Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah all those days you have a boot on your throat choking you out with a spear ready to plunge into your heart as you plea for your life.

He has a chance to say the full name afterwards. And even then, it doesn't matter. Batman has no idea who Martha Kent is or where she is. It's just a clumsy tool they are using to end the fight and quickly move the story along.

That's why Lois has to run out of nowhere and confirm to Batman "It's his mother! His mom's name is Martha! Just like you!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He has a chance to say the full name afterwards. And even then, it doesn't matter. Batman has no idea who Martha Kent is or where she is. It's just a clumsy tool they are using to end the fight and quickly move the story along.

That's why Lois has to run out of nowhere and confirm to Batman "It's his mother! His mom's name is Martha! Just like you!"

k

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He stopped trying to kill him and Superman didn't even have to give up his identity, until Lois ruined it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

You're allowed to like bad movies and even good movies can have bad scenes.

Even Affleck has said that the Martha scene is bad.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

You're allowed to like bad movies and even good movies can have bad scenes.

Even Affleck has said that the Martha scene is bad.

Thanks for the approval boss.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lads, remember: both your mothers are named Martha.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zoux posted:

Lads, remember: both your mothers are named Martha.

Outside of very specific movie chat I think Leon is a pretty swell person tbh

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MacheteZombie posted:

Outside of very specific movie chat I think Leon is a pretty swell person tbh

Same.

:glomp:

I'm just a jerk and like Batman a lot and wish he was in better movies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Same.

No worries, I've been hyper defensive about BvS in the past so I can understand my snark being off putting at times.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Batman Forever is still a great movie. Batman's never sat well with me without acknowledging a bit of camp and how silly the whole thing is.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Batman Forever is still a great movie. Batman's never sat well with me without acknowledging a bit of camp and how silly the whole thing is.

There's a reason everyone loves Batman 66.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I like 66' and most of the Nolan Bat-movies.

So, I'm pretty sure that I could enjoy just about any Batman movie tonally, if it were done well.

The 90's Bat-movies were very bad overall, but I will always have a special place in my heart for Kiss From a Rose, Bat-Nipples, and Mr. Freeze puns.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I realized a while back that every single version of Batman has at least one thing about it that is great and extremely true to the character and the world he's in. Whether it's visuals, music, a single line, every one of them has something to add.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I just want the Batfleck solo movie to get out of development hell and be good.

I really liked Batfleck; despite thinking BvS was okay and mostly forgettable.

I'm not a huge fan of Henry Cavill as Superman, but I enjoyed MoS a lot more than Batfleck's intro movie.

95% of Batfleck was great (and I don't particularly care that he killed people or not), so as long as the Batfleck solo movie can build off that I'm sold.

The only bad thing I can say about Batfleck is that I can never forget the scene where he flings a crate with his grappling hook and it looks like a floating cardboard box that defies gravity. That's not really his fault, though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I was reading a report about Batfleck the other day and apparently Matt Reeves wants to do a very noir type Batman movie and he sees parallels between Batman and Caesar (from Reeves' Apes film).

I'm excited to see what Reeves does.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

purple death ray posted:

I realized a while back that every single version of Batman has at least one thing about it that is great and extremely true to the character and the world he's in. Whether it's visuals, music, a single line, every one of them has something to add.

66 - Camp, villains
Burton - Visuals, music
BTAS - Noir, Alfred
Schumacher - Camp (again), one-liners
Nolan - Gadgets, GCPD, Gordon
Batfleck - "Batman is kind of a loving idiot"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

66 - Camp, villains
Burton - Visuals, music
BTAS - Noir, Alfred

Batfleck is a great looking Batman. The costume is great, the fight scene is great, the gadgets all look great. Justice League isn't out yet but "I'm real when it's useful" is such a fantastic Batman line. The scene where he is perched in the corner hiding from the cop is also great. His Batmobile is pretty cool but would be much better if it had the Arkham Knight style bat tire treads.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Big Mean Jerk posted:

66 - Camp, villains
Burton - Visuals, music
BTAS - Noir, Alfred

For Schumaker I'd also point to the awesome insane gothic landscapes and stage design.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Forever has some great set design and B&R has some of the most fun villains ever, Bane excluded. Forever also has Kiss From A Rose.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Henry Cavill certainly looks the part for Superman. It's a shame he doesn't have the red underwear on the outside, though. That's the main thing I've disliked about his costume (in BvS anyway - I didn't really like it in MoS because it was too grey for me - it was bluer in BvS).

What role in the DCEU was it that Warner Bros. or whoever wanted Armie Hammer for? Was it Superman or Batman? I watched The Lone Ranger recently (I think it's the most Jerry Bruckheimer movie ever produced but in retrospect it has some really cool-looking action setpieces) and it occurred to me that there's been more than one attempt to turn him into an action leading man (see also: The Man From U.N.C.L.E. remake which Cavill was also in*).

