Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Primetime posted:

Or you know...buy Christmas or holiday gifts in November/December

The trick is to give gifts every month to keep the budgeting mostly consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Just give the gifts to yourself every month except December, perfect plan!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

This is a good plan

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Christmas Club accounts will be making a comeback.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Serious question: travel agents still exist?!

a coworker of mine (making ~200k as a software developer) quit to become a travel agent because he was frustrated he had a 'fixed upside' to his income. never gonna become a millionaire making 1/5 of a million dollars, right?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

the talent deficit posted:

a coworker of mine (making ~200k as a software developer) quit to become a travel agent because he was frustrated he had a 'fixed upside' to his income. never gonna become a millionaire making 1/5 of a million dollars, right?
If it weren't for the presence of this very thread I would never believe you. This is some primo BWM.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Buy the gifts for yourself that you think a rich person would buy for themselves.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Ah nice, another temporarily embarrassed millionaire.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

UGH

An annual salary of 200k works out to roughly 100 an hour. If you can be paid 100 an hour to do something, you can get clients paying you much more than that per hour for consulting, or just negotiate a value-priced contract to get an effective "wage" of over 1000 an hour, or just spend nights and weekends writing and marketing a book called "What I know that you don't (yet!) which gets me 200 large a year" and get paid for that fixed investment of time for years to come. Any of these plans would build on and leverage your existing expertise instead of tossing it in the garbage for selling tickets to other people's planes and resorts. OH, or, if he feels like he needs to meet his destiny of wealth right away, why not just work for a startup for equity which has a minisculenear-certain chance to be worth millions!

Whatever, fine. If he's left the industry, it's just more VC for the rest of us to waste.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Noctone posted:

This is non-specific BWM, but almost every single MLM Company uses that in their pitch.

"Why be stuck making $10 an hour? There are only 24 hours a day and that puts a cap on how much you could ever possibly earn. Wouldn't you like to have unlimited income potential?"

Literally every single one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you're a jerk, yeah.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Doc Hawkins posted:

An annual salary of 200k works out to roughly 100 an hour. If you can be paid 100 an hour to do something, you can get clients paying you much more than that per hour for consulting, or just negotiate a value-priced contract to get an effective "wage" of over 1000 an hour, or just spend nights and weekends writing and marketing a book called "What I know that you don't (yet!) which gets me 200 large a year" and get paid for that fixed investment of time for years to come. Any of these plans would build on and leverage your existing expertise instead of tossing it in the garbage for selling tickets to other people's planes and resorts. OH, or, if he feels like he needs to meet his destiny of wealth right away, why not just work for a startup for equity which has a minisculenear-certain chance to be worth millions!

he also wrote a book and got enraged when he worked out his effective hourly rate for writing it was approximately $1.50

he quit to become a travel agent when the company we worked for switched from option grants to rsu grants after an acquisition. our rsu grants were substantially more generous than our option grants

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

John Smith posted:

Exactly. drat fools just don't learn. If you are living under my roof, then you obey my orders. Whether you agree with my orders or not is immaterial, your compliance is what is required. If my orders are for you to spin 3 times like a top every time you walk through a interior door, then you drat well spin.

Mod challenge?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Saw a video on my FB feed showing an acquaintance who built a "LulaRoe Room." It was a time-lapse video of a bedroom being painted and loaded wall-to-wall with shelves meant to store a large shipment of clothes inventory they had just received.

I too dream of one day converting ~20% of my rental home in to a closet full of unsold merchandise.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Noctone posted:

A formerly temporarily embarrassed millionaire. It's now never millionaire.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

he also wrote a book and got enraged when he worked out his effective hourly rate for writing it was approximately $1.50

he quit to become a travel agent when the company we worked for switched from option grants to rsu grants after an acquisition. our rsu grants were substantially more generous than our option grants

Yeah, but options are what the big boys get, and I'm a big boy now!

Thank you for helping me feel less bad for this person.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Someone Who Obviously Lives All Alone And Likes To Create Irrelevant Hypotheticals That Will Never Apply To Him posted:

Exactly. drat fools just don't learn. If you are living under my roof, then you obey my orders. Whether you agree with my orders or not is immaterial, your compliance is what is required. If my orders are for you to spin 3 times like a top every time you walk

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So with all these MLM schemes, why does the fact you have to personally purchase all the poo poo first to resell to your friends not set off immediate alarm bells? If all you're doing is convincing friends to buy things why would you ever ever spend money yourself first. Just dropship that poo poo.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

:negative:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So with all these MLM schemes, why does the fact you have to personally purchase all the poo poo first to resell to your friends not set off immediate alarm bells? If all you're doing is convincing friends to buy things why would you ever ever spend money yourself first. Just dropship that poo poo.

They don't target people who ask those questions or make that type of higher-level planning

I actually think it's gross that they deliberately target insecure people desperate to prove themselves to the world but yeah MLM scammers and other quick-witted opportunists are pretty in-tune with how most people think, and make decisions and can easily identify targets worth pursuing vs assholes like me who try to make a mockery of their pitch

I guess that's true of sales in general

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Because you have to have physical goods and the theoretical potential of profit from those goods to avoid getting shut down under pyramid scheme laws.

Then the companies are invested in selling you on the idea of this business rather than the products (be your own boss, unlimited income potential, choose your own hours, freedom, etc)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You have to spend money to make money.

Also now you're invested because you've purchased the products and people are all about justifying sunk costs.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I mean it's not private art school, but uh...

$253,000 in debt, one more year of school left.

quote:

Between all my debts, vast majority of which is school debt- both private and federal, I am $253,xxx in debt and counting. I work at job that I make around $33,000 a year with no indication of being promoted, or cracking $40K. I'm in school to be a school counselor and it seems once I land a job in that field, my salary will probably double. I don't know what to do, I got myself into this and I know slowly, but surely I can get myself out, but where is a good starting point?
My loans are in deferment now, and my current (after taxes) take home pay is $1800. If the current administration doesn't do away with it, I plan on taking advantage of the program for those who are civil servants and make 120 consecutive payments on their student loans. But that won't be for another couple years.
What are ways I can start being proactive now? Outside of living as frugally as possible, budgeting, etc..

quote:

Out of curiosity, how did you amass this amount of student loan debt?

OP posted:

Outright stupidity. I took years to finish my BA, then got one Master's and am now pursuing another.

quote:

Are all degrees in the same field?

OP posted:

BA in Sociology and MFA in Human Services

That's the one I'm working on currently, it'll be Professional School Counseling

I have a career working in both private and public sectors, I've also been a career student. -I'm 33 -Yes, we already have twins

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Maybe it's because I came from perhaps the last generation before student loans became widely popular and easy to get, but it staggers me that someone not pursuing a medical doctorate could or would rack up a new house worth of loans.

I paid for school with my GI Bill. A different kind of loan to be sure in that I had to loan myself out for 4 years of digging holes in the rain and guarding the motor pool but I ended up with no debt. I can't imagine being out of school staring at 230k with a 33k/year teaching job and two small children. How does the rationalization for that even work? This guy will probably be paying that the rest of his life or close enough.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Enfys posted:

I mean it's not private art school, but uh...

$253,000 in debt, one more year of school left.

A quarter of a million dollars to educate a school guidance counselor :wtc:

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

It's really easy to talk yourself into loans as a good investment. College marketing departments earn their salaries

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
My high school counselor told me it wasn't a terrible idea for me to borrow 20k a semester for going to school across the country. Mind you I had no idea what I wanted to study lol. I was a few signatures away from borrowing my first chunk at 40,000. This was after having grown up in a household where the family income for six people was maybe 25k on a good year....

The counselor was like "s'all good, everyone takes loans bro."

I then came to goons for advice (generally not recommended but hey), and I was quickly corrected out of that suggestion amidst a lot of insults. This was nearly ten years ago (I ended up going to the local state uni and graduating with less than 30k of debt for a BA+MA, thanks for saving my rear end from a life of miserable debt, goons).

