Dec 15, 2000
Forum Veteran
$50.00 budget/gift card stuck to.

Lisa was refunded, I wasn't into the combat at all, and it was feeling too bleak for me to play at this point.

So I went with
To The Moon
Rakuen
Ori and the Blind Forest (My god is this gorgeous, but gently caress me some of the platforming is *mean*)
Dishonored 2
Hollow Knight (let's be on the indie bandwagon early)
Thomas Was Alone (see how behind I am on the indie bandwagon?)

Wrapped up the summer cards and stickers, sold a few bucks worth of cards, but sadly, was at .48 until the ending, so I couldn't badger a friend with Bad Rats. Maybe in the winter.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Sacred Cow posted:

Gave myself a reality check on my backlog between my Steam catalog and PS4 and went with just Thumper and Hollow Knight. Hopefully I can get through MGS V and Witcher 3 before the winter sale.

I picked up Hollow Knight as well and have been playing it, it's fun but it took a little bit to get into it. My only major annoyance is that there really should be save benches at or near a boss fight; I've had a hell of a time at a boss in the mines and the run back has been super annoying. I thought castlevania/metroid always had save spots near bosses but it's been awhile since I've played one.

I did not give myself a reality check and panic bought FFX/X-2 Remaster this morning. Never played it but I have enough to get me to the winter sale and beyond, I might give it a go and see if it grabs me within the refund window

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Ended up picking up Darkest Dungeon. Can I still get that file ?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
THE DAMAGE

Sold off a chunk of my now-redundant 360 and PS3 collection at the Pawnstop, so the financial hit wasn't too hard. Somehow I got $35+ for three Valve games. I guess they'd know their game values, but...

Purchases:

FaceRig Live 2D Module: Took a poo poo-ton of work to get FaceRig functioning before I bought this, but one day it suddenly just worked. Now I can be a hideous anime abomination, life is alright.
Life is Strange: I had downloaded the 1st part last sale with the intent to try it out. Tried it out, liked it, dropped the $5 for the rest.
Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator: There are a lot of great games but nothin's cooler than this. You have to be able to still tolerate the obtuse quirks of fighting games, though.
Pinball FX2 - Bethesda Pinball: Doom makes for a great pinball table. Skyrim and Fallout mostly continue FX2's flirtation with RPG-themed pinball... the Epic Quest table still does it better, though.
Kickbeat: It was $2 and I figured it was worth a whirl with how much I like Pinball FX2. I'm not sure the visualization for this rhythm game is more than just a distraction from the actual gameplay, tho.
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core: Figured I may as well round out my Guilty Gear set with one of the best games with the worst names!
Battle Fantasia Revised Edition: Sold off my 360 version and it paid for itself. Weird fighting game, but worth another look at, probably...?
Under Night In-Birth: Liked it on the PS3, hopefully I'll have the time to sit down and duel some goons on this one. I like really approachable fighting games and this is one of the few.
Resident Evil Revelations 2: Had the first part of this sitting around for ages from Humble Bundle and snubbed it, tried it out and hey, I wanna play the rest now. Mainly an inoculation against RE7 purchases.
Transformers: Devastation: Liking the use of transforming and the Platinum combo flow, not liking random equipment drops and exceedingly samey city environs. Pitch-perfect cartoon emulation.
Fairy Fencer F DLC: ... well, figured I should get it while it was cheap to avoid future regrets. Right now? Only present regrets, thanks.

Freebies:

Facerig Free DLC: Pyro is the best face for this. Very easy on the processor.
Final Fantasy XIV Free Trial: Realized it's "cheaper" to faff about with the free trial than actually buy this during the sale, but I'll be poking at it. Standard MMO jazz played really well.
Lawbreakers - Rise Up Beta: Played three rounds and uninstalled, decided it was a multiplayer shooter that focused on precisely the wrong stuff. Amazingly ugly for the amount of graphical detail.
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor - Test of Power: Free DLC junk.

Gifts:

A big :siren: THANKS :siren: for all the gifts, whether it was on the Train or off!

Gemcraft - Chasing Shadows (from Zetsubou-san): I haven't tried this yet, but I have a friend who swears by it and has put in countless hours, so he'll be happy to see me dip in.
Fairy Fencer F (from Zetsubou-san): The Hyperdimension Neptunia games are dumb fun, but will they be as fun without all of the low-tier video game humor? I'll have to find out!... once I finish Neptunia, anyway.
The Dweller (from Zetsubou-san): Cheapass monster puzzling. I've wanted more games where you play some unapologetic monster. You pretty much are in most video games, but it's usually not unapologetic.
Company of Heroes (from jukkaz): Steamgifts pull. Guess I get to see what Relic did when they weren't doing youtube poop-worthy space marine speeches. 10 year anniversary entry in a series I've never played!
Wayout 2: Hex (from kater): I owned the first Wayout game. Now I own two!
SuperHOT (from kater): The game is a really fun and addictive gimmick and is everything great people have raved about. The completely obnoxious "story" can go poo poo itself to death, though.
Forced (from kater): I can't imagine the multi for this isn't dead with the sequel out, but I had a friend who really liked this, so maybe...?
Guilty Gear 2: Overture (from Sir Phoebos): This is gonna be weird and janky but I want to experience the important lore about a two swordguys and a very tall baby.
Inside (from Sklurb): Just started this out, looks to be another enjoyable and affecting trip through the misery of a child once again.
Duskers (from Sklurb): I was really curious about this one as an abstract horror piece, but I feel like I need to enter it with a clear head.
Cyber City 2157 (from NettleSoup): A pull from the WHEEL OF TRASH. When you see noted trash dumpster publisher Sometimes You, you know you're in for a treat, but this looks... surprisingly alright?

