Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

logikv9 posted:

we're going to retroactively apply 2016 to most things, like how we should've run a better candidate with a stronger leftist message than *flips through list* mondale

Jesse also woulda won that time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The only thing I blame Nader at all for is perpetuating the myth that Bush and Gore were essentially the same person, and even that was something that Gore could have taken steps to refute.

Otherwise I see Nader, and candidates like him, as more of a symptom that there are things out there that are important to voters that neither mainstream candidate is really addressing.

For 2016, I don't believe that Bernie was a spoiler for the election at all (he absolutely could have been, but he worked hard not to be), but he did fill the same niche as a voice for people who didn't feel they were represented at all among the two major candidates.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

docbeard posted:

Honestly, our voting infrastructure is complete poo poo, and has been for decades, and basically no one with the ability to do so wants to tackle it.

republicans: "make voting harder because of stupid reason, actually do it while in power because it benefits us"
democrats: "make voting easier because of good reason, but hem and haw when actually we're in power even though it benefits us"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

logikv9 posted:

I imagine Twitter to be a huge suck zone but instead of anonymous posters shitposting we have anonymous users tweeting among thousands of actual IRL famous people who are easily as drawn into arguments as any SA thread

I repeat my claim that Twitter, and I daresay the world, was a mistake

Twitter is a leveling social force, and you fear it because it threatens your sense of superiority. :ussr:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

*2020 presidential debates*

Zuck: Four years ago, President Trump, you promised to make anime real. But look around -- anime is not real. The American people know this.

Trump: Whaaaaaaaa!?!!@?!

Donald Trump will turn America into a real-life Kill La Kill by 2020.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Twitter is a leveling social force, and you fear it because it threatens your sense of superiority. :ussr:

I admit that Twitter has been incredibly amazing in that these famous to semifamous people honestly largely interact with the rest of the userbase, as long as that account isn't run by an intern ofc

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dukakis was a bad candidate
HW Bush was a bad candidate who ran out of Ronnie coattails after one bad term
Dole was a bad candidate
Gore was a bad candidate
Kerry was basically THE bad candidate
McCain was a bad candidate because he won his nomination at a really bad time to be The War Guy and didn't know how to pivot correctly from that
Romney was Bizarro Kerry: The Bad Candidate
HRC was The Hubris Candidate (which is bad)

Sticking to every one of these :colbert:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/TheoKeith/status/882653589134553091

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I wasn't around for the 80s elections but didn't Mondale focus heavily on deficit reduction

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

etalian posted:

More states should have mail in voting like California

I'm not even talking about stuff like that (though I 100% agree; Minnesota has this too, and it owns). I'm thinking more of the operational side of how votes are collected and counted. You don't have to go all conspiracy theory about Russia (or Diebold) to realize that fifty separate ill-funded ill-maintained systems that were probably all built by the lowest builder and are being maintained by some unpaid intern is just a recipe for disaster.

I'm more worried about WHOOPS THE UNSECURED ACCESS DATABASE WE STORED EVERYONE'S VOTES ON JUST poo poo THE BED AND OUR NIGHTLY BACKUPS HAVEN'T BEEN WORKING SINCE 2005 than nefarious hackers changing votes, really.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
(In his campaign I mean. I know he was a left wing hero as a legislator)

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

comedyblissoption posted:

single payer is already a mainstream opinion supported by a majority of the country and overwhelmingly popular with self-identified democratic party voters

it's just not supported by the donors

imagine if someone runs based on polling what people want and not having to run it all by the donors first

Hmm, maybe someone who has a lot of liquid assets...

That's more Philly than soft pretzels

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

I wasn't around for the 80s elections but didn't Mondale focus heavily on deficit reduction

I started with Dukakis because I know fuckall about Mondale

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Donald Trump will turn America into a real-life Kill La Kill by 2020.

gently caress yeah I'm on the maga train now

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/fart/status/882663835722694656

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

docbeard posted:

The only thing I blame Nader at all for is perpetuating the myth that Bush and Gore were essentially the same person, and even that was something that Gore could have taken steps to refute.

So you've learned nothing?

Gore literally ran on "more of the same" plus balancing the budget. Of course he freaking lost and was compared to a Republican.

Also lol that Donna Brazile was his campaign manager.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

On the contrary, this was the moment that Dread Abuela became president

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

:siren:STOP LETTING NERDS RUN FOR OFFICE:siren:

Reagan, Bill Clinton, Dubya, Obama
all cool dudes

america doesnt want some dork leading them

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

all cool dudes

HW was also a nerd, he was just less nerdy than Dukakis

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Frijolero posted:

So you've learned nothing?

I learned that "neither of these people are good enough" is not the same thing as "these people are exactly as bad as each other".

I may have been the only one, though.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
oh my god

enhance

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

anime was right posted:

zuckerberg trolling the dem establishment is hilarious, imo

i still think hes gonna run as an independent tho idk

bloomberg/zuckerberg 2020

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Man Musk posted:

bloomberg/zuckerberg 2020

zuck/bloom/berg 2020

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Concerned Citizen posted:

oh my god

enhance

death is certain

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

logikv9 posted:

Didn't gore run away from bill, despite bill being extremely popular thanks to the republicans

Yes, which is why he picked Lieberman as his running mate also; Lieberman had been touted as the adult in the Democratic Party that tried to pressure Bill to resign.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

So how many of these are you going to buy to plaster all over your car?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

all cool dudes

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

This is the entire Third Way ideology.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

oh my god

enhance

the funniest part of this is that that sticker is actually the best of the available choices

which itself is allegorical for the democrats themselves

a rich multilayered narrative

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Can I get a lawn sign of that for next year or is it $25+S&H?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

loquacius posted:

the funniest part of this is that that sticker is actually the best of the available choices

which itself is allegorical for the democrats themselves

a rich multilayered narrative

Wow yeah, I didn't notice how terrible the other ones were.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This is the entire Third Way ideology.

Democrats: We promise not to gently caress you too badly.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
This is why we should GPL all systems used for voting in official government elections.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

oh my god

enhance

why is the dccc still promoting hillary? this couldn't have anything to do with who they choose to support with their money. oh no. not at all.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

anime was right posted:

why is the dccc still promoting hillary? this couldn't have anything to do with who they choose to support with their money. oh no. not at all.

where is hillary

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

loquacius posted:

HW was also a nerd, he was just less nerdy than Dukakis

he got some of that runoff coolness from reagan, but it quickly wore away. al gore was too stupid to do the same with clinton

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

what's your opinion on the usefulness of stickers, CC

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

where is hillary

you can figure this one out dude, i believe in you.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Oh Snapple! posted:

what's your opinion on the usefulness of stickers, CC

they have the same use as all other campaign chum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar