Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Vitamean posted:

God I spent the majority of this morning trying to sort out my feelings about Omega, and I think this hits it pretty well. I love FFV, and initially seeing a handful of bosses in-game was a nice surprise, but I think the magic wore off really quickly. I hadn't thought about how it's separate physically from the rest of the world, but that's exactly it. Why should I care about the Dimensional Castle? It's a cool visual reference, but it has no presence in Eorzea like CT did.

Also there's just something a bit disappointing about not being surprised by boss designs. After V2.0 confirmed that all the bosses would be from FFV the only real surprise for me was that the V4.0 boss appears now when I expected it down the line.

But Omega is a boss in a room, much like Bahamut and not Crystal Tower. Wouldn't Return to Ivalace be closer to Crystal Tower as a 24man raid?

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

cheetah7071 posted:

Does the general uselessness of yellow scrip gear apply to DoL as well?

So I just checked and he stats on the Yellow Scrip gear is:

Main Hand - 372 Gathering, 213 Perception
Head - 213 Perception
Body - 213 Gathering, 106 Perception, 5 GP
Gloves - 159 Gathering, 5 GP
Legs - 106 Gathering, 11 Perception, 5 GP
Boots - 11 Gathering, 106 Perception

While the stats on HQ crafted gear is:
Main Hand - 342 Gathering, 196 Perception (difference of -30/-17)
Head - 196 Perception (-17)
Body - 196 Gathering, 98 Perception, 5 GP (-17/-8)
Gloves - 147 Gathering, 5 GP (-12)
Legs - 98 Gathering, 10 Perception, 5 GP (-8/-1)
Boots - 10 Gathering, 98 Perception (-1/-8)

Again, it looks like the difference is not that large and could easily be made up with from materia.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Lemon King posted:

But Omega is a boss in a room, much like Bahamut and not Crystal Tower. Wouldn't Return to Ivalace be closer to Crystal Tower as a 24man raid?
I mean even Coil areas were physically present in the world, just deep underground.

Jose Valasquez posted:

The fights are cool and fun so I'm pretty happy with Omega
I don't disagree with this! 2.0 was probably my most frustrating experience but going back and doing it to get my token was a breeze, and I really liked the mechanics in 3 and 4.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are you sure? I swear I remember him confessing he was half Garlean during 2.0/2.X. The implication was his Ala Mohegan mother was raped by my Garlean soldier(s) during Ala Mihgo's invasion or early into the occupation (dude is barely older than Alphy).

Looking back, it's a lot more ambiguous than I remembered. I will say in my defense that it's possible someone in his parentage was a Roe, because he's hella got Roe features. So, either Garlean Roe shipped out from some other province, or Ala Mhigan Roe mother, the latter case of which allows for a Garlean-Garlean rapist.

But my case isn't helped by the game's code definiting him as a Hyur:

So I dunno anymore. By his appearance, I assumed when he said "half-breed" it was Roe/Highlander, because I totally didn't remember him, at all. I would even swear he has the Hellsguard nose. But I clearly wasn't paying enough attention.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 5, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cyflan posted:

Late on replying to this, but I'd rather have Bizarro Sephiroth, since that form looks amazing for FF7, and I'd like to see what it looks like in FFXIV.
Also I really like Birth of God way more than One Winged Angel.

Though both forms would be even better.

FF7 isn't really one of my favorite FF games anymore, but that fight is overall just real memorable.

Personally I just want them to include a JENOVA fight for the rad music. For whatever reason I don't expect FF7 to show up as a tier in Omega though.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Apparently I, as a PLD, is supposed to heal a DRK that is pulling 4-5 mobs at once in PotD

(He quit immediately after this picture)

E: Also with PotD stats you can cast it literally twice and that's it without using Riot Blade

Haquer fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 5, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Thundarr posted:

Personally I just want them to include a JENOVA fight for the rad music. For whatever reason I don't expect FF7 to show up as a tier in Omega though.

YoshiP looks at this post and coughs, shoving the Omega tier with the bosses JENOVA, JENOVA, JENOVA and JENOVA back a patch.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

EponymousMrYar posted:

YoshiP looks at this post and coughs, shoving the Omega tier with the bosses JENOVA, JENOVA, JENOVA and JENOVA back a patch.

Damnit yoship.

Haquer posted:

Apparently I, as a PLD, is supposed to heal a DRK that is pulling 4-5 mobs at once in PotD

(He quit immediately after this picture)

E: Also with PotD stats you can cast it literally twice and that's it without using Riot Blade

Boy will he sure feel sheepish when he realizes that PotD speed runs involve killing as few things as possible.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I would like to point out that there's nothing explicitly saying what happened with Arenvald's mother. For all we know she could have fallen in love with a sympathetic Garlean like Baut, but other Ala Mhigans shamed her for it.

