Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

FiestaNinja posted:

The post I quoted (which wasn't even you)

If you don't want anyone except the person you directly quoted to be allowed to reply, we have PMs for that.

Zuul and I were discussing successor chapters. We weren't talking to you, but you replied anyway because that is how a forum works, the discussion is open to everyone. Neither of us said space marines were starved for options, just discussing the implications of the keyword system and how it could impact successor chapters. An example is the character Vaylund Cal, who in 6th edition just used the generic Iron Hands chapter tactics but now has his own successor chapter keyword so wouldn't be able to be fielded in an Iron Hands force with their chapter tactics most likely.

I question if people running successor chapters will be forced to use the keyword of their founding legion, or what. Like if you're running a Novamarines force if you have to still be Ultramarines to have chapter tactics, in effect having to call yourself an Ultramarine force and just having a different paint scheme. Some people won't mind that, some will.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If space corgis get rules before sisters i won't be surprised.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Those are pretty good guesses, and I hope that's the case.

The only exception I could see to this (that isn't another non-codex Marine chapter being pushed instead of a faction that isn't wearing power armor) is maybe one of those six being subbed out for AdMech, with how much importance they've been getting in the fluff. Potentially Dark Eldar too, but they've historically had to wait their turn for a long time so I don't see them cutting ahead of the six I mentioned.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

LingcodKilla posted:

If space corgis get rules before sisters i won't be surprised.

Considering how the imperium index is laid out sisters seem to perpetually remain trapped in the imperial agents codex.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Are Index Sisters in bad shape? How good/bad is that army right now, and what changes would an exclusive Codex be expected to bring them?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Are Index Sisters in bad shape? How good/bad is that army right now, and what changes would an exclusive Codex be expected to bring them?

The main thing I've seen is people complaining sisters need more HQs. Can definitely agree with that, just like how admech has to spam techpriest dominuses for their detachments. Sisters at least have the option of using inquisitors or something to go along with them.

The detachment system works great for big established armies like space marines and eldar, but smaller ones like sisters and admech suffer from it.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 5, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Sisters are in a loving terrible state if only because all their models are ancient, internet-only, and cost a fortune. They also have very few options for units overall.

The only real way to play them is to ally Imperial.

If you're willing to suffer through that they're not terrible? :shrug:

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
Space marines have a lot of loving options, I would rather they put more time in to other factions.

Here's a picture of something for the rest of the thread:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

FiestaNinja posted:

Space marines have a lot of loving options, I would rather they put more time in to other factions.

Here's a picture of something for the rest of the thread:

Who are these guys, inquisition? I like the fire effects.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

Regimental Standard still hitting it out of the park https://regimental-standard.com/2017/07/05/enriching-activities-for-idle-hands/

Hydra Dominatus

Oh, it's all good and fun until someone accidentally finds a Daemon's true name.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

I meant more that if you're playing Death Guard, you'd need both books.

That actually depends, because if there is "death guard only" faction stuff like stratagems and such (Which there is) that you want to use, you might be OK with just that book. You only need the main chaos book if you want to mix in Black Legion (or whatever you want to call your non-deathguard legion that is part of your army.)

EDIT: Actually I guess it depends on if the data sheets for cross stuff is duplicated between them but it kinda sounds like it is? We'll see.

Salynne fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 5, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

General Olloth posted:

That actually depends, because if there is "death guard only" faction stuff like stratagems and such (Which there is) that you want to use, you might be OK with just that book. You only need the main chaos book if you want to mix in Black Legion (or whatever you want to call your non-deathguard legion that is part of your army.)

Yeah, we might see the generic stuff like rhinos reprinted in the death guard book.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

chutche2 posted:

Yeah, we might see the generic stuff like rhinos reprinted in the death guard book.

Yeah dropped a line on the facebook post to see if we can get that cleared up. Seems possible since the points are separate. They could even cost stuff separate for different factions that way.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zark the Damned posted:

Regimental Standard still hitting it out of the park https://regimental-standard.com/2017/07/05/enriching-activities-for-idle-hands/

Hydra Dominatus

I saw that too - got a good laugh. Though I have to say, I assumed that none of the words would be in the puzzle (in an effort to keep the troops busy, of course.)

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

General Olloth posted:

Yeah dropped a line on the facebook post to see if we can get that cleared up. Seems possible since the points are separate. They could even cost stuff separate for different factions that way.

It also opens up the possibility for putting blight launchers on a death guard rhino if they have different datasheets, stuff like that.

Maybe one day we'll get a world eaters rhino with a buzzsaw on the front.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 5, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I saw that too - got a good laugh. Though I have to say, I assumed that none of the words would be in the puzzle (in an effort to keep the troops busy, of course.)