* It's a shame Cavill - being Superman - will probably never play James Bond.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Wheat Loaf posted:

What role in the DCEU was it that Warner Bros. or whoever wanted Armie Hammer for? Was it Superman or Batman?

I believe he was the Batman in the aborted George Miller Justice League film. Yhese days, the Tock is making comments about wanting him to play Shazam.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MacheteZombie posted:

There's a reason everyone loves Batman 66.

The whole idea is that a grown man dresses up like a giant bat to fight criminals. I've never seen a version of Batman that passed the straight face test for me, and I think Batman works better when the setting tacitly acknowledges that this whole thing is a little or a lot silly.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Batman is such a versatile character that you can put him into pretty much any setting and he will work.

Horror? Check.
Action? Check.
Noir? Check.
Camp? Check
Comedy? Check
Romance? Check

And the best thing is, no matter which angle you go with, there's probably a comic book issue you can find inspiration from!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GOt9-M5Pdc

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

zoux posted:

Honestly, it's not a bad idea to have Batman realize that Superman has a mom, an earthly upbringing, and a relatable connection. It's just that "you're killing Martha" is about the clumsiest, least organic way to do it.

I feel like this is the opinion of everyone worth listening to. The idea behind it is good. The execution is terrible.

There's a lot of that in MoS and BvS and Suicide Squad. I believe that to be why those films are all pretty divisive (except SS hilariously enough). If you look at the idea behind it and forgive the execution, you're likely to lean more favorably. If you skip over the idea and focus on the execution, you're likely to lean to the other side. I think that's how I actually really didn't like MoS, found BvS to be painfully ok, and actually liked Suicide Squad despite thinking they're about equal in quality.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's also shot in the foot by the fact that ten minutes earlier Batman is taunting Superman and says "I bet your parents taught you you were special", like he's already realized that Superman has parents and all that, so literally it has to be the fact that they're both named Martha

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The whole "Martha" scene feels like someone was really married to the idea of "Oh, my God, their mothers have the same name! We gotta do something with that!" and insisted on cramming it in because they thought it was super clever.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Aping WHM, the Martha Manhunters

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

Henry Cavill certainly looks the part for Superman. It's a shame he doesn't have the red underwear on the outside, though. That's the main thing I've disliked about his costume (in BvS anyway - I didn't really like it in MoS because it was too grey for me - it was bluer in BvS).

What role in the DCEU was it that Warner Bros. or whoever wanted Armie Hammer for? Was it Superman or Batman? I watched The Lone Ranger recently (I think it's the most Jerry Bruckheimer movie ever produced but in retrospect it has some really cool-looking action setpieces) and it occurred to me that there's been more than one attempt to turn him into an action leading man (see also: The Man From U.N.C.L.E. remake which Cavill was also in*).

It's probably cliched in hindsight now but as flawed as the Man from U.N.C.L.E. was, I thought it was pretty fun and really drew a contrast as to Cavill as directed/playing Superman vs Napoleon Solo. He was as charming as his Supes/CK was dour, really showed what could've been, more of the uplifting Christopher Reeves-type.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

The whole "Martha" scene feels like someone was really married to the idea of "Oh, my God, their mothers have the same name! We gotta do something with that!" and insisted on cramming it in because they thought it was super clever.

Pretty much. It's not a bad idea to have that shared connection but they didn't put the groundwork in for it.

"S-save my mother... Martha..." or something would have worked a lot better, him revealing her identity and begging him and the name just being a coincidence instead of "Save Martha" which is an incredibly false-sounding line.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sticksy posted:

It's probably cliched in hindsight now but as flawed as the Man from U.N.C.L.E. was, I thought it was pretty fun and really drew a contrast as to Cavill as directed/playing Superman vs Napoleon Solo. He was as charming as his Supes/CK was dour, really showed what could've been, more of the uplifting Christopher Reeves-type.

I liked Man From U.N.C.L.E. I'd put it on par with Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes movies, which I still like a great deal as well.* It's pretty clearly in the same line as a lot of other pictures like Dracula Untold or more recently The Mummy remake with Tom Cruise (among others) where there's been instructions at some stage that it has to be the springboard for a big blockbuster action franchise, but I think it does decently well as a Cold War spy adventure.

And, quite frankly, if somebody wanted to make some kind of "Catch-all 1960s Action Show Shared Cinematic Universe" franchise with Lew Grade's ITC shows, the original Mission Impossible, Man From U.N.C.L.E., Wild Wild West etc. where Tom Hiddleston is John Steed, Emily Blunt is Emma Peel and Hugh Jackman is Jason King, I certainly wouldn't object. I love all that old silly stuff. :D

* It's recently occurred to me, though, that when you get down to it, they're not exactly Sherlock Holmes movies - they're Sexton Blake movies.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

They coulda had Superman mention his mother, and that would have been enough to get a reaction out of Batman. Then Batman's all "Hey what's your mom's name?" and Superman says "Martha" and Batman's like "Aww no poo poo that's my mom's name too!"