I hope Arenvald sticks around, it's nice to have another Echo user.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, he is one of the few echo users the Scions gathered that escaped the Waking Sands Massacre, IIRC because he was away on a minor assignment. It was good to see him again.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So I dunno anymore. By his appearance, I assumed when he said "half-breed" it was Roe/Highlander, because I totally didn't remember him, at all. I would even swear he has the Hellsguard nose. But I clearly wasn't paying enough attention.

That's just what some Highlander's look like. I should know I play a Highlander. Also what website is that which shows the character creation info?

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
Hey everyone stupid question incoming.

I'm currently level 54 and I'm wondering if im better off wearing ironworks gear until 70 or constantly upgrading my gear with quest rewards.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

So I just checked and he stats on the Yellow Scrip gear is:

Main Hand - 372 Gathering, 213 Perception
Head - 213 Perception
Body - 213 Gathering, 106 Perception, 5 GP
Gloves - 159 Gathering, 5 GP
Legs - 106 Gathering, 11 Perception, 5 GP
Boots - 11 Gathering, 106 Perception

While the stats on HQ crafted gear is:
Main Hand - 342 Gathering, 196 Perception (difference of -30/-17)
Head - 196 Perception (-17)
Body - 196 Gathering, 98 Perception, 5 GP (-17/-8)
Gloves - 147 Gathering, 5 GP (-12)
Legs - 98 Gathering, 10 Perception, 5 GP (-8/-1)
Boots - 10 Gathering, 98 Perception (-1/-8)

Again, it looks like the difference is not that large and could easily be made up with from materia.

As a person who mostly fishes to have something to do with my hands while I watch stuff on netflix, I might just get the yellow stuff anyways to save myself a few million gil. The difference between fully melded crafted and yellow scrip is also pretty small.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

I'm currently level 54 and I'm wondering if im better off wearing ironworks gear until 70 or constantly upgrading my gear with quest rewards.

If the quest rewards are better gear, wear them. They should be better shortly.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dooooon't wear ilvl 110 stuff all the way to 70. Take the quest reward whenever they're better than what you're already wearing. If your class isn't one of the things you can choose from for that quest, pick whatever class you're most likely to level later.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The latter by miles. Ironworks gear stops being useful around your level.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

cheetah7071 posted:

As a person who mostly fishes to have something to do with my hands while I watch stuff on netflix, I might just get the yellow stuff anyways to save myself a few million gil. The difference between fully melded crafted and yellow scrip is also pretty small.

Yeah, if all you do is fish, totally just go with the scrip gear. It's mainly just not worth it if you're leveling all class since you'd have to have 3 sets of DoL gear and 8 sets of DoL gear.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I didn't replace any of my ironworks gear until 70. Level 65 is when high quality gear starts to have better stats, and level 68 for normal quality, but ironworks is more than sufficient all the way to the cap. YMMV though, since my gear is also melded for 4* HW crafts.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I didn't replace any of my ironworks gear until 70. Level 65 is when high quality gear starts to have better stats, and level 68 for normal quality, but ironworks is more than sufficient all the way to the cap.

He's talking about the level 50 combat gear, not the level 60 crafting/gathering gear.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

I didn't replace any of my ironworks gear until 70. Level 65 is when high quality gear starts to have better stats, and level 68 for normal quality, but ironworks is more than sufficient all the way to the cap.

Ironworks is the level 50 poetics gear, not the level 60 poetics gear

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
Thanks for the info everyone, hopefully the people in my dungeons will suffer less now.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Yeah do yourself a favor and take the upgrades, especially since it's your first time through. I'll be the first to admit that on subsequent jobs I slacked and carried myself along with Ironworks through the 50s, when I didn't have dungeon equipment I've won lots on. Some jobs straight to 60 with no upgrades. You just don't really need the gear if you're specifically leveling additional jobs through daily hunts, beast tribes, msq roulette, and palace of the dead. The other roulettes I never used for leveling since I was taking the tomestones and selling crafting materials.

But since you have quests and story dungeons that need completing, you'll want to have the character strength to make it as painless as possible.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Newly to Stormblood, all level 51-59 and 61-69 dungeons give you a piece of gear you can equip and don't already have from that dungeon (automatically added to your inventory when the boss dies), so go ahead and hit the equip best button whenever you finish a levelling dungeon just in case.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

cheetah7071 posted:

Newly to Stormblood, all level 51-59 and 61-69 dungeons give you a piece of gear you can equip and don't already have from that dungeon (automatically added to your inventory when the boss dies), so go ahead and hit the equip best button whenever you finish a levelling dungeon just in case.

wow as if I didn't have enough incentives to constantly do the highest level dungeon I can to get xp rather than sidequests.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

nuru posted:

Enkidu reminds me that we're almost certainly getting a Gilgamesh fight in Omega somewhere. We have to, right?

