Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm just gonna post this here cause it's about nerd poo poo and laugh haha funney
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nkboMqYhSA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kingdom of Heaven directors cut is really good as a critique of religious conflict through the lens of history. As a historically accurate film it sucks but it's fun to watch history nerds whine about the inaccurate details

If I could, I would inflict physical pain on Ridley Scott for his disregard of historical facts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's no worse than his reverse D Day landing in Robin Hood. Or are you one of those guys who is furious about France being depicted as a racist backwater shithole?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's no worse than his reverse D Day landing in Robin Hood. Or are you one of those guys who is furious about France being depicted as a racist backwater shithole?

I was speaking about all his 'historical' films. Kingdom of Heaven is not the most egregious example.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Trunko posted:

The book is really good and it takes about the same length of time to read as the movie does to watch...... Plus you don't have to sit through 30 minutes of sting mugging at the camera and punching walls to a new wave retro "cool" soundtrack

Hey dumbass, if the movie was made in the 80s it's not "new wave retro cool" music, it's just "cool".

I could see Sony turning spidey into an underage whore.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Teikanmi posted:

I'm just gonna post this here cause it's about nerd poo poo and laugh haha funney

this is good

jsoh fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 5, 2017

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
All those Onion Film Standard videos are good and Peter K. Rosenthal owns. Just watch them all.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kingdom of Heaven directors cut is really good as a critique of religious conflict through the lens of history. As a historically accurate film it sucks but it's fun to watch history nerds whine about the inaccurate details

I'd say alot of the details, especially as regards costumes, are really good. It gets a lot of the historical characters really wrong though. Especially Sibylla, and Reynaud de Châtillon and Guy de Lusignan being Templars is just weird (though atleast Reynaud is characterized pretty well).

I really want a kind of trashy series about Outremer court politics, that whole place was just scheming queen mothers and newly arrived Frankish playboys looking to inherit some titles with their dicks (seems a feature of the crusader states were people dying off like flies and not producing heirs, so the whole place was crawling with juicy widows).

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The final cut of Blade Runner is cool and the best bso is the esper edition. Thanks for reading.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

vermin posted:

I'm the motorcycle engine with a vacuum tube...probably?

I think this was the original design though

You know it's a poo poo design when they are trying to use the "keep it in shadows so it's not so noticable" trick on the loving concept art.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Randarkman posted:

I'd say alot of the details, especially as regards costumes, are really good. It gets a lot of the historical characters really wrong though. Especially Sibylla, and Reynaud de Châtillon and Guy de Lusignan being Templars is just weird (though atleast Reynaud is characterized pretty well).

Really the worst thing about the movie is Orlando Bloom. Now I just went on making fun of people getting hung up on historical facts, but if Bloom had been playing the actual Balian of Ibelin he would have been way more interesting, because that guy was dope as hell in reality.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

counterfeitsaint posted:

You're all poo poo and you all deserve each other.

Now that should be cross-stitched on a pillow

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Paladinus posted:

I was speaking about all his 'historical' films. Kingdom of Heaven is not the most egregious example.

well get excited because he's apparently doing a movie about the Battle of Britain

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drunken Baker posted:

Remember to google "Ridley Scott Original Alien Design" to be reminded how much of a hack he is who has been carried by more talented people his whole life.

You do know that that's actually Dan O'Bannon's original concept art, right? And Scott rejected it. I mean, sure, Ridley Scott sucks and blade Runner and Alien are great because of the other people who worked on them. But that specific instance you note is actually the opposite of what you're trying to say

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Drunken Baker posted:

Remember to google "Ridley Scott Original Alien Design" to be reminded how much of a hack he is who has been carried by more talented people his whole life.

that's nothing, check out one of the first scenes they filmed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H-n7vpYyN8

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

In the off chance anyone hasn't seen it, this is my favorite Onion review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9d09JLBVRc

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Lavender posted:

In the off chance anyone hasn't seen it, this is my favorite Onion review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9d09JLBVRc

holy poo poo that's a proclick

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

A Handed Missus posted:

well get excited because he's apparently doing a movie about the Battle of Britain

Turns out Churchill was actually Jesus and the nazis were created when Alan Turing had sex with and shot black goo into a proto-computer's usb port.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Drunken Baker posted:

I bet that lazy hack didn't even build the camera he used to shoot the movie!!!

lol goons are so stupid

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ridley's original alien design was Giger's Necronomicon IV.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

counterfeitsaint posted:

You're all poo poo and you all deserve each other.

