Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Boo

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/882712854771716098

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Bill Simmons just said that the Thunder are a 7-8 seed in the west and would maybe be a three seed in the east lmfao

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

cravius posted:

Bill Simmons just said that the Thunder are a 7-8 seed in the west and would maybe be a three seed in the east lmfao

He's....not wrong?

Honestly the west is such a shark tank I wouldn't really be surprised at them being anywhere between 4-8 but I'd err on the lower side of that just because Westbrook is such a powder keg.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 5, 2017

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
If you assume a top 3 of GSW, Spurs, and Houston (not a guarantee IMO) then that assumes 3-4 teams ahead of OKC.

I can't really make a case for ANY of the remaining likely playoff teams being ahead of them, let alone 3-4 of them.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I guess waiving Ellis means that player option for 18-19 is gone. That would be valuable cap space that I'm sure we'll find some dumb player to fill up instead of saving it.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Eltoasto posted:

I guess waiving Ellis means that player option for 18-19 is gone. That would be valuable cap space that I'm sure we'll find some dumb player to fill up instead of saving it.

Kelly Olynyk come on down....!!!

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

attackmole posted:

He's....not wrong?

He probably is though. They were the sixth seed last year (by a comfortable margin) and just added PG, while the two of the five teams above them took heavy hits to their rosters and none of the teams below them made significant upgrades (and in some cases got even worse).

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/882717396577943552

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Timber Wolves gonna vault into the 4th seed this season I can feel it. This is the year!!

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

leftist heap posted:

If you assume a top 3 of GSW, Spurs, and Houston (not a guarantee IMO) then that assumes 3-4 teams ahead of OKC.

I can't really make a case for ANY of the remaining likely playoff teams being ahead of them, let alone 3-4 of them.

I guess. Now that I think about it some more yeah, the talent on Utah, Memphis and LAC has went down, Portland is staying pat and who knows if the improvements to Minessota/NO/Denver will actually put them in the mix or not. So yeah, I'll backpedal and admit that on paper I guess they slide into the 4th spot. But I'm still gonna say that I wouldn't be very surprised if they fell lower than that. Maybe I'm just biased but I look at OKC and see a real high variance team. They're good, but volatile.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
OKC improved at PF and the other wing spot. They just need to add a decent back-up PG and they have vastly improved the roster from last season.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Pacers used the stretch provision on Ellis, so now they are back up to 22mil in cap space to gather some disappointments.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Eltoasto posted:

Pacers used the stretch provision on Ellis, so now they are back up to 22mil in cap space to gather some disappointments.

God drat I don't know why they haven't jumped all over Aldrich's contract to get that OKC pick.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
What did gsw use to sign Nick Young? Is 5+ mil the taxpayers MLE?

Do they still not have any centers on the roster?

Re:OKC They are probably the 4th best team but I think 4-10 is going to be brutal an really not much would surprise me. Hell, I'm trying to convince myself SAS finally drops off but...nahhh

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

pubic works project posted:

God drat I don't know why they haven't jumped all over Aldrich's contract to get that OKC pick.

I have a feeling like your GM may not be very crafty but let's hope that turns out not to be the case

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Pacers should trade for Allan Crabbe. They need a catch-and-shoot wing to pair with their new, young point guard.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Noctone posted:

Kinda sad that next season is already a foregone conclusion (barring injury) unless some bonkers stuff happens at the trade deadline.

Next two seasons I'd say.

cravius posted:

1. GSW (will win title.)
2. Rockets
3. Spurs
4. O! K! C!
5. TWolves unless 3 point shooting hurts them
6-12. some combination of Pels, Mavs, Blazers, Nuggets, Clippers, Jazz, Kings. Too hard to guess the order yet but injuries will likely alter preseason expectations.

If you scoff at the Mavs being in this group, I'd remind you they lost a significant amount of games early on where all the team was injured and they were digging through the D-League for guards. With the players they plan to roll out with, they won at a decent clip.

If you are a borderline playoff team in the West this year you might as well go for it, West lotto picks won't be that great due to everyone fleeing the East. Amazing how many grown men are scared of LeBron.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Lockback posted:

Re:OKC They are probably the 4th best team but I think 4-10 is going to be brutal an really not much would surprise me. Hell, I'm trying to convince myself SAS finally drops off but...nahhh

spurs are going to be about as good as last year but houston and okc got way better

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Cool Buff Man posted:

I have a feeling like your GM may not be very crafty but let's hope that turns out not to be the case

I have that same feeling too. :(

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Not a lot of teams seem to be jumping on that. Between the difficulty in offloading deals and the cooler than expected market, I think teams are going back to valuing their cap space

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Spacebump posted:

If you are a borderline playoff team in the West this year you might as well go for it, West lotto picks won't be that great due to everyone fleeing the East. Amazing how many grown men are scared of LeBron.

Wouldn't the weakness of the east mean that a bad west team would have a worse record than an equally bad east team because they'll be playing better opponents?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

leftist heap posted:

I just got really upset because I can't post the .gif of Ricky slowly looking to the camera and smiling as a response to stuff like this anymore

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Lockback posted:

David West already re-signed for vet minimum, they drafted Jordan Bell, and Zaza is expected to come back.

It's not like there's a scarcity of centers left in free agency if they're out of options.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They can find someone on the minimum to play center when they're not going small. They grabbed McGee off the scrap heap for nothing and were fine.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Not a lot of teams seem to be jumping on that. Between the difficulty in offloading deals and the cooler than expected market, I think teams are going back to valuing their cap space

Yeah, I'd just rather have Aldrich and a 1st at $7 million a year than Olynyk's rear end for $13 million.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

Wouldn't the weakness of the east mean that a bad west team would have a worse record than an equally bad east team because they'll be playing better opponents?