Imma be upset if we don't!

SettingSun posted:

I like references like the boss of Kugane Castle. You know him well, along with the names of his moves, but his actual fight is pretty original.

I totally guessed the final boss of kugane castle based on the dialogue description for the quest :)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Boy will he sure feel sheepish when he realizes that PotD speed runs involve killing as few things as possible.
Welcome to my SGDQ 100% PotD speedrun

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

The actual consequence is that leveling roulette for any job level 63+ will put you in Shisui about 50% of the time to help other people farm skimpy armor for their catgirl glamours.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr posted:

The actual consequence is that leveling roulette for any job level 63+ will put you in Shisui about 50% of the time to help other people farm skimpy armor for their catgirl glamours.

I frigging wish. Shisui is good EXP compared to frigging Copperhell again.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think it's particularly fair to say that. The Omega in FFXIV isn't the (entirely characterless optional superboss) from FFV and while the bosses are straight references they have a fair bit of their own style to them. I don't see it as anything meaningfully different so far from the Guard Scorpion or Matoya or Cloud of Darkness or whoever. Omega itself has FFXIV exclusive flavor which I think is the important part. (And it's hard for me to complain about 'from another dimension' when the dragons and voidsent are also from other worlds and none the less are a part of FFXIV's setting and Omega's been around since at least the Allegan era.)

I mean the plot could finish with nothing but "and then you finished Omega's tournament and everything ended" but I feel like there's probably going to be at least one or two twists there that help define its role in the world.

it's also not entirely fair since Nero literally spends the fight intros to Delta 3 and 4 saying "Oh here's the fairy tales they're based on and hey some scholars think those books are based on Events X and Y in Eorzean history."

And if doing these boss fights in a brand new combat system where almost nothing inherently transfers isn't enough to count as a cover for your standards your standards are kind of hosed.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Thundarr posted:

I'm glad that I can farm skimpy catgirl glamours while still getting the ldr bonus

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My Omega speculation is that if O5-8 moves on to a different game, it'll be one that involves space-time chicanery. So 8 10 or 13. 10 would be especially fitting since it also deals with simulacrums.

O9 and O10 I'm guessing will be sort of a "Greatest Hits" pair (I'm hoping for Jenova, since it fits with the "weird thing from outer space" theme), then O11 is Omega's attempt to create artificial heroes, so it's a Council fight against one of the series' protags. The twist at the end of O11 is Omega was too successful, and so the artificial heroes go "hey this sucks, lets go punch this dumb machine" and clear the way for O12.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I wish the Shisui set was dyable. I hate wearing white healer gear on my AST.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

wow as if I didn't have enough incentives to constantly do the highest level dungeon I can to get xp rather than sidequests.

TBH if tank or healer, this is THE way to level. Mix it up with a little POTD/PVP to stave off boredom. Like run a dungeon a time or two, do 10 floors of potd, a round of pvp and you'll have probably leveled.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

SirPhoebos posted:

The twist at the end of O11 is Omega was too successful, and so the artificial heroes go "hey this sucks, lets go punch this dumb machine" and clear the way for O12.

That would be so cool, I can't wait to be disappointed now.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

cheetah7071 posted:

You can't 'pity get' the weapon though as far as I can tell. If you run a dungeon with every other drop except the weapon you just get nothing at the end.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 5, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Saint Freak posted:

You can't 'pity get' the weapon as far as I can tell. If you run a dungeon with every other drop except the weapon you just get nothing at the end.

Confirmed. You only get armor and accessories, no weapons.

<- A dude who use the level 64 HQ katana until the freebie at 70 because the dungeons just. Would. Not. Drop. One.

The same for MNK fists. Used the Shisui ones until 69 (because I got the MNK weapons there when leveling my tank through it :v:)

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!
Is there a new invite link to Discord? The one in the OP is expired.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So I take it the 9k error will be solved when people stop playing the game on the server. Really sucks when it happens in dungeons.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

I wish the Shisui set was dyable. I hate wearing white healer gear on my AST.

I would bet money on it being a crafted glamour piece a couple patches from now.

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

ImpAtom posted:

I frigging wish. Shisui is good EXP compared to frigging Copperhell again.

Low level dungeons are actually great XP if you get them for roulette as long as you equip all of your +XP gear, since it works on the bonus you get at the end. I've gotten like half a level from TTD because I was wearing Friendship Circlet and the new pre-order earrings from SB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, he is one of the few echo users the Scions gathered that escaped the Waking Sands Massacre, IIRC because he was away on a minor assignment. It was good to see him again.

That's just what some Highlander's look like. I should know I play a Highlander. Also what website is that which shows the character creation info?

http://garlandtools.org/db/

Interface takes a few minutes to get used to, but overall I think it's better than xivdb.