Like have the emphasis on Superman being humanized to Batman instead of the name.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jamesman posted:

They coulda had Superman mention his mother, and that would have been enough to get a reaction out of Batman. Then Batman's all "Hey what's your mom's name?" and Superman says "Martha" and Batman's like "Aww no poo poo that's my mom's name too!"

Like have the emphasis on Superman being humanized to Batman instead of the name.

Yeah, maybe they should have had Clark break down during that scene or something. Anguished in defeat, face in tears, while saying "You're letting Luthor kill my mother. Her name... is Martha... Kent. Find her. You can kill me, but Luthor will kill my mom either way. It makes no difference to him. You can kill me, but please, save her." Something to that effect, while showing Bruce having that same kind of reaction Anton Ego did in Ratatouille when he remembered when his mom used to make him ratatouille as a kid.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

teagone posted:

Yeah, maybe they should have had Clark break down during that scene or something. Anguished in defeat, face in tears, while saying "You're letting Luthor kill my mother. Her name... is Martha... Kent. Find her. You can kill me, but Luthor will kill my mom either way. It makes no difference to him. You can kill me, but please, save her."

this way better writing than the actual film. like no poo poo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

And, quite frankly, if somebody wanted to make some kind of "Catch-all 1960s Action Show Shared Cinematic Universe" franchise with Lew Grade's ITC shows, the original Mission Impossible, Man From U.N.C.L.E., Wild Wild West etc. where Tom Hiddleston is John Steed, Emily Blunt is Emma Peel and Hugh Jackman is Jason King, I certainly wouldn't object. I love all that old silly stuff. :D

I never knew how much I wanted this until now. Not sure I'd buy Hiddleston as Steed though.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Jamesman posted:

Given the movie's clear emphasis on fathers, Martha shouldn't have entered into it, really. They should have focused instead on Superman reaching out to Lois, and parallel that with Thomas Wayne's dying action of reaching out to the woman he loves. The scene is already pretty much set up that way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I never knew how much I wanted this until now. Not sure I'd buy Hiddleston as Steed though.

The only person I could think of who sort of looks like Macnee from the 60s is, erm, David Cameron. :v:

Matt Smith could be Steed. That's just come to me. I'm just a huge Kim Newman fan who thinks up alternate versions of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen for fun (1970s/80s American action show League: led in the field by Scarecrow and Mrs King, their powerhouse is Jaime Sommers the Bionic Woman, their "M" is Laura Holt acting through Remington Steele) so I love the idea of shared universes even if most of them are a bit naff - especially these movie ones - because the cart always goes before the horse.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 6, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I swear I read that Cavill is still on the short list for the next James Bond.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The only person I could think of who sort of looks like Macnee from the 60s is, erm, David Cameron. :v:

Matt Smith could be Steed. That's just come to me. I'm just a huge Kim Newman fan who thinks up alternate versions of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen for fun (1970s/80s American action show League: led in the field by Scarecrow and Mrs King, their powerhouse is Jaime Sommers the Bionic Woman, their "M" is Laura Holt acting through Remington Steele) so I love the idea of shared universes even if most of them are a bit naff - especially these movie ones - because the cart always goes before the horse.

Definitely need people who can do charming, absurd and funny effortlessly for the (OG) Avengers so I'd go with a combo of Kayvan Novak and Phoebe Waller-Bridge. Really struggling to think of any man alive worthy of being a new Jason King, tho.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I swear I read that Cavill is still on the short list for the next James Bond.

I have no doubt that Eon (or whoever makes it now) probably wants him; I'm pretty sure they've wanted him since 2005. But I'm mindful that no Bond has ever already been a reliable movie star when they were cast.

The biggest name pre-Bond was Roger Moore and he was mainly known for his telly work; Pierce Brosnan was known, but again, mainly just for television, and Remington Steele had been done for close to 10 years by the time he actually got to play Bond (fun fact: apparently Broccoli went off Brosnan in the interim between Licence To Kill and GoldenEye and had shifted his attention to Liam Neeson instead). If Cavill is still making Supermans when Craig quits, I don't think he'd go over to be James Bond.

But who knows? It was a long time ago when that was the way it was, and the movie landscape has changed, even since Casino Royale.

Sentinel Red posted:

Really struggling to think of any man alive worthy of being a new Jason King, tho.

It's true, Wyngarde was and is one of a kind and put so much of himself into Jason King that it probably makes the character nearly impossible to recast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

My mom's name is Martha, so that bvs scene really spoke to me

• Locked thread