Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Hey dude if you want you can come chat on the games discord. we're all mostly drunk and not mental health experts or anything, but it can help to chit chat

https://discord.gg/uzUYBn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

It's me, i'm the lurker

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
hi

im thinking about enlisting in the marines

i understand this is a bad decision compared to other branches, and an even worse decision compared to anything else, but i'm sitting in purgatory in my career and going nowhere. i've always had a lot of pressure to join the military from my family (grandfather was a D.I. in the marines, uncle was a Cpl in marines, father was in navy) and resisted it for a while, but the past few months i've been reading literally anything i can military related, even the "dont enlist, moron" posts and thinking "yeah, this is my poo poo, i can do this". the marine choice is family pride more than anything, which i understand is real dumb, but i'm pretty dead set on it

feel free to quote this post and laugh at my dumb decision

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Semper fi devil dawg

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

Semper fi devil dawg

Oorah

*kills self*

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

please do it for our entertainment

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

tastefully arranged labia posted:

please do it for our entertainment

it would be a significant bump to our actually still enlisted posters numbers

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

boy are my arms tired posted:

hi

i understand this is a bad decision compared to other branches, and an even worse decision compared to anything else, but i'm sitting in purgatory in my career and going nowhere. i've always had a lot of pressure to join the military from my family (grandfather was a D.I. in the marines, uncle was a Cpl in marines, father was in navy) and resisted it for a while, but the past few months i've been reading literally anything i can military related, even the "dont enlist, moron" posts and thinking "yeah, this is my poo poo, i can do this". the marine choice is family pride more than anything, which i understand is real dumb, but i'm pretty dead set on it

please don't

i come from an army family and everyone said NO DON'T and i listened and it was the best decision of my life!

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
ill be sure to post about how right yall were as soon as i exit boot camp

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

hi

From the sounds of it your lineage and familial culture are retarded so you'll almost certainly accel. Enjoy doing stupid things you know you'll regret! Oorah!

Edit: if your doing this because your current career has stalled are you planning on going back to school to change fields? I don't think the Marines is the best branch for post-service employment opportunity

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
excel

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

hi

whatever you do please enlist into a job that will give you a technical skill that you would want to do in the civilian world. I don't regret enlisting but I do regret getting out after five years with no job skills beyond vague 'leadership'.

Even if you fully intend on going to college afterwards enlist into a technical job.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

That too

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Kawasaki Nun posted:

From the sounds of it your lineage and familial culture are retarded so you'll almost certainly accel. Enjoy doing stupid things you know you'll regret! Oorah!

Edit: if your doing this because your current career has stalled are you planning on going back to school to change fields? I don't think the Marines is the best branch for post-service employment opportunity

this was the plan, yes. i don't have a whole lot of technical experience, it's all administrative, management, and public affairs-type stuff. i used to do some programming/IT poo poo for my associate's but that was years ago and i never got to put it into practice, shifting into safety/environment/occupational health instead

i could probably seek a new job in safety instead of enlisting but i hate the field and regret the decision to focus on it, and the degree isn't worth much outside the field

Reverand maynard posted:

whatever you do please enlist into a job that will give you a technical skill that you would want to do in the civilian world. I don't regret enlisting but I do regret getting out after five years with no job skills beyond vague 'leadership'.

Even if you fully intend on going to college afterwards enlist into a technical job.

yeah, absolutely; thank you

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Preemptive: Fuckin pog.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
How old are you, and do you have a college degree?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Just wait until the Space Corps gets off the ground (so to speak) and start a new retarded family tradition of service there. In IT, because the pay is the same as most any other enlisted job, but you get an air conditioned office.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Being a stupid enlisted person is a pretty decent way of going right out of high school, especially if you're a moron and a wonderful Saturday night involves watching NASCAR followed by chuggin some brews with your boys talking about how trump is going to make america great again.

If you have the option, grab yourself a degree and go the officer route. Going marine Officer isn't essentially the "worst" way to go but in comparison to most other branches your jobs that teach you a good skillset will be severely limited, and the quality of life as an officer is so much better.

Seriously, if you wanna join the marines, talk to an OSO and look into their pilot program. Back in 2016 when I attempted to go Marine Officer Reserves they were hurting for active duty pilots, to the point where they were saying a 29 year old prior service piece of poo poo like me could easily grab an air contract if I would have gone active.