That's why you do it in pencil. You can erase it and do it again for endless fun!

Also, since everything from unique powers to unique goddamn objectives has been confirmed, now I can safely shift my hopes to "don't gently caress this up GW" and "better point system please."

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

FiestaNinja posted:

SM are about to get a codex of those things, it's a hard argument to make that they're starved for options. Even without even more variant rules for successors and so on.

Oh yeah, totally. I know they have the largest support out of all of the armies. It just makes me semi-regret going with a successor instead of one of the main chapters so I could use chapter-specific stuff.

I know it'd be nearly impossible for them to make a special rule/character/unit for every single chapter. I'm just greedy and want one for my Howling Griffons. :)

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
I'm crossing fingers for Blood Ravens chapter tactics as FW has the Gabe model coming out.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Don't worry about it. Having Howling Griffons lets you say, "Although they are an Ultramarines successor, they actually fight more like the Blood Angels."

I think it gives you more flexibility.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Maybe one day we'll get a world eaters rhino with a buzzsaw on the front.
We had that once. In the 3.5 book. :smith:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Safety Factor posted:

We had that once. In the 3.5 book. :smith:

Was that really a thing? That's amazing.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I play them, although I haven't played 8th yet.

The only things sisters have gained in the past eleven years are the new Celestine and the limited edition canoness.

GW did not even bother to give said canoness rules for 8th edition.

And allying in inquisition got a lot worse with the index too. you can't even power armour your inquisitors anymore, let alone your now massively increased in points acolytes.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Space Butler posted:

I play them, although I haven't played 8th yet.

The only things sisters have gained in the past eleven years are the new Celestine and the limited edition canoness.

GW did not even bother to give said canoness rules for 8th edition.

And allying in inquisition got a lot worse with the index too. you can't even power armour your inquisitors anymore, let alone your now massively increased in points acolytes.

Standard inquisitors do look kinda bad. Greyfax looks nice though.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Space Butler posted:

massively increased in points acolytes.

Uh, how much did they cost before? They cost 8 points now.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Was that really a thing? That's amazing.
Yup.

I don't know how good it actually was, but it was there and the book even had that example in it. Back when GW promoted conversions.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Xarlaxas posted:

Technically not legal, or, at least, disputable, as the rules say:

I sent the 40k Facebook page a message asking it using Warptime on Warp Talons that just came in through Warpflame Strike, and they said they'd check, no answer yet, and it wasn't in the first round of FAQs.

I'd argue *no* even though I'd love to do that with my crazy flying clawed demon marines. :v:

I'll be interested to hear what they say about that. I thought that it was that they couldn't move during their movement phase (mostly because most deep strike abilities say that they can deploy at the end of their movement phase) but Warptime allows them to move during psychic. Didn't see that it says that they can't move during the remainder of the turn.

Hummingbird James
Jan 3, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

Yup.

I don't know how good it actually was, but it was there and the book even had that example in it. Back when GW promoted conversions.

Just an FYI, destroyer blades were a thing in the last codex, still described as having whirring blades, and will probably be back in the next codex. They gave the tank D6 automatic S5 hits on any units it tank shocked, 2D6 if the unit being shocked decides to do Death or Glory. One of my favourite things to do was put it on a Rhino and give it the Legacy from IA:13 that gave destroyer blades an AP value equal to the tank's current hull points, so I'd just deposit a squad of dudes and then just start beep-beeping my way through dudes before it finally went down in flames.

Now to get me a Hellforged Predator so I can keep doing that in 8th ed.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (Imperium - Space Marines) [18 PL, 360pts] ++

+ Lord of War +

Roboute Guilliman [18 PL, 360pts]

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [85 PL, 1640pts] ++

+ HQ +

Captain Sicarius [7 PL, 132pts]

Sergeant Chronus [12 PL, 260pts]
. Predator: Twin lascannon, Two Lascannons

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [6 PL, 57pts]
. Scout: Boltgun
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Storm bolter

Scout Squad [6 PL, 57pts]
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Storm bolter

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 105pts]
. 3x Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Combi-melta, Power sword
. Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Meltagun

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 105pts]
. 3x Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Combi-melta, Power sword
. Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Meltagun

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 97pts]
. 3x Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Combi-plasma, Power sword
. Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

+ Heavy Support +

Devastator Squad [7 PL, 148pts]: Armorium Cherub
. Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Combi-plasma
. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Plasma cannon

Devastator Squad [7 PL, 169pts]: Armorium Cherub
. Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Combi-plasma
. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Grav-cannon and grav-amp

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5 PL, 102pts]: Storm bolter, Twin assault cannon

++ Total: [103 PL, 2000pts] ++

Basically my final list for an upcoming event. I am pretty happy with how it runs, although the one sticking point is Captain Sicarius. Has done good work in the matches I played as he really bolsters up those tactical Marines when they get in the thick of fighting, but that being said he is still a medium CC unit in an army that is primarily about mid-range shooting. I've gone back and fourth over replacing him but can't really decide.