It should because they are playing the West teams more often but a bad West team's equally bad counterpart in the East might be competing for the 4th seed. So most of their games vs the East will lead to wins while the East teams might split wins against each other in addition to losing to the West. I expect the standings to look like a more exaggerated version of the 14 season. Except with less 40 win East teams.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%9614_NBA_season

Of course injuries and breakout seasons could throw this idea out the window.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

The Warriors need to just take it to the next level and sign some old ballers in their 50s and 60s who never got rings to play a few minutes and take injury settlements.

Imagine Karl Malone getting minutes in the NBA this year.

Imagine LaVar Ball joining GSW.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Getting upset about Hayward denying that a decision had been made is seriously the dumbest thing

Move the Jazz to Seattle and give Utah a baseball team so their fans can be indignant about bat flips

It may be the worst NBA lie since LBJ said he had no clue that David Blatt was getting fired.

The biggest lie still might be when Charles Barkley kept saying he was having visions that literal deities came to him and told him he was going to win the 1993 title with the Suns.

The Glumslinger posted:

LA doesn't have their pick this year, so it would just be screwing over the Celitcs

Also, if you still don't get why Nick Young is an insane pickup for the Warriors
https://twitter.com/bzcohen/status/882661045378134020

2018 is looking even stronger to be the GTOAT if they have 100% health.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dion gets 4 years/$52m

https://twitter.com/KDTrey5/status/882663756978831360

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

PantsFreeZone posted:

Dion gets 4 years/$52m

is there some other Dion i'm unaware of that is worth 13m a year or?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Zogo posted:

Imagine LaVar Ball joining GSW.

Any poster in these threads or retired player could be added to GSW's depth chart and they'd still win the title at this point. They should sign one of the following Allen Iverson, TMac, old rear end Shaq, Yao Ming in a wheel chair, Steve Nash on a hover board, Kobe with plastic surgery that alters his face to look like an actual Black Mamba(tongue included), Charles Barkley, or the bones of Wilt Chamberlain.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

attackmole posted:

He's....not wrong?

Honestly the west is such a shark tank I wouldn't really be surprised at them being anywhere between 4-8 but I'd err on the lower side of that just because Westbrook is such a powder keg.

Westbrook is finally developing NBA court savvy and knowing that Kevin Durant's departure was somewhat on him that ahahahahaha

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It would be good if LaVar replied with some insults at this juncture.

Eltoasto posted:

Small markets exist to give big markets stars, also c'mon look at em.

It appears LBJ really is going to go to the finals for a straight decade.

Dexo posted:

like Lmao. The Bulls if they wanted to could only have like ~25-30 million(Keeping Zipser, Valentine, Dunn, and Lavine(they have to probably pay him but have his cap hold as comically low))assuming they trade Rolo this year which I am assuming will happen) on the books next year.

Can't wait for all of the Bulls fans to once again get their hopes up for like a Lebron only to be dashed embarrassingly.

Though they have tons of space to take on lovely contracts and picks for teams looking to shed salary for BronBron.

In the next few years I expect another Ben Wallace kind of signing.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Spacebump posted:

Next two seasons I'd say.

1. GSW (will win title.)
2. Rockets
3. Spurs
4. O! K! C!
5. TWolves unless 3 point shooting hurts them
6-12. some combination of Pels, Mavs, Blazers, Nuggets, Clippers, Jazz, Kings. Too hard to guess the order yet but injuries will likely alter preseason expectations.

If you scoff at the Mavs being in this group, I'd remind you they lost a significant amount of games early on where all the team was injured and they were digging through the D-League for guards. With the players they plan to roll out with, they won at a decent clip.

You gotta replace Kings with the Grizzlies in that 6-12 tier man

Kings belong with the Suns and Lakers in the 'no shot at playoffs' 13-15 tier

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

JesusSinfulHands posted:

You gotta replace Kings with the Grizzlies in that 6-12 tier man

Kings belong with the Suns and Lakers in the 'no shot at playoffs' 13-15 tier

You are 100% right, for some reason I thought I put the Grizz there but forgot to. Kings will be better this year with their signings but Grizz should be the better team.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

So a friend on Facebook seems to think the Pacers should have traded Ellis because the other team could have "cut him after he takes the player option and the team has cleared cap space and roster spot (but still on hook for $)."

I don't think that's possible, right?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Though they have tons of space to take on lovely contracts and picks for teams looking to shed salary for BronBron.

I'd love for them to take on lovely contracts for picks but they've shown no signs they'd actually do that. Either they don't understand the strategy or the more likely scenario they are just lazy.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

So a friend on Facebook seems to think the Pacers should have traded Ellis because the other team could have "cut him after he takes the player option and the team has cleared cap space and roster spot (but still on hook for $)."

I don't think that's possible, right?

It sounds like he had a Stuckey style contract where he lost the player option when waived, but remember Stuckey had to be waived before the end of the season. So I guess the other team would have to want to pay Ellis 11 mil for 95% of 1 season and not have him for the playoffs, and that's assuming the provision would stay if traded.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

less than I thought he would. I was expecting 4/60

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
drat and, I can't believe I'm saying this, I was really hoping the Pelicans could sign Young with their MLE. Could offer more than GSW and really need shooting and guard depth.

Oh well, the richest get richer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/882735482009927680

• Locked thread