:3:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

I bet that lazy hack didn't even build the camera he used to shoot the movie!!!

lol goons are so stupid

Lotta people in here don't understand what a director does.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
lmao I'm rewatching Rogue One after giving up on it halfway through and there's a scene of Vader doing a oneliner after force choking a dude. This movie is amazingly bad.

Also something Ridley Scott something blade boring something alien something something gay aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiids

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

bloom posted:

lmao I'm rewatching Rogue One after giving up on it halfway through and there's a scene of Vader doing a oneliner after force choking a dude. This movie is amazingly bad.

I laughed out loud at that scene in the theater.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

bloom posted:

I haven't seen it but I imagine one could put "...rear end in a top hat" with Darth Vader's witty lines to make it funnier

"If this is a consular ship, then where is the ambassador...rear end in a top hat."
"Apology accepted...rear end in a top hat."
"We would be honored if you would join us...rear end in a top hat."

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Honestly, everyone here needs to SHUT THE gently caress UP and go watch Baby Driver.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Teikanmi posted:

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahah jesus loving christ im already dying 45 seconds in

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

vermin posted:

I'm the motorcycle engine with a vacuum tube...probably?

I think this was the original design though

The problem with that design is that it doesnt really evoke anything. The xenomorph is all slick and smooth and black and phallic. It had no eyes but still had a weirdly human-like face and mouth. It had this weird exoskeleton so it was kinda insect-like but also like an actual human skeleton too. Everything about it tapped into our psychology. But this thing in the picture is just some four-legged green thing with weird claw arms. Its weird looking and might be an okay alien in Mos Eisley Catina but it doesnt evoke anything scary or sexual or off-putting or anything like that.

Also, how were they planning on filming that? Its all well and good to draw a picture but how would it look on screen?

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a bone to pick posted:

we are talking about Rogue One, not what your date said when your pants fell down during the movie

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a bone to pick posted:

So did I. That scene should have never made it into the movie.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Blue Star posted:

Also, how were they planning on filming that? Its all well and good to draw a picture but how would it look on screen?

They wanted to put a dog inside.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I lol'd in the theater during the "super badass" scene with Vader killing the dudes in the hallway. Star Wars is so goofy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

HoAssHo posted:

I lol'd in the theater during the "super badass" scene with Vader killing the dudes in the hallway. Star Wars is so goofy.

I rolled my eyes. It was nowhere near as cool as people seemed to think it was and by that point I just wanted the movie to be over.

The only character I enjoyed watching in that movie was Krennic, poor striving bastard.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

The Bananana posted:

Honestly, everyone here needs to SHUT THE gently caress UP and go watch Baby Driver.

Baby Driver was cool and good and it was Edgar Write so i mean of course it was. I had a lot of fun would recommend!

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

a bone to pick posted:

I lol'd real hard when Felicity Jones declares "YOU KNOW WHO I AM" and Krennic stares at her blankly

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
If Rouge One kept the goofiness that is ~Star Wars~ then that Vader scene could have been ok. But it was surrounded by Ultra Hardcore Take Us Serious stuff so when when Vader shows up in his literal lava palace and makes a bad pun and force chokes that dude it's laffo as heck.
The movie has already been forgotten though so whatever.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The problem with Blade Runner is it's called Blade Runner, so you expect it to be this cool fast paced action movie featuring a guy like... running... and trying to escape some evil future space bad guy and kicking rear end with a space sword. instead it's Harrison Ford sitting around a lot and occasionally shooting people in the back and getting his rear end kicked. They should've called it Butt Sitter maybe.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rogue One was so loving boring on absolutely every level that it boggles my mind when anyone says they enjoyed it.

The single interesting concept in the film, the Jedi temple, gets blown up before we get to see it.

gently caress movies!

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Careful, we're gonna summon Yug and he's gonna meltdown about Rogue One again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I'm interested to see how the next two star wars let us all down and fuel our thread for another three years

• Locked thread