Ever since I set up my game budget, Steam Sales have often been wet blankets for me where I don't buy anything, but for some reason I went in deep. I guess I had a lot of pent-up consumer whoring to do, but it could have been a lot worse.

... I've now hit over 1000 games, though, I could be proper hosed. Never played all this in one lifetime, but I just have to remind myself that I don't have to finish a game to enjoy it.

I don't have to finish a game to enjoy it. :negative:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Had ~60 bucks leftover from some gift cards I got from work a couple months ago that I had been saving specifically for this, so I ended up getting:

Dishonoured 2 - Finished it. I liked it but the experience was somewhat soured by some really weird lag/control issues, which I'm still not sure if they were caused by the game or my system. We'll see how high chaos run goes I guess.
Rise of the Tomb Raider - This game is fantastic and I'm having a blast; I'm playing on Survivor and every bit of loot counts so I'm taking my sweet time and exploring every nook and cranny.
Final Fantasy 14 Online - Starter Edition - Had to make a bad decision at some point.

Goon bro Ragequit gifted me Hollow Knight and I couldn't revenge gift him anything because Steam hates my region. Sort gifting out, Gaben.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
This is the first steam sale I've skipped in five and a half years, for many reasons, but there's just nothing exciting about it anymore.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

If we're actually posting what we got I guess I can do a low effort version of that.

Spent: Roughly $230.

Bought for myself:

Hitman 2016
Detention
Stronghold Crusader HD
Kindred Spirits on the Roof
OneShot
Subnautica

Gifts Sent out

Dawn of War 1 Master Collection & Dragon's dogma (gift train 1)
Hollow Knight, You Must Build a Boat, & MGR: Revengeance (gift train 2)
Dishonored 2 (gift train 3)
The Consuming Shadow & Wuppo (gift train 4)
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (gift train 5)
Disgaea 1 and 2 PC (Gifted to a friend)
Ittle Dew 2 (Gifted to a different friend)

Gifts Received:

Tales of Berseria (Gift from a friend)
Inside & Event[0] (Gift Train 1)
Owlboy, Slime-San, & Hollow Knight (Gift Train 2)
Tyranny (Gift Train 3)
Way of the Samurai 4 (Gift Train 4)
Westerado: Double Barreled, Wuppo, Dungeon Warfare, & The House in Fata Morganna Deluxe (Gift Train 5)

$30 wasted on a very dumb thing:

Two GMG lootboxes, one at 30 games, one at 10 games. I was a fool. Threw the keys out to anyone who wanted them on the internet somewhere. Don't really remember where.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

I didn't go crazy this time, tried to keep the damage down to what I'd play over the next 6 months or so. Got some stuff I've been meaning to pick up.

Wolfenstein: TNO - Beat it already, loved it
Mad Max - Played this all weekend, love it
Shadow of Mordor - Haven't played this yet, but I think I will enjoy it
Hollow Knight - Haven't touched it yet
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - Haven't touched it yet but this looks cool
HITMAN Season 1 - Blood Money was my favorite in the series and I heard this compared favorably. Looking forward to it!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
First time I bought a game and started playing it during the sale. I must be really bored.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Almost ready to return a bunch of the games I bought because almost none of them work properly at my resolution. Sigh.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

Almost ready to return a bunch of the games I bought because almost none of them work properly at my resolution. Sigh.

21:9?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The resolution to play fewer games.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

... I've now hit over 1000 games, though, I could be proper hosed.

adorable

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
This time I spent a bit more than usually as it was my birthday & I had just finished a bigger work thing. Still it was around 30 euros.

As usual,bought a bunch of indie roguelikes and -lites: Low Magic Age, Deathstate, Golden Krone Hotel, We Slay Monsters, Conquest of Elysium 4. CoE4 and Deathstate are my favs so far. Also got A House of Many Doors, a fun arcade game Carrie's Order's Up and Little King's Story

Would've spent more and gotten Regalia as my bigger purchase + Stellaris DLC Leviathans, but I forgot the sale is ending today, and was still grinding some cards...

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I bought and played Dishonored 2 and Gone Home. Got Hyper Light Drifter too, but I can't play that without a controller, so I suppose I'll buy one of those too.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Basically.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I bought three games and played one a bit and then spent another 10 hours playing Skyrim.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Yeah, I had 21:9 and found the amount of fiddling required to make it work just wasn't worth the effort, and went back to a 16:9 1440P display.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

gmq posted:

I bought three two games and played one a bit and refunded another then spent another 10 40 hours playing Skyrim.

fixed for me.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

-Blackadder- posted:

How'd everyone else do?
I thought it would include the full day of July 5th as a part of the sale so my cart of 5 games went unbought and I got 1 game, Clandestine, for 5 bucks. Oh well!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I bought Brigador, Life is Strange, Necrodancer, and Project Highrise, but I refunded the last after about an hour. Then,

gmq posted:

I bought three games and played one a bit and then spent another 10 hours playing Skyrim.

e; Oh and I picked up the Endless Legend DLC I had been missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i stuck with only buying pillars of eternity+dlc and witcher 2. i have played pillars for like 24 hours now according to steam so i think that was an ok purchase

• Locked thread