My point is other people, especially people you're supposed to trust, can't be trusted at all. Most people realize this entirely too late, after they've already signed up for life-changing debt. Plus, it's really hard for younger people to weigh risk vs reward as their brain hasn't really developed those bits fully.

Combine that with generational poverty and a "shot at making it," and these loans really do sell themselves. It's sick and the blame imo lies equally with everyone, from the victims of insane debt that no reasonable person should ever take to the schools to the pushy loan companies, downright to the idiot teachers and counselors who don't know poo poo outside of their puny existence and should keep their mouth shut unless it relates to their subject of expertise.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 5, 2017

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I think most travel agents are free if you do the legwork yourself and just use them to book a hotel reservation with their virtuoso benefits.

There is definitely a luxury travel agent market out there.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I'm honestly a little surprised the student loan crisis hasn't spurred a suicide epidemic. I don't understand how these people cope with the fact that they'll pretty much be behind the eight ball for the rest of their lives.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Noctone posted:

I'm honestly a little surprised the student loan crisis hasn't spurred a suicide epidemic. I don't understand how these people cope with the fact that they'll pretty much be behind the eight ball for the rest of their lives.

Because, like a car payment, it's just something you pay a couple hundred dollars on every month until you die.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Carry around the amount of student loans you think a rich person would carry

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Noctone posted:

give it a little more time, it will happen

I am horrified for my underemployed friends who owe anywhere from 2-8x more than I do for a BA (or a loving associate's in the case of a very unfortunate and gullible soul)

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

monster on a stick posted:

Carry around the amount of student loans you think a rich person would carry

This is extremely good advice because that number is probably very low!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Ixian posted:

This guy will probably be paying that the rest of his life or close enough.

Same reason otherwise GWM people keep buying houses in the middle of bubbles - "it's good debt!"

A lot of the old personal finance advice is becoming outdated but nobody seems to be questioning it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cold on a Cob posted:

Same reason otherwise GWM people keep buying houses in the middle of bubbles - "it's good debt!"

A lot of the old personal finance advice is becoming outdated but nobody seems to be questioning it.

This varies dramatically by local market, but trying to time the housing market is like trying to time any other market: not a long-term winning plan.

In markets where houses are expensive but rent is even more expensive, why not buy a house if it's significantly cheaper than renting something similar? You even get a tax subsidy because we've decided that high-income homeowners deserve the largest chunk of government benefits.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Doesn't hurt to go for an undue hardship petition in a chapter 7 process at that point. Who knows you might just convince a judge!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Twerk from Home posted:

This varies dramatically by local market, but trying to time the housing market is like trying to time any other market: not a long-term winning plan.

In markets where houses are expensive but rent is even more expensive, why not buy a house if it's significantly cheaper than renting something similar? You even get a tax subsidy because we've decided that high-income homeowners deserve the largest chunk of government benefits.

One of the arguable signs of a housing bubble is rents are significantly cheaper than mortgaging and investor/landlords are losing money on houses month-to-month, because the demand is among investors not people that will buy and inhabit. You'll also see a lot of vacant houses in a bubble market, for example.

I absolutely agree that this will vary by market. That's my problem with advice like "housing debt is always good debt".

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

I think you mean "timing the market is not a winning plan for other people, but i'm a winner who's smart and good at it"

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cold on a Cob posted:

One of the arguable signs of a housing bubble is rents are significantly cheaper than mortgaging and investor/landlords are losing money on houses month-to-month, because the demand is among investors not people that will buy and inhabit. You'll also see a lot of vacant houses in a bubble market, for example.

I absolutely agree that this will vary by market. That's my problem with advice like "housing debt is always good debt".

This is what makes me think that lots of US markets aren't in a bubble, but just really expensive. Sure, that run-down old house costs $480k now, but renting the equally worn-down house across the street would be $3600/mo so it's still much cheaper to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting you should try to time the housing market, but if the cost of a single family home is 12x your yearly gross family income then maybe buying said house might be a BWM move and you should ignore people who say "all mortgage debt is good debt :downs:".