I've considered dropping him and taking a techmarine(because they are the cheapest option) and then taking a Culexus as a counter to smite spam, but I've also considered taking Tigurius in his place as having a way to counter some psychic powers and having the ability to deal mortal wounds of my own.

A final option would be to actually take a Rhino Primaris as my 2nd HQ choice as it really fits in with the vehicle heavy theme, however at 170 points it means cutting a few more weapon options in addition to the Captain.

Overall, not really looking for a total list critique, but just what the best option is for a 2nd HQ.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hummingbird James posted:

Just an FYI, destroyer blades were a thing in the last codex, still described as having whirring blades, and will probably be back in the next codex. They gave the tank D6 automatic S5 hits on any units it tank shocked, 2D6 if the unit being shocked decides to do Death or Glory. One of my favourite things to do was put it on a Rhino and give it the Legacy from IA:13 that gave destroyer blades an AP value equal to the tank's current hull points, so I'd just deposit a squad of dudes and then just start beep-beeping my way through dudes before it finally went down in flames.

Now to get me a Hellforged Predator so I can keep doing that in 8th ed.
I completely forgot they were still around. :downs: I never got to play my CSM in 6th/7th and I always tend to keep my vehicles pretty trim so I hadn't even noticed.

That combo sounds pretty great though. I love the idea of the Galaxy's Meanest Rhino just driving around and murdering dudes with welded-on sawblades and poo poo.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 5, 2017

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Cutedge posted:

I'll be interested to hear what they say about that. I thought that it was that they couldn't move during their movement phase (mostly because most deep strike abilities say that they can deploy at the end of their movement phase) but Warptime allows them to move during psychic. Didn't see that it says that they can't move during the remainder of the turn.

Yeah, me too, I think the point that makes Warptime on deep-striking models illegal is that it says "cannot move or Advance further during the turn they arrive."

If it said phase then it would be clear cut that Warptime works. Right now, RAW, it appears that we can't.

I wish they would have had an example, or quick statement, making clear that command powers/psychic powers/random crap on a datasheet cannot override this rule.

The problem is that we have a case of "The Rulebook says X, but the Index says Y" and we aren't sure which takes precedence. Previously, it was always "Codex/Index/White Dwarf Supplement take precedence over Rulebook in rules disputes" but this is the fancy new edition where we can't assume anything based on previous interpretations. . . .

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Even in death I still serve

I love Dreadnoughts.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

I love Dreadnoughts.

I like to imagine him using that claw hand to delicately pick up enemies by their heads and pop them one by one. Can't wait for the new dreads to come out, I want to paint one up so bad.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Corrode posted:

I love Dreadnoughts.

He's got the perfect setup to carve the Space Turkey.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Oh yeah, totally. I know they have the largest support out of all of the armies. It just makes me semi-regret going with a successor instead of one of the main chapters so I could use chapter-specific stuff.

I know it'd be nearly impossible for them to make a special rule/character/unit for every single chapter. I'm just greedy and want one for my Howling Griffons. :)

Yeah it's hard to not want some love for your dudes. Whether or not I actually get back in far enough to play heavily depends entirely on being able to make a weirdo inquisition task force/crusade. Acolytes having their unusual resilience FAQd away is very sad.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

panascope posted:

He's got the perfect setup to carve the Space Turkey.

He even has a pair of heavy flamers to cook it with.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

He even has a pair of heavy flamers to cook it with.

https://youtu.be/OTjyO_FncE4?t=91

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Corrode posted:

I love Dreadnoughts.

Awesome.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

this is my fukken jam

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Major Spag posted:

Yeah, you could do that. Or, look at this nifty chart on effectiveness:

So I guess you want Power Swords and Thunder Hammers are the sweet spots depending on what you're doing with those units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

MasterSlowPoke posted:

That's a bit further south than I'm familiar with, but I think most people down there play at the Silver Dragon Tavern. I've never been myself but it sounds interesting! Join the Paradox 40k (and Paradox 30k if you're into that) groups on Facebook, that's what most people seem to use to organize games down there.

Awesome thanks! Sent a request in. Now I just need the get at least one army up to a decent level so I can try to get game in after I move!