Being a pilot in the marines lets you be all "Rah i'm a god drat marine Full metal jacket is what my life is about semper fi yut yut" but learn a technical skill flying planes/helicopters and lets you get out of the military when you want and land a job in the airlines making bank....airlines love hiring military pilots because of the amount of training they give you guys.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Arc Light posted:

Just wait until the Space Corps

i thought you were joking, but i guess we're gonna gently caress up space now too, lmbo

Godholio posted:

How old are you, and do you have a college degree?

26, yes

MurderBot posted:

If you have the option, grab yourself a degree and go the officer route. Going marine Officer isn't essentially the "worst" way to go but in comparison to most other branches your jobs that teach you a good skillset will be severely limited, and the quality of life as an officer is so much better.

Seriously, if you wanna join the marines, talk to an OSO and look into their pilot program. Back in 2016 when I attempted to go Marine Officer Reserves they were hurting for active duty pilots, to the point where they were saying a 29 year old prior service piece of poo poo like me could easily grab an air contract if I would have gone active.

Being a pilot in the marines lets you be all "Rah i'm a god drat marine Full metal jacket is what my life is about semper fi yut yut" but learn a technical skill flying planes/helicopters and lets you get out of the military when you want and land a job in the airlines making bank....airlines love hiring military pilots because of the amount of training they give you guys.

this actually sounds like a cool path, thanks! the recruiter was suggesting public affairs based on my experience (and also apparently i was "extremely professional, something he doesn't see much" which smelled like bullshit tbh)

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I can't speak for public affairs. One of the women I was contracting with was dead set on being a public affairs officer. I'm not sure how much that segways into a good civilian career.

The benefits with going air contract is that you're guaranteed a flight position. If you sign as a ground contract *which you would if you wanted to go public affairs/most anything else* and you are a lovely officer at TBS *advanced school for marine officers* you could be relegated to the needs of the corps and get your bottom choices..... That usually means something like logistics officer, which I'm sure has a decent pathway into the civilian world but i'm just speculating at this point.

Air=100% chance of going to pilot school, granted you don't get a DUI/murder a hooker during your weekends off in OCS or at TBS.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

MurderBot posted:

I can't speak for public affairs. One of the women I was contracting with was dead set on being a public affairs officer. I'm not sure how much that segways into a good civilian career.

The benefits with going air contract is that you're guaranteed a flight position. If you sign as a ground contract *which you would if you wanted to go public affairs/most anything else* and you are a lovely officer at TBS *advanced school for marine officers* you could be relegated to the needs of the corps and get your bottom choices..... That usually means something like logistics officer, which I'm sure has a decent pathway into the civilian world but i'm just speculating at this point.

Air=100% chance of going to pilot school, granted you don't get a DUI/murder a hooker during your weekends off in OCS or at TBS.

segway

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

You should look into 18X with the army, you'll be on the path to becoming Special Forces

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

MurderBot posted:

cool, thank you very much!

oh no

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well look at it this way. If your response to an overwhelming number of people saying, "don't do this thing." is basically "wooooo, I'm gonna do the thing!" then you'll fit in just fine with enlisted.

What this says about that environment is something I request you post about constantly in here as you slowly begin to grasp all the implications. This way we can enjoy it at your expense.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

:smugdon:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Better still. Surpass the marines. Become their superior by commissioning into the navy. Never have to worry about waking up with sand in your asscrack. Unless you passed out drunk on Waikiki beach, that's a navy problem.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Oh man. 26 is when I got out of the Navy and decided to change career paths.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Changing career paths to navy nuclear qualified officer will make you tons of money! Really!

Even if you are too inept to be a nuke you can be a swo and make just fine money but with better living conditions.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
enlisting in the marines at 26 sounds like a loving nightmare. you are a retard

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

enlisting in the marines at 26 sounds like a loving nightmare. you are a retard

But it's to impress his family of burnout enlistees and he's in a lull at work!!!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i remember a whole bunch of late 30 year olds doing basic training post-9/11

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Because they raised the enlistment age for the push to build up for/during OIF. Went up to 42, I think, for a while.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Reverand maynard posted:

security guard is pretty technical

0311 or bust.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I'm 35, red colorblind and have the stereotypical goon physique along with a masters degree in computer science. What branches should I enlist in if I'm dissatisfied with all the stupid bullshit in my current job?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
you're going to be old to enlist in any branch AFAIK unless another war pops off here soon, sorry dude

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I'm 35, red colorblind and have the stereotypical goon physique along with a masters degree in computer science. What branches should I enlist in if I'm dissatisfied with all the stupid bullshit in my current job?

USMC open contract

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

1337JiveTurkey posted:

look into navy CTN

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

1337JiveTurkey posted:

space marines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
please be nice to the lurkers :(

